Reposted : I disapprove of the manner which Anwar al-Awlaki was killed.

No this is not a war..there is no declaration of war against Yemen. The rules on dealing with enemy combatants are clear...you can't kill them just because...

SANAA, Yemen (AP) – A government warplane mistakenly bombed an army position in southern Yemen, killing at least 30 soldiers and wounding many more, military and medical officials said Sunday.

The officials said the bombing, which took place on Saturday evening in the southern Abyan province, targeted an abandoned school used as shelter by soldiers of the army's 119th Brigade. The school is located just east of Abyan's provincial capital Zinjibar, where militants linked to al-Qaeda have been in control since May.

Heavy fighting has been raging in the area for days as part of the army's monthslong campaign to seize back Zinjibar from the militants.

STORY: Analysts: No clear successors to an-Awlaki

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information, said there were unconfirmed reports that militants arrived at the school soon after the airstrike and killed an unspecified number of wounded troops.

The school is in the Bagdar area, along the frontline between Yemeni forces and militants. On Saturday, fighting in Zinjibar killed at least 28 soldiers and militants.

The 119th Brigade has rebelled against the regime of President Ali Abdullah Saleh to join the protest movement demanding his ouster. It is thought to have received significant support from the U.S. military to enable it to fight the militants in the south more efficiently.

The airstrike is likely to hurt the morale of Yemeni soldiers as they try to battle their way into Zinjibar and other areas in Abyan under the militants' control.

Yemeni jet mistakenly bombs army post, kills 30

But U.S. Rep. Peter King, R-New York, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said the lethal strike was lawful.

"It was entirely legal. If a citizen takes up arms against his own country, he becomes an enemy of the country. The president was acting entirely within his rights and I fully support the president," King said.

Al-Awlaki was believed by U.S. authorities to have inspired acts of terrorism against the United States, including a fatal shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, and the December 25 bombing attempt to bring down an airliner flying to Detroit.

U.S. drone killing of American al-Awlaki prompts legal, moral debate - CNN

no it isn't legal either. If it is legal then it is just as legal to order you or I killed and our constitution is worthless.

An airstrike carried out by the CIA and U.S. Joint Special Operations Command that killed radical Islamist cleric Anwar al-Awlaki today in Yemen was illegal, according to University of Notre Dame international law expert Mary Ellen O’Connell, one of the world’s leading experts on targeted killing.

“The United States is not involved in any armed conflict in Yemen, so to use military force to carry out these killings violates international law,” O’Connell says. “It is only during the intense fighting of an armed conflict that international law permits the taking of human life on a basis other than the immediate need to save life. In armed conflict, a privileged belligerent may use lethal force on the basis of ‘reasonable necessity.’ Aside from armed conflict, the relevant standard is ‘absolute necessity.’

ND Expert: Al-Awlaki killing was illegal // News // Notre Dame News // University of Notre Dame

http://www.ktvu.com/news/29353666/detail.html

Last edited:
What does a Yemen air strike by Yemen Air Force have to do with this issue? After all that is their country and we aren't at war with them.

Just pointing out that there are hostilities in Yemen. It is not in a state of Peace. We are involved there.

no it isn't legal either. If it is legal then it is just as legal to order you or I killed and our constitution is worthless.

An airstrike carried out by the CIA and U.S. Joint Special Operations Command that killed radical Islamist cleric Anwar al-Awlaki today in Yemen was illegal, according to University of Notre Dame international law expert Mary Ellen O’Connell, one of the world’s leading experts on targeted killing.

“The United States is not involved in any armed conflict in Yemen, so to use military force to carry out these killings violates international law,” O’Connell says. “It is only during the intense fighting of an armed conflict that international law permits the taking of human life on a basis other than the immediate need to save life. In armed conflict, a privileged belligerent may use lethal force on the basis of ‘reasonable necessity.’ Aside from armed conflict, the relevant standard is ‘absolute necessity.’

ND Expert: Al-Awlaki killing was illegal // News // Notre Dame News // University of Notre Dame

Killing Of US-Born Al-Awlaki Prompts Legal Debate - News Story - KTVU San Francisco
have you taken up arms against the government? yes or no?

No. Not inside our borders, where one would be arrested instead.

So when are you moving back? ;)

What does a Yemen air strike by Yemen Air Force have to do with this issue? After all that is their country and we aren't at war with them.

Just pointing out that there are hostilities in Yemen. It is not in a state of Peace. We are involved there.

She won't recognize the cognitive dissonance that should arise from pointing this out.

If you take up arms and declare yourself an enemy ofthe US then it would be legal. That is what alA did. Put yourself in a belligerant relationship with the US and you too will be targeted.
You are merely repeating yourself. No one is seriously suggesting it was illegal.

Killing Of US-Born Al-Awlaki Prompts Legal Debate - News Story - KTVU San Francisco
have you taken up arms against the government? yes or no?

no nor would I..my son fought on a battlefield in Afghanistan against the Taliban and other terrorists that was a real battlefield...and neither did Awlaki he was a propagandist...and was in a car in Yemen, not in a battlefield..in fact he flew to the US and we released him from custody because he was not indicted or charged with any crime.

friendly fire and a civil war is none of our business Intense...Yemen is not the US..we need to mind our own business..if they wanted him then they should have went after him.

friendly fire and a civil war is none of our business Intense...Yemen is not the US..we need to mind our own business..if they wanted him then they should have went after him.

same could be said of bin Laden.

Since when do we mind our own business? :eusa_whistle: What flag would Honduras be flying now if we did not take interest?

Last edited:
No this is not a war..there is no declaration of war against Yemen. The rules on dealing with enemy combatants are clear...you can't kill them just because...

The war is with Al Qaeda. The fact that he was in Yemen is neither here nor there. Since the West has been successful in restraining al-Qaeda’s activities in Afghanistan and north-west Pakistan. Bin Laden’s network, though not beaten, has become scattered. Many of al-Qaeda’s foreign fighters relocated to Somalia or to Yemen – and it was in Yemen that Awlaki based his terrorist empire. So tell me again why Yemen was out of bounds. The US and other Western governments have always stated their intent to hunt down al Qaeda wherever it may be.

I don't care how they killed that terrorist bastard, I'm just glad that he is dead. I would have been fine with shooting him myself.

Forum List

Back