Raw milk can be dangerous

People drank raw milk for thousands of years before pasteurization was invented.
..but I understand you (OP) need to support statist policies in government.

True, but many died because of it and the life expectancy was much lower. You want to go back to those days?
I doubt milk has had anything to do with life expectancy.
Just like its not raw eggs that make you sick but rather the bacteria on the shell (it comes out of a chicken's ass). If a cow's udders aren't cleaned properly, there is the chance of getting sick.
Pasteurization kills off not only harmful bacteria but beneficial bacteria as well.

Not exactly my point. The poster pointed to one thing in the past and I pointed to another. The aren't related except that just because something was true in the past, doesn't automatically make it good and/or true.
You were implying that life expectancy was lower than it is today because of raw milk. Many sicknesses and diseases started disappearing when hygiene and cleanliness started improving, including with food. You need to consider the living conditions throughout history that influenced our health. There are many health benefits from drinking raw milk that has been handled properly.
Benefits of Raw Milk LIVESTRONG.COM
Raw Milk Facts...The Raw Milk Information Guide You Can Trust
Raw Milk Reality Benefits of Raw Milk
Emigration and moving people around causes high infant mortality. That is what made the life expectancy seem so low. There are actually fewer centenarians today.

""What we've discovered is that an employee had not been thoroughly cleaning the udders of the cows," Larry Lewis with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food told CNN affiliate KSL. "That is introducing contamination, manure and feces that are in that area into the milk, which is a major problem."

I imagine this was an undocumented immigrant worker.

They often work in dairies. They also test positive for TB quite frequently.

Cool...let's encourage more undocumented illegals to jump the borders, and put them to work handling our food. Good idea!

45 in Utah have campylobacteriosis from raw milk - CNN.com
They seldom if ever work in dairies. They also seldom test positive for TB.

To date, 45 cases of diarrhea which MAY HAVE BEEN Campylobacter infections have been reported in people who indicated that they MAY HAVE CONSUMED some raw milk OR CREAM in the WEEK before their DIARRHEA began. Larry Lewis with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, SPECULATES THAT MAYBE an employee had not been thoroughly cleaning the udders of the cows properly.

Educate yourself:

'
According to Dr. Laurence Nickey, director of the El Paso heath district “Contagious diseases that are generally considered to have been controlled in the United States are readily evident along the border ... The incidence of tuberculosis in El Paso County is twice that of the U.S. rate. Dr. Nickey also states that leprosy, which is considered by most Americans to be a disease of the Third World, is readily evident along the U.S.-Mexico border and that dysentery is several times the U.S. rate ... People have come to the border for economic opportunities, but the necessary sewage treatment facilities, public water systems, environmental enforcement, and medical care have not been made available to them, causing a severe risk to health and well being of people on both sides of the border.”1

A June, 2009 article in the New England Journal of Medicine noted that a majority (57.8%) of all new cases of tuberculosis in the United States in 2007 were diagnosed in foreign-born persons. The TB infection rate among foreign-born persons was 9.8 times as high as that among U.S.-born persons.2 The article documents the medical testing process for TB required of immigrants and refugees, and this points to foreigners who are unscreened, especially the illegal alien population as the logical source of this disproportionate rate of TB incidence. It should also be kept in mind that among U.S. citizens who contract TB their exposure to the disease may well have come from exposure to a non-U.S. citizen.

“The pork tapeworm, which thrives in Latin America and Mexico, is showing up along the U.S. border, threatening to ravage victims with symptoms ranging from seizures to death. ... The same [Mexican] underclass has migrated north to find jobs on the border, bringing the parasite and the sickness—cysticercosis—its eggs can cause[.] Cysts that form around the larvae usually lodge in the brain and destroy tissue, causing hallucinations, speech and vision problems, severe headaches, strokes, epileptic seizures, and in rare cases death.”3

The problem, however, is not confined to the border region, as illegal immigrants have rapidly spread across the country into many new economic sectors such as food processing, construction, and hospitality services.

Typhoid struck Silver Spring, Maryland, in 1992 when an immigrant from the Third World (who had been working in food service in the United States for almost two years) transmitted the bacteria through food at the McDonald’s where she worked. River blindness, malaria, and guinea worm, have all been brought to Northern Virginia by immigration.4"

http://www.fairus.org/issue/illegal-immigration-and-public-health

1. Statement on behalf of the American Medical Association to the Committee on Public Works and Transportation, U.S. House of Representatives, May 7, 1991.
  2. Liu, Yecai, et al., “Oveseas Screening for Tuberculosis in U.S.-Bound Immigrants and Refugees,” New England Journal of Medicine, June 4, 2009.
  3. Houston Chronicle, November 3, 1992.
  4. Influx of Exotic Diseases Keep Doctors Hopping,” Fairfax Journal, May 8, 1992.
  5. "Health officials say there is a correlation between increases in tuberculosis cases in recent years and the influx of residents from countries where disease prevention is substandard.” “36 Students in Alexandria Test Positive for TB Exposure,” Washington Post, June 8, 1995.
  6. "Taking it to the Streets" Los Angeles Times, October 2, 1993.
  7. Employee Benefit Research Group study, January 1995. “The study suggests the very high degree to which that population [illegal aliens] is contributing to uncompensated costs.” EBRI President Dallas Salisbury, Washington Post, January 25, 1995.
  8. Assessment of Potential Impact of Undocumented Person on National Health Reform, National Health Foundation, April 14, 1993.
  9. See [URL='http://www.fairus.org/issue/PageNavigator/issues/publications/']FAIR publications.
  1. Madeleine Peiner Cosman, Ph.D., Esq. “Illegal Aliens and American Medicine,” Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Spring 2005.
[/URL]

People drank raw milk for thousands of years before pasteurization was invented.

True, but many died because of it and the life expectancy was much lower. You want to go back to those days?
Just like its not raw eggs that make you sick but rather the bacteria on the shell (it comes out of a chicken's ass). If a cow's udders aren't cleaned properly, there is the chance of getting sick.
Pasteurization kills off not only harmful bacteria but beneficial bacteria as well.

Not exactly my point. The poster pointed to one thing in the past and I pointed to another. The aren't related except that just because something was true in the past, doesn't automatically make it good and/or true.
You were implying that life expectancy was lower than it is today because of raw milk. Many sicknesses and diseases started disappearing when hygiene and cleanliness started improving, including with food. You need to consider the living conditions throughout history that influenced our health. There are many health benefits from drinking raw milk that has been handled properly.
Emigration and moving people around causes high infant mortality. That is what made the life expectancy seem so low. There are actually fewer centenarians today.

They don't drink enough milk.

How do we know that bacteria on the shell has made anyone sick. These are epidemiological associations. There is no proof of cause.

How do we know that bacteria on the shell has made anyone sick. These are epidemiological associations. There is no proof of cause.

Or we could just not hire undocumented aliens to work in dairies.

Problem solved.

""What we've discovered is that an employee had not been thoroughly cleaning the udders of the cows," Larry Lewis with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food told CNN affiliate KSL. "That is introducing contamination, manure and feces that are in that area into the milk, which is a major problem."

Cool...let's encourage more undocumented illegals to jump the borders, and put them to work handling our food. Good idea!

They seldom if ever work in dairies. They also seldom test positive for TB.

To date, 45 cases of diarrhea which MAY HAVE BEEN Campylobacter infections have been reported in people who indicated that they MAY HAVE CONSUMED some raw milk OR CREAM in the WEEK before their DIARRHEA began. Larry Lewis with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, SPECULATES THAT MAYBE an employee had not been thoroughly cleaning the udders of the cows properly.

Educate yourself:

'
According to Dr. Laurence Nickey, director of the El Paso heath district “Contagious diseases that are generally considered to have been controlled in the United States are readily evident along the border ... The incidence of tuberculosis in El Paso County is twice that of the U.S. rate. Dr. Nickey also states that leprosy, which is considered by most Americans to be a disease of the Third World, is readily evident along the U.S.-Mexico border and that dysentery is several times the U.S. rate ... People have come to the border for economic opportunities, but the necessary sewage treatment facilities, public water systems, environmental enforcement, and medical care have not been made available to them, causing a severe risk to health and well being of people on both sides of the border.”1

A June, 2009 article in the New England Journal of Medicine noted that a majority (57.8%) of all new cases of tuberculosis in the United States in 2007 were diagnosed in foreign-born persons. The TB infection rate among foreign-born persons was 9.8 times as high as that among U.S.-born persons.2 The article documents the medical testing process for TB required of immigrants and refugees, and this points to foreigners who are unscreened, especially the illegal alien population as the logical source of this disproportionate rate of TB incidence. It should also be kept in mind that among U.S. citizens who contract TB their exposure to the disease may well have come from exposure to a non-U.S. citizen.

“The pork tapeworm, which thrives in Latin America and Mexico, is showing up along the U.S. border, threatening to ravage victims with symptoms ranging from seizures to death. ... The same [Mexican] underclass has migrated north to find jobs on the border, bringing the parasite and the sickness—cysticercosis—its eggs can cause[.] Cysts that form around the larvae usually lodge in the brain and destroy tissue, causing hallucinations, speech and vision problems, severe headaches, strokes, epileptic seizures, and in rare cases death.”3

The problem, however, is not confined to the border region, as illegal immigrants have rapidly spread across the country into many new economic sectors such as food processing, construction, and hospitality services.

Typhoid struck Silver Spring, Maryland, in 1992 when an immigrant from the Third World (who had been working in food service in the United States for almost two years) transmitted the bacteria through food at the McDonald’s where she worked. River blindness, malaria, and guinea worm, have all been brought to Northern Virginia by immigration.4"

http://www.fairus.org/issue/illegal-immigration-and-public-health

• Statement on behalf of the American Medical Association to the Committee on Public Works and Transportation, U.S. House of Representatives, May 7, 1991.
    • Liu, Yecai, et al., “Oveseas Screening for Tuberculosis in U.S.-Bound Immigrants and Refugees,” New England Journal of Medicine, June 4, 2009.
    • Houston Chronicle, November 3, 1992.
    • Influx of Exotic Diseases Keep Doctors Hopping,” Fairfax Journal, May 8, 1992.
    • "Health officials say there is a correlation between increases in tuberculosis cases in recent years and the influx of residents from countries where disease prevention is substandard.” “36 Students in Alexandria Test Positive for TB Exposure,” Washington Post, June 8, 1995.
    • "Taking it to the Streets" Los Angeles Times, October 2, 1993.
    • Employee Benefit Research Group study, January 1995. “The study suggests the very high degree to which that population [illegal aliens] is contributing to uncompensated costs.” EBRI President Dallas Salisbury, Washington Post, January 25, 1995.
    • Assessment of Potential Impact of Undocumented Person on National Health Reform, National Health Foundation, April 14, 1993.
  1. See FAIR publications.
  2. Madeleine Peiner Cosman, Ph.D., Esq. “Illegal Aliens and American Medicine,” Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Spring 2005.
The incidence of tuberculosis in the US is 4.6 per 100,000 population. Twice that is only 9.2 per 100,000 population.

So? The claim of the lunatic fringe is that latin americans don't suffer under a much higher incidence.

They're wrong, as usual. Or lying.

Or we could just not hire undocumented aliens to work in dairies.

Problem solved.
How many raw milk dairies hire undocumented aliens. The second largest raw milk dairy in California only has 65 cows. Many have only 3 or 4.

The incidence of tuberculosis in El Paso County is apparently 9.2 per 100,000 population. The incidence of tuberculosis in the US is still 4.6 per 100,000 population. It isn’t zero. But when was the last documented case of TB in a raw milk consumer.

Oh my claim isn't that we're getting tb from undocumented workers in dairies. I simply pointed out that they are more likely to contaminate us.

We're much more likely to pick up worms and ecoli and other nasty bugs from them.

The nature of undocumented workers and their employers means that we really don't know how many are working in the dairy industry. Having known undocumented workers that worked not only in the fields (as we all know) but also in dairies, I'm confident the incidence is quite a bit higher than anyone really appreciates.

Oh my claim isn't that we're getting tb from undocumented workers in dairies. I simply pointed out that they are more likely to contaminate us.

We're much more likely to pick up worms and ecoli and other nasty bugs from them.

The nature of undocumented workers and their employers means that we really don't know how many are working in the dairy industry. Having known undocumented workers that worked not only in the fields (as we all know) but also in dairies, I'm confident the incidence is quite a bit higher than anyone really appreciates.
TB is a disease of the poor, malnourished, and immune compromised. So just make sure no one is poor, malnourished, and immune compromised, problem solved, as you say.

They don't drink enough milk.
Jokes, another sign of the troll.

You imagine this scenario due to your personal bias and bigotry. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? No, of course you don't.

"
Who should get tested for TB?
  • A person who has symptoms of active TB disease
  • A person who has been exposed to someone (a family member, friend, or co-worker) who has active TB disease
  • A person who has HIV infection or certain medical illnesses such as diabetes or chronic kidney failure
  • A person who is taking steroid or other immune suppressing drugs for chronic medical conditions
  • A person who lives or works in a homeless shelter, prison, hospital, nursing home or other similar group setting
  • A person who has recently come to the U.S. from a region with a lot of active TB such as Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Eastern Europe, and Latin America"
Tuberculosis United Federation of Teachers
So, are they "a family member, friend, or co-worker"?

You imagine this scenario due to your personal bias and bigotry. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? No, of course you don't.

"
Who should get tested for TB?
  • A person who has symptoms of active TB disease
  • A person who has been exposed to someone (a family member, friend, or co-worker) who has active TB disease
  • A person who has HIV infection or certain medical illnesses such as diabetes or chronic kidney failure
  • A person who is taking steroid or other immune suppressing drugs for chronic medical conditions
  • A person who lives or works in a homeless shelter, prison, hospital, nursing home or other similar group setting
  • A person who has recently come to the U.S. from a region with a lot of active TB such as Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Eastern Europe, and Latin America"
Tuberculosis United Federation of Teachers
So, are they "a family member, friend, or co-worker"?

None of the above.

"
"If I was to lose them, I don't know how we'd get the job done"

Mexican banda music blares in a milk parlor down the road. The farmer who owns this place doesn't want to give his name because he's fairly certain some of his workers are undocumented. He says he lives with the fear of a bust or an immigration audit every day.

"If they were to come in and they were to discover that perhaps some of these guys aren't legal, and I was to lose them, I don't know how we'd get the job done the next milking."
What undocumented dairy workers think of immigration reform News from North Country Public Radio

"They milk through the long winter, and clean frozen manure when the temperature drops below zero and the cows breathe heavy clouds of steam into the pre-dawn air. They milk in spring when everywhere there’s mud. In summer, they milk as the sun paints the barn walls with the same golden hue that lit their walks with a sweetheart or friend in their distant villages. It seems such a simple pleasure, but for the maybe 2,000 dairy workers in Vermont without legal papers..."

In This State For Mexican workers Vermont a land of milk and money

Again. My mama told me..don't get raw milk from places that have undocumented workers. Unless you want to get worms, tb or ecoli.

""If you're an owner, you take risks, fine," said Rebecca Fuentes, a member of the group. But she said it's different for dairy workers, many of whom are undocumented immigrants."

"Fuentes said workers aren't trained properly, may not have protective equipment and work very long hours, often without a day off."

"Alvarez, an undocumented immigrant from Mexico, was working on the Chenango County farm for a few weeks when he was attacked by the bull...."

Dairy dangers As production rises so do concerns about farm workers safety - Times Union

Last edited:

Forum List

Back