Restaraunt gives discount for praying

I have worked at food banks, and donate, all have been church organizations.

Careful you don't break your arm...

And you might want to start a new thread, because I don't recall anyone saying they gave a shit about your life story.

God encourages us to pray to Him in private if my Bible reading memory serves me, not to put your prayers on 'display' just for others to see and hear..., no?

Yes, but it is EASIER to sit & pray than actually follow the teachings of God, and give to the poor, injured, and helpless.

Great news for the small but enthusiastic Muslim community in NC! -- Or would prayers to Allah be excluded? :dunno:

Personally, I'd probably belt out some very loud satanic-sounding incantations, and then raise a stink over any religious discrimination that may ensue. :laugh:

Personally, I'd probably belt out some very loud satanic-sounding incantations, and then raise a stink over any religious discrimination that may ensue.

Hopefully, you'd be shown the "No Pissy Little Assholes Allowed" sign just before you were physically thrown out of the restaurant onto your ass in the middle of the street. You'd probably sit there crying "I'll sue! I'll sue!" until some locals came to pick you up, take you down the nearest alley, and have a chat with you about common sense and common decency.

Great news for the small but enthusiastic Muslim community in NC! -- Or would prayers to Allah be excluded? :dunno:

Personally, I'd probably belt out some very loud satanic-sounding incantations, and then raise a stink over any religious discrimination that may ensue. :laugh:

That is unfair to both the business, and those praying, or imitating prayer; you do not like the policy, do not patronize the restaurant.

God encourages us to pray to Him in private if my Bible reading memory serves me, not to put your prayers on 'display' just for others to see and hear..., no?

Ideally, yes.

But there are those who seek to use religion as a form of political speech and expression.

Indeed, overt acts of religious expression were once deemed necessary to demonstrate one's adherence to religious doctrine and dogma, and to ward off accusations of 'heresy.' Those who failed to engage in sufficient public displays of religious devotion were likely subject to punitive measures.

Today this manifest among many arrogant theists as a means to provoke conflict and contrive 'controversy,' with false, unwarranted claims of being 'discriminated against.'

I'd sure as hell pretend to pray for 15%.

When I was in basic training I pretended to have religion just to get a breakup of the routine by being allowed to go to the church for a couple hours on Sundays, I was the loudest amen person in there.

Ah, the liberal mindset...the first instinct is "how can I game this system".

Last edited:
...Hopefully, you'd be shown the "No Pissy Little Assholes Allowed" sign just before you were physically thrown out of the restaurant onto your ass in the middle of the street. You'd probably sit there crying "I'll sue! I'll sue!" until some locals came to pick you up, take you down the nearest alley, and have a chat with you about common sense and common decency.

What about the Muslim families, Unky? Would they warrant such a lesson too?

Silence is golden.

Handle it the way muslims do.

There's the display case. Pick out any cake you want.

Ideally, yes.

But there are those who seek to use religion as a form of political speech and expression.

Indeed, overt acts of religious expression were once deemed necessary to demonstrate one's adherence to religious doctrine and dogma, and to ward off accusations of 'heresy.' Those who failed to engage in sufficient public displays of religious devotion were likely subject to punitive measures.

Today this manifest among many arrogant theists as a means to provoke conflict and contrive 'controversy,' with false, unwarranted claims of being 'discriminated against.'

And again, in spite of the OP article and the OP's "idiots get offended" line, there's no evidence that anybody IS offended. Just more gadflies trying to stir up more shit. The website's using a misleading strawman title to draw page views. Posters just don't read their own links. Or as a wittier wag than I put it, "Gullible's Travels".

Idiots get offended.

The debate over officials praying in government meetings has raged in the past few years, but one restaurant claims to be supporting the religious rights of individuals, by offering a discount for praying in public. While many find the move a positive thing, others say it’s religious discrimination, and that the practice should be stopped.
An image that shows a receipt including a 15% discount for praying in public has been going viral since an Orland, Florida radio station posted it yesterday. Z88.3 shared the image on its Facebook page, saying,
A friend of ours just shared her receipt from lunch where she got a discount for praying in public!!! How cool is that?
When some people expressed doubt that anyone anywhere was getting a discount for praying in public, even calling the image photoshopped, they were directed to a North Carolina restaurant, Mary’s Gourmet Diner. On that restaurant’s Facebook page, the rumor was confirmed:
Yes, if we see you praying, you get 15% off your bill.
While this produced a spate of support, it also returned some anger, and accusations of discrimination. One poster asked,
Just a question, because it has come up in some comments sections. Would a Muslim still enjoy a discount for praying at your restaurant? As a Christian. I would hope you are respectful of all religions that worship.

Restaurant's 'Praying In Public' Discount Returns Praise, Ire; Religious Freedom Or Discrimination?

Great idea. And I'm pretty much atheist. Be interesting to see who's actually read the Bible where saying grace is mentioned. ;) You're supposed to say it AFTER, not before :)

10 When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you. 11 Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. 12 Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, 13 and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, 14 then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
- Deuteronomy 8

Idiots get offended.

The debate over officials praying in government meetings has raged in the past few years, but one restaurant claims to be supporting the religious rights of individuals, by offering a discount for praying in public. While many find the move a positive thing, others say it’s religious discrimination, and that the practice should be stopped.
An image that shows a receipt including a 15% discount for praying in public has been going viral since an Orland, Florida radio station posted it yesterday. Z88.3 shared the image on its Facebook page, saying,
A friend of ours just shared her receipt from lunch where she got a discount for praying in public!!! How cool is that?
When some people expressed doubt that anyone anywhere was getting a discount for praying in public, even calling the image photoshopped, they were directed to a North Carolina restaurant, Mary’s Gourmet Diner. On that restaurant’s Facebook page, the rumor was confirmed:
Yes, if we see you praying, you get 15% off your bill.
While this produced a spate of support, it also returned some anger, and accusations of discrimination. One poster asked,
Just a question, because it has come up in some comments sections. Would a Muslim still enjoy a discount for praying at your restaurant? As a Christian. I would hope you are respectful of all religions that worship.

Restaurant's 'Praying In Public' Discount Returns Praise, Ire; Religious Freedom Or Discrimination?

Great idea. And I'm pretty much atheist. Be interesting to see who's actually read the Bible where saying grace is mentioned. ;) You're supposed to say it AFTER, not before :)

Damn. And all this time I've been leaving tips for the waitresses. :banghead:

I'll be sure to clarify next time -- "that's for the Lord -- not you".

Ideally, yes.

And again, in spite of the OP article and the OP's "idiots get offended" line, there's no evidence that anybody IS offended. Just more gadflies trying to stir up more shit. The website's using a misleading strawman title to draw page views. Posters just don't read their own links. Or as a wittier wag than I put it, "Gullible's Travels".

Two threads on this, the business is getting publicity from the looks of it, two different posters saw articles on this. And some mean, nasty posts about the PR move, from both thos who admire this & those that do not.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back