Republicans Will Filibuster Hagel Nomination; Vote Expected Friday

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
WASHINGTON — U.S. Senate Democratic leaders will have to thwart an unprecedented filibuster of Chuck Hagel’s nomination to become defense secretary.

Senate Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., on Wednesday afternoon filed a motion to end debate Friday after a day of efforts behind the scenes to schedule a vote.

“This is the first time in the history of the country that a presidential nominee for secretary of defense has been filibustered,” Reid said on the Senate floor. “What a shame. But that’s the way it is.”

Reid said Senate Armed Services Committee Ranking Member Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., and other Republicans set off the filibuster.

After what should be raucous floor debate on Hagel’s nomination, Democrats will need 60 votes to end debate on Friday. If five Republicans join the chamber’s 55 Democrats, the nomination will come up to a final vote.

Democratic leaders believe they can get 60 votes. The No. 3 Senate Democrat, Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, told Defense News on Tuesday he is “optimistic” Democratic leaders can attract enough Republicans to end the filibuster attempt

Republicans Will Filibuster Hagel Nomination; Vote Expected Friday | Defense News | defensenews.com

Home - No To Chuck

Chuck Hagel’s anti-Israel, pro-Iran mindset makes him uniquely unqualified to serve as our Defense Secretary.

makes him uniquely unqualified

and using a filibuster, not having enough votes on their own to prevent the nomination makes Republicans any less "unqualified" ?

WASHINGTON — U.S. Senate Democratic leaders will have to thwart an unprecedented filibuster of Chuck Hagel’s nomination to become defense secretary.

Senate Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., on Wednesday afternoon filed a motion to end debate Friday after a day of efforts behind the scenes to schedule a vote.

“This is the first time in the history of the country that a presidential nominee for secretary of defense has been filibustered,” Reid said on the Senate floor. “What a shame. But that’s the way it is.”

Reid said Senate Armed Services Committee Ranking Member Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., and other Republicans set off the filibuster.

After what should be raucous floor debate on Hagel’s nomination, Democrats will need 60 votes to end debate on Friday. If five Republicans join the chamber’s 55 Democrats, the nomination will come up to a final vote.

Democratic leaders believe they can get 60 votes. The No. 3 Senate Democrat, Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, told Defense News on Tuesday he is “optimistic” Democratic leaders can attract enough Republicans to end the filibuster attempt

Republicans Will Filibuster Hagel Nomination; Vote Expected Friday | Defense News | defensenews.com
I'm so relieved to hear this.

He's the wrong follower to lead the military.

Disgusting and un-American. Voters will remember all this obstruction nonsense in 2014.
No, a filibuster is an item of business as a last resort.

Obama is a spoiled baby and is doing the worst imaginable thing to America. I can't wait until the moving van picks him and his family up from 1600 PA avenue and takes them back to Chicago. He's divided this nation right down the middle, and you helped.

Disgusting and un-American. Voters will remember all this obstruction nonsense in 2014.
No, a filibuster is an item of business as a last resort.

Obama is a spoiled baby and is doing the worst imaginable thing to America. I can't wait until the moving van picks him and his family up from 1600 PA avenue and takes them back to Chicago. He's divided this nation right down the middle, and you helped.

The ole' divider claim. Where have I seen this before?

Attachments

• $books (1).jpg
    $books (1).jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 105

I'm so relieved to hear this.

He's the wrong follower to lead the military.

it's not over keep the pressure on....

STOP CHUCK HAGEL'S NOMINATION
AS SECRETARY OF DEFENSE

Home - No To Chuck

Personally I would let Obama have Hagel without any fight I think the guy is a buffoon so hang him around Obama's neck and let him deal with messes he seems almost sure to cause.

No it's about stopping that incompetent Hagel

How is Hagel "imcompetent"...? Because he's not a warmonger?

Do you watch the confirmation hearings... He's an embarrassment.

Yeah, I watched the confirmation hearings. Gave me even more respect for Hagel. Considering that presidential candidate McCain wanted Hagel for his Secretary of Defense - I found McCain's shenanigans during the hearings exceptionally childish.

How is Hagel "imcompetent"...? Because he's not a warmonger?

Do you watch the confirmation hearings... He's an embarrassment.

Yeah, I watched the confirmation hearings. Gave me even more respect for Hagel. Considering that presidential candidate McCain wanted Hagel for his Secretary of Defense - I found McCain's shenanigans during the hearings exceptionally childish.

Some people's standards are way too low and McCain is not the nominee

Forum List

Back