Republicans are clueless when it comes to fixing the economy

Isn't it a little pathetic that the only economic solution republicans have for fixing the economy are tax cuts for the wealthy? Guess what? Tax cuts for the wealthy only help the wealthy. Why? Because stimulating supply side means dick if you don't stimulate demand side. Obama understood this. Republicans didn't. 4.6 jobs per million dollar cut is all Bush has to show for. That and the billions it added to our national debt. (Let's not forget the 10 trillion of our 17 trillion debt is from Bush's time as president).

According to the CBO, JP Morgan, and Moody, Obama's stimulus package created 2.5 million jobs. Why wasn't enough? Because republicans insisted it be smaller. But why? 280 billion of the 787 billion spent was TAX CUTS. Why did those tax cuts create jobs? Because it included the biggest tax cut for the middle class since Reagan. Not only that, but it included the extension of unemployment insurance. Unemployed people who would otherwise be not spending money were spending money. Those benefits were spent immediately on basic necessities like food, clothing and shelter. That extra demand created jobs. 19000 jobs per billion dollar unemployment benefits. This is an example of DEMAND side economics in action.

Why would more tax cuts for the wealthy be useless? Well obviously because corporate profits are at an all time high and 1% of the top earners own 40% of the nation's wealth. More tax cuts for the wealthy would do dick to create jobs. That is republican's ONLY economic solution. That makes them useless.

What is the solution? More DEMAND side economic policies like the stimulus that is proven to work. Bigger this time so it will make a difference. Does that mean more national debt? Of course, but tax cutting means more debt as well. The difference is that Obama's economic policies work. Unfortunately 2.5 million jobs wasn't enough to make a dent in the 8 million jobs we lost from the 2008 crisis. Like I said, BIGGER.

Here is a non partisan analysis that confirms everything that I have said here. Proof the stimulus worked.

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/poli...he-obama-stimulus-a-success-or-a-failure.html

Here is an article from Moody that explains why extending unemployment benefits creates jobs.

Why Extended Federal Unemployment Benefits Boost the Economy

The country by almost all measures is going down the tubes and you post your BS blaming the party that I am quite sure last week you would be laughing at for not winning elections. Businesses created the jobs not Obama. Corporations create wealth not Obama or the government. The stimulus packages may indeed have created some short term employment but at what cost to our grandchildren?

Isn't it a little pathetic that the only economic solution republicans have for fixing the economy are tax cuts for the wealthy? Guess what? Tax cuts for the wealthy only help the wealthy. Why? Because stimulating supply side means dick if you don't stimulate demand side. Obama understood this. Republicans didn't. 4.6 jobs per million dollar cut is all Bush has to show for. That and the billions it added to our national debt. (Let's not forget the 10 trillion of our 17 trillion debt is from Bush's time as president).

According to the CBO, JP Morgan, and Moody, Obama's stimulus package created 2.5 million jobs. Why wasn't enough? Because republicans insisted it be smaller. But why? 280 billion of the 787 billion spent was TAX CUTS. Why did those tax cuts create jobs? Because it included the biggest tax cut for the middle class since Reagan. Not only that, but it included the extension of unemployment insurance. Unemployed people who would otherwise be not spending money were spending money. Those benefits were spent immediately on basic necessities like food, clothing and shelter. That extra demand created jobs. 19000 jobs per billion dollar unemployment benefits. This is an example of DEMAND side economics in action.

Why would more tax cuts for the wealthy be useless? Well obviously because corporate profits are at an all time high and 1% of the top earners own 40% of the nation's wealth. More tax cuts for the wealthy would do dick to create jobs. That is republican's ONLY economic solution. That makes them useless.

What is the solution? More DEMAND side economic policies like the stimulus that is proven to work. Bigger this time so it will make a difference. Does that mean more national debt? Of course, but tax cutting means more debt as well. The difference is that Obama's economic policies work. Unfortunately 2.5 million jobs wasn't enough to make a dent in the 8 million jobs we lost from the 2008 crisis. Like I said, BIGGER.

Here is a non partisan analysis that confirms everything that I have said here. Proof the stimulus worked.

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/poli...he-obama-stimulus-a-success-or-a-failure.html

Here is an article from Moody that explains why extending unemployment benefits creates jobs.

The country by almost all measures is going down the tubes and you post your BS blaming the party that I am quite sure last week you would be laughing at for not winning elections. Businesses created the jobs not Obama. Corporations create wealth not Obama or the government. The stimulus packages may indeed have created some short term employment but at what cost to our grandchildren?

As I said corporate profits are at an all time high. Where are the jobs?

Which corporate profits? All of them? Do you have that list? Hardly. Gross revenues are spotty.

The primary reason stocks are high is because fundamentals are good. What are fundamentals? Net profit percentages are high because corporations are doing more with less. And, corporation balance sheets are fat because they're not spending money and that free cash flow looks good to investors.

Why are SOME corporations doing more with less, and why are they hoarding cash? One painfully obvious reason is that the current government/business environment is so hostile. I could provide all of the examples of that, but I'm not going to put out that much effort and I'm not sure this website is equipped with the requisite bandwidth for all of them. And companies are not motivated to hire when the government is this hostile. Good gawd, this really should be obvious.

And there are plenty of exceptions. AAPL for example, which just announced a freaking massive stock buyback. So THEY'RE hoarding STOCK in this environment. Smart.

This "corporate profits are at an all time high" meme is typical simplistic partisan patter.

Ironic thread title is very, very ironic.

Which corporate profits? All of them? Do you have that list? Hardly. Gross revenues are spotty.

The primary reason stocks are high is because fundamentals are good. What are fundamentals? Net profit percentages are high because corporations are doing more with less. And, corporation balance sheets are fat because they're not spending money and that free cash flow looks good to investors.

Why are SOME corporations doing more with less, and why are they hoarding cash? One painfully obvious reason is that the current government/business environment is so hostile. I could provide all of the examples of that, but I'm not going to put out that much effort and I'm not sure this website is equipped with the requisite bandwidth for all of them. And companies are not motivated to hire when the government is this hostile. Good gawd, this really should be obvious.

And there are plenty of exceptions. AAPL for example, which just announced a freaking massive stock buyback. So THEY'RE hoarding STOCK in this environment. Smart.

This "corporate profits are at an all time high" meme is typical simplistic partisan patter.

What do you think is the effect of 401ks on keeping the stock market high? It seems to me that the American worker is pouring money into the stock market everyday. Naturally this would seem to keep the stock market growing while other economic indicators take a downturn.

I just thought I read where you were bragging that Obama created 2 million jobs. The reality isn't that Obama created one job, corporations and business created those jobs.

And yet you can't explain why it's wrong.

I don't need to explain anything.... I'M LIVING AND SUFFERING through it....
but you can keep making excuse for him like a good useful tool subject for a party by blaming everyone else, ho hum the usual

I'm not saying Obama fixed the economy. I'm saying he could have had republicans not fucked everything up. However what he did do is prevent the economy from collapsing from the 2008 crisis.

Obama owned the congress for 2 years passed the stimulus that utterly failed

Harry Reid refuses to bring bills passed in the house up for a vote.
The only thing Obama has done is print money and artificially inflate the stock market to fill the bubble that will burst after his lame duck term.

I just thought I read where you were bragging that Obama created 2 million jobs. The reality isn't that Obama created one job, corporations and business created those jobs.

With the help of government legislation.

What do you think is the effect of 401ks on keeping the stock market high? It seems to me that the American worker is pouring money into the stock market everyday. Naturally this would seem to keep the stock market growing while other economic indicators take a downturn.

Tough question. On one hand, inflows to qualified plans generally remain fairly consistent because they're automatic out of paychecks, so the ebb & flow there doesn't have too much effect, I reckon. I'm an investment advisor and I rarely if ever see any kind of significant changes there with my business clients.

On the other hand, the mutual funds within the plans do buy & sell, and there's about $3.5T invested in them through qualified plans like 401K's.

Hmm. I guess my answer would be "a little". How's that for an evasive answer!

Tough question. On one hand, inflows to qualified plans generally remain fairly consistent because they're automatic out of paychecks, so the ebb & flow there doesn't have too much effect, I reckon. I'm an investment advisor and I rarely if ever see any kind of significant changes there with my business clients.

On the other hand, the mutual funds within the plans do buy & sell, and there's about $3.5T invested in them through qualified plans like 401K's.

The retirement savings participation is not driving the stock market. it never has.

Americans on average save very little for retirement.

What's driving the market is the artificially low interest rates and the government printing money.

People are borrowing at near zero interest and then investing in the market and the people doing that are not your average Joe.

What will happen to your average Joe is that when the bubble fueled by the above scenario bursts is that he will get crushed again unless he is vigilant and protects his portfolio.

And history shows that the average Joe investor is not vigilant.

The retirement savings participation is not driving the stock market. it never has.

What's driving the market is the artificially low interest rates and the government printing money.

People are borrowing at near zero interest and then investing in the market and the people doing that are not your average Joe.

What will happen to your average Joe is that when the bubble fueled by the above scenario bursts is that he will get crushed again unless he is vigilant and protects his portfolio.

I disagree on a few of those points.

The people who would borrow at near zero interest to turn around and invest that money are relatively few, and those who would (who actually know what they're doing) would recognize the distortions in the market. An exception would be arbitrage, and that's not going to drive a market.

People who have 401K plans don't jump in and out of them. I look at my clients' accounts regularly, and it's very, very rare that they're taking money out before retirement. That money is remaining in those accounts, and they don't even move to stable value funds when the market is going down. Most 401K contributors set it and forget it, for the most part.

We knew the market was inflated with Bush, too, because of the real estate bubble. It was as clear as a bell, and no one in qualified plans was moving to "protect their portfolio". When valuations are increasing, people pile in (outside of 401K plans) regardless of how artificial the reasons are.

I"ll put it another way: People inside qualified accounts are far, far less active investors than those who are outside qualified accounts.

Last edited:

20 years ago there were no 401Ks. Thus any extra money, for most people, went into savings or CDs. Now it seems to me that every company offers a 401K plan. Most companies base their retirement plans on a 401K. I am not sure how this can not have an effect on the stock market.

Oh horse shit. You should learn to use Google. A quick search will enlighten you. Just try typing in; "record corporate profits" like I did and see what comes up. I saw several articles on just one page claiming record profits.

Didn't read even one article that claimed the bullshit that you said.

And I loved the part you included about how hostile the current admin. is toward business.
They sure have been hard on them eh. What with all that record profit and lower taxes.

You my man, are fucking nuts.

But what is really funny is watching you dodge the legitimate question of; with the tax breaks for the ultra wealthy and corporations doing so well, where are the fucking jobs people like YOU claimed would be happening IF only the taxes could be lowered and the corporations could be coddled.

Where are the jobs dude?

20 years ago there were no 401Ks. Thus any extra money, for most people, went into savings or CDs. Now it seems to me that every company offers a 401K plan. Most companies base their retirement plans on a 401K. I am not sure how this can not have an effect on the stock market.

FYI the 401 k was established in 1978.

It seems to me that the money put into a 401K is fairly constant. Like filling a swimming pool. As long as no one shuts off the hose or the pool gets a leak the level has to increase. That is why when the stock market goes down, in my opinion, it means that someone rich is taking money off the top.

It seems to me that the money put into a 401K is fairly constant. Like filling a swimming pool. As long as no one shuts off the hose or the pool gets a leak the level has to increase. That is why when the stock market goes down, in my opinion, it means that someone rich is taking money off the top.

Remember that plenty of people are taking money out of 401K's via retirement income, and that number is increasing rapidly as the baby boomer population increases. I don't have the comparisons of inflow to retirement outflow in front of me, but that's definitely a big mitigating factor.

The stock market is a lousy indicator of the economy. Right now the market is absolutely devoid of reason or rationality, and it moves up and down based on emotion, especially the emotion of institutional investors such as insurance companies, pension plans, etc. It moves based on split-second information, and even when that information is flat wrong.

"Someone rich" is always going to make money on moves, but the move can be up or down.

Last edited:
umhmmm, how many time are they going post this..?
and as we see the Dear Leader is even worse at it...

thread fail

And yet you can't explain why it's wrong.

I can tell you that what I KNOW over 70 years of living is that the following statements made by Obama DOES NOT HELP the economy.

Obama has said or has hired people that believe in the following:
Obama prefers.."single payer health system"... which means 1,300 companies go out of business that pay $100 billion a year in taxes employing 400,000.

No president should believe in bankrupting ANY company..much less electric utilities.."if somebody wants to build coal utility plant it’s just that it will bankrupt them"

Obama has SAID that "Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket"

Obama said I'd like higher gas prices, just not so quickly" LiveLeak.com - Obama: Id like higher gas prices, just not so quickly
What kind of dummy wants HIGHER GAS PRICES??

And He hires people that believe that also like Energy secretary Chu, who said in 2008
“Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe."

Obama hates our military and has said our military methodically planed and on purpose "bombs villages.. killing civilians"!

Hired EPA management that are involved in managing dust on country roads or fining a Wyoming welder $75,000 a day for building pond on his property"

Has lied to ALL Americans to pass Obamacare....Remember "you can keep your doctor"??
Told all of there were 46 million uninsured BEFORE ACA was passed and now agrees that:
1) 10 million of those counted by the Census as Uninsured WERE NOT CITIZENS!
2) 14 million should have been enrolled BEFORE ACA in Medicaid as they were eligible.. BUT he on purpose did NOT reveal that and counted them!
3) Obama counted fraudulently 18 million people THAT have NO need for insurance (under 34) can afford employers' health plan (make over $50k)
subtract these 42 million from 46 and you get 4 million!
But because Obama stupidly and totally economically IGNORANT says "I prefer single payer.."he LIED about 46 million uninsured!

NO PRESIDENT of MINE would ever condone much less implement the above totally ignorant and definitely DESTRUCTIVE agenda!

Last edited:

FYI the 401 k was established in 1978.

nit pick

Investment is important but it is only as good as the demand that is created out of it. That is how our economic system works.

No, that is not true. Business invesmtent stimulates the economy, increasing efficiency, bringing new products, and lowering costs. Consumer demand is relatively unimportant for growth.
Don't worry. Most of Obama's economic advisors believe just like you do. That's why their policies have faiiled decisively over the last 5 years.

Think about what you are saying. Lowering costs and bringing in new products means dick if people are not spending adequate money to meet the spike in supply. Corporate profits are at an all time high. Tell me, where are the jobs?
If you raise the price of something, you get less of it sold. Obama raised the price of labor through an increase in min wage plus employer mandates like ACA. That makes hiring more expensive, ergo there is less of it. Corporate profits are high because companies have been cutting costs, not increasing revenue. They wont raise costs by hiring until they absolutely have to.
The Democratic economic policies, based on nonsense like what you are promoting, are demonstrated failures, producing the worst economic recovery in history.

Remember that plenty of people are taking money out of 401K's via retirement income, and that number is increasing rapidly as the population increases. I don't have the comparisons of inflow to retirement outflow in front of me, but that's definitely a big mitigating factor.

The stock market is a lousy indicator of the economy. Right now the market is absolutely devoid of reason or rationality, and it moves up and down based on emotion, especially the emotion of institutional investors such as insurance companies, pension plans, etc. It moves based on split-second information, and even when that information is flat wrong.

"Someone rich" is always going to make money on moves, but the move can be up or down.

The market is benefitting from lack of competing investments. If Treasuries were paying 5-6% do you think the market would be at these levels?

Forum List

Back