Remember Whining About Cops Taking A Crazy Vet's Guns?

However, it does vindicate removing weapons from people who DO have a history or who make threats against themselves or others. And the people who whine about such instances are mentally retarded.

If you seriously think this vindicates anything you're the retarded one. You got a guy that went nuts with no apparent previous history of problems. It was a law enforcement matter with no political bearing at all. And trying to politicize a tragedy is a very poor reflection on YOU.

The mentally retarded have been politicizing the shit out of the taking of weapons away from imbalanced whackjobs. Whining their asses off as if this was something new. It isn't. This is what cops and the medical community have been doing practically forever, and rightfully so.

It just goes to show just how retarded you all are. Only when Obama is President are you like, "DUuuuuhhhh, deyz cummin fer our gunz!"

This story has nothing to do with the gun debate and should be moved from the politics board to current events or maybe the rubber room, only imbalanced people like you try to connect the two.

However, it does vindicate removing weapons from people who DO have a history or who make threats against themselves or others. And the people who whine about such instances are mentally retarded.

If you seriously think this vindicates anything you're the retarded one. You got a guy that went nuts with no apparent previous history of problems. It was a law enforcement matter with no political bearing at all. And trying to politicize a tragedy is a very poor reflection on YOU.

Got anything that says he was mentally stable?

Got anything that proves you are?

It's a given that a person who is so mentally traumatized to the point that he/she is collecting disability ....is not freaking mentally stable.

Only a court of law should have the ability to take someone's rights, period, end of story. Ever heard of due process?

Ever hear of back ground checks? That way crazies cant get them in the first place. Period, end of story.

Ever hear of common sense?

The unfortunate thing is that many times we don't find out they are in the crazy pool until after they have purchased and used the guns on their target of choice.

It's a given that a person who is so mentally traumatized to the point that he/she is collecting disability ....is not freaking mentally stable.

Exactly. The military doesn't give you disability payments unless you've already been fully screened medically, and they determine that you have enough of a problem that it qualifies for a payment.

Trust me.................medical boards ain't no joke, and they are very thorough.

I don't think the gigantic bureaucracy known as the V.A. is required to "notify authorities" about the mental state of Veterans who are so mentally impaired that the government authorizes disability compensation. The best we can do to protect society is to prevent them from "legally" purchasing weapons.

Do you live under a rock. The VA is doing exactly that without any due process, of course they say there is an administrative appeals process but that does not protect the veterans rights like a court would prior to taking away their ability to have a gun.

You clearly have no clue what the words "due process" even mean. If the medical authorities and the police are following THE LAW, then due process is being observed. If THE LAW directs them to confiscate the weapons of a person who they consider an imminent threat to themselves or others, then due process has been observed.

A doctor can start the process, only a court, under our Constitution, can complete it. Even for competency you have a right to face your accusers, have access to the evidence used against you, cross examine witnesses and present defense.

However...............background checks can help us find out who the crazy people are. If this person had PTSD, and it was diagnosed by the military, his gun rights should have been suspended then.

IF !!!!! LMAO Care to speculate any more? Like I said, there was nothing in the story to indicate he had ANY previous problems.

Who are the mentally retarded people that allowed the Fort Hood shooter to continue with his job and keep his guns after he made radical statements about beheading infidels a year earlier? Political correctness trumps common sense every time.

Crazy? That "Crazy" vet defended your freedom! You childish liberal prick. Show some freaking respect.

I'm a retired vet, retard.

First of all, let me thank you for your service, g5. No matter how unsightly your opinions might be-- you fought for the right to make them. But at any rate

My father is a Gulf War vet. Multiple generations of my family have served in any of the wars dating back to WWII up to the War on Terror. So your point would be, exactly? But where do you get off calling one of your own crazy? What should it matter if you are? So much for camaraderie. Did your superiors ever brand the warrior ethos into that head of yours?

Last edited:
Do you live under a rock. The VA is doing exactly that without any due process, of course they say there is an administrative appeals process but that does not protect the veterans rights like a court would prior to taking away their ability to have a gun.

You clearly have no clue what the words "due process" even mean. If the medical authorities and the police are following THE LAW, then due process is being observed. If THE LAW directs them to confiscate the weapons of a person who they consider an imminent threat to themselves or others, then due process has been observed.

A doctor can start the process, only a court, under our Constitution, can complete it. Even for competency you have a right to face your accusers, have access to the evidence used against you, cross examine witnesses and present defense.

Don't you understand that you agree that you are mentally incompetent when you collect PTSS disability?

And I have already pointed out to you in the past, the vets don't lose any of the bolded.

A doctor alters the VA that a vet is mentally unstable
The VA alerts the vet of the doctors findings
The vet has 30 days to either agree with the findings or challenge
If the vet challenges he presents his evidence to an arbitrator and the VA presents theirs
If arbitrator finds against the vet, he can appeal and go before a judge to have the case heard.

And I have already pointed out to you in the past, the vets don't lose any of the bolded.

If the vet challenges he presents his evidence to an arbitrator and the VA presents theirs
If arbitrator finds against the vet, he can appeal and go before a judge to have the case heard.

By agreeing to collect PTSS disability benefits the Vet agrees that he/she is mentally disabled. There is no appeal because the Vet agrees to the disability.

By agreeing to collect PTSS disability benefits the Vet agrees that he/she is mentally disabled. There is no appeal because the Vet agrees to the disability.

Very true.

I was referring only to vets who may not agree.

Exactly. The military doesn't give you disability payments unless you've already been fully screened medically, and they determine that you have enough of a problem that it qualifies for a payment.

Trust me.................medical boards ain't no joke, and they are very thorough.

You've never been through the VA claims system have you. First a military medical board only determines if a person will be medically retired, medically discharged or retained. The retirement pay for a person medically retired if determined by the military. The VA is the one that determines the percentage of disability and if it is payable as service connected. There are many different degrees of disability, you might want to educate yourself a bit.

Don't you understand that you agree that you are mentally incompetent when you collect PTSS disability?

Don't you understand that even the mentally incompetent deserve their due process rights? What if they are erroneously deemed to be incompetent? Or does the 2nd or 14th Amendment suddenly disappear because a board thinks you have a few screws loose? If you take the disability, that's fine, but when you have guns you have proven in service that you know how to take care of them and ensure the safety of all those around you. It is only those extreme cases where gun confiscation is warranted. Even so... this is a slippery slope.

How does that work exactly?

Last edited:
Crazy? That "Crazy" vet defended your freedom! You childish liberal prick. Show some freaking respect.

Then where do you get off calling one of your own crazy? What should it matter if you are? So much for camaraderie.

Why can we call one of our own crazy? Because we've actually served in the military and have seen a crazy idiot or two if we've served long enough.

I've seen guys do stupid shit, and I've seen some of them do downright insane things, and yeah.....................I've even said they were batshit crazy if they were. One such example are the Marines who were stationed at Norfolk in the early 80's who ended up shooting each other because they were doing quick draw gunfighting with each other WITH LOADED FUCKING WEAPONS WHILE THEY WERE BORED EARLY IN THE MORNING ON GATE GUARD DUTY.

Calling one of your own crazy isn't a bad thing. It's actually a recognition of the fact that the Armed Forces are a small cross section of the larger U.S., and even though we try to catch all of them with the various screenings we do, some of them do manage to slip through.

And....................part of being a good shipmate is recognizing when someone is losing it and referring them to someone before they hurt themselves or others. I've seen guys try to commit suicide after a Dear John letter, and even seen a guy go nuts from being restricted to the ship, and he decided that doing a swan dive off of the helo tower was a good thing, because he was going to swim to shore to get a beer.

You've never been through the VA claims system have you. First a military medical board only determines if a person will be medically retired, medically discharged or retained. The retirement pay for a person medically retired if determined by the military. The VA is the one that determines the percentage of disability and if it is payable as service connected. There are many different degrees of disability, you might want to educate yourself a bit.

Never went through the VA side of it, just prepared the paperwork for discharges or retirements after the medical board had already looked at them, and I can tell you, just being able to qualify for medical retirement is a pretty thorough process, because Uncle Sam doesn't like to pay money if they don't have to.

Then where do you get off calling one of your own crazy? What should it matter if you are? So much for camaraderie.

Why can we call one of our own crazy? Because we've actually served in the military and have seen a crazy idiot or two if we've served long enough.

I've seen guys do stupid shit, and I've seen some of them do downright insane things, and yeah.....................I've even said they were batshit crazy if they were. One such example are the Marines who were stationed at Norfolk in the early 80's who ended up shooting each other because they were doing quick draw gunfighting with each other WITH LOADED FUCKING WEAPONS WHILE THEY WERE BORED EARLY IN THE MORNING ON GATE GUARD DUTY.

Calling one of your own crazy isn't a bad thing. It's actually a recognition of the fact that the Armed Forces are a small cross section of the larger U.S., and even though we try to catch all of them with the various screenings we do, some of them do manage to slip through.

And....................part of being a good shipmate is recognizing when someone is losing it and referring them to someone before they hurt themselves or others. I've seen guys try to commit suicide after a Dear John letter, and even seen a guy go nuts from being restricted to the ship, and he decided that doing a swan dive off of the helo tower was a good thing, because he was going to swim to shore to get a beer.

A kick ass bennie for a biker/sailor Vet would be that Government check every month. Check in your self respect for a couple of government bucks and nobody will be the wiser until you try to buy a gun.

So we’re all in agreement: authorities taking possession of a firearm from a person suspected of being mentally ill does not constitute ‘confiscation.’ The owner of the firearm has the right to due process, where he’s allowed to challenge the merits of the pending taking.

A kick ass bennie for a biker/sailor Vet would be that Government check every month. Check in your self respect for a couple of government bucks and nobody will be the wiser until you try to buy a gun.

You're right..................one of the kick ass bennies is that government check every month. Another one is being able to go on base and buy things tax free.

But........................that's because I served over 20 years and earned a full retirement.

Oh...............btw.....................I am fully eligible to own a weapon.

Bullshit, you're another one that has never delt with the VA. Educate yourself on the process before you make more of an ass of yourself.

Forum List

Back