Re-Evaluating Newt..

And as I recall, one of the major health insurance providers in Arizona DID run into trouble and get purchased by a competitor not that long ago. I don't know why the left thinks size somehow makes companies immune to making bad business decisions and suffering the consequences.

No, they're NOT going out of business at the moment. Why? Because despite the left's propaganda, the majority of their customers don't think they suck.

Don't be ridiculous. I have Cigna because that's what my employer offers. Not because Cigna is so great.

And since when do you tweekos think the common man has such a huge voice in the government? I thought your droning mantra was that the government was bought and paid for by rich people, and that was why we needed to "get 'em".

Could you try to be consistent for AT LEAST five minutes at a stretch? Trying to follow your flip-flops is giving me whiplash.

Let me break it down for you: You have MORE of a voice in your government than in your health insurance company. That does not mean that your government is perfect. Just that it's more responsive than a corporation.

And as I recall, one of the major health insurance providers in Arizona DID run into trouble and get purchased by a competitor not that long ago. I don't know why the left thinks size somehow makes companies immune to making bad business decisions and suffering the consequences.

Wow, a single example!

No, they're NOT going out of business at the moment. Why? Because despite the left's propaganda, the majority of their customers don't think they suck.

Don't be ridiculous. I have Cigna because that's what my employer offers. Not because Cigna is so great.

And since when do you tweekos think the common man has such a huge voice in the government? I thought your droning mantra was that the government was bought and paid for by rich people, and that was why we needed to "get 'em".

Could you try to be consistent for AT LEAST five minutes at a stretch? Trying to follow your flip-flops is giving me whiplash.

Let me break it down for you: You have MORE of a voice in your government than in your health insurance company. That does not mean that your government is perfect. Just that it's more responsive than a corporation.
Thats funny, because when i call my insurance carrier and tell them to drop a coverage or add a rider they do it right away... not an option with the government.

Thats funny, because when i call my insurance carrier and tell them to drop a coverage or add a rider they do it right away... not an option with the government.

Oh, you mean they're willing to take your money, and they can't charge you for a product you tell them that you don't want? That's great.

Most of us have coverage through our employers. We have one chance a year to make changes. And all of this misses the point. The point is what happens when you're sick.

And YOU are the only person in the country who has Cigna, are you?

Besides, YOU aren't the customer in that case, are you? You're the CONSUMER, but it's your employer who's the real customer there.

Feel free to prove to me that the government is responsive to the individual voter AT ALL. They're the ultimate monopoly. Don't like it? What the fuck are you going to do about it? Civil servants don't have their reputation for bad attitudes for nothin'.

Wow, a single example!

And how many governments in this country have gone under or been subsumed by their competitors in that time? Oh, wait! The government doesn't HAVE any competitors, does it?

And how often do you hear about the government changing a policy or operational practice in response to consumer complaints? Hell, it's like parting the Red Sea to get them to make tiny policy changes in response to overwhelming elections! Most of the time, you vote in someone who promises big changes, and they just become another ineffectual cog in the same damned machine.

Having worked in medical offices and trained in insurance billing, I can tell you that private insurance companies approve and include new procedures and coverages a lot more often than Medicare and Medicaid do. After all, what are old geezers and poor people going to do about it?

Oh, you mean they're willing to take your money, and they can't charge you for a product you tell them that you don't want? That's great.

Most of us have coverage through our employers. We have one chance a year to make changes. And all of this misses the point. The point is what happens when you're sick.

Uh huh. And by all means, DO tell us what you think happens when you're sick on Cigna that's so radically worse than what happens when you're sick on Medicare or Medicaid. Never mind the monolithic unresponsiveness of the rest of every other government agency. Let's just compare government health coverage versus private.

well then the problem is not that the insurance comapny won't respond to you, it's that they respond to the people who pay for it... your employer. Stop wanting somebody else to pay for your shit and you can control how you use it, when you use it, and what you use. Employer paid benefits was one of the worst fucking moves we ever made in this country and it only came about as a way to get around wage controls imposed by democratic morons. Whining about something thats being provided for you is pretty fucking juvenile. Wanting somebody else to pay for it to be provided for you is down right childish.

well then the problem is not that the insurance comapny won't respond to you, it's that they respond to the people who pay for it... your employer. Stop wanting somebody else to pay for your shit and you can control how you use it, when you use it, and what you use. Employer paid benefits was one of the worst fucking moves we ever made in this country and it only came about as a way to get around wage controls imposed by democratic morons. Whining about something thats being provided for you is pretty fucking juvenile. Wanting somebody else to pay for it to be provided for you is down right childish.

The thing is, it isn't being "provided" to you, you are earning it. As you point out, they were offered as an alternatives to wages when wage controls were imposed during WWII.

In short, they were offered as an incentive beyond wages when you couldn't lure people to your job with the offer of more money. And it could be done cheaply because you are buying at group rates.

The thing is, the alternative would be to simply pay out to each employee what the company is providing in health insurance and let them shop for their own insurance.

The reality is that this would bring down the private insurance system even faster than it is collapsing now.

The young would simply buy the cheapest insurance they could, because young people would be pretty healthy.

Older folks wouldn't be able to buy insurance to save their lives, especially if they have a history of health issues.

And YOU are the only person in the country who has Cigna, are you?

Besides, YOU aren't the customer in that case, are you? You're the CONSUMER, but it's your employer who's the real customer there.

Feel free to prove to me that the government is responsive to the individual voter AT ALL. They're the ultimate monopoly. Don't like it? What the fuck are you going to do about it? Civil servants don't have their reputation for bad attitudes for nothin'.

I am the consumer of my health care. Not my employer.

Your response suggests the reflexive worship of existing power that conservatives are so often blinded by.

My health insurance is part of what I earn. My health is my entire existence. Just like you, assuming you are a human.

Our elected government is more responsive than a corporation.

And how often do you hear about the government changing a policy or operational practice in response to consumer complaints? Hell, it's like parting the Red Sea to get them to make tiny policy changes in response to overwhelming elections! Most of the time, you vote in someone who promises big changes, and they just become another ineffectual cog in the same damned machine.

Having worked in medical offices and trained in insurance billing, I can tell you that private insurance companies approve and include new procedures and coverages a lot more often than Medicare and Medicaid do. After all, what are old geezers and poor people going to do about it?

Don't tell me. Prove it.

Having just watched my father in a battle with cancer, I can tell you that Medicare is wonderful. When paired with his BC/BS Medigap insurance, he was treated at a world class cancer center and the two coverages, along with VA benefits for his medications, covered him completely.

In contrast, a friend is waiting to hear if her son's surgery to correct his rib cage pressing on his heart, causing his heart to be smaller than it should be for his age, will be covered by her insurance carrier.

Uh huh. And by all means, DO tell us what you think happens when you're sick on Cigna that's so radically worse than what happens when you're sick on Medicare or Medicaid. Never mind the monolithic unresponsiveness of the rest of every other government agency. Let's just compare government health coverage versus private.

Many examples were brought before the public during the health care debate.

Rescission Health Insurance | Blue Cross praised employees who dropped sick policyholders, lawmaker says - Los Angeles Times

You are completely out of touch with reality, incredibly childish, and seriously naive. My health insurance is not a gift. It is a benefit that is part of my compensation. I pay part of the premium, my employer pays part of the premium. Complaining that your insurance will not pay for your cancer treatment is not whining.

The thing is, it isn't being "provided" to you, you are earning it. As you point out, they were offered as an alternatives to wages when wage controls were imposed during WWII.

In short, they were offered as an incentive beyond wages when you couldn't lure people to your job with the offer of more money. And it could be done cheaply because you are buying at group rates.

The thing is, the alternative would be to simply pay out to each employee what the company is providing in health insurance and let them shop for their own insurance.

The reality is that this would bring down the private insurance system even faster than it is collapsing now.

The young would simply buy the cheapest insurance they could, because young people would be pretty healthy.

Older folks wouldn't be able to buy insurance to save their lives, especially if they have a history of health issues.

Rock solid information.

Last edited:
Government is not more responsive than Private Enterprise. Government can't even keep up. Even throwing obstacles in front of development, is overcome, circumvented. Centralized, Nationalized one size fits all, is where most of our problems arise from in the first place. Government Imposes, ans then turns around and blames us. Who do you think Private Enterprise is? Your Neighbors, Friends, Family. Let's distinguish between General Welfare concerns and Government Interference and meddling, on our dime. Yes, we pay the Government against our will to interfere and obstruct our daily lives unnecessarily.

Government is not more responsive than Private Enterprise. Government can't even keep up. Even throwing obstacles in front of development, is overcome, circumvented. Centralized, Nationalized one size fits all, is where most of our problems arise from in the first place. Government Imposes, ans then turns around and blames us. Who do you think Private Enterprise is? Your Neighbors, Friends, Family. Let's distinguish between General Welfare concerns and Government Interference and meddling, on our dime. Yes, we pay the Government against our will to interfere and obstruct our daily lives unnecessarily.

Our elected government is more responsive to the public than a private insurance corporation.

Both entities are large and bureaucratic. But only one of them allows me a vote.

Our elected government is more responsive to the public than a private insurance corporation.

Both entities are large and bureaucratic. But only one of them allows me a vote.
Translation: "I will vote to have my liberty, my freedom of choice in my decisions made for me by nameless, faceless bureaucrats..."

And Progressive Government Aided the Conglomerates in the first place, maybe because the Centralized control and National reach was appealing to Big Government and easier for Government to control and squeeze in the end, where as Small Enterprise was punished for it's existence, and treated poorly, by the Federal Government. The conglomerates are a product of Federal Government manipulation in the first place.

You already have guaranteed care- it's called medicaid.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

Medicaid has historically only been "guaranteed" to poor children and--when the family is very poor--their parents (and a few other high-need categories like pregnant women or aged, blind, or disabled folks). It isn't something that just anyone, or even any poor person, is eligible for. That's in the process of changing now but that's a substantial shift.

And how many governments in this country have gone under or been subsumed by their competitors in that time? Oh, wait! The government doesn't HAVE any competitors, does it?

There are indeed instances of the public and private sector competing in this area. For example, see this article about California's Medicaid program from last year:

Study: Public Medi-Cal Plans Scoring Higher for Popularity, Care Quality

California's 13 publicly run Medi-Cal managed care plans are attracting more enrollees and demonstrating higher quality than commercial Medi-Cal plans or fee-for-service options, according to a new study by the Pacific Health Consulting Group, Payers & Providers reports.

Medi-Cal is California's Medicaid program.

Popularity

Slightly more than half of California's 6.8 million Medi-Cal beneficiaries are enrolled in managed care plans, with the remainder obtaining care on a fee-for-service basis.

Of the Medi-Cal managed care members, about 61% are enrolled in public plans operated by a local government or agency.

The report predicts that by the end of 2010, that number will rise to 66% as Fresno, Kings, Madera and Ventura counties roll out new public Medi-Cal plans. Those plans are expected to attract 120,000 enrollees.

The study also notes that about 70% of Medi-Cal beneficiaries choose the public plan in counties where a public option competes with a commercial one.

Quality, Cost-Effectiveness

The study also found that public Medi-Cal managed care plans scored from 20% to 56% higher than commercial plans on the 2008 Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set measures.

In addition, the report found that the cost of providing care was 5% lower for public Medi-Cal plans compared with commercial ones. The study estimates that public plans have helped reduce state and federal spending by about $2 billion over the past 10 years (Payers & Providers, 3/4).

Medicaid has historically only been "guaranteed" to poor children and--when the family is very poor--their parents (and a few other high-need categories like pregnant women or aged, blind, or disabled folks). It isn't something that just anyone, or even any poor person, is eligible for. That's in the process of changing now but that's a substantial shift.

There are indeed instances of the public and private sector competing in this area. For example, see this article about California's Medicaid program from last year:

California's 13 publicly run Medi-Cal managed care plans are attracting more enrollees and demonstrating higher quality than commercial Medi-Cal plans or fee-for-service options, according to a new study by the Pacific Health Consulting Group, Payers & Providers reports.

Popularity

Slightly more than half of California's 6.8 million Medi-Cal beneficiaries are enrolled in managed care plans, with the remainder obtaining care on a fee-for-service basis.

Of the Medi-Cal managed care members, about 61% are enrolled in public plans operated by a local government or agency.

The report predicts that by the end of 2010, that number will rise to 66% as Fresno, Kings, Madera and Ventura counties roll out new public Medi-Cal plans. Those plans are expected to attract 120,000 enrollees.

The study also notes that about 70% of Medi-Cal beneficiaries choose the public plan in counties where a public option competes with a commercial one.

The study also found that public Medi-Cal managed care plans scored from 20% to 56% higher than commercial plans on the 2008 Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set measures.

In addition, the report found that the cost of providing care was 5% lower for public Medi-Cal plans compared with commercial ones. The study estimates that public plans have helped reduce state and federal spending by about $2 billion over the past 10 years (Payers & Providers, 3/4).

Competition is good. Guaranteed Payout with no Oversight is a problem. It's all in the foundation. The earlier an abuse is purged, the better off we all will be.

Popularity

Competition is good. Guaranteed Payout with no Oversight is a problem. It's all in the foundation. The earlier an abuse is purged, the better off we all will be.
And the less austere measures will will have to suffer. It's bad enough as it is. It's that the politicians aren't willing to find thier spines in lieu of keeping thier power over the rest of us.

Translation: "I will vote to have my liberty, my freedom of choice in my decisions made for me by nameless, faceless bureaucrats..."

Yes, that's what you're supporting. Having your health care decisions made by unknown bureaucrats at BC/BC.

Good posts, Greenbeard. You are a knowledgeable person.

Forum List

Back