Republicans Create Rider To Stop Net Neutrality

Are you in favor of corporations restricting our access to information?

Asinine question. They can't do that. No more than newspapers or radio stations can.

Dood. Do you have any idea how the internet works? Surely you understand that an ISP can route your traffic however they want to, right?

Your comments keep avoiding questions because you've been painted into a corner. You keep repeating the same anti-government / free market bullshit over and over.

And I'm not even fighting you on either of those points, slow kid.

I'm for a free market. I'm not for a government totalitarian information agency.

This isn't about a choice between Verizon and Charter, dimwit. It's about an ENTIRE INDUSTRY taking over the routing of information!!!

Apparently you've been brainwashed into hating anything you perceive as liberal so you keep parroting back the same response. It's frustrating because it's so ridiculous.

In parts of Alabama where I live...there's only one internet provider. There is no choice. Once that company decides that I must sit through 30 minutes of XYZ news before I can surf the internet...and then I can only surf to XYZ style sites....I have no choice.

Ahh but you're going to say, internet isn't a right! You can choose to move and if you can't afford to move, nothing says you're owed internet.

YOURE MISSING THE POINT!!!!

How about not allowing corporations with the money and power to control information (and minds) change the internet from what it is now...working perfectly well...to their wet dream of control?

Why should government tell you what to carry on your private network?

The government should tell corporations to carry all traffic, without discriminating.

Communications network are not 'private'. Society has a huge interest in that.

If tomorrow Verizon, Time Warner and Comcast decided to shut down their networks, what would you do?

Buy from someone else, who will be glad to have my business.

What is government's claim to the fiber optic cable Verizon laid in my condo complex at their own cost?

Are you in favor of corporations restricting our access to information?

Asinine question. They can't do that. No more than newspapers or radio stations can.

Dood. Do you have any idea how the internet works? Surely you understand that an ISP can route your traffic however they want to, right?

Your comments keep avoiding questions because you've been painted into a corner. You keep repeating the same anti-government / free market bullshit over and over.

I'm for a free market. I'm not for a government totalitarian information agency.

This isn't about a choice between Verizon and Charter, dimwit. It's about an ENTIRE INDUSTRY taking over the routing of information!!!

Apparently you've been brainwashed into hating anything you perceive as liberal so you keep parroting back the same response. It's frustrating because it's so ridiculous.

In parts of Alabama where I live...there's only one internet provider. There is no choice. Once that company decides that I must sit through 30 minutes of XYZ news before I can surf the internet...and then I can only surf to XYZ style sites....I have no choice.

Ahh but you're going to say, internet isn't a right! You can choose to move and if you can't afford to move, nothing says you're owed internet.

How about not allowing corporations with the money and power to control information (and minds) change the internet from what it is now...working perfectly well...to their wet dream of control?

If you own a computer network, why should government tell you what to do with it?

What is government's claim to the fiber optic cable Verizon laid in my condo complex at their own cost?

so you basically support censorship of the internet?

I can buy any newspaper I want. Or none of them.

Yes you can.

However, unlike a newspaper, a proivider simply offers you access to information....it does not actually write or develop the information....so if a carrier decided to only allow you access to what IT deems appropriate, how would you know? Unlike a newspaper, where you can compare the newspaper with others you can buy, you can not simply use mnore than one internet carrier to compare.

Exactly. Internet isn't a right.

The only right in the Internet is for corporations to make billions.

Certainly we can't impose any conditions on them.

Do you tell God what to do?

I can buy any newspaper I want. Or none of them.

Yes you can.

However, unlike a newspaper, a proivider simply offers you access to information....it does not actually write or develop the information....so if a carrier decided to only allow you access to what IT deems appropriate, how would you know? Unlike a newspaper, where you can compare the newspaper with others you can buy, you can not simply use mnore than one internet carrier to compare.

When Fox threatened to dump MLB, what happened next?

Exactly. Internet isn't a right.

The only right in the Internet is for corporations to make billions.

Certainly we can't impose any conditions on them.

Do you tell God what to do?

Do you not believe in private property?

Yes, but when asked directly he refuses to actually say it. He is what is known as a completely partisan uneducated relic who has no working knowledge of how the internet actually functions and the government is out to get him.

The government should tell corporations to carry all traffic, without discriminating.

If tomorrow Verizon, Time Warner and Comcast decided to shut down their networks, what would you do?

I have a question for you....exactly what reason would verizon ever have to NOT allow you access to a website?

Are you arguing that Verizon owns the land over which the cable runs? All of it?

I have a question for you....exactly what reason would verizon ever have to NOT allow you access to a website?

They have no reason. If they did it and their consumers rejected that, they'd go someplace else.

Society has no claim on private investment in networks.

The intellectual property of ISPs are not public goods.

Yes, but when asked directly he refuses to actually say it. He is what is known as a completely partisan uneducated relic who has no working knowledge of how the internet actually functions and the government is out to get him.

No...actually he seems to be more of a consitutionalist and whereas I disagree with him as it pertains to this, I see where he is coming from.

That is why I said earlier, and it was ignored....

The best way to implement such legislation and make it constitutional would be to insist on FULL disclosure by the internet provider if it opts to restrict certain sites.
Perhaps everytime the browser is opened, a dsiclaimer comes up saying that certain sites have been restricted by the provider and you will not have access to them. Not name the sites, but let the consumer know they are being restricted.

If you own a computer network, why should government tell you what to do with it?

You keep asking the same questions that we keep answering.

The government already does the same thing for other information sources like TV and Newspapers.

If you keep repeating this same question, you must have no understanding of consumer protections or the commerce clause of the Consti-freakin-tution for that matter. You're a Conservative? learn what interstate commerce is and how it can be regulated by the government. (that was broadened by a Conservative SCOTUS, btw)

You're one of those whack-jobs arent you. you want no consumer protections. you want no executive agencies like the FDA or the EPA. you want to live in a hobbesian savage land where the little man gets fucked...and survival of the fittest happens, if at a devastatingly cutthroat way.

You wont even respond to reasoned comments...you just keep throwing this knee-jerk, anti-governement control bs at the debate.

How retarded.

They have no reason. If they did it and their consumers rejected that, they'd go someplace else.

Society has no claim on private investment in networks.

The intellectual property of ISPs are not public goods.

I understand and agree. However, how would their consumers know?

Only government censors, by definition.

thats a stupid argument. the government isnt trying censor the internet withe net neutrality bill. they are simply saying that ISP's cant treat traffic differently. there is nothing about them giving it away for free. it is simply trying to keep the flow of information free from restrictions. how can anyone possibly be against this?

Forum List

Back