Republican Senators send a letter to Iran. Wow. Damn!

The point is that Iran does not care if ISIS destroys any other ME country. ..... Once the ME is in complete chaos, Iran will take advantage of that.

I thought the dominant right-winger Obama-hater absurd and dishonest version of ME events was that:

Afghanistan 2009
(A) Obama didn't send enough troops to Afghanistan to pull Bush's fiasco there out of the jaws of defeat.
(B) Obama set a target date for withdrawal of surge troops giving the enemy time to wait us out and then take over the whole country and enable AL Qaeda & Taliban to overthrow Pakistan & sieze the nukes and the world would be destroyed.

Didn't happen.

Iraq; 2011:
Needlessly and recklessly Pulled troops out when Iraq wasn't ready which would lead to all of Iraq being taken over by terrorists thus intentionally squandering the great Bush victory after the 2003,caused extreme violence and then by 2008' reducing that violence 80% from 2006 levels.

Iraq 2014
Then of course Daesh emerges capturing large parts of Sunni Iraq and it's all Obama's fault for pulling troops out and not forcing Iraq to allow them to stay on US terms. Then of course Baghdad and all of Iraq's oil (for the mid-terms) was to fall into terrorist hands all because 10,000 troops were not forced to stay in Iraq by a soft on terrorist President

Didn't happen

Egypt Arab Spring:
Depending on what day it was Obama was not supporting the protesters. Or not supporting the government then was supporting the Muslim Brotherhood who bought Morsi the Presidency - then Obama was not supporting the protestors or the military or he's supporting the military by not calling it a coup when Morsi was arrested, but then Obama supported the MB too much or the protesters too much or too little or the Army and Al SIsi too much or too little. All this chaos was all Obama's fault and the Nile was to flow with blood of civil war and the peace treaty with Israel was to be in tatters and Armageddon was on the way.

Didn't happen

Syria:
Obama led from behind - led too much. Shoulda armed the rebels. Should not have armed the rebels. The red Line on CW. Obama was a fool to think Assad would actually give up his tons of CW. ISIS splits from Al Qaeda and go bonkers barbaric nutzo so much that Al Qaeda disavowed them. All Obama's fault - the IS is established. These terrorists (without an Air Force???) are going to over-run the entire Middle East - destroy Israel too - Obama does nothing .

Didn't happen

Lybia:
About the same as Syria except for Benghazi. Benghazi. Obama went to bed let our people die. He's on the side of terrorists. Blamed a movie. Won't call them terrorists.

"Please proceed Governor"

So ChrisL are you changing the narrative from "all that is Obama's fault" to its all Iran's fault?

The point is that Iran does not care if ISIS destroys any other ME country. ..... Once the ME is in complete chaos, Iran will take advantage of that.

Or is it still all Obama's fault? And he's giving them the BOMB - Be even more afraid.

You moron, at no time did I say it was all Obama's fault. I said Obama is making a very bad decision to make any kind of deal with Iran regarding nuclear power. DERP. Keep changing the subject and making shit up because you don't have an argument, though.

And again, with the screwed up quoting. Aren't you the one I specifically asked yesterday to fix your quotes? WTF? If you can't handle quoting then you probably shouldn't be posting.
Deal or no deal, Iran is getting a bomb. It's just a matter of when. The best deterrent is to let them know we have 100 nukes aimed at them in case they ever get the idea to do something stupid.

There were idiots claiming the same crap before we were bombed at pearl harbor; had the US intervened in WW2 earlier, many lives would have been saved.

So you would have us start another world war? And that would solve what, exactly, other than our existence on this planet, that is. By the way, you didn't answer my question.

It is Iran who wants WW III. Don't you understand that yet?

I don't think they do. They want to be a regional power and they want to be "respected", and nuclear technology and weaponry is one way to attain "respect" and power. India and Pakistan have nukes and are formable enemies yet neither has anilated the other. Israel has nukes that are much more powerful then anything Iran could produce in the forseable future with the technology they are currently working on (I think Doc pointed that out but everyone ignores it). If Iran were to do anything to Israel - it would have a 5 mile radius and Iran would be obliterated in return. There's a difference between rhetoric and action and despite propaganda and rhetoric to the contrary, Iran is surprisingly stable and doesn't strike me as insane in the way NK is for example. The current set of negotiations are very reminiscent to the old Salt Talks that that started with executive agreements to freeze weaponry and led eventually to a long term treaty.

That's because India and Pakistan are not controlled by insane mullahs who believe in a 12th Imam. Do you understand that? These mullahs want to bring about an apocalyptic scenario and to destroy Israel. That is their goal.

We think of them as "insane mullahs" but their not. They're canny and political, there is no evidence to support that they want an apocolypse.

There is no evidence? It is what THEY say!!

The 12th Imam The Mahdi and Iran Today

First of all, bear in mind that Iran is a fervently Shiite Islamic Republic, with a 98 percent Muslim population and 89 percent of those Muslims identifying as Shiite, according to the CIA World Factbook. Twelver Shiism is the largest branch of Shiite Islam, with about 85 percent of Shiite adhering to the belief in the 12th imam. Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, father of the Islamic Revolution in Iran, was a Twelver. So is the current supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Now, what does this mean? A series of imams was appointed to carry on the Prophet Muhammad's message, they believe, ranking above all other prophets except for Muhammad himself. The 12th, Muhammad al-Mahdi, is believed by these Shiites to have been born in present-day Iraq in 869 and never to have died, only gone into hiding. Twelvers -- not other Shiites or Sunni Muslims -- believe that al-Mahdi will return as a messiah with Jesus to bring peace to the world and establish Islam as the ruling faith across the globe.

The apocalyptic catch? The Mahdi is expected to appear when the world is wracked in utter chaos and war. Many Sunnis also believe that the Mahdi will come in such a judgment-day scenario, but believe that he has not been born yet.

The Twelver beliefs have raised concern in conjunction with Iran's steeped interest in furiously pressing forward with its nuclear program, combined with threats against Israel and the West. Critics of the Islamic Republic allege that Ahmadinejad and the supreme leader would even go so far as to hasten a nuclear showdown and cataclysmic strike -- perhaps an attack on Israel and inevitable retaliation -- to hasten the arrival of the 12th Imam. Ahmadinejad has even called for the reappearance of the 12th Imam from the podium of the United Nations General Assembly. During his speeches within Iran, Ahmadinejad has said that the main mission of the Islamic Revolution is to pave the way for the reappearance of the 12th Imam.

Ummm ... the FSA didn't even exist before 2011. We're talking about the insurgency we were fighting in Iraq.

So who was funding, arming, training and driving the shia militias in iraq to attack US troops? How many times were iranian troops captured in iraq? Plenty.

Yup, I think they want Iraq. They want to control Iraqi oil, of course! It is unbelievable to me that these same people will say such things about the US going after oil, but they refuse to believe that Iran would do the same, and use tricky methods (which they are GOOD at) to do so, along with propaganda and dishonesty. They are not being threatened by ISIS. They have ulterior motives for wanting to "help." Nobody should want their "help" with anything.

Ulterior motives....sure. We all do. However the entire region is threatened by ISIS. I don't think people refuse to believe Iran doesn't have ulterior motives. There are no innocents in this game.

Have you read any of the links I provided? Probably not. Anyhow, they outline perfectly that Iran has a plan. Of course, none of you liberals will admit to that. I think some of you trust Iran mullahs more than the "horrible conservatives" who are your own countrymen!!!

Iran has connections with the Syria civil war. Iran will take the side of whomever they think will be most advantageous to their goals, and that happens to be ISIS now.

How can you deny that the mullahs want an apocalypse? You don't think so? Well, that is exactly what they want according to THEM. So are they lying?
You mean those "countrymen" who screwed us over? Why on Earth should anyone trust them?

And, how are they going to "pave the way" for their crazy 12th Imam? By complete destruction in the ME.

I thought the dominant right-winger Obama-hater absurd and dishonest version of ME events was that:

Afghanistan 2009
(A) Obama didn't send enough troops to Afghanistan to pull Bush's fiasco there out of the jaws of defeat.
(B) Obama set a target date for withdrawal of surge troops giving the enemy time to wait us out and then take over the whole country and enable AL Qaeda & Taliban to overthrow Pakistan & sieze the nukes and the world would be destroyed.

Didn't happen.

Iraq; 2011:
Needlessly and recklessly Pulled troops out when Iraq wasn't ready which would lead to all of Iraq being taken over by terrorists thus intentionally squandering the great Bush victory after the 2003,caused extreme violence and then by 2008' reducing that violence 80% from 2006 levels.

Iraq 2014
Then of course Daesh emerges capturing large parts of Sunni Iraq and it's all Obama's fault for pulling troops out and not forcing Iraq to allow them to stay on US terms. Then of course Baghdad and all of Iraq's oil (for the mid-terms) was to fall into terrorist hands all because 10,000 troops were not forced to stay in Iraq by a soft on terrorist President

Didn't happen

Egypt Arab Spring:
Depending on what day it was Obama was not supporting the protesters. Or not supporting the government then was supporting the Muslim Brotherhood who bought Morsi the Presidency - then Obama was not supporting the protestors or the military or he's supporting the military by not calling it a coup when Morsi was arrested, but then Obama supported the MB too much or the protesters too much or too little or the Army and Al SIsi too much or too little. All this chaos was all Obama's fault and the Nile was to flow with blood of civil war and the peace treaty with Israel was to be in tatters and Armageddon was on the way.

Didn't happen

Syria:
Obama led from behind - led too much. Shoulda armed the rebels. Should not have armed the rebels. The red Line on CW. Obama was a fool to think Assad would actually give up his tons of CW. ISIS splits from Al Qaeda and go bonkers barbaric nutzo so much that Al Qaeda disavowed them. All Obama's fault - the IS is established. These terrorists (without an Air Force???) are going to over-run the entire Middle East - destroy Israel too - Obama does nothing .

Didn't happen

Lybia:
About the same as Syria except for Benghazi. Benghazi. Obama went to bed let our people die. He's on the side of terrorists. Blamed a movie. Won't call them terrorists.

So ChrisL are you changing the narrative from "all that is Obama's fault" to its all Iran's fault?

Or is it still all Obama's fault? And he's giving them the BOMB - Be even more afraid.

You moron, at no time did I say it was all Obama's fault. I said Obama is making a very bad decision to make any kind of deal with Iran regarding nuclear power. DERP. Keep changing the subject and making shit up because you don't have an argument, though.

And again, with the screwed up quoting. Aren't you the one I specifically asked yesterday to fix your quotes? WTF? If you can't handle quoting then you probably shouldn't be posting.
Deal or no deal, Iran is getting a bomb. It's just a matter of when. The best deterrent is to let them know we have 100 nukes aimed at them in case they ever get the idea to do something stupid.

What good is that? Iran knows we are weak and would never light off a nuke. They might be insane but they sure aren't stupid!

Afghanistan 2009

Didn't happen.

Iraq; 2011:

Iraq 2014

Didn't happen

Egypt Arab Spring:

Didn't happen

Syria:

Didn't happen

Lybia:

Nonsense. The best course of action at this point involves severe economic sanctions towards Iran and increased development of our own domestic oil industry. Cheap oil causing damage to the Iranian economy could be an impetus to a revolution against the Mullahs...as long as Obama doesn't fuck it up next time.

Afghanistan 2009

Didn't happen.

Iraq; 2011:

Iraq 2014

Didn't happen

Egypt Arab Spring:

Didn't happen

Syria:

Didn't happen

Lybia:

What good is that? Iran knows we are weak and would never light off a nuke. They might be insane but they sure aren't stupid!
There is no way they believe we would not fire nukes at them if they launched one or more at us. MADD is the only possible deterrent. There is no way of preventing them from obtaining nukes. The only solution is to be crystal clear that they will not be the ones to launch the last missile.

Afghanistan 2009

Didn't happen.

Iraq; 2011:

Iraq 2014

Didn't happen

Egypt Arab Spring:

Didn't happen

Syria:

Didn't happen

Lybia:

There is no way they believe we would not fire nukes at them if they launched one or more at us. MADD is the only possible deterrent. There is no way of preventing them from obtaining nukes. The only solution is to be crystal clear that they will not be the ones to launch the last missile.

They probably wouldn't have the capabilities to strike at the United States. Instead they will hit Israel, Iraq, and all of the other countries that surround them. You are aware that none of the Arab countries like Iran? It's because Iranians are Persians. WTF that matters, I don't have any clue, but that's a fact. Iran hates everyone and everyone hates Iran.

Afghanistan 2009

Didn't happen.

Iraq; 2011:

Iraq 2014

Didn't happen

Egypt Arab Spring:

Didn't happen

Syria:

Didn't happen

Lybia:

There is a way to stop them, with heavy sanctions. We threaten those countries who refuse to participate with sanctions as well. You are aware that we give pretty much ALL of those countries money every year? Yes, there are options.

Afghanistan 2009

Didn't happen.

Iraq; 2011:

Iraq 2014

Didn't happen

Egypt Arab Spring:

Didn't happen

Syria:

Didn't happen

Lybia:

Nonsense. The best course of action at this point involves severe economic sanctions towards Iran and increased development of our own domestic oil industry. Cheap oil causing damage to the Iranian economy could be an impetus to a revolution against the Mullahs...as long as Obama doesn't fuck it up next time.

Ha! Great minds think alike! :D

I'm telling you, I am grateful for those senators for writing that letter. I hope they fight Obama ALL THE WAY on this.

Any nation with the knowledge to build nuclear weapons also knows how dangerous they are - even nuts like North Korea. So far, only one nation has ever fired nukes at another nation.

Because they are polls. Americans do not approve of a nuclear Iran, nor do they trust Iran. It is really that simple. Why on earth WOULD they? Can you answer that question?

Iran
First off, a nuclear Iran is none of our fucking business. And secondly, any country smart enough to build "the bomb", is also smart enough to know that if they use that "bomb", their country will glow in the dark.

You just aren't very educated on the religious belief system of the Iranians. They are Islamic extremists in every sense of the word.

These are people who kill themselves just to kill other people, and you people think they are concerned . . . about anything?

As I pointed out, iran is fomenting wars across the mideast, is running terrorist proxies in many other countries, and is despised by the majority sunni populations who will not tolerate living under an iranian jackboot forever. Either you get iran out of lebanon, yemen, iraq, bahrain, and morocco, or you will have festering wars - and probably a major one - in the near term.
Fuck you, asshole, Iran is not doing any of that shit.

This is just like the run-up to the Iraq war. War mongering pieces of shit like you, are ramping up all the bullshit to start another unnecessary war.

Go fuck yourself, liar!

You're just a stupid idiot apparently with your stupid fat head buried in the sand. Keep it there. It's too ugly to look at.

Well, this is proving to be a very active thread!

Nice!

So, more than 2,100 postings since I wrote the OP, time for my personal opinion. The OP is now simply historical fact.

Putting aside that the 47 GOP Senators have fucked up, which is no new surprise, and putting aside Netanyahu's scare tactics in order to get re-elected, Iran, on the other side is not innocent in all of this. It never has been. Shariah law sucks.

Indeed, Ahmed Achmedinijhad spoke quite openly of wiping Israel off the map and indeed, Iran has been sponsoring terrorist groups, including His'ballah and also quite possible ISIS. Righties are not off the mark by making sure to remind us of these facts.

Whether or not you take the tack that US politics has been fucking up in Iran since the 1950s is in a way beside the point, for a decision to utterly hate a nation goes way beyond any US-Iran politics, and Iran has an irrational hate of Israel and of Jews. You aren't going to change that hate with any treaty.

So, I don't want Iran to ever get the bomb, either. Anyone who is arguing that Iran should also have access to the bomb is just crazy.

Which is why, if a treaty delays Iran, then all the better.

Obama is probably fighting for the best of all bad options. There are no really good options in all of this, as long as hate is at the top of the list for a number of countries, most especially Iran. What Righties want to go with either leads to the complete annihilation of Iran, or will lead to Iran getting the bomb more quickly than they realize.

What I also witness are a number of self-professed Conservatives, also armchair coaches, who think they know international politics better than the sitting POTUS. And they don't even see that those 47 Senators really, really fucked up. They are cheering for treachery as if treachery is normal. That is just plain old bizarre.

At the same time, some extreme Lefties want to make Iran innocent and the victim. It is not, and it is not. That's just as bizarre.

Are there any adults left out there?

Ummm ... the FSA didn't even exist before 2011. We're talking about the insurgency we were fighting in Iraq.

So who was funding, arming, training and driving the shia militias in iraq to attack US troops? How many times were iranian troops captured in iraq? Plenty.

Yup, I think they want Iraq. They want to control Iraqi oil, of course! It is unbelievable to me that these same people will say such things about the US going after oil, but they refuse to believe that Iran would do the same, and use tricky methods (which they are GOOD at) to do so, along with propaganda and dishonesty. They are not being threatened by ISIS. They have ulterior motives for wanting to "help." Nobody should want their "help" with anything.

Ulterior motives....sure. We all do. However the entire region is threatened by ISIS. I don't think people refuse to believe Iran doesn't have ulterior motives. There are no innocents in this game.

Have you read any of the links I provided? Probably not. Anyhow, they outline perfectly that Iran has a plan. Of course, none of you liberals will admit to that. I think some of you trust Iran mullahs more than the "horrible conservatives" who are your own countrymen!!!

Or that "horrible liberal" who is our elected president.

I don't "trust them". But I DO trust our president - who is OUR elected leader - to negotiate the best possible deal for OUR interests. Unlike the "horrible conservatives" who's main agenda has been, from Obama's election, to prevent any sort of accomplishment.

As a "horrible liberal" I support our President's effort and, as he has stated - nothing is off the table. But war should never ever be the first or even second or third option. The "horrible conservatives" don't want to allow diplomacy and negotiations a chance and from the beginning that has been apparent. The want yet another Mid East war. Haven't we learned anything from the mess we made of Iraq, which I might add removed the main counter-balance to Iran's regional ambitions?

Iran has connections with the Syria civil war. Iran will take the side of whomever they think will be most advantageous to their goals, and that happens to be ISIS now.

Really now? Agree, they do have connections with the Syrian civil war - it's in their backyard (not ours). And yes, they will take the side of whomever they think will be most advantageous to their goals - helllllloooo - so do we.

Taking the side of ISIS? No evidence to support that.

How can you deny that the mullahs want an apocalypse? You don't think so? Well, that is exactly what they want according to THEM. So are they lying?

According to WHO?

Your link - at least the one I read was The 12th Imam The Mahdi and Iran Today

Ahmademonjob is not in power. He is one individual and, even as elected president - he doesn't have much power. It's rather vague interview on beliefs - not actions.

Afghanistan 2009

Didn't happen.

Iraq; 2011:

Iraq 2014

Didn't happen

Egypt Arab Spring:

Didn't happen

Syria:

Didn't happen

Lybia:

There have been sanctions on Iran for 35 years so far. How many more years until that revolution happens? What are the chances they develop a nuke before then?

Faun 10966335
Deal or no deal, Iran is getting a bomb. It's just a matter of when

Iran is more likely but not all that likely to get a bomb if there is no deal. The reason is the 'breakout period of one year' that is being negotiated.

If you don't know what that is I'll let Obama explains it.

.The American president said the best way to ensure that Iran does not develop a nuclear bomb is not through additional sanctions or a military option - but through diplomacy.

“What we've said from the start is by organizing a strong sanctions regime, what we can do is bring Iran to the table," he said. "And by bringing Iran to the table, force them to have a serious negotiation in which we are able to see exactly what's going on inside of Iran.”

The president added that a break-out period of a year - the time Iran would need to make a nuclear weapon, if it decided to do so - would give international monitors a chance to detect any violations, and that Iran could be stopped through military action during that period, if need be.

Obama said Iran should commit to freezing its nuclear program for at least 10 years in order for a successful deal to be reached, and he noted that the chances of reaching such an agreement were still less than 50 percent.

Obama Iran Must Freeze Sensitive Nuclear Activity for At Least a Decade Embassy of the United States

Key paragraph from the remarks :

"The president added that a break-out period of a year - the time Iran would need to make a nuclear weapon, if it decided to do so - would give international monitors a chance to detect any violations, and that Iran could be stopped through military action during that period, if need be.

stopped through military action

stopped through military actio

And with the deal the international community will be "able to see exactly what's going on inside of Iran.” As Obama said,

Military targeting will be better known with a deal.

ChrisL has been lying to you that Americans don't agree with making a deal. She's lying because Obama matches the polls that say Americans want a deal and they want military action if Iran breaks the deal.

Afghanistan 2009

Didn't happen.

Iraq; 2011:

Iraq 2014

Didn't happen

Egypt Arab Spring:

Didn't happen

Syria:

Didn't happen

Lybia:

There is a way to stop them, with heavy sanctions. We threaten those countries who refuse to participate with sanctions as well. You are aware that we give pretty much ALL of those countries money every year? Yes, there are options.
How well did sanctions work in preventing North Korea from building nukes?

Forum List

Back