Republicans Create Rider To Stop Net Neutrality

Can you commit vehicular homicide with a computer network?

nope but you can commit white collar crime and steal from banks, steal someones identity, shut down transportation grids, commit corporate espionage and a slew of other crimes through the internet.

let have no laws against that either

Aren't there already laws against that?

Is it a crime to sell access to your computer network as you wish?

is it a crime to limit free speech?

If you don't like information you get from one corporation who sells internet access, you can buy it from another.

That's freedom.

The only thing "fettering" the internet right now are governments.

see this is a mindless, knee-jerk reaction by someone anti-government. I get it. You dont want big government...you're against big brother/big liberal control of free enterprise.

What you're not getting is the fact that YOU WONT HAVE choice. There wont be a viable option to switch to that doesnt do it once you open the floodgates.

What would be really funny is if they destroy net neutrality...and people clamor for a government option ISP that doesn't restrict anything. That'll be your one choice. You'll have to pay the government for your net access. That'd serve you right.

Your position also neglects the realities of life. in some areas...there's only one internet provider. especially in rural areas. There won't BE choice. You'll just have to suffer.

My choices are:

Comcast Cable - super-fast internet, decent TV, very expensive, and multiple outages.

Century Link DSL (which was Embarq, which was Sprint, which was Centel) - slow high-speed internet, not as expensive, not as many outages.

That's it.

You can get an air card, and a router, from most wireless providers whose networks are as good as DSL.

nope but you can commit white collar crime and steal from banks, steal someones identity, shut down transportation grids, commit corporate espionage and a slew of other crimes through the internet.

let have no laws against that either

You're not free to come in to my house and call me anything you want.

i can stand outside and do the same things. its still free speech right? i can post up with signs calling you an idiot and moron, thats still free speech right?

see this is a mindless, knee-jerk reaction by someone anti-government. I get it. You dont want big government...you're against big brother/big liberal control of free enterprise.

What you're not getting is the fact that YOU WONT HAVE choice. There wont be a viable option to switch to that doesnt do it once you open the floodgates.

What would be really funny is if they destroy net neutrality...and people clamor for a government option ISP that doesn't restrict anything. That'll be your one choice. You'll have to pay the government for your net access. That'd serve you right.

Your position also neglects the realities of life. in some areas...there's only one internet provider. especially in rural areas. There won't BE choice. You'll just have to suffer.

My choices are:

Comcast Cable - super-fast internet, decent TV, very expensive, and multiple outages.

Century Link DSL (which was Embarq, which was Sprint, which was Centel) - slow high-speed internet, not as expensive, not as many outages.

That's it.

You can get an air card, and a router, from most wireless providers whose networks are as good as DSL.

if youre stupid enough to think an air card and fiber optic line generate the same speeds you really are one of the dumbest posters on this site.

i can stand outside and do the same things. its still free speech right? i can post up with signs calling you an idiot and moron, thats still free speech right?

Your speech is free. I'm not obligated to sell you bandwith on my private network for any price you are willing to pay so you can speek freely.

the NAZI didnt take power till well after WWI
Methinks he was referring to the greater sociopolitical trends leading up to the extermination camps.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Darwin-Hitler-Evolutionary-Eugenics-Germany/dp/1403965021]Amazon.com: From Darwin to Hitler: Evolutionary Ethics, Eugenics, and Racism in Germany (9781403965028): Richard Weikart: Books[/ame]
stop trying to give him an out he doesnt deserve

Let me save myself then, shall I?

I should have typed "extermination camp", not "concentration camp". Dachau, unlike Auchzwitz, etc. was a "concentration camp" but not an "extermination camp".

My bad. I used an incorrect term. Point still stands though, as it really had nothing to do with that:

Correlations certainly do exist between Nazi propaganda disseminators and modern propagandists.

Why are we continuing to "debate" this guy. He's offering nothing new to the discussion...and he's clearly wrong.

He obviously wants us to revert to a time when there was no government (stone ages?) and no governmental protections.

But he's not really saying much new, is he?

I can buy any newspaper I want. Or none of them.

Yes you can.

However, unlike a newspaper, a proivider simply offers you access to information....it does not actually write or develop the information....so if a carrier decided to only allow you access to what IT deems appropriate, how would you know? Unlike a newspaper, where you can compare the newspaper with others you can buy, you can not simply use mnore than one internet carrier to compare.

In other words, corporate control of the internet is the cop telling you you can't use that street to get to the newspaper stand a block away. He's telling you that you need to drive a 10 mile detour to get that newspaper, and you have to take the bus to get there (change providers). The newspaper is still there, providing information, but you can't get there from here.

Why are we continuing to "debate" this guy. He's offering nothing new to the discussion...and he's clearly wrong.

He obviously wants us to revert to a time when there was no government (stone ages?) and no governmental protections.

But he's not really saying much new, is he?

Bingo, you can tell by his one line responses that his level of knowledge of this, or any topic, is extremely limited.

My choices are:

That's it.

My choices are:

That's it.

if youre stupid enough to think an air card and fiber optic line generate the same speeds you really are one of the dumbest posters on this site.

I said DSL.

Why should you be entitled to the best internet service anywhere just because you choose to live where you do?

Your speech is free. I'm not obligated to sell you bandwith on my private network for any price you are willing to pay so you can speek freely.

actually since the government gave you a public monopoly the normal rules of business do not apply to you. internet providers have protected territories by law. if this were truly a free market then you might have some actual standing. so if you want to censor the internet, you need to be backing that any and all can now compete against natural monopolies, to drive down prices an add more competition.

lets limit who you can call on your phones. if the corporation doesnt like you taking to a certain person, lets let them cut you off. same with TV. if youre cable provider doesnt like that you watch NBC, or ABC, then lets let them cut off those stations as well. what about your electricity provider. then dont like that you use too much energy, so they can cut you off as well. we can do the same thing for water, sewer, gas. there, i just too away all of the infrastructure that you use at your home because me the corporation didnt like you.

i think thats perfectly fair.....

I can buy any newspaper I want. Or none of them.

Yes you can.

However, unlike a newspaper, a proivider simply offers you access to information....it does not actually write or develop the information....so if a carrier decided to only allow you access to what IT deems appropriate, how would you know? Unlike a newspaper, where you can compare the newspaper with others you can buy, you can not simply use mnore than one internet carrier to compare.

In other words, corporate control of the internet is the cop telling you you can't use that street to get to the newspaper stand a block away. He's telling you that you need to drive a 10 mile detour to get that newspaper, and you have to take the bus to get there (change providers). The newspaper is still there, providing information, but you can't get there from here.

Which corporation controls the internet?

Forum List

Back