Religion is not Biblical thing!

Sorry, but Jesus is not a God. He is not the Heavenly Father, nor does he rule heaven. He is the right hand man of God though. Like the security at the door of a club.

Faith is based on knowledge or fact.

John 17
John 1:18

No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.
John 1:18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

Without knowledge, you wouldn't know God. You would just have religion.

Heheh. Once you accept the concept of a giant, invisible sky fairie, all other lies are easy to swallow.

It's a shame the Bible disagrees with you:

If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1-26-27)

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is a religion. And an organized one at that.

If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1-26-27)

That's what it says but not what it means:

in Jam 1:26, 27 the writer purposely uses the word to set in contrast that which is unreal and deceptive, and the "pure religion" which consists in visiting "the fatherless and widows in their affliction," and in keeping oneself "unspotted from the world." He is "not herein affirming... these offices to be the sum total, nor yet the great essentials, of true religion, but declares them to be the body, the threskeia, of which godliness, or the love of God, is the informing soul" (Trench).
-Vine's Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words

A definition for threskeia would be here:

religious worship esp. external, that which consists of ceremonies religious discipline, religion

Threskeia - New Testament Greek Lexicon - New American Standard

You can tell by the amount of revenue it collects.

in Jam 1:26, 27 the writer purposely uses the word to set in contrast that which is unreal and deceptive, and the "pure religion" which consists in visiting "the fatherless and widows in their affliction," and in keeping oneself "unspotted from the world." He is "not herein affirming... these offices to be the sum total, nor yet the great essentials, of true religion, but declares them to be the body, the threskeia, of which godliness, or the love of God, is the informing soul" (Trench).

religious worship esp. external, that which consists of ceremonies religious discipline, religion

So James didn't mean what he said. He meant what this other person interpreting says he meant.

The Lord is a God of Order. He has always been one. He organizes His people to take care of one another and to use them to accomplish His work. The Atonement wasn't meant just to reconcile man with God, but to reconcile man with his fellow man.

He gives laws. He provided ordinances. He makes covenants. He always has and always will.

For some reason religion is offensive to some. There is no reason for it to be. It was ordained for a purpose.

So James didn't mean what he said. He meant what this other person interpreting says he meant.

The Lord is a God of Order. He has always been one. He organizes His people to take care of one another and to use them to accomplish His work. The Atonement wasn't meant just to reconcile man with God, but to reconcile man with his fellow man.

He gives laws. He provided ordinances. He makes covenants. He always has and always will.

For some reason religion is offensive to some. There is no reason for it to be. It was ordained for a purpose.

Because the translators do not want to make any mistakes, they translate words very literally so if there is irony, a play on words, etc., you are going to get a wooden interpretation.

There are two ways to interpret a text. What it says or what it means. I go for what it means a lot of times over what is said.

I'll give you an example:

New International Version
"If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true.

http://biblehub.com/john/5-31.htm

If you go by what is said, Jesus can't be true if He testifies by Himself but what it means is by the law of Moses, you need two or three witnesses to establish truth. That is why it is important to interpret a passage by what it means and if you don't know the meaning then any one can twist a passage.

I disagree, Avatar. I believe what the original poster was trying to say is that there is a difference between religion and faith. Religion is an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, rules, etc. used to worship God. Faith is a personal covenant or relationship with Christ, a trust and dependence on God, both in this life and beyond.

I disagree. I believe the OP was meant simply to elevate Christianity above all other faiths based on the false assumption that Christianity is based in knowledge and identifiable facts but other faiths are blind belief.

The OP has also defined faith as being based in knowledge. Sorry, but faith and knowledge are not, in fact, synonymous. Knowledge implies that the subject is fact. Faith carries no such requirement.

The OP has also defined faith as being based in knowledge. Sorry, but faith and knowledge are not, in fact, synonymous. Knowledge implies that the subject is fact. Faith carries no such requirement.
I do not see where the OP says anything about faith being based in knowledge.

Oh shit, my fault. That was Chuckt

You have an unchurched answer on faith which means it is Biblically illiterate but yet you want to be a judge.

What is Faith?, Part B
What is Faith?, Part B - Broadcasts - Truth For Life

Last edited:

You have an unchurched answer on faith which means it is Biblically illiterate but yet you want to be a judge.

What is Faith?, Part B

Yes, yes I do want to "be a judge". And Biblically illiterate doesn't apply.

The Bible's the authority on all things Christian.

The Dictionary is the authority on the definitions of English words.

I'm not Dictionary illiterate.

Faith and knowledge are not synonyms.

When you can prove to me that the Bible is the authority on the true nature of reality, I'll start letting scripture redefine the language for me.

Until then. . .

Done deal :) I be judgin

Last edited:
Also, just because Jesus claimed to be the son of God and then gave a testimony as to who God is doesn't mean that you know there is a God and that you know who he is.

First off, all you have to go on is a book and third hand testimony to accept the fact that Jesus even -said- any of this shit. For all you know it's all inaccurate.

SEcond, even if Jesus really -did- say all that, -you- still couldn't know whether or not it's the truth. Even if he really did perform the miracles as described in the bible, there's still no proof that what he said regarding God was the truth. Maybe he was a bored alien with some pretty scary genetic abilities and way too much free time just f'in with the minds of a sentient but inferior species. Maybe there really is a God or even multiple gods, and some supernatural being who doesn't like said deity(ies) took human form and started doing and saying crazy shit to throw everybody off the scent. Point is, there are countless potential explanations, any of which are just as plausible as the creator of a universe that spans some 13 billion light years in any direction just -happening- to take so much pride in this -one- floating rock, out of so many that it would require most of the length of this post for me to type out the number, that he sends his only kid -here- to save -us- from our own misbehavior, we who were designed by a being who is infallible.

Sorry, but no matter how strongly you feel that you're right on this one, you don't -know-. Your faith isn't based in knowledge.

What is Faith?, Part B

Yes, yes I do want to "be a judge". And Biblically illiterate doesn't apply.

The Bible's the authority on all things Christian.

The Dictionary is the authority on the definitions of English words.

I'm not Dictionary illiterate.

Faith and knowledge are not synonyms.

When you can prove to me that the Bible is the authority on the true nature of reality, I'll start letting scripture redefine the language for me.

Until then. . .

Done deal :) I be judgin

Its called being a hypocrite or actor. Size ten black shoes apply.

Forum List

Back