Republicans More Proud To Be Americans Than Democrats Poll Says

Pride is an emotion that should be reserved for personal accomplishments,

Not for winning a birthing lotto.

Must we produce pictures to support the fact that China does it even more than we do?

chinese%20military%20parade.jpg

Hardly an unusual thing to do during what appears in the photo to be a national parade. Patriotic displays during a national celebration isn't the topic. But even if it was, so what? Is it a competition? Are we afraid that if we don't toot our own horn nobody else will? Some political science theories teach that such overt displays are conducted at public expense by repressive regimes to distract people from the true state of affairs. Or does only the "other side" do that?

So you think we should be ashamed of our country then?

Not bragging childishly about a country does not mean you are ashamed of it? Where does a person get such extremist thinking?

Patriotism is absurd. I do not believe in loving an arbitrarily defined political entity, especially one that operates on a monopoly upon the legitimate use of force.

When I was a child I was just as patriotic as can be. I thrilled to the sight of the American flag blowing in the breeze, the sound of the national anthem, and so on.

The War in Vietnam took that away from me. I never got it back. Appeals to American nationalism fill me with cold disgust.

I see the United States as a country that is run for the benefit of the rich with the support of a white proletariat that is too stupid and ignorant to understand that by opposing policies that would help blacks - like a single payer health plan, and a more progressive tax system - they are also opposing programs that would help them.

When I was a child I was just as patriotic as can be. I thrilled to the sight of the American flag blowing in the breeze, the sound of the national anthem, and so on.

The War in Vietnam took that away from me. I never got it back. Appeals to American nationalism fill me with cold disgust.

I see the United States as a country that is run for the benefit of the rich with the support of a white proletariat that is too stupid and ignorant to understand that by opposing policies that would help blacks - like a single payer health plan, and a more progressive tax system - they are also opposing programs that would help them.
leninsmile4pv.jpg

I'm a Republican and I'm damn proud to be an American!

Good for you. I am curious, though. Why are you proud to be an American, or should I say why are you proud to be an individual who lives in the territory of the United States of America? Why love an arbitrarily defined political entity whose authority stems from a monopoly upon the legitimate use of force? The desire to love something so authoritarian seems absurd, especially since that love in of itself often manifests from the efforts of the ultimate authoritarian institution, that being the state.

Last edited:

Good for you. I am curious, though. Why are you proud to be an American, or should I say why are you proud to be an individual who lives in the territory of the United States of America? Why love an arbitrarily defined political entity whose authority stems from a monopoly upon the legitimate use of force? The desire to love something so authoritarian seems absurd, especially since that love in of itself often manifests from the efforts of the ultimate authoritarian institution, that being the state.

Unlike most of the Americans here, I am an American by choice. I am a Canadian by birth and became an American citizen last year.

I love the United States. I'm proud to be an American because of the ideals for which this nation stands. There is no country in the world, or at least none that I am aware of - and I've lived in the UK and traveled extensively in Europe - where the people exude the confidence and optimism of Americans. Americans believe there is nothing they cannot do and there is no problem they cannot solve.

I still pick up my American passport and stare at it, disbelieving that I have the great honor of being a citizen of the United States of America.

Unlike most of the Americans here, I am an American by choice. I am a Canadian by birth and became an American citizen last year.

I love the United States. I'm proud to be an American because of the ideals for which this nation stands. There is no country in the world, or at least none that I am aware of - and I've lived in the UK and traveled extensively in Europe - where the people exude the confidence and optimism of Americans. Americans believe there is nothing they cannot do and there is no problem they cannot solve.

I still pick up my American passport and stare at it, disbelieving that I have the great honor of being a citizen of the United States of America.

I assume you are speaking to the ideals of individual liberty and freedom, democracy, and the idealistic American version of capitalism. Unfortunately, all of those ideals have been gradually curbed in the name of expediency and authoritarianism. The fact that most people who live in the USA exude such confidence in a faltering republic with strong democratic traditions does not speak well to the future of the country.

With that being said, I ask of you in the previous post something more philosophical. Why feel proud in an arbitrarily defined political entity whose authority stems from a monopoly upon the legitimate use of force?

Last edited:

I assume you are speaking to the ideals of individual liberty and freedom, democracy, and the idealistic American version of capitalism. Unfortunately, all of those ideals have been gradually curbed in the name of expediency and authoritarianism. The fact that most people who live in the USA exude such confidence in a faltering republic with strong democratic traditions does not speak well to the future of the country.

The future of this country is fantastic.

I'm a money manager by trade, and if you want to bet against me and America, feel free. But don't resent me when I take all your money.

The future of this country is fantastic.

I'm a money manager by trade, and if you want to bet against me and America, feel free. But don't resent me when I take all your money.

I do not bet against the future of the USA. Financially speaking, I am cheering on the current trajectory that the USA is following. The 'easy money' policies of the Fed are keeping my stock portfolio nice and dandy.

With that being said, I have no problem looking at the big picture of this country and knowing full and well that we are heading down a path of curbed individual liberty, freedom, and greater authoritarianism. As an individual who studies international relations and has an interest in long-term macro-global developments, I recognize the authoritarian trajectory of government worldwide. It is almost natural phenomenon to the ever-increasing wants and needs of an evolutionary human species. Realistically, I do not see this changing anytime soon, but idealistically, I will fight with my heart and soul to ensure that the trajectory of the USA, and the world, remains libertarian.

Last edited:

Congratulations, my friend. You truly understand what it means to be an American.

It's a shame that many who were born here are unable.

Hey, I know! Maybe if we kicked out one ungrateful bastard every time an immigrant is naturalized!

Congratulations, my friend. You truly understand what it means to be an American.

Hey, I know! Maybe if we kicked out one ungrateful bastard every time an immigrant is naturalized!

No need. This 'ungrateful bastard' may give up his US citizenship voluntarily in the near future.

Last edited:

No need. This 'ungrateful bastard' may give up his US citizenship voluntarily in the near future.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVrEwCa8nSA]"Well...................Bye." - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVrEwCa8nSA]"Well...................Bye." - YouTube[/ame]

Adiós, or should I say 'مع السلامة'. I guess saying good-bye in two languages of people some average Americans find reprehensible makes me twice the 'ungrateful bastard'.

Last edited:

Adios, or should I say 'مع السلامة'. I guess saying good-bye in two languages of people some average American finds reprehensible makes me twice the 'ungrateful bastard'.

If you're referring to me as the "average American", it makes you an ignorant bastard. You probably ought to read some of my posts before you dictate who I find reprehensible.

Or you could just let your own bigotry do the talking for you. It's easier, after all.

Adios, or should I say 'مع السلامة'. I guess saying good-bye in two languages of people some average American finds reprehensible makes me twice the 'ungrateful bastard'.

If you're referring to me as the "average American", it makes you an ignorant bastard. You probably ought to read some of my posts before you dictate who I find reprehensible.

Or you could just let your own bigotry do the talking for you. It's easier, after all.

I am not referring to you, nor am I referring to anyone else on these forums. I am simply poking fun at your general comment about kicking out an 'ungrateful bastard' for each immigrant naturalized.

On a serious note, I do not disagree with Toro. I understand full and what it means to be an American, as I grew up with the ideals of American Exceptionalism, individual liberty and freedom, and democracy. I even study these ideals on the post-secondary academic level, so my knowledge on the subject exceeds that of the average American (I kid. That is just me being a conceited ivory tower fellow. In reality I know no more about the ideals of the USA than any other individual.). I proudly boast a small American flag in my room, and will have an even bigger American flag in my dorm room. I unabashedly have the will to serve my country via the US Foreign Service, US Department of State, NSA, or CIA. I keep a copy of the Declaration of Independence, US Constitution, and Bill of Rights handy with me most of the time, and have the most seminal works on American ideals, like the Federalist, near my bed.

With that being said, I commend Toro for living up to the standard of being a true American. I wish him the best of luck in his efforts to make this country a better place for all. At the same time, I stand by my criticisms of the USA and of patriotism. I believe they show that I am not a blind supporter of the USA, but a logical, rational supporter of this country and its ideals.

Last edited:

I am not referring to you, nor am I referring to anyone else on these forums. I am simply poking fun at your general comment about kicking out an 'ungrateful bastard' for each immigrant naturalized.

On a serious note, I do not disagree with Toro. I understand full and what it means to be an American, as I grew up with the ideals of American Exceptionalism, individual liberty and freedom, and democracy. I even study these ideals on the post-secondary academic level, so my knowledge on the subject exceeds that of the average American (I kid. That is just me being a conceited ivory tower fellow. In reality I know no more about the ideals of the USA than any other individual.). I proudly boast a small American flag in my room, and will have an even bigger American flag in my dorm room. I unabashedly have the will to serve my country via the US Foreign Service, US Department of State, NSA, or CIA. I keep a copy of the Declaration of Independence, US Constitution, and Bill of Rights handy with me most of the time, and have the most seminal works on American ideals, like the Federalist, near my bed.

With that being said, I commend Toro for living up to the standard of being a true American. I wish him the best of luck in his efforts to make this country a better place for all. At the same time, I stand by my criticisms of the USA and of patriotism. I believe they show that I am not a blind supporter of the USA, but a logical, rational supporter of this country and its ideals.

:clap2: Well said. You've changed my opinion of you. You're okay -- I don't care what Toro says. :lol:

Seriously, though, since you have such a logical, rational support for this nation, why give up your citizenship? We need help making things better.

:clap2: Well said. You've changed my opinion of you. You're okay -- I don't care what Toro says. :lol:

Seriously, though, since you have such a logical, rational support for this nation, why give up your citizenship? We need help making things better.

I am of a global perspective. I would rather be a cosmopolite than a nationalist or statist. Identifying with a country is a bore.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back