Reality Check: Why Did Trump Abandon the Iran Deal?

A lot of people in the US were against the Iran deal.

They elected someone who could do something abut it.

What's a lot, 30,40,50 or 60%? I venture to guess the majority of the U.S. population could have cared less. But when they are paying $4.00 a gallon of gas and lose any of their tax savings they may care.
That's silly. The US has enough oil capacity to bring down the price of oil whenever it gets to high. Tensions in the ME may cause prices to rise for a short time, but if it lasts the markets will respond by producing enough oil to bring them down.

Except our capacity for exportation is directly related to price. We tapped our cheap oil decades ago. Higher prices mean more exploration. Means more oil on the market. Which means lower prices. Causing a slow down in exploration till prices rise. Rinse, and repeat.
Not so, new technologies have uncovered vast new reserves that are not yet exploited and we already have wells that have not been producing because prices have not been high enough to make it profitable.

Man....I thought Obamabots were gullible.

But Trumpbots set a new (low) bar for being ignorant and easy to trick/con. And why not? They are mostly 'white', old, uneducated hicks from the sticks who long for the 1950's. Of course they are easy to con. They wouldn't know the real world if it fell on their head.

BTW - Trump is not lying this time (IMO). He probably really believes he is doing what he should do. But since Trump is incredibly naive and stupid, he can be manipulated SOOOOO easily.

White House people have time and time and time again called 'stupid' and 'an 'idiot'.

It is okay to be stupid if you realize you are and live within those limitations.

But when you are stupid (like Trump clearly is) PLUS you think you are smart AND surround yourself with people agreeing with you? That can be incredibly dangerous.

Last edited:

Trump is nothing but a stooge for Israel.

Israel wanted the Iran deal dead...so Trump did what he was told and killed it.

No...Israel did not directly order Trump to kill the deal. They (and American neocons led by John Bolton) manipulated the moronic Trump into doing EXACTLY what Israel wanted.

Now Israel is free to attack Iran and drag America into it's own war with Iran.

Yeah f

What's a lot, 30,40,50 or 60%? I venture to guess the majority of the U.S. population could have cared less. But when they are paying $4.00 a gallon of gas and lose any of their tax savings they may care.
How about it encourages the US to reverse the policies of the last administration and take advantage of the world's largest oil reserves.
America Now Leads the World In This Surprising Category

Man....I thought Obamabots were gullible.

But Trumpbots set a new (low) bar for being ignorant and easy to trick/con. And why not? They are mostly 'white', old, uneducated hicks from the sticks who long for the 1950's. Of course they are easy to con. They wouldn't know the real world if it fell on their head.

BTW - Trump is not lying this time (IMO). He probably really believes he is doing what he should do. But since Trump is incredibly naive and stupid, he can be manipulated SOOOOO easily.

White House people have time and time and time again called 'stupid' and 'an 'idiot'.

It is okay to be stupid if you realize you are and live within those limitation.

But when you are stupid (like Trump clearly is) PLUS you think you are smart AND surround yourself with people agreeing with you? That can be incredibly dangerous.
So what you are trying to say is you don't like Trump.

That's silly. The US has enough oil capacity to bring down the price of oil whenever it gets to high. Tensions in the ME may cause prices to rise for a short time, but if it lasts the markets will respond by producing enough oil to bring them down.

Except our capacity for exportation is directly related to price. We tapped our cheap oil decades ago. Higher prices mean more exploration. Means more oil on the market. Which means lower prices. Causing a slow down in exploration till prices rise. Rinse, and repeat.
Not so, new technologies have uncovered vast new reserves that are not yet exploited and we already have wells that have not been producing because prices have not been high enough to make it profitable.

I see you are falling for the MSM's ignorance on this subject.

America's proven oil reserves are a tiny fraction of countries like Canada, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.

U.S. Crude Oil, Natural Gas, and Natural Gas Proved Reserves, Year-end 2015

The World Factbook — Central Intelligence Agency

America does not have remotely enough oil - including all the over-hyped shale oil - to be energy self sufficient at it's present levels of usage.

And don't waste my time with any argument that does not include a link to an unbiased, factual source (as I have included).

I am not interested in your theories or MSM hype.

Post any reply to me on this subject without a link to an unbiased source and it will be ignored.

I meant exploration in that first sentence. The new technologies were developed because of the lure of 100+ per barrel oil. There is some rumbling in the oil patch as prices climb higher. Not enough yet but some.

America's proven oil reserves are a tiny fraction of countries like Canada, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.

America does not have remotely enough oil - including all the over-hyped shale oil - to be energy self sufficient at it's present levels of usage.

And don't waste my time with any argument that does not include a link to an unbiased, factual source (as I have included).

Post any reply to me on this subject without a link to an unbiased source and it will be ignored.
The US is third in oil production behind Russia and Saudi Arabia.

List of countries by oil production - Wikipedia

The US already produces more oil than it consumes and it has more capacity to produce than it is using. How much oil the US produces is determined only by market prices, and is limited in no other way.

I agree, most don't even know where iran is.

The US already produces more oil than it consumes and it has more capacity to produce than it is using. How much oil the US produces is determined only by market prices, and is limited in no other way.

No it doesn't...not even close.

You are making blank assumptions based on minimal data. Why oh why don't you people actually look beyond the headlines?

The following is from the U.S. Government:

'In 2017, the United States consumed a total of 7.26 billion barrels of petroleum products, an average of about 19.88 million barrels per day.'

How much oil is consumed in the United States? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

The United States does not produce REMOTELY near what it consumes.

What? Do you think America imports all that oil just for fun?

U.S. Total Crude Oil and Products Imports

Last edited:

I agree, most don't even know where iran is.

Yes they do.

They think it's that big thing over there that had that Shawl guy that fought that war with the head or Iraq - Osuma bin Saddam.

You are making blank assumptions based on minimal data. Why oh why don't you people actually look beyond the headlines?

'In 2017, the United States consumed a total of 7.26 billion barrels of petroleum products, an average of about 19.88 million barrels per day.'

How much oil is consumed in the United States? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

From your link:

In 2017, the US produced 14.46 millions of barrels per day and is the world's largest oil producer.

What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

And the US has an enormous latent capacity.

From your link:

In 2017, the US produced 14.46 millions of barrels per day and is the world's largest oil producer.

What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Your list is NOT just oil production....it includes other petroleum products as well.

Here is the list of OIL production - and ONLY oil production.

Weekly U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

What does it say for the week of May 4, 2018?

It says 10.703 million barrels of OIL PRODUCTION per day.

Yet...your own link says that America consumes 19.53 million barrels per day.

So...does America produce as much oil as it needs? Yes or no?

Last edited:

From your link:

Oh for God's sakes...what does it say on the chart right below the one you linked to? That America consumes almost 20 million barrels of oil per day.

Yet your link shows she only produces 14.46 million barrels per day.

SO...based on the link that you provided, does America produce as much daily oil as it consumes? Yes or no?

Also, your link included oil refining. America DOES refine oil that it imports...LOTS of it.
Not at present but it has enormous latent capacity, including many wells that are inactive only because oil prices are not yet high enough. The US currently produces three times as much oil as Iran does and could quickly produce much more if prices rise.

From your link:

Oh for God's sakes...what does it say on the chart right below the one you linked to? That America consumes almost 20 million barrels of oil per day.

Yet your link shows she only produces 14.46 million barrels per day.

SO...based on the link that you provided, does America produce as much daily oil as it consumes? Yes or no?

Also, your link included oil refining. America DOES refine oil that it imports...LOTS of it.
Not at present but it has enormous latent capacity, including many wells that are inactive only because oil prices are not yet high enough. The US currently produces three times as much oil as Iran does and could quickly produce much more if prices rise.

What latency? America has never (since 1983 anyway) produced more oil...even when oil was at a far higher price.

She is not cutting back production at all...she is ramping it up.

Check the link I included below for proof.

Also, your list is NOT just oil production....it includes other petroleum products as well.

Here is the list of OIL production - and ONLY oil production.

Weekly U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

What does it say for the week of May 4, 2018?

It says 10.703 million barrels of OIL PRODUCTION per day.

Yet...your own link says that America consumes 19.53 million barrels per day.

America has a massive shortfall of oil production to meet it's needs.

I will give you credit for at least admitting you were mistaken....sort of.

Last edited:

The US has to stockpile oil for other nations; not just for ourselves, so we can't use that stockpiled oil to bring down prices. For example, if a major world wide event happens, like a nuclear war in the Middle East, and world wide oil production and delivery comes to a halt, we have promised to supply Israel with, let's say 50 million barrels of oil (I don't know the exact number). A number of allied nations around the world have this deal with us.

Last edited:

The US has to stockpile oil for other nations; not just for ourselves, so we can't use that stockpiled oil to bring down prices. For example, if a major world wide event happens, like a nuclear war in the Middle East, and oil production and delivery comes to a halt, we have promised to supply Israel with, let's say 50 million barrels of oil (I don't know the exact number). Many allied nations around the world have this deal with us.

Fucking stupid Carter 'Middle East Peace Agreement'.

I like Carter...but that agreement was moronic.

If I am reading this chart correctly, America only has enough in her Strategic Petroleum Reserves to last her for 33 days.

Strategic Petroleum Reserve Inventory 2005

America consumes almost 20 million barrels per day.

The SPR is only 663 million barrels.

That works out to just 33 days.

Let Israel get their own oil.

Last edited:

Even most GOP are pro the Iran deal. Trump messed up big time.

Let me guess...

you didn't look at the links, right?

Did I listen to the video in the OP, nope I didn't need to. Trump messed up big time.

in other words, you're responding out of ignorance and partisanship.

Trump is nothing but a stooge for Israel.

Israel wanted the Iran deal dead...so Trump did what he was told and killed it.

No...Israel did not directly order Trump to kill the deal. They (and American neocons led by John Bolton) manipulated the moronic Trump into doing EXACTLY what Israel wanted.

Now Israel is free to attack Iran and drag America into it's own war with Iran.

Oh gee, yet another bigot thread.

How is it a bigoted thread? The Trump admin picked it's relationship with Israel here and prioritized it over the European signers of the agreement and over growing relationship with Iran who has done nothing to us that we didn't instigate. Trump prioritized it over American business interests, too. Trump even threatened German businesses in Iran.

Israel hates Iran. Taking Bibi at his word about it is a mistake. This decertification is a mistake. At any point over the life of the deal, we could have pulled out and done the same thing Trump just did but for good reasons. It wasn't the awful deal Trump and the right were calling. That's just their agenda to get rid of it. Trump the great deal breaker getting it done. 0 deals made, tho.

Forum List

Back