Zone1 Reggie Jackson's Experiences in the South, in the Minors

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

This is just a short clip, but it was stunning to me. I graduated HS in '67 (in Pittsburgh) and I thought all that BS was history by that time. In one way, it was not that long ago - and it's not like things changed quickly thereafter - but it was a couple generations ago.

Still, disgusting. Ironic that it comes to light (for White people) around Juneteenth. What good is the end of slavery if a hundred years later some American citizens still couldn't eat at a nice restaurant because of the color of their skin?

This is just a short clip, but it was stunning to me. I graduated HS in '67 (in Pittsburgh) and I thought all that BS was history by that time. In one way, it was not that long ago - and it's not like things changed quickly thereafter - but it was a couple generations ago.

Still, disgusting. Ironic that it comes to light (for White people) around Juneteenth. What good is the end of slavery if a hundred years later some American citizens still couldn't eat at a nice restaurant because of the color of their skin?
What good is the end of slavery if a hundred years later some American citizens still couldn't eat at a nice restaurant because of the color of their skin?

I would ask, what good did it do to end Jim Crow in the South if whites are still pummeled with white guilt 50 years later?

Being guilt ridden over things you never did is no way to go through life

Things didn't stop after slavery. It is what we have been telling you all along. But I guess it doesn't count unless you're black and famous. And the racism still continues today.

Today's racism is largely impotent...a guy in a pickup truck yelling, "Ni**er!" out the window as he drives past a Black guy. Who cares? Today, the Black culture does far more harm to Black people than any racist could even dream of.

Did you forget about the race riots of the 60s? Detroit?
I think both groups share responsibility in quelling racism and not continuing to bring it up and making it an issue.

1967 was still Jim Crow South

While the laws were being changed to end discrimination, businesses could still proclaim…..We don’t serve N…..s here

You missed the horrible Juneteenth threads on this board I take it.

Probably 90% BS stories. He’s simply repeating stories he heard from others long before his time I would bet. 1967? Come on, please. Yahoo eats it up.//

Probably 90% BS stories. He’s simply repeating stories he heard from others long before his time I would bet. 1967? Come on, please. Yahoo eats it up.//

That is only four years after the Birmingham Church bombing in 1963 and one year after Bull Connor used fire hoses on school children

Do you really think Birmingham changed that much in four years?

Last edited:
1967 was still Jim Crow South

While the laws were being changed to end discrimination, businesses could still proclaim…..We don’t serve N…..s here
I was stationed at NATTC in Millington, TN for a while back in 1969-1970. Sometimes we’d head down to Mississippi to go drinking and I remember seeing those signs.

The best part of Reggie’s story was how Charlie Finley and his teammates stood up for him.
Most owners would just tell black players to suck it up and find somewhere else to eat and sleep.
Finley refused to patronize businesses that refused service to his black players

What you're saying, is that back in '67 your brain told you that racism was history and "BS", as you put it.

Interesting.

Here's a couple of quotes that address the phenomenom you're exhibiting w/these beliefs...

If I believe that only bad people are racist, I will feel hurt, offended, and shamed when an unaware racist assumption of mine is pointed out. If I instead believe that having racist assumptions is inevitable (but possible to change), I will feel gratitude when an unaware racist assumption is pointed out; now I am aware of and can change that assumption.”
Robin DiAngelo, White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
Source: White Fragility Quotes by Robin DiAngelo

If, however, I understand racism as a system into which I was socialized, I can receive feedback on my problematic racial patterns as a helpful way to support my learning and growth. One of the greatest social fears for a white person is being told that something that we have said or done is racially problematic. Yet when someone lets us know that we have just done such a thing, rather than respond with gratitude and relief (after all, now that we are informed, we won’t do it again), we often respond with anger and denial.”
Robin DiAngelo, White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism

Reggie Jackson: "I walked into restaurants, and they would point at me and say, 'The n*** can't eat here.' I would go to a hotel, and they would say, 'The n*** can't stay here.' We went to [Kansas City Athletics owner] Charlie Finley's country club for a welcome home dinner, and they pointed me out with the N-word: 'He can't come in here.'

LOL. Talk about dumb embellishment.

The best part of Reggie’s story was how Charlie Finley and his teammates stood up for him.
Most owners would just tell black players to suck it up and find somewhere else to eat and sleep.
Finley refused to patronize businesses that refused service to his black players
Oh, please. Finley was a tight fisted owner who constantly battled over salaries. Especially Jackson.

Here's the really retarded story from Jackson:

We went to [Kansas City Athletics owner] Charlie Finley's country club for a welcome home dinner, and they pointed me out with the N-word: 'He can't come in here.' Finley marched the whole team out. Finally, they let me in there. He said, 'We're going to go to the diner and eat hamburgers. We'll go where we're wanted.'"

Did you figure it out? The players are at Finley's own country club, and Finley himself marched the team out because the guests told the owner that his team can't be in there.

Yean, that's a real legit story.

:laughing0301:

He [owner Charles Finley] said, 'We're going to go to the diner and eat hamburgers. We'll go where we're wanted.'"

More dumb. Finley had his team eat burgers because he was a cheap ass. Finley insisted on staying in a hotel where eyebrows were raised (at black players) because it was the cheapest hotel in the city.

Jackson continues:

Had it not been for Rollie Fingers, Johnny McNamara, Dave Duncan, Joe and Sharon Rudi, I slept on their couch three, four nights a week for about a month and a half.

But, but, but, I was always told that the players hated their black teammates. Especially in (gasp) Philly!

What you're saying, is that back in '67 your brain told you that racism was history and "BS", as you put it.

Interesting.

Here's a couple of quotes that address the phenomenom you're exhibiting w/these beliefs...

If I believe that only bad people are racist, I will feel hurt, offended, and shamed when an unaware racist assumption of mine is pointed out. If I instead believe that having racist assumptions is inevitable (but possible to change), I will feel gratitude when an unaware racist assumption is pointed out; now I am aware of and can change that assumption.”
Robin DiAngelo, White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism

If, however, I understand racism as a system into which I was socialized, I can receive feedback on my problematic racial patterns as a helpful way to support my learning and growth. One of the greatest social fears for a white person is being told that something that we have said or done is racially problematic. Yet when someone lets us know that we have just done such a thing, rather than respond with gratitude and relief (after all, now that we are informed, we won’t do it again), we often respond with anger and denial.”
Robin DiAngelo, White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
Why are you bolding your words, IM2?

Forum List

Back