Raw milk can be dangerous

People drank raw milk for thousands of years before pasteurization was invented.
..but I understand you (OP) need to support statist policies in government.

Here's a little something to think about for those who keep telling us the government should stay out of our business and allow free sale of raw milk.

45 in Utah have campylobacteriosis from raw milk - CNN.com

How about the government just require raw milk to be LABELLED as raw milk, and let the customer decide?

The government should be required to label all foods that have been modified in one way or another as such (GMOs, hormones, etc).
The government doesn't want the people to be in control of what they produce and eat.
Watch the documentary Food INC. Its a great movie and a real eye opener.

Here's a little something to think about for those who keep telling us the government should stay out of our business and allow free sale of raw milk.

How about the government just require raw milk to be LABELLED as raw milk, and let the customer decide?

The government should be required to label all foods that have been modified in one way or another as such (GMOs, hormones, etc).
The government doesn't want the people to be in control of what they produce and eat.

or just label foods with whats in them, regardless. I personally don't give a rats ass about GMO's, transfats, and whatever, but if people want to know if they are in them, fine by me.

I probably wouldn't drink raw milk, but I would love to have a nice unpasteurized french style cheese from time to time.

or just label foods with whats in them, regardless. I personally don't give a rats ass about GMO's, transfats, and whatever, but if people want to know if they are in them, fine by me.

I probably wouldn't drink raw milk, but I would love to have a nice unpasteurized french style cheese from time to time.

Being with child, it makes me more aware of what I'm putting into my body.
I'd much rather eat organically, even not being pregnant.

Not positive but I think the whole raw milk thing skips the government altogether. Basically some guy on his farm putting it in a container and selling it.

The government created the food pyramid that was bought and paid for by the grain lobby. The food pyramid that has created the present obesity epidemic. How many have died from heart disease and diabetes by following government suggestions as to a "healthy" diet?

Not positive but I think the whole raw milk thing skips the government altogether. Basically some guy on his farm putting it in a container and selling it.

Yep, and the USDA is being heavy handed about it, FOR THE CHILDREN.

Just make farmer bob put a label on it that says "raw milk, ooga booga" and be done with it.

People drank raw milk for thousands of years before pasteurization was invented.

True, but many died because of it and the life expectancy was much lower. You want to go back to those days?

I read the article.
The illness was not caused by raw milk itself, but the lack of proper hygiene procedures.

My point wasn't that raw milk was necessarily bad, but that if government didn't have laws and inspections, this kind of thing would happen much more often.

True, but many died because of it and the life expectancy was much lower. You want to go back to those days?
I doubt milk has had anything to do with life expectancy.
Just like its not raw eggs that make you sick but rather the bacteria on the shell (it comes out of a chicken's ass). If a cow's udders aren't cleaned properly, there is the chance of getting sick.
Pasteurization kills off not only harmful bacteria but beneficial bacteria as well.

Just like its not raw eggs that make you sick but rather the bacteria on the shell (it comes out of a chicken's ass). If a cow's udders aren't cleaned properly, there is the chance of getting sick.
Pasteurization kills off not only harmful bacteria but beneficial bacteria as well.

Not exactly my point. The poster pointed to one thing in the past and I pointed to another. The aren't related except that just because something was true in the past, doesn't automatically make it good and/or true.

Look at the fine print in prescription drugs. You can get T.B. or be inclined to kill yourself or someone else. Fatal events have occurred. Prescription drugs are ten times more dangerous than raw milk.

Not exactly my point. The poster pointed to one thing in the past and I pointed to another. The aren't related except that just because something was true in the past, doesn't automatically make it good and/or true.
You were implying that life expectancy was lower than it is today because of raw milk. Many sicknesses and diseases started disappearing when hygiene and cleanliness started improving, including with food. You need to consider the living conditions throughout history that influenced our health. There are many health benefits from drinking raw milk that has been handled properly.
Benefits of Raw Milk LIVESTRONG.COM

Raw Milk Facts...The Raw Milk Information Guide You Can Trust
Raw Milk Reality Benefits of Raw Milk

Look at the fine print in prescription drugs. You can get T.B. or be inclined to kill yourself or someone else. Fatal events have occurred. Prescription drugs are ten times more dangerous than raw milk.
You have a one in six million chance of getting sick from raw milk. That's a very small chance.

""What we've discovered is that an employee had not been thoroughly cleaning the udders of the cows," Larry Lewis with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food told CNN affiliate KSL. "That is introducing contamination, manure and feces that are in that area into the milk, which is a major problem."

I imagine this was an undocumented immigrant worker.

They often work in dairies. They also test positive for TB quite frequently.

Cool...let's encourage more undocumented illegals to jump the borders, and put them to work handling our food. Good idea!

Forum List

Back