🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Republican top priority.....Raise taxes on the poor

Cutting taxes does jack shit for creating jobs. Why?

Because you're wrong.

Because stimulating supply means jack shit if you don't stimulate demand. Seriously think about it. Say you have a shoe business

Say that taxes are too high and they stop you from opening your shoe business in the first place.

There is no problem with supply in today's economy.

Sure there is, my shoe business is on the drawing board, not creating jobs and sales.

Low wages is what feeds it.

You can raise the minimum wage, but the employees in the store I never opened won't benefit.

You receive a tax cut which allows you to sell 300 in your store instead of 200 per month.

Excellent! This will encourage me to expand from 2 stores to 3. More jobs, more sales, more profits!
But taxes aren't too high. Revenue as a percentage of GDP in this country is at 16%. That's near a historic low. Both Bush and Obama made sure to cut taxes during the recessions. That of course created more national debt.

The investment class is doing better now more than ever.

Of course they would.

Lol it wouldn't matter if you opened a new store you goon. Demand was the same as it was before. If your business suffered before it would suffer even more because demand in the area remained unchanged.

But taxes aren't too high.

We have the highest corporate tax rate in the world.

Lol it wouldn't matter if you opened a new store you goon. Demand was the same as it was before.

LOL! My taxes have been cut, I can stimulate more demand with lower prices you idiot.
So you would lower your prices and open a new store? Man you would make a terrible business man

So you would lower your prices and open a new store?

You're right, if I want to increase demand I'd raise prices. LOL!
The most effective way to boost business is by stimuluating demand. More demand allows you to lower prices. The other problem with supply side is that businesses typically keep the money they saved in their tax cuts rather than invest it. If they do invest, they invest very little.

The most effective way to boost business is by stimuluating demand.

You're right, lowering prices never stimulates demand.

The other problem with supply side is that businesses typically keep the money they saved in their tax cuts rather than invest it.

Based on your feelings, I'm unconvinced.

Why would you prevent companies from deducting a typical business expense?

To get the government out of the board room and allow the market to control costs.

We also don't need to ignore the fact the government already uses big oil ... And its ability to supply gasoline to everyone through the end of a nozzle at any pump ... As a fricken cash-cow.

There is no easy answer.

To get the government out of the board room and allow the market to control costs.

Charging a business on their revenues, by disallowing deduction of expenses, is not getting the government out of the boardroom.

That is probably why I indicated there is no easy answer if you don't address both.

You don't have to address a business deducting business expenses.

You do if you want to get government out of the board room. I would rather there were no deductions and lower taxes.

Let business do business and pay their own expenses ... Let the government try to handle their revenue stream like a business should. Monkeying around with who gets what deductions ... Is exactly what opens the door for government corruption and complicates the tax code.

Last edited:

You do if you want to get government out of the board room. I would rather there were no deductions and lower taxes.

Let business do business and pay their own expenses ... Let the government try to handle their revenue stream like a business should. Monkeying around with who gets what deductions ... Is exactly what opens the door for government corruption and complicates the tax code.

I would rather there were no deductions and lower taxes.

You'd rather businesses did not deduct employee salary and other business expenses? Why?

Let business do business and pay their own expenses

They do pay their own expenses.
That's what makes them deductible.

Monkeying around with who gets what deductions

Every business gets to deduct their expenses.

How exactly do you measure this wage issue? Businesses pay the bare minimum because they can get away with it. It's how they maximize profit.

However the one doing the paying measures it. Since it's not your business, it's not your place to tele else what they should pay their employees. If you want to make that determination for someone, start your own business, pay what you want, and no one will tell you otherwise.

Do you know why businesses go into business?
A relationship between an employer and employee is give and take. They rely on one another. The employee deserves a wage they can live off of. Now you'll say "well the employee can work somewhere else!". Well that doesn't work if millions of people have NO CHOICE but to take a low wage job. Employees are at the mercy of the low wages. You can deny that all you want but it's still true.

Wrong, you only "deserve" what your labor is worth to your employer. The employer does not owe you a lifestyle of your choosing.

The employer deserves to offer a fair wage.

Lincoln was absolutely right that labor always precedes capital in importance.

if an employer does not offer a "fair" wage, no one will agree to work for him.

If the employee, who knew the wage BEFORE they started, didn't like it, they had the option of saying no to it. Accepting it then saying it's not fairs shows me they are whiners.

You'd rather businesses did not deduct employee salary and other business expenses? Why?

I am not talking about deductions for payroll ... I am talking about deductions for costs in regards to equipment and expansion. I don't care if everyone does it ... I wasn't arguing about who does it.

you'll find out when you starty paying more of what you say you're not paying ... everybody pays taxes

Somebody who doesn't work and has no income doesn't pay taxes, it's impossible. All they do is transfer some of the money given them back to the entity that gave it to them in the first place.

There are plenty that do work, have an income yet still pay no income taxes. In fact, a family of four with 2 adults and 2 children pays ZERO income taxes until the gross income is just shy of $47,000. That's 2x the poverty level. They pay zero for no other reason than the makeup of the family.

I am not talking about deductions for payroll ... I am talking about deductions for costs in regards to equipment and expansion. I don't care if everyone does it ... I wasn't arguing about who does it.

I am talking about deductions for costs in regards to equipment and expansion.

Yes, eliminating a deduction that has been around forever is a sure way to get business to expand. LOL!

Yes, eliminating a deduction that has been around forever is a sure way to get business to expand. LOL!

Act like business expansion should be a concern of the tax code ...

Business equipment should be deductible immediately, not stretched out over a long period of time and certainly not eliminated completely. Unless you are totally clueless when it comes to business and economics.

Business equipment should be deductible immediately, not stretched out over a long period of time and certainly not eliminated completely. Unless you are totally clueless when it comes to business and economics.

I am certainly not clueless ... And know about business deductions. I also know that deductions don't provide revenue to the government ... And if the revenue concerns were left in the hands of the company to start with ... There wouldn't be a need to deduct anything or involve the government.

If you want business to handle expansion on their own terms ... Screw the deductions and lower their taxes to start with.

The Republican Party s top priority is to raise taxes on the poor. Literally. - The Week

Following their convincing victory in the 2014 elections, everyone is wondering what Republicans will do with their new majority in the Senate and House. Well, their policy agenda is becoming clear. It will be unrestrained class warfare against the poor.
This priority was made apparent over the last week during the negotiation of a colossal tax cut package. Senate Democrats and Republicans had been doing some low-key negotiations to renew a slew of tax cuts for corporations and lower- and middle-income Americans, according to reporting from Brian Faler and Rachel Bade at Politico.
Then President Obama announced his executive action on immigration. Enraged Republicans promptly took vengeance on all the goodies for the working poor (as well as for clean energy), cutting them out of the deal and proposing a raft of permanent tax cuts for corporations alone worth $440 billion over 10 years.
Obama is as determined to show that the GOP cannot govern and will never pass a bill in the House allowing illegal aliens permanent legal status as the GOP is determined to show it can govern while simultaneously not doing comprehensive immigration reform. It's on to 2016. )-:

I heard somewhere that the word 'comprehensive' stands for all the bad stuff in a bill.
Yes, TT, I realize you, like about 30% of americans, don't want legal status for illegal aliens who've been here working for ten years or more.

What's your rationale for immediate deduction, rather than the current practice of depreciation?

The Republican Party s top priority is to raise taxes on the poor. Literally. - The Week

Following their convincing victory in the 2014 elections, everyone is wondering what Republicans will do with their new majority in the Senate and House. Well, their policy agenda is becoming clear. It will be unrestrained class warfare against the poor.
This priority was made apparent over the last week during the negotiation of a colossal tax cut package. Senate Democrats and Republicans had been doing some low-key negotiations to renew a slew of tax cuts for corporations and lower- and middle-income Americans, according to reporting from Brian Faler and Rachel Bade at Politico.
Then President Obama announced his executive action on immigration. Enraged Republicans promptly took vengeance on all the goodies for the working poor (as well as for clean energy), cutting them out of the deal and proposing a raft of permanent tax cuts for corporations alone worth $440 billion over 10 years.
Obama is as determined to show that the GOP cannot govern and will never pass a bill in the House allowing illegal aliens permanent legal status as the GOP is determined to show it can govern while simultaneously not doing comprehensive immigration reform. It's on to 2016. )-:

I heard somewhere that the word 'comprehensive' stands for all the bad stuff in a bill.
Yes, TT, I realize you, like about 30% of americans, don't want legal status for illegal aliens who've been here working for ten years or more.

Is there anything else that you realize about me?

I am certainly not clueless ... And know about business deductions. I also know that deductions don't provide revenue to the government ... And if the revenue concerns were left in the hands of the company to start with ... There wouldn't be a need to deduct anything or involve the government.

If you want business to handle expansion on their own terms ... Screw the deductions and lower their taxes to start with.

To what rate?

What's your rationale for immediate deduction, rather than the current practice of depreciation?

It would give the economy a nice boost.

But, if a company buys cap equipment, with a useful life of ten years, that will increase profits for ten years, then making the company take the entire deduction in year one will actually hurt the company because in years 2-10 it will have higher profits than it had in year one because of the new equipment, but it will not have the tax deduction.

But, if a company buys cap equipment, with a useful life of ten years, that will increase profits for ten years, then making the company take the entire deduction in year one will actually hurt the company because in years 2-10 it will have higher profits than it had in year one because of the new equipment, but it will not have the tax deduction.

I'm sure they'd prefer taking it all in year 1.

Forum List

Back