Republican Senator wants a 7 day work week

Grothman has argued in the past that government employees should have to work on MLK Day. He has taken a significant amount of heat from progressives for sponsoring other bills as well, including one repealing the state's Equal Pay Enforcement Act and another that would have considered single parenthood "a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect."
That capitalist pig wants to push the labor movement back 75 years. See what you get from the koch group political machine.
I'll
bet the Computer you are using was built by 'Capitalist Pigs'...stop using it.

I will bet it was built by people working at slave labor wages.

"...That was then this is now..."
The goal is to prevent 'Now' from turning back into 'Then' again.

"...Telling people they can't work when or as much as they want is a violation of their rights..."
True.

Then again, coercing people to work 7 days a week when they need rest or want to spend time with their families is a violation of their rights, as well.

At least until the Wisconsin legislature repeal their right to have off 1 day in 7.

If they don't like the work environment of their job they can quit and let those who want to work work.

That capitalist pig wants to push the labor movement back 75 years. See what you get from the koch group political machine.
I'll

Actually it was probably built by some slave labor in a foreign country.That's how capitalists roll. Can't be paying American workers a livable wage,they outsource it to foreign countries with very little to no workers rights.

It is a shame you were forced to buy that computer.

"...If they don't like the work environment of their job they can quit and let those who want to work work."
And if the job they've got is the only one in town, or all they can get, or similar circumstances that restrict their job-movement in a PRACTICAL sense, and now they might be forced into break-less work-weeks? Not everyone enjoys the same PRACTICAL mobility in the workforce, and I find myself wondering why that's so oftentimes glossed-over in such discussions.

Last edited:
I'll

Actually it was probably built by some slave labor in a foreign country.That's how capitalists roll. Can't be paying American workers a livable wage,they outsource it to foreign countries with very little to no workers rights.

It is a shame you were forced to buy that computer.

My computer was passed down to me from my mother when she bought a new one. :) try again.

If the people don't like it they won't vote for it.

There is nothing wrong with work. Though I would not take a job I did not have at least the sabbath off.

Really? What should those serving in the military be paid for missing their child's big game, their first step, their first word, or their birth?

The military doesn't get time and a half, they're paid by salary (which isn't much, even an E-6 only makes around 37,000/year), but we don't bitch about missing events like that.

Quick question.............................how much would you feel you were owed if you missed an event like that, and, more importantly, would you feel that people in the military should be paid what you thought you were owed if they missed that same event?

A lot of sevicemen and women that are now serving and have served in Iraq or Afghanistan or Vietnam or Korea, etc. missed a lot of their kids birthdays and 'big' games.

Being on call 24/7 is true, but on most peace time duty stations the weekends are time off for most of the military. I am not arguing with you, merely pointing out that you volunteered and decided it was OK for 20 years.

As an aside, did you ever take "basket leave" in the Navy?

I remember when we had to work 72 hours straight for an ORI (Operational Readiness Inspection). The object was to put all of the operational aircraft in the wing in the air on a simulated mission. We failed to do so and worked long hours 7 days a week for the next three months. We did NOT fail the next ORI!

I did 4 years active duty 2 years National Guard and 2 years ready reserve so I do know where you are coming from.
I signed up for 3 and got out in 2 - honorably.

But I respectfully suggest that the conversation be moved away from the < 1/2 of 1% of the population and back to the 99.5% of the population that such labor-laws are focused upon.

OK, but the workers in Wisconsin don't comprise 99.5% of the population. I venture to say that very few other states have a law NOT allowing someone to work 7 days in a row.

"...If they don't like the work environment of their job they can quit and let those who want to work work."
And if the job they've got is the only one in town, or all they can get, or similar circumstances that restrict their job-movement in a PRACTICAL sense, and now they might be forced into break-less work-weeks? Not everyone enjoys the same PRACTICAL mobility in the workforce, and I find myself wondering why that's so oftentimes glossed-over in such discussions.

We live in a mobile society these days.

Gone are the one company towns so I don't think that any job is the only job in town anymore.

And why do you need to use oversize fonts anyway are you compensating?

We live in a mobile society these days.

Gone are the one company towns so I don't think that any job is the only job in town anymore...
I've already served-up my rationale for allowing the folks in that State to keep such a law in-place if they wish, and can't do any more without repeating myself. The argument will have to stand or fall upon its own merits, amongst the audience at-large.

"...And why do you need to use oversize fonts anyway are you compensating?"
Yes. I'm compensating for a tiny little brain. Typing in a larger font makes me feel more important and secure and loved.

"...OK, but the workers in Wisconsin don't comprise 99.5% of the population. I venture to say that very few other states have a law NOT allowing someone to work 7 days in a row."
If the national percentage (military-vs-civilian) is 99.5%-vs-.5%, then it stands to reason that the sampling universe of the State of Wisconsin holds similar dimensions, yes?

Frankly, I saw no connection between the military and its 24 x 7 x 365 commitment, and civilian labor law, sufficiently strong so as to warrant such a comparison; I thought it a fairly bad context-fit, but played along, anyway.

I don't know about you, but I was merely defending this State Law (1-day-of-rest-per-7) as a good idea that should be left alone, if The People (the Workers, not Big Business) of that State so wish it, and I served-up some accompanying rationale.

Either the idea of Worker Protection - against tyrannical abuse in the scheduling of workers - has sufficient merit to stand on its own, or it doesn't; either way, it's not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Actually, he's advocating for choice, i.e., freedom.

Did you read your own link?

Wisconsin state Sen. Glenn Grothman (R) is attempting to roll back one of the state's progressive labor laws, arguing that workers should be allowed to work without a day off if they so choose.

"Right now in Wisconsin, you're not supposed to work seven days in a row, which is a little ridiculous because all sorts of people want to work seven days a week," he told The Huffington Post in an interview.

fucking retard, he's fighting for freedom to work, not force you to work

That law gets repealed it just gives the bosses the right to work their workers even harder for even more days in a row. Say you want a day off well tough shit boss has you down for 7 in a row you don't work you get fired...you see it one way I see how it would be used.Typical of republicans they are of course using the "freedom" buzz word to make it sound OK.

From your source:

He's proposing legislation that "would allow an employee to voluntarily choose to work without one day of rest in seven,"
Please take note of the underlined word.

Now don't you feel a little butthurt over not comprehending what YOUR own source stated?
Or, are you just being disingenuous willingly? Either way you're not looking too good right now.

There just isn't enough trust of the GOP and businesses out there for that to be sufficient protection against abuse of workers. And frankly, the GOP and business interests only have themselves to blame for that lack of trust.

The law is fine as is from what I can see. No change needed.

"...OK, but the workers in Wisconsin don't comprise 99.5% of the population. I venture to say that very few other states have a law NOT allowing someone to work 7 days in a row."
If the national percentage (military-vs-civilian) is 99.5%-vs-.5%, then it stands to reason that the sampling universe of the State of Wisconsin holds similar dimensions, yes?

Frankly, I saw no connection between the military and its 24 x 7 x 365 commitment, and civilian labor law, sufficiently strong so as to warrant such a comparison; I thought it a fairly bad context-fit, but played along, anyway.

I don't know about you, but I was merely defending this State Law (1-day-of-rest-per-7) as a good idea that should be left alone, if The People (the Workers, not Big Business) of that State so wish it, and I served-up some accompanying rationale.

Either the idea of Worker Protection - against tyrannical abuse in the scheduling of workers - has sufficient merit to stand on its own, or it doesn't; either way, it's not the end of the world.

I agree that the military is unique, but I have a difficult time understanding the "tyrannical abuse in the scheduling of workers." Union rules don't allow abuse and 'tyrannical abuse' in a non-union work place always results in poor worker performance and the CEO or owner of the business either goes broke or fires who is responsible.

Perhaps I have been lucky, but with one exception, I have always found my bosses to be reasonable and allow for time off when I asked. I outlasted the one exception because he got fired. I consider three of my former bosses among my closest friends to this day.

I assume the voters in Wisconsin will make the right decision.

The only thing that needs to be watched is if a company reprimands a worker for declining to come in if they are asked and say no. If the worker has already put in their 6 days and the boss says "we really need you for tomorrow" and the worker basically says "you can stick it" (nicely of course), should the business be able to punish the worker? We need to make sure the worker is fully protected from any fallout even if that particular worker is the one that is really needed at that particular time.

In the end a company that is needing someone to come in 7 in a row is a shoddy company at best.

not totally. The free market left to its own would eventually eat themselves. The banking crash was evidence of this. The problem is you need simple direct regulations to find the balance, but where you have everyone mostly in it for themselves, you wont get this.

bullshit... the banking crash had the government's hands all over it, start to finish...
And the Gubmint is still meddling.

the government will always have a hand in the economy stupid. This is what you get when the two marry. This is what you get when you have private sector being put in seats that control regulation. The game was rigged, its still rigged, but you go on thinking its governments fault...You simpleton

Grothman has argued in the past that government employees should have to work on MLK Day. He has taken a significant amount of heat from progressives for sponsoring other bills as well, including one repealing the state's Equal Pay Enforcement Act and another that would have considered single parenthood "a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect."
I'll

thats some really dumb shit you just said. Tech people tend to be more liberal btw.

Forum List

Back