Religious Abuse

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
I'm starting this thread because I think it's a serious problem and it's not confined to the abuse of children. Many institutional religions have instances of abuse.

For now, I'm remembering the Magdalene laundries in Ireland and the many women who were enslaved and abused for being "fallen" women.

Locked away with no identities, no visits, no human rights, the women were treated as criminals without any trials and no judgments. They had to scrub prison floors, cook for the nuns, take care of aging prisoners and other tasks nobody wanted to do. They all lost their children to adoptive families chosen by the nuns.

From 1765 to the late 1990, about 30,000 women were incarcerated and deprived of normal lives for a youth mischief that their own church was not able to forgive. Supported by the State and the Church, the goal of theses institutions was to rehabilitate "fallen" women into society, but in reality, their return to freedom was seldom a fact.

In 2001, the Irish Government admitted that the Magdalene Laundries were places of abuse. In 2011, the United Nations Committee Against Torture urged Ireland to investigate the facts and truth of the government involvement.

In 2013, the panel found evidence of verbal abuse, and Ireland's Prime Minister Enda Kenny issued a full state apology to the victims, calling them the "nation's shame".
The True Scandal of the Magdalene Laundries

I'm starting this thread because I think it's a serious problem and it's not confined to the abuse of children. Many institutional religions have instances of abuse.

For now, I'm remembering the Magdalene laundries in Ireland and the many women who were enslaved and abused for being "fallen" women.

Locked away with no identities, no visits, no human rights, the women were treated as criminals without any trials and no judgments. They had to scrub prison floors, cook for the nuns, take care of aging prisoners and other tasks nobody wanted to do. They all lost their children to adoptive families chosen by the nuns.

From 1765 to the late 1990, about 30,000 women were incarcerated and deprived of normal lives for a youth mischief that their own church was not able to forgive. Supported by the State and the Church, the goal of theses institutions was to rehabilitate "fallen" women into society, but in reality, their return to freedom was seldom a fact.

In 2001, the Irish Government admitted that the Magdalene Laundries were places of abuse. In 2011, the United Nations Committee Against Torture urged Ireland to investigate the facts and truth of the government involvement.

In 2013, the panel found evidence of verbal abuse, and Ireland's Prime Minister Enda Kenny issued a full state apology to the victims, calling them the "nation's shame".
According the article, that abuse is over now. The last laundry closed in 1996. Apologies have been issued. Ireland is ashamed. Twenty years later, what now? Reparations?

According the article, that abuse is over now. The last laundry closed in 1996. Apologies have been issued. Ireland is ashamed. Twenty years later, what now? Reparations?

The women that survived that abuse are seriously damaged from it. I think they ought to sue the RCC.

Why not focus on present day religious abuses...like what is happening in the Middle East with a certain faction of religion

not much of a topic----seems like a deflection to me-------an HISTORIC REALITY-----sad but true
It's not a deflection. Religious abuse is a problem that needs to be addressed.

You have no manner of deflection label for abuse committed by Islamlam in the name of religion.

OK. More past history. This time there have been reparations in addition to apologies and a revamping of how the Catholic Church handles bad priests.

Maybe I'm missing your point in this thread but it seems to me that a small percentage of bad apples doesn't mean the whole basket is rotten, ya know?
The basket that is rotten is the system that protects abusers. Institutional change is needed.

Characteristics of An Unsafe Church

Inability to ask questions or raise issues- If an individual raises a problem they become the problem.
Lack of accountability - accountability suggested but not there in reality
Increasing expectation of commitment
Emphasis on external image- even if it is not reality
Manipulation, dominance and control
Social isolation of members from individuals outside of the church
Obedience to authority in all circumstances
Secrecy - over finance, decisions etc
Emphasis on finance
Misuse of scripture/pulpit
The belief that the minister always knows best
Fear of leaving
Personal slander and subsequent isolation on leaving
Loss of personal identity
Elitism - there is no other church like this.
Christian Survivors - Support for Survivors of Abuse

OK. More past history. This time there have been reparations in addition to apologies and a revamping of how the Catholic Church handles bad priests.

Maybe I'm missing your point in this thread but it seems to me that a small percentage of bad apples doesn't mean the whole basket is rotten, ya know?
The basket that is rotten is the system that protects abusers. Institutional change is needed.
It has been changed. You're preaching to the choir, decades late.

Let's see, flying planes into tall buildings, tossing gays off roof tops, attaching explosives to small children, beheading non believers, caging and burning people alive, etc etc....

Me thinks you're focused on the wrong religion

The women that survived that abuse are seriously damaged from it. I think they ought to sue the RCC.
----------------------------- let them sue Dharra !!

yes---they should----and they should win-----

It has been changed. You're preaching to the choir, decades late.

so true-----perhaps the matter HAS been settled with some compensation-----
anyone know?

Why no mention of the Catholic priest and centuries of sexual abuse, impregnating Nuns and burying the new born babies, the physical abuse of, and psychological damage to altar boys, and the free pass that they're given by not only the Catholic church, but also by our own government, and governments around the globe?

There are many cases of sexual abuse in many religions, including Baptist preachers. Sexual deviants are in all religions.

In a world this size there will always be abuses................regardless of what religion.........

The main abuses are crimes against humanity perpetrated by the Islamic Jihadist............

Are their abuses in the Christian World........of course but nothing compared to the other equation.

We try those who abuse here.......over there they praise them.

Forum List

Back