Restaraunt gives discount for praying

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Idiots get offended.

The debate over officials praying in government meetings has raged in the past few years, but one restaurant claims to be supporting the religious rights of individuals, by offering a discount for praying in public. While many find the move a positive thing, others say it’s religious discrimination, and that the practice should be stopped.
An image that shows a receipt including a 15% discount for praying in public has been going viral since an Orland, Florida radio station posted it yesterday. Z88.3 shared the image on its Facebook page, saying,
A friend of ours just shared her receipt from lunch where she got a discount for praying in public!!! How cool is that?
When some people expressed doubt that anyone anywhere was getting a discount for praying in public, even calling the image photoshopped, they were directed to a North Carolina restaurant, Mary’s Gourmet Diner. On that restaurant’s Facebook page, the rumor was confirmed:
Yes, if we see you praying, you get 15% off your bill.
While this produced a spate of support, it also returned some anger, and accusations of discrimination. One poster asked,
Just a question, because it has come up in some comments sections. Would a Muslim still enjoy a discount for praying at your restaurant? As a Christian. I would hope you are respectful of all religions that worship.

Restaurant's 'Praying In Public' Discount Returns Praise, Ire; Religious Freedom Or Discrimination?

Religion haters are too stoopid and blinded with hate to just go in there and fake a fuckin' prayer for the discount!

Wow. I know this restaurant, very well. Used to be called "Breakfast Of Course". I stop in there literally every chance I get on the way to points east, because it's quite honestly one of the best breakfast places I've ever been to, anywhere -- and I do breakfast a lot. I know its address (723 Trade St.) by heart. And the grits... to die for. It's possible they actually make them better than I do -- and NOBODY does that.

This religious radio station that posted this story and those following it might be surprised at the staff and clientele there. If they run on stereotypes that is; artsy-hippie creative (read: "lefty") types.

Here's Mary, the proprietor and the main upper level hall (L) and the lower level (R):

557986_120555914788878_38421856_n.jpg
WSM-Downtown-Pioneers-040-blogsmall.jpg

These are the grits:

m8.png

Being in the former cigarette capital Winston Salem, they keep an old cigarette vending machine near the doorway, the kind with the pull handles. Except instead of selling cigarettes, it sells little boxes of local art for about 4-5 bucks. Really nice idea to do something positive with a former vehicle of deadly poison.

The Art-o-Mat (unstocked):

Art-O-Mat-mach-II.jpg

I never expected my favorite breakfast restaurant to show up on USMB. Thanks for posting it. Haven't been there in several weeks.

As they say there: "Mary's --- you've had worse things in your mouth"

Last edited:
Wow. I know this restaurant, very well. Used to be called "Breakfast Of Course". I stop in there literally every chance I get on the way to points east, because it's quite honestly one of the best breakfast places I've ever been to, anywhere -- and I do breakfast a lot. I know its address (723 Trade St.) by heart. And the grits... to die for. It's possible they actually make them better than I do -- and NOBODY does that.

This religious radio station that posted this story and those following it might be surprised at the staff and clientele there. If they run on stereotypes that is; artsy-hippie creative (read: "lefty") types.

Here's Mary, the proprietor and the main upper level hall (L) and the lower level (R):

These are the grits:

m8.png

Being in the former cigarette capital Winston Salem, they keep an old cigarette vending machine near the doorway, the kind with the pull handles. Except instead of selling cigarettes, it sells little boxes of local art for about 4-5 bucks. Really nice idea to do something positive with a former vehicle of deadly poison.

Art-O-Mat-mach-II.jpg

I never expected my favorite breakfast restaurant to show up on USMB. Thanks for posting it. Haven't been there in several weeks.

Be sure to pray next time you are there.

These are the grits:

m8.png

Art-O-Mat-mach-II.jpg

Be sure to pray next time you are there.

That must be a recently new thing. I've never seen any indication of such a discount, although the place isn't cheap. As long as they make it known it's available to everybody, it's cool. If they were doing an insider thing I could see where it would be a problem.

Guess everybody will know now though. I'll have to ask Mary what else she discounts for.

Last edited:
Will they give me a discount if I lay a prayer rug on the floor and bow to Mecca?

I'm sure they would. Those people are totally cool. They don't festoon the place with religious icons at all but they strike me more as Wiccans.

We could only hope that Varshandle would convert to Islam and move to Saudi. He'd probably get a discount on genital mutilation services and beheading.

If you are praying to receive a discount on your breakfast you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

If you are praying to receive a discount on your breakfast you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Thanks to this story, that's what will be happening from now on.

However --- I must be fair, I've been showing a distinct bias here...
The truth is, they serve lunch too.

How can praying be "done for the wrong reasons"?

Positive Prayer that is, wishing no one ill will.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Btw in spite of the OP and the linked article, there's no evidence of anyone complaining of "discrimination". Basically a hack writer trying to invent a negative.

Religious Freedom Or Discrimination?

Neither.

The issue doesn't exist outside the context of the relationship between a citizen and his government, where government alone has the capacity to discriminate with regard to religious freedom using the authority of the state.

In the context of the private sector, however, private persons objecting to other private persons praying in a public venue such as a restaurant does not constitute 'discrimination,' as religious persons remain at liberty to pray with impunity:

Like every provision of the Bill of Rights, the First Amendment applies only to the government. The free speech clause says that “Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech” (emphasis added). The text was properly understood only to restrain the U.S. Congress from prohibiting or punishing speech. Over the past century, courts have expanded the First Amendment to apply against state and local governments as well as the federal government,but never against a private company or individual.

The First Amendment won?t save you from your own bad judgment | Fox News

Consequently the premise of the thread is moot and a non-issue.

Forum List

Back