Report: no widespread fraud in SC elections

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Yet another "voter fraud" story by the GOP turns up nothing. Surprised?

COLUMBIA, S.C. No one intentionally cast a ballot in South Carolina using the names of dead people in recent elections, despite allegations to the contrary, according to a State Law Enforcement Division report obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

Attorney General Alan Wilson asked the agency to investigate last year after the Department of Motor Vehicles determined in early 2012 that more than 900 people listed as deceased also had voted in recent years.

Wilson referred the information to state police, saying that the number of people cited in the analysis "is an alarming number and clearly necessitates an investigation into criminal activity."

State Election Commission director Marci Andino had her staff take a look at questionable votes from the November 2010 general election, or about 200 of the more than 900 votes total - information that was also ultimately analyzed by the law enforcement division. Nearly half of the issues could be attributed to clerical errors, while several dozen resulted from DMV officials running Social Security numbers of voters against dead people but not seeing if the names matched.

Several other issues arose from ballots cast by men with the same names as their deceased fathers.

Read more here: Report: no widespread fraud in SC elections | CharlotteObserver.com

Create a boogey man then make a law against Boogey men

After DMV Director Kevin Shwedo testified before state lawmakers about his agency's findings, Republican lawmakers and other elected officials immediately said the analysis and possible voter fraud showed why the new law was necessary.

Rep. Bakari Sellers, D-Denmark, who sits on the panel before which Shwedo appeared, questioned the expense of the police investigation, as well as the origin of the numbers to which Shwedo testified.

"What they used were fictitious numbers to promote a regressive piece of legislation," he said. "They needed something to grasp ahold of to justify taking steps backward in our voting-rights laws. ... It's apparent that we were lied to, and that's troubling."

Read more here: Report: no widespread fraud in SC elections | CharlotteObserver.com

Republicans crying wolf...

For a while, you couldn’t turn on Fox News without seeing S.C. GOP Attorney General Alan Wilson saying things like, “We know for a fact that there are deceased people whose identities are being used in elections in South Carolina.”

Stoking the fire was a list of some 950 names that Republican Gov. Nikki Haley’s DMV director, Kevin Shwedo, said were those of dead people that appeared to have voted in recent elections.

“Well over 900 individuals appear to have voted after they died,” Shwedo said at one House hearing on the matter.
- See more at: Whatever Happened to Those ?Zombie Voters?? - Free-Times.com

“It hurt the public confidence in South Carolina elections,” he says. He's glad SLED's report confirmed what the elections agency always believed: there was no fraud, merely clerical errors and genuine mistakes.
- See more at: Columbia SC Blogs - News, Restaurants, Arts, Sports, Movies, Music

Wow, what another waste of time and resources on another Repub ginned up story

Who writes this stuff? "State election commissioner Marci Andino had her staff take a look at questionable votes from the 2010 election". "Take a look"? Does that sound like an investigation?

Who writes this stuff? "State election commissioner Marci Andino had her staff take a look at questionable votes from the 2010 election". "Take a look"? Does that sound like an investigation?

No it doesn't when you read a piece of it. Read the other part or use ctrl + F ans search the word "investigation" if you too lazy

It's super easy to ignore this, wont want that bubble to get any info in it now

Doesn't matter. Voter ID nuts will still state South Carolina's "fraud" as fact. They have never let truth jor logic get in the way before, so why start now.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. Voter ID nuts will still state South Carolina's "fraud" as fact. They have never let truth jor logic get in the way before, so why start now.

I dunno, I just like holding the mirror up so they can see what they really are

Yet another "voter fraud" story by the GOP turns up nothing. Surprised?

COLUMBIA, S.C. No one intentionally cast a ballot in South Carolina using the names of dead people in recent elections, despite allegations to the contrary, according to a State Law Enforcement Division report obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

Attorney General Alan Wilson asked the agency to investigate last year after the Department of Motor Vehicles determined in early 2012 that more than 900 people listed as deceased also had voted in recent years.

Wilson referred the information to state police, saying that the number of people cited in the analysis "is an alarming number and clearly necessitates an investigation into criminal activity."

State Election Commission director Marci Andino had her staff take a look at questionable votes from the November 2010 general election, or about 200 of the more than 900 votes total - information that was also ultimately analyzed by the law enforcement division. Nearly half of the issues could be attributed to clerical errors, while several dozen resulted from DMV officials running Social Security numbers of voters against dead people but not seeing if the names matched.

Several other issues arose from ballots cast by men with the same names as their deceased fathers.

Create a boogey man then make a law against Boogey men

After DMV Director Kevin Shwedo testified before state lawmakers about his agency's findings, Republican lawmakers and other elected officials immediately said the analysis and possible voter fraud showed why the new law was necessary.

Rep. Bakari Sellers, D-Denmark, who sits on the panel before which Shwedo appeared, questioned the expense of the police investigation, as well as the origin of the numbers to which Shwedo testified.

"What they used were fictitious numbers to promote a regressive piece of legislation," he said. "They needed something to grasp ahold of to justify taking steps backward in our voting-rights laws. ... It's apparent that we were lied to, and that's troubling."

Republicans crying wolf...

It's good to see that the SC 2010 elections were fine and dandy. The issue I have is this part of the story:

Of the 207 cases Andino's agency examined, only a handful remained unexplained, according to the commission and the Law Enforcement Division.

So, and correct me if I'm wrong, there were 900 questionable ballots out of all that were cast in 2010 and of those 900, 207 were eamined by Marci Andino. Am I right on that?

Okay, here is my issue. When you're talking about governor, Governor Haley won by 60,000 votes so no amount of fraud would have changed that outcome. Likely when you're talking about US Senate or US House, no amount of fraud will change those election outcomes either...

But lets look at the mayoral election in Columbia, SC:

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - Steve Benjamin has been elected as the next Mayor of Columbia, becoming the city's first new leader in 20 years.

Benjamin defeated his rival in the race, Kirkman Finlay III, in Tuesday's runoff. He received just over 55 percent of the vote on unofficial totals. Benjamin had 10,784 votes to 8,558 for Finlay.

A difference of 2,200 votes out of only 19,000 cast. I would imagine that elections for police chief, city council, county offices, and the like draw even smaller crowds making every vote count even more.

Most of the laws that affect your daily life are not written in Washington but in the chambers of these city and county officials.

If you can have 900 "questionable" ballots when there is no organized attempt to swing the outcome of an election, an organized attempt can be much more effective, right? So why leave yourself open to that possibility? Just because it hasn't happened (that we know of) yet doesn't mean it is not going to happen.

Erase almost all doubt and switch the nation to a free-AT NO COST TO THE VOTER-photo ID system that is required when a ballot is cast. We already require people to register to vote so why not make the process more perfect by placing the voter's photo on the document and ensuring the most basic tennant of our Republic:

One person; one vote

Not trying to be a doubting thomas here but there is fraud that is on purpose and there is fraud committed by accident. My polling place chaned a few times while I lived in Texas because I was re-districted into another district. I wasn't commiting fraud but I was in a booth where I didn't belong, casting a ballot. If you were to examine that election, my ballot should have been thrown out.

But let's say that the line I crossed over wasn't a redistricting line but one of city limits. We lived in Houston but two or three blocks away was another city. City ordinances would be on the ballot often; just as they are in Phoenix now. If you live in Glendale or Tucson or Paradise Valley or Tempe, the Phoenix ordinances don't affect you. If you're going to the wrong polling place, you could be voting on ordinances that you should be disallowed from; the folks in Tempe shouldn't be voting to increase the Phoenix city sales tax for example.

I would wager that several people show up at the polling place ignorant of whether it is the "official" polling location or not and are given a ballot that is improper. Since Brewer and McCain and/or Flake are on the ballot, they cast the ballot but down ballot, there are judges, referendums, propositions, etc...

Should people in Ohio be able to vote in Pennsylvania? I don't think so. I would like to have as much assurance as possible that it isn't happening.

Not to be a doubting Thomas - Then does the Doubting Thomas dance

I mean if fact and investigations are swept aside for conjecture and hypotheticals then I'm taking the crystal ball I have and riding my Unicorn out of here

A difference of 2,200 votes out of only 19,000 cast. I would imagine that elections for police chief, city council, county offices, and the like draw even smaller crowds making every vote count even more.

Most of the laws that affect your daily life are not written in Washington but in the chambers of these city and county officials.

If you can have 900 "questionable" ballots when there is no organized attempt to swing the outcome of an election, an organized attempt can be much more effective, right? So why leave yourself open to that possibility? Just because it hasn't happened (that we know of) yet doesn't mean it is not going to happen.

Erase almost all doubt and switch the nation to a free-AT NO COST TO THE VOTER-photo ID system that is required when a ballot is cast. We already require people to register to vote so why not make the process more perfect by placing the voter's photo on the document and ensuring the most basic tennant of our Republic:

One person; one vote

No one has ever shown fraud in a local election being on the level of 2200 fraudulent votes by a method that would be prevented by Voter ID. Not even close.

We have managed to hold elections for over two centuries without Voter ID. I would venture that most "fraudulent votes" these days are operator error in the use of electronic voting machines. Voting booths manned by volunteer septuagenarians who can't even program their DVD players who receive five minutes of training on how to manage voting machines. That's who is handling our voting process. Senior citizens a little slow on the uptake.

Last edited:
Not to be a doubting Thomas - Then does the Doubting Thomas dance

I mean if fact and investigations are swept aside for conjecture and hypotheticals then I'm taking the crystal ball I have and riding my Unicorn out of here

What is being assumed is that since fraud hasnt delivered an incorrect verdict in the past that it wont happen in the future, that since only 'important' elections are rendered immune by their scale that we should just accept fraud since it doesnt change whom appears on Face the Nation

The problem with hypotheticals is that they sometimes come true. A democratic county chairwoman approved a butterfly ballot that was solely responsible for George W Bush winning. No Bush = no Iraq war and what 5,000 not-dead soldiers and hundred thousand not dead Iraqis. These 'unimportant' offices make important decisions. Ride your unicorn over to Gore's house and ask him.

Last edited:
No "widespread" fraud = there is fraud...it just isn't "widespread"...which of course, could mean anything.

More mumbo-jumbo propaganda from the left.

One person; one vote

No one has ever shown fraud in a local election being on the level of 2200 fraudulent votes by a method that would be prevented by Voter ID. Not even close.

We have managed to hold elections for over two centuries without Voter ID. I would venture that most "fraudulent votes" these days are operator error in the use of electronic voting machines. Voting booths manned by volunteer septuagenarians who can't even program their DVD players who receive five minutes of training on how to manage voting machines. That's who is handling our voting process. Senior citizens a little slow on the uptake.

Again, the past is not a promise of future behavior.

I would make the same wager by the way...that it is erroneous on one or the other parties...so why accept it when generations old technology exists to correct it?

One person; one vote

Again, the past is not a promise of future behavior.

I would make the same wager by the way...that it is erroneous on one or the other parties...so why accept it when generations old technology exists to correct it?

I've been looking at "election fraud" since way back in Bush's day when the Left was claiming there were armies of conspirators rigging voting machines. Now it is the Right claiming there are armies of conspirators rigging voting machines. :lol:

I found a lot of cases of operator error. And if you keep watching after all the screaming and noise about each claim of "fraud" dies down, you will, too. Most people stop paying attention, though. They move on, with their belief system reinforced by false information spoon fed to them by partisan hacks.

The people who man these voting booths are given shoddy training, and the mistakes have been bipartisan. For every "fraud" you hear about where more votes were cast than there were registered voters and a Republican benefited, you can find one where a Democrat benefited from the same fuckup. And it comes back to the operators not knowing what they are doing. There is no malicious intent. It's just plain stupidity and lack of training. The voting machines may be tamper proof, but they are not idiot-proof.

But the partisan hacks never tell you this. You only hear the histrionics, never the follow-up that shows there was no actual fraud. Yet the rubes continue to claim the "fraud" as fact.

There is not one case of voter fraud that anyone can present which ONLY Voter ID is able to prevent or catch. We have an existing system, which if properly managed, is able to stop or prevent almost all fraud.

It astonishes me that people who claim to love the Constitution and our rights, and who claim to hate big government, fail to see the very bureaucratic government which is making these mistakes is the same one they wish to add yet more layers to! They want MORE obstacles and government intervention and bureaucracy placed between themselves and their rights instead of fixing the existing system which can solve all their fears and worries.

This is one of many reasons I refer to such people as "faux right wingers".

Last edited:
Too little too late, they never said that fraud didn't exist, it just wasn't as widespread as thought. And the big bold letters used in the op ignore the fact that the federal courts upheld the SC voter ID law, seems they didn't agree that it was a step backwards in voting rights. Just another fantasy fabrication from the left.

Too little too late, they never said that fraud didn't exist, it just wasn't as widespread as thought. And the big bold letters used in the op ignore the fact that the federal courts upheld the SC voter ID law, seems they didn't agree that it was a step backwards in voting rights. Just another fantasy fabrication from the left.

Judges only rule on constitutionality, not the stupidity of a law. If they did, Voter ID would be unanimously struck down. Several judges on the state level have stated Voter ID is completely unnecessary while upholding such laws at the same time. You are free to be a stupid idiot in this country. That's not unconstitutional.

Other Voter ID laws have been struck down or delayed because they did present unconstitutional obstacles.

The faux right wing seems extremely intent on forcing everyone to carry identity papers and to produce them on demand.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back