Reason vs. Morality

What's the difference? Your legacy and how its impacted other human beings is determined by the way you act, thus, you should act accordingly if you care about your legacy and a second reason would be that it's innate at this point to want to be a good person (it comes natural to most).

Aside from those reasons and barring those reasons, go ahead and be a bad ass and a lawful society will deal with you.

Would it make any difference if I gave you food because I wanted to be a decent human as opposed to giving you food so I could go to heaven ?

Yes.

One act is selfless, the other is selfish.

and who would be able to tell the difference ?

Right and wrong are what the writers of the scriptures decided them to be, also.

yet religious people adhere to the writers of the scripture and don't make up new morality for every situation.

Which doesn't mean much, except to say that they're consistent and good servants of the writers.

Consistency is exactly what religious people get condemned for tho----they're called sheep.

yet religious people adhere to the writers of the scripture and don't make up new morality for every situation.

Which doesn't mean much, except to say that they're consistent and good servants of the writers.

Consistency is exactly what religious people get condemned for tho----they're called sheep.

They are sheep. They are blindly following a book based on testimony from.....

the book.

It's silly and irrational, I'm not mad at it though.

the book.

They are following the testimony and experience of people for 2000 + years.

Which rational thoughts not appearing there are more sacred ?

the book.

They are following the testimony and experience of people for 2000 + years.

Which rational thoughts not appearing there are more sacred ?

They are following on faith that a god exists as described by these men who may or may not be liars, and such faith is not rational as rationality begins and ends with reason and evidence.

Behaving correctly because you fear consequences doled out by a supernatural entity in the afterlife is a morally bankrupt position.

I see.....the correct position is the Liberal one, "if it feels good, do it."

The result of believing that there is nothing greater than oneself is, for example, out of wedlock births.

Have you seen the data on the children of those events?

You're a moron.

Most liberals are religious. There are as many on the right who would have atheists leave as there are those on the left who would have the religious leave. Neither side has any monopoly on idiots.

"Most liberals are religious."

Horsefeathers.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/365044-liberal-attack-religion-again.html

Oh well, you are supporting your opinion by citing your opinion. Who can argue with that? No, come to think of it, I believe I will go with facts instead. Call me silly.

Read it, you idiot, and you'll see it is not my opinion....it is reality.

You can only refine the wisdom - we do not have another sentient being aside from ourselves to appeal to. Flawed reasoning is pointed differentiated with accurate reasoning through reasoning itself, which is circular, but true.

IE ----right and wrong is what we decide it to be unless we are religious in which case right and wrong has been spelled out in scripture and centuries of culture.

Right and wrong are what the writers of the scriptures decided them to be, also.

Wrong yet again.

Let me compliment your consistency.

The execution of our laws must take into account human frailty, and must acknowledge the limits of reason, and, therefore, resort to impartial statutes in order to be fair.

The Bible is the wisdom of the West. It is from the precepts of the Bible that the legal systems of the West have been developed- systems, worked out over millennia, for dealing with inequality, with injustice, with greed, reducible t that which Christians call the Golden Rule, and the Jews had propounded as “That which is hateful to you, don not do to your neighbor.”

It is these rules and laws which form a framework which allows the individual foreknowledge of that which is permitted and that which is forbidden.
David Mamet

what's the difference if you act correctly ?

What's the difference? Your legacy and how its impacted other human beings is determined by the way you act, thus, you should act accordingly if you care about your legacy and a second reason would be that it's innate at this point to want to be a good person (it comes natural to most).

Aside from those reasons and barring those reasons, go ahead and be a bad ass and a lawful society will deal with you.

Would it make any difference if I gave you food because I wanted to be a decent human as opposed to giving you food so I could go to heaven ?

Yes.

Forum List

Back