Republicans More Proud To Be Americans Than Democrats Poll Says

I am not referring to you, nor am I referring to anyone else on these forums. I am simply poking fun at your general comment about kicking out an 'ungrateful bastard' for each immigrant naturalized.

On a serious note, I do not disagree with Toro. I understand full and what it means to be an American, as I grew up with the ideals of American Exceptionalism, individual liberty and freedom, and democracy. I even study these ideals on the post-secondary academic level, so my knowledge on the subject exceeds that of the average American (I kid. That is just me being a conceited ivory tower fellow. In reality I know no more about the ideals of the USA than any other individual.). I proudly boast a small American flag in my room, and will have an even bigger American flag in my dorm room. I unabashedly have the will to serve my country via the US Foreign Service, US Department of State, NSA, or CIA. I keep a copy of the Declaration of Independence, US Constitution, and Bill of Rights handy with me most of the time, and have the most seminal works on American ideals, like the Federalist, near my bed.

With that being said, I commend Toro for living up to the standard of being a true American. I wish him the best of luck in his efforts to make this country a better place for all. At the same time, I stand by my criticisms of the USA and of patriotism. I believe they show that I am not a blind supporter of the USA, but a logical, rational supporter of this country and its ideals.

:clap2: Well said. You've changed my opinion of you. You're okay -- I don't care what Toro says. :lol:

Seriously, though, since you have such a logical, rational support for this nation, why give up your citizenship? We need help making things better.

I am of a global perspective. I would rather be a cosmopolite than a nationalist or statist. Identifying with a country is a bore.
Okay. But if you're not going to help, don't complain.

:clap2: Well said. You've changed my opinion of you. You're okay -- I don't care what Toro says. :lol:

Seriously, though, since you have such a logical, rational support for this nation, why give up your citizenship? We need help making things better.

I am of a global perspective. I would rather be a cosmopolite than a nationalist or statist. Identifying with a country is a bore.

I walk the walk and talk the talk. I work for a non-governmental organization promoting grassroots participatory democracy and freer society across the United States and around the world. I also gear my paying employment opportunities to a variety of causes. My most recent one is combatting environmental degradation in my home state, New York. I have a major reason to be critical, not complain, but be critical of the United States, as it is the United States I am actively working to improve, both with respect to people here, and with respect to how we treat and view people elsewhere.

Last edited:

I walk the walk and talk the talk. I work for a non-governmental organization promoting grassroots participatory democracy and freer society across the United States and around the world. I also gear my paying employment opportunities to a variety of causes. My most recent one is combatting environmental degradation in my home state, New York. I have a major reason to be critical, not complain, but be critical of the United States, as it is the United States I am actively working to improve, both with respect to people here, and with respect to how we treat and view people elsewhere.
Good. Stay here and fight the good fight. Don't run away when it gets tough.

Even if I gave up my citizenship, I would not be running away. Rescinding citizenship would be more out of flexibility than out of animosity. I will always be working for the ideals on which the United States is founded, even if those ideals are altered to fit my vision of what I am working toward.

Even if I gave up my citizenship, I would not be running away. Rescinding citizenship would be more out of flexibility than out of animosity. I will always be working for the ideals on which the United States is founded, even if those ideals are altered to fit my vision of what I am working toward.
Once you give it up, there's no do-overs. It's forever.

Unlike most of the Americans here, I am an American by choice. I am a Canadian by birth and became an American citizen last year.

I love the United States. I'm proud to be an American because of the ideals for which this nation stands. There is no country in the world, or at least none that I am aware of - and I've lived in the UK and traveled extensively in Europe - where the people exude the confidence and optimism of Americans. Americans believe there is nothing they cannot do and there is no problem they cannot solve.

I still pick up my American passport and stare at it, disbelieving that I have the great honor of being a citizen of the United States of America.

I assume you are speaking to the ideals of individual liberty and freedom, democracy, and the idealistic American version of capitalism. Unfortunately, all of those ideals have been gradually curbed in the name of expediency and authoritarianism. The fact that most people who live in the USA exude such confidence in a faltering republic with strong democratic traditions does not speak well to the future of the country.

The future of this country is fantastic.

I'm a money manager by trade, and if you want to bet against me and America, feel free. But don't resent me when I take all your money.

It sounds like you (Toro) are abandoning the nation of your birth for money?

Forum List

Back