Republicans Create Rider To Stop Net Neutrality

i can stand outside and do the same things. its still free speech right? i can post up with signs calling you an idiot and moron, thats still free speech right?

Your speech is free. I'm not obligated to sell you bandwith on my private network for any price you are willing to pay so you can speek freely.

actually since the government gave you a public monopoly the normal rules of business do not apply to you. internet providers have protected territories by law. if this were truly a free market then you might have some actual standing. so if you want to censor the internet, you need to be backing that any and all can now compete against natural monopolies, to drive down prices an add more competition.

lets limit who you can call on your phones. if the corporation doesnt like you taking to a certain person, lets let them cut you off. same with TV. if youre cable provider doesnt like that you watch NBC, or ABC, then lets let them cut off those stations as well. what about your electricity provider. then dont like that you use too much energy, so they can cut you off as well. we can do the same thing for water, sewer, gas. there, i just too away all of the infrastructure that you use at your home because me the corporation didnt like you.

i think thats perfectly fair.....

It's not a monopoly. Anyone who pays a franchising fee can wire a network in most communities.

My choices are:

Comcast Cable - super-fast internet, decent TV, very expensive, and multiple outages.

Century Link DSL (which was Embarq, which was Sprint, which was Centel) - slow high-speed internet, not as expensive, not as many outages.

That's it.

You can get an air card, and a router, from most wireless providers whose networks are as good as DSL.

You can get an air card, and a router, from most wireless providers whose networks are as good as DSL.

if youre stupid enough to think an air card and fiber optic line generate the same speeds you really are one of the dumbest posters on this site.

I said DSL.

Why should you be entitled to the best internet service anywhere just because you choose to live where you do?

why shouldnt you have access?

and you also probably dont even know what DSL stands for. or why fiber line are more efficient.

Last edited:
I can buy any newspaper I want. Or none of them.

Yes you can.

However, unlike a newspaper, a proivider simply offers you access to information....it does not actually write or develop the information....so if a carrier decided to only allow you access to what IT deems appropriate, how would you know? Unlike a newspaper, where you can compare the newspaper with others you can buy, you can not simply use mnore than one internet carrier to compare.

When Fox threatened to dump MLB, what happened next?
MLB has a huge audience. What if Verizon wants to dump revere.com, your little blog about big bad government? What would be your recourse?

if youre stupid enough to think an air card and fiber optic line generate the same speeds you really are one of the dumbest posters on this site.

I said DSL.

Why should you be entitled to the best internet service anywhere just because you choose to live where you do?

why shouldnt you have access?

and you also probably dont even know what DSL stands for.

Damned Slow Line.

Who should pay for your internet service if a private company won't invest in the infrastructure where you live?

Your speech is free. I'm not obligated to sell you bandwith on my private network for any price you are willing to pay so you can speek freely.

actually since the government gave you a public monopoly the normal rules of business do not apply to you. internet providers have protected territories by law. if this were truly a free market then you might have some actual standing. so if you want to censor the internet, you need to be backing that any and all can now compete against natural monopolies, to drive down prices an add more competition.

lets limit who you can call on your phones. if the corporation doesnt like you taking to a certain person, lets let them cut you off. same with TV. if youre cable provider doesnt like that you watch NBC, or ABC, then lets let them cut off those stations as well. what about your electricity provider. then dont like that you use too much energy, so they can cut you off as well. we can do the same thing for water, sewer, gas. there, i just too away all of the infrastructure that you use at your home because me the corporation didnt like you.

It's not a monopoly. Anyone who pays a franchising fee can wire a network in most communities.

prove it. where your link?

Yes you can.

However, unlike a newspaper, a proivider simply offers you access to information....it does not actually write or develop the information....so if a carrier decided to only allow you access to what IT deems appropriate, how would you know? Unlike a newspaper, where you can compare the newspaper with others you can buy, you can not simply use mnore than one internet carrier to compare.

When Fox threatened to dump MLB, what happened next?
MLB has a huge audience. What if Verizon wants to dump revere.com, your little blog about big bad government? What would be your recourse?

There are lots of networks. I'm not entitled to access to their network under my own terms.

I have a dozen choices for internet access. More than I could ask for.

I have a dozen choices for internet access. More than I could ask for.

name them. youll have one provider for phone (DSL) one provider for cable, and then the wireless companies (which coincidently are the same providers of phone service for you home)

Last edited:
Yes you can.

In other words, corporate control of the internet is the cop telling you you can't use that street to get to the newspaper stand a block away. He's telling you that you need to drive a 10 mile detour to get that newspaper, and you have to take the bus to get there (change providers). The newspaper is still there, providing information, but you can't get there from here.

Which corporation controls the internet?

Perhaps you'll never know. Or maybe you will...as they'll merge and merge and merge until one company controls the entire ISP market. And you'll have to go wherever they say you can go. It'll be too late then...but oh well...that's just property rights.

You've seen what's happened with banks, right? There's basically only a few major banks that dictate policy...and not always the same policy.

If you don't like information you get from one corporation who sells internet access, you can buy it from another.

That's freedom.

The only thing "fettering" the internet right now are governments.

That's freedom? It's the type of freedom the Mark Levin sells. It's fake. It doesn't exist. It's free in name only.

You are free to go buy 10 Ferrari cars tomorrow. Heck, we are all free to do that tomorrow. But somehow only a few of us can ACTUALLY do that. Why is that?

There are really 3 ways to access the internet: Cable, DSL and Wireless. Most of those are controlled by a few big players. The amount of money needed to deploy one of those network is huge. There really isn't much competition in this area. It's not like a grocery store at the corner of the street.

So spare me the "you are free to pick your provider" argument. It's a fake freedom. Just like I am free to buy 10 exotic sports car.

So what do you consider real freedom?

In other words, corporate control of the internet is the cop telling you you can't use that street to get to the newspaper stand a block away. He's telling you that you need to drive a 10 mile detour to get that newspaper, and you have to take the bus to get there (change providers). The newspaper is still there, providing information, but you can't get there from here.

Perhaps you'll never know. Or maybe you will...as they'll merge and merge and merge until one company controls the entire ISP market. And you'll have to go wherever they say you can go. It'll be too late then...but oh well...that's just property rights.

You've seen what's happened with banks, right? There's basically only a few major banks that dictate policy...and not always the same policy.

Banks were pushed over a cliff when they were forced to make bad loans by government.

Subprime loans.

Subprime internet access.

Can you commit vehicular homicide with a computer network?

nope but you can commit white collar crime and steal from banks, steal someones identity, shut down transportation grids, commit corporate espionage and a slew of other crimes through the internet.

let have no laws against that either

Aren't there already laws against that?

Is it a crime to sell access to your computer network as you wish?

Are you against those laws? More laws means more gummint, remember!

Not this topic, that is for sure.

It's all a question of shade of grays though.

So for example, I can buy the type of car I want. There is enough competition there to give me choice. Communication providers? Not so much.

I think it's all a case by case question.

nope but you can commit white collar crime and steal from banks, steal someones identity, shut down transportation grids, commit corporate espionage and a slew of other crimes through the internet.

let have no laws against that either

Aren't there already laws against that?

Is it a crime to sell access to your computer network as you wish?

Are you against those laws? More laws means more gummint, remember!

If the old laws work, why pass new ones?

Not this topic, that is for sure.

It's all a question of shade of grays though.

So for example, I can buy the type of car I want. There is enough competition there to give me choice. Communication providers? Not so much.

I think it's all a case by case question.

What is the "right number" of ISPs you should have a "right" to choose from?

i can stand outside and do the same things. its still free speech right? i can post up with signs calling you an idiot and moron, thats still free speech right?

Comcast is waiting for Fed approval to buy NBC/Universal. Should they be allowed to limit who can see Fox News? YES!!!!!!

er...I mean no. :eusa_whistle:

Yes you can.

They control access, just like the cop controls the access to the street.

Forum List

Back