Republicans will not debate.

I read thru the 1st few pages and didn't see ANY discussion of WHY the RNC is concerned. Here's WHY they've negotiating with the CPD.

The RNC cited a number of concerns with the CPD. It highlighted the commission's selection of Steve Scully, who served as an intern to Joe Biden in college, to moderate one of the 2020 presidential debates. It said a majority of the commission's board members publicly disparaged the Republican presidential nominee. The RNC also criticized the nonprofit organization for hosting the first debate after early voting had already begun.

Republicans demanded a slew of changes in the letter, calling for term limits for the commission's board of directors, more transparent criteria for selecting debate moderators, and a stronger code of conduct for moderating debates. They also asked the CPD to commit to holding at least one debate before early voting takes place.

RNC officials have been meeting with CPD officials for months prior to Thursday's announcement. The party has long accused the debate commission of being unfair to its candidates. In 2012, debate moderator Candy Crowley took former President Barack Obama's side during an exchange about the 2012 Benghazi attack. Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican nominee, subsequently criticized Crowley for that.

That all seems completely reasonable to me. What problems do YOU have with the RNC pointing all this OBVIOUS shit out to them?

You think that selection Steve Scully who was a Biden intern to MODERATE a Biden debate is "fair and balanced"???

And your comment about ALL past Republican Presidents are "honorary members" of the commission -- Does that make them decision makers on ANY important particular debate details? Nope.

I hate the whole concept of CPD. It's just another duopoly battleground. One that SHOULD include ANY CANDIDATE that has qualified for 50 state ballot position. OR EVEN -- ENOUGHT states to win an electoral majority. It's RIPE for partisanship. Even the concept of having ANY past presidents, politicians or media hacks as honorary or titular members.

So one group of Trump supporters doesn't think there are enough republicans on the committee, the other group of Trump supporters doesn't think there should be any on the committee...and a third group is okay with there being no debates at all.

Because they realize that debating doesn't matter much. Most people vote based on emotions, so they just want to emotionally manipulate them.

Debating often becomes about how they look, how they said it etc, rather than actual policies.

It has mattered less and less. Still it would be great to hear unfiltered direct communication directly from the candidates themselves.

So one group of Trump supporters doesn't think there are enough republicans on the committee, the other group of Trump supporters doesn't think there should be any on the committee...and a third group is okay with there being no debates at all.
Obviously, I'm not a trump supporter, but I question whether there's anything positive about giving into Trump on any part of the debate format. If given the opportunity he will simply shout over anything that is contrary to his version of "facts" over which there can't be any debate. He's unlike any other candidate at least since the 19th century, so why treat him like a reasonable person?

Another step towards authoritarianism.
Well, Biden handed Trump his own ass in the debates, do you think the party of Trump wants to try that again? Hillary tried to treat a Trump debate like an actual debate. But a rational candidate just has to make his points, and call trump a liar on indisputable lies. The all LIE, but Trumpworld depends on alternative facts, e.g. the big lie

Obviously, I'm not a trump supporter, but I question whether there's anything positive about giving into Trump on any part of the debate format. If given the opportunity he will simply shout over anything that is contrary to his version of "facts" over which there can't be any debate. He's unlike any other candidate at least since the 19th century, so why treat him like a reasonable person?

I could write volumes on how I'd change the debate format.

The league of women voters ran it for a while. Then the CPD was formed to make sure only the two parties would be on the stage unless there is a true insurgency from a third party candidate. Running has gotten so expensive that you would almost need corporate sponsorship to garner enough interest to get on the debate stage.

The only purpose they truly serve is the ability of the candidates to speak directly, un filtered, to the American people. The GOP has lost 7 of the last 8 popular votes so their message isn't playing in Peoria (or Pennsylvania for that matter). Trump had the floor and all he had to do was denounce radical right wing hate groups. Instead he told a far right domestic terror group to "stand by". Its unclear why the GOP would think another candidate of theirs would shit the bed like that... But losing the last 7 of 8 clearly indicates that they have bigger problems than Trump.

R.N.C. Signals a Pullout From Presidential Debates

The GOP is insisting any presidential nominee not take part in a debate arranged by the CPD.

View attachment 587449

This doesn't mean "no debates", just advanced notice that President Trump isn't going to participate in a leftist led debate.

Trump realizes that he is why the viewers tune in, and he's not going to subsidize the broadcasting companies by doing it for free.

The networks are not only going to have to provide an equal platform, but also donate some the profits that Trump generates.

I could write volumes on how I'd change the debate format.

The league of women voters ran it for a while. Then the CPD was formed to make sure only the two parties would be on the stage unless there is a true insurgency from a third party candidate. Running has gotten so expensive that you would almost need corporate sponsorship to garner enough interest to get on the debate stage.

The only purpose they truly serve is the ability of the candidates to speak directly, un filtered, to the American people. The GOP has lost 7 of the last 8 popular votes so their message isn't playing in Peoria (or Pennsylvania for that matter). Trump had the floor and all he had to do was denounce radical right wing hate groups. Instead he told a far right domestic terror group to "stand by". Its unclear why the GOP would think another candidate of theirs would shit the bed like that... But losing the last 7 of 8 clearly indicates that they have bigger problems than Trump.
No one cares, dingbat. There will be no debates run by the CPD.

GOP finally made a smart move on this. Those debate Mods were awful.

Forum List

Back