Reagan & Conservatives -- Revisonist History 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, Camp? Saying Reagan's policies have not stood the test of time is laughably not true. There are conservative Governors as we speak that are using the same economic policies as Reagan espoused to stimulate their economies and having great results because of them. Then there is the matter of the longest period of sustained economic growth in our nation's history as a result of Reagan's economic policies.

Good point, but the word "espoused" gives the opportunity to debate. I will concede however that if Governors are indeed using his policies as differentiated from the original source in a composite way of his own compilation, that would constitute an originality that certainly would be worthy of accurately being viewed as a legacy.

LOL...I love it! When I used to teach I always had a few kids that tried to hide the fact that they didn't know what they were talking about with "flowery" language. Care to try that again in a sentence that's actually understandable, Camp?

All you need to do is compare where Reagan had the country going by year six of his Administration with where Obama has the country going in year six of HIS Administration to know that Reagan had a much better grasp of economics and was doing a much better job of stimulating the US economy than Obama has. It's quite frankly...not even close!

I am not interested in comparing Reagan and Obama. I would be interested in being able to research the Governors you mention that are using Reagan policies. Kasich? Brown? Is there a Governor who has garnered less attention but is perhaps more Reagan like than either of these two?

All you need to do is compare where Reagan had the country going by year six of his Administration with where Obama has the country going in year six of HIS Administration to know that Reagan had a much better grasp of economics and was doing a much better job of stimulating the US economy than Obama has. It's quite frankly...not even close!

I am not interested in comparing Reagan and Obama. I would be interested in being able to research the Governors you mention that are using Reagan policies. Kasich? Brown? Is there a Governor who has garnered less attention but is perhaps more Reagan like than either of these two?

Why wouldn't you want to compare Reagan and Obama? I can't think of two more different approaches to the economy than those two...so let's examine what has worked and what hasn't over a six year period for each!

What Brown are you referring to? I would hope that you're not calling Jerry Brown of California a Governor who's using Reagan's policies?

With all due respect, Camp? Saying Reagan's policies have not stood the test of time is laughably not true. There are conservative Governors as we speak that are using the same economic policies as Reagan espoused to stimulate their economies and having great results because of them. Then there is the matter of the longest period of sustained economic growth in our nation's history as a result of Reagan's economic policies.

Good point, but the word "espoused" gives the opportunity to debate. I will concede however that if Governors are indeed using his policies as differentiated from the original source in a composite way of his own compilation, that would constitute an originality that certainly would be worthy of accurately being viewed as a legacy.

LOL...I love it! When I used to teach I always had a few kids that tried to hide the fact that they didn't know what they were talking about with "flowery" language. Care to try that again in a sentence that's actually understandable, Camp?

Try this. There was nothing original about Reagan's policies. He simply adapted the ideas of others. Some worked, some didn't. Not much of a legacy.

As for what Republican Governors are having success using conservative principles? Just off the top of my head...Scott Walker, Bobby Jindal, John Kasich, Nikki Haley, Susana Martinez...

Would you like to point out the Democratic Governors that are having success using liberal principles? LOL

Try this. There was nothing original about Reagan's policies. He simply adapted the ideas of others. Some worked, some didn't. Not much of a legacy.
try this. Reagan didn't invent conservativism. Nobody said he did. And Obama didn't invent liberalism. Legacies are what they are, with or without your approval.

Why wouldn't you want to compare Reagan and Obama? I can't think of two more different approaches to the economy than those two...so let's examine what has worked and what hasn't over a six year period for each!

What Brown are you referring to? I would hope that you're not calling Jerry Brown of California a Governor who's using Reagan's policies?
Sorry, I supported and followed Scott Brown, not a Governor. I have a lot of information about him and his ideas.

Reagan espoused Supply Side economics when many on both sides of the aisle told him that he was out of his mind. His very own Vice President described what Reagan sought to do as "Voodoo Economics"! Yet Reagan believed in some basic economic fundamentals and stuck with them at serious political risk. Give the man credit because what he did worked. He was handed rampant Stagflation coming into office and by the time he left office he had turned the economy around and we were off to the races with the longest period of sustained economic growth in US history. I'm sorry but THAT is quite a "legacy"!

Sorry, I supported and followed Scott Brown, not a Governor. I have a lot of information about him and his ideas.

Now you've totally lost me...I thought we were talking about Governors? Scott Brown?

try this. Reagan didn't invent conservativism. Nobody said he did. And Obama didn't invent liberalism. Legacies are what they are, with or without your approval.

Reaganomics and conservatism are not the same. Reaganomics might be conservative but conservatism isn't always Reaganomics.
Sure is taking a long time to get a straight answer about what Republican Governor is folloowing the legacy of Ronald Reagan. Anybody?

Reaganomics and conservatism are not the same. Reaganomics might be conservative but conservatism isn't always Reaganomics.
Sure is taking a long time to get a straight answer about what Republican Governor is folloowing the legacy of Ronald Reagan. Anybody?

I answered that several posts ago...what's taking a long time is a reply to my question to you to name some Governors that are having success following liberal principles.

Scott Walker, the non-recalled governor of WI

John Kaisch Governor of Ohio

Thank you

As for what Republican Governors are having success using conservative principles? Just off the top of my head...Scott Walker, Bobby Jindal, John Kasich, Nikki Haley, Susana Martinez...

Would you like to point out the Democratic Governors that are having success using liberal principles? LOL

^ Nice!

With all due respect, Camp...the numbers nationally for Barack Obama would be appallingly bad if it WEREN'T for a bunch of Republican Governors creating jobs and turning their State economies around despite what has been happening in Washington DC. If you were to exclude Republican led States from the economic "snapshot" of the Obama Administration what you would end up with would be as ugly as it gets.

Thank you

So are you going to name some Democratic Governors that have turned their States economies around using liberal principles, Camp?

With all due respect, Camp...the numbers nationally for Barack Obama would be appallingly bad if it WEREN'T for a bunch of Republican Governors creating jobs and turning their State economies around despite what has been happening in Washington DC. If you were to exclude Republican led States from the economic "snapshot" of the Obama Administration what you would end up with would be as ugly as it gets.

TX is responsible for 25% of Obama's "Job Growth"

Is this finally the Summer of Recovery?

States in many ways are a microcosm of our Federal Government. It would seem to make sense that what works on a smaller scale should be emulated on a larger one...yet that isn't happening with this Administration. My question is why?

Thank you

So are you going to name some Democratic Governors that have turned their States economies around using liberal principles, Camp?

I'm not interested in defending liberal Governors. I have never been very interested in economics. My interest is in how Reaganomics are at work today. The discussion is about history and the Reagan legacy. Reaganomic principles are not so complicated. I want to look and see how they are being used, have they been adjusted to fit the times, what are the results, what are the chances that they will continue into the future. It seems the quickest and easyist way to do that is to examine how politicians are using them at present.

Thank you

I'm not interested in defending liberal Governors. I have never been very interested in economics. My interest is in how Reaganomics are at work today. The discussion is about history and the Reagan legacy. Reaganomic principles are not so complicated. I want to look and see how they are being used, have they been adjusted to fit the times, what are the results, what are the chances that they will continue into the future. It seems the quickest and easyist way to do that is to examine how politicians are using them at present.

LOL...well I understand your reluctance to defend liberal Governors, Camp but how can you critique one set of economic principles without talking about economic principles that run counter to them? It's why I asked you to compare Reagan at year 6 of his administration with Obama at year 6 of his administration. The two men have vastly different takes on economics and governance...surely we can look at what has taken place under each and reach some sort of conclusions as to whose ideas were more viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back