Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

You know you could just get illegal Mexicans to do it, if you want it cheap. Then there'd be lots more food places. But for some reason you have a problem with Mexicans working illegally, but you don't have a problem with Americans working for too little money. Hmmm.

Boot 10 million illegal aliens, low skill Americans would earn more.
You new to our New World economy?

America has near record 5.8 million job openings

You need New World excuses not Old World excuses.

Not the problem, the jobs are out there, but the pay is low and they are part time or seasonal. So you have just admitted that illegal aliens work, good for you, and they pay tax,

Mexicans are not coming here anymore for work. They also hire HB1 visas and lay off 50 year olds, to let the Indians who are young and healthy take their jobs. No one has job security. You give you loyalty to a company for 20 years and they don't want to give you the pay raises or retirement, and you are just too old. Not all companies do this but many.

I so doubt that this is due to the wage increase

That's because you're ignorant and stupid and couldn't derive a profit from a lemonade stand.

I never had one. In my youth I use to babysit, sell night crawlers, cleaned neighbors house, sold bullheads and turtles, which I caught.

Can you tell, why aren't you still doing those jobs?
I moved on to container gardening.

Restaurants rarely go out of business because of price. If the food is good, people will go there to eat. Restaurants fail all the time. Price of food is at the very bottom of the list of reasons of failure.

Asking business owners to pay people a livable wage isn't unreasonable. If a business owner cannot afford to pay people a livable wage, then perhaps they shouldn't be running a business.
Again with the livable qualifier. I had low paying jobs but lived within my means. I'm still here so I obviously lived. Nobody owes you a living. Want more pay? Work your way up or get a better job.

No one can live on a $8 an hour without getting a second job or receiving government assistance.

You know what, fine. Keep the current minium wage but conservatives shouldn't whine about people receiving government subsidies like section 8, food stamps and medicade.

Either increase the minium wage or give people subsidies.
You can't bully me into accepting your world view. You believe people are owed a lifestyle. I don't. Like I said I lived on dirt wages so I know what I'm talking about, you don't.

If you work you should be able to make a living and not live like a rat.
I just said I lived through it and didn't say I lived like a rat. Everything is warped in your twisted mind. If you are only worth a dollar and hour that's all I'm willing to pay.

Well, all hookers would say they're worth every penny. However, some are asking more and some less for doing pretty much the same job. I'd like to know how they set their prices. :D

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, That folks is the uninformed, ignorant liberal brain in all it's scary glory. You listen Penelope and you listen tight. There is huge risk in investing your money in a business, especially a restaurant. When you invest, you balance risk and reward. Higher risk should garner higher return, safe and secure investments today will get you 2%. Nobody, not even an imbecile like you, would take a 2, 5 or even 10% return on an investment in opening and operating a restaurant. Why? Because something like being forced to pay higher wages could kill your margin. If you own a small diner style restaurant open from 6 AM to 10 PM Which averages 5 hourly employees for those 16 hours, and you raise the cost $2 per hour per employee, you have just reduced the NET INCOME of that diner owner by over $50k per year, and that doesn't even account for the increase in payroll taxes. Could you pay your mortgage if you suddenly made $4000 less per month?

Why worker doesn't do it? It's not like worker is held on gun point and forced to work.
Try to quit and collect unemployment in any at-will employment State in our Union.

Why not jail employers who don't hire everybody that applies, in right to work States.

You never could quit a job and collect unemployment. You have to be laid off.
Why is that? Employment is supposed to be, at-will. Why the "red tape restriction" on at-will employment Only for Labor.

Employment is supposed to be, at-will.

But not forced.
Why should an employer have to hire a useless stoner like you who can't even pass the drug screening?
Because, employment is "forced" if I can't quit on an at-will basis and collect unemployment compensation. Equality, right wingers.

Because, employment is "forced"

Not for over 150 years.

if I can't quit on an at-will basis and collect unemployment compensation.

Boohoo.

Equality, right wingers.

Laziness, left wingers.

Move Up or Out, slackers.

Yup, move them illegals out.
they are trying to "move up", over here. only the right wing is for, "lack of opportunity".

they are trying to "move up", over here.

And now it's time they moved back home.

Try to quit and collect unemployment in any at-will employment State in our Union.

Why not jail employers who don't hire everybody that applies, in right to work States.

Why is that? Employment is supposed to be, at-will. Why the "red tape restriction" on at-will employment Only for Labor.

But not forced.
Why should an employer have to hire a useless stoner like you who can't even pass the drug screening?
Because, employment is "forced" if I can't quit on an at-will basis and collect unemployment compensation. Equality, right wingers.

Not for over 150 years.

Boohoo.

Equality, right wingers.

Laziness, left wingers.
That "contract was made under duress".

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

You know you could just get illegal Mexicans to do it, if you want it cheap. Then there'd be lots more food places. But for some reason you have a problem with Mexicans working illegally, but you don't have a problem with Americans working for too little money. Hmmm.

Not the problem, the jobs are out there, but the pay is low and they are part time or seasonal. So you have just admitted that illegal aliens work, good for you, and they pay tax,

Mexicans are not coming here anymore for work. They also hire HB1 visas and lay off 50 year olds, to let the Indians who are young and healthy take their jobs. No one has job security. You give you loyalty to a company for 20 years and they don't want to give you the pay raises or retirement, and you are just too old. Not all companies do this but many.

Not the problem,

All those illegals competing for the same jobs sure isn't the solution for low skilled Americans.

So you have just admitted that illegal aliens work, good for you,

And now they need to go back home and work there.

Restaurants rarely go out of business because of price. If the food is good, people will go there to eat. Restaurants fail all the time. Price of food is at the very bottom of the list of reasons of failure.

Asking business owners to pay people a livable wage isn't unreasonable. If a business owner cannot afford to pay people a livable wage, then perhaps they shouldn't be running a business.
Again with the livable qualifier. I had low paying jobs but lived within my means. I'm still here so I obviously lived. Nobody owes you a living. Want more pay? Work your way up or get a better job.

No one can live on a $8 an hour without getting a second job or receiving government assistance.

You know what, fine. Keep the current minium wage but conservatives shouldn't whine about people receiving government subsidies like section 8, food stamps and medicade.

You can't bully me into accepting your world view. You believe people are owed a lifestyle. I don't. Like I said I lived on dirt wages so I know what I'm talking about, you don't.

Very few places you can live on 7.25 anymore, esp since they are mainly part time jobs or if fulltime they do not pay bennies. At 15,080 a year for full time at 7.25 you do not qualify for the ACA and get no insurance in states that have not expanded Medicaid. That this the crack. Why would anyone work? Some companies do not have to pay share health insurance, like that Fantastic Sams employer lady who owns 4 franchises and is so upset with the ACA as she can't hire more people, what a loser and Bernie told her that.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

And another thing stupid, do you consider the cost on the menu when you order food? You cant just raise prices and not expect it to have ramifications on the number of customers choosing to eat at your restaurant.

But not forced.

Not for over 150 years.

Boohoo.

Equality, right wingers.

Laziness, left wingers.
That "contract was made under duress".

Duress? You poor girl.

And another thing stupid, do you consider the cost on the menu when you order food? You cant just raise prices and not expect it to have ramifications on the number of customers choosing to eat at your restaurant.

Really we seldom eat out anymore, but every time we do the restaurants are busy as can be.

Really we seldom eat out anymore, but every time we do the restaurants are busy as can be.

You must be a gorgeous woman who married a successful man. I guarantee nobody would hook up with you for your brain, just plain stupid.

You must be a gorgeous woman who married a successful man. I guarantee nobody would hook up with you for your brain, just plain stupid.

Thank you , but I actually have made more money that he at times. He did marry me for my looks , body and brains, in that order and vice versa. We were attracted first and then realized we were both brains.

Very few places you can live on 7.25 anymore, esp since they are mainly part time jobs or if fulltime they do not pay bennies. At 15,080 a year for full time at 7.25 you do not qualify for the ACA and get no insurance in states that have not expanded Medicaid. That this the crack. Why would anyone work? Some companies do not have to pay share health insurance, like that Fantastic Sams employer lady who owns 4 franchises and is so upset with the ACA as she can't hire more people, what a loser and Bernie told her that.

Very few people live on minimum wage. Most MW earners are part timers under the age of 30. They are less than 3% of the salaried work force. Why don't you learn something before posting, it might help you from looking like such a retard.

Who makes minimum wage?
People at or below the federal minimum are:

• Disproportionately young: 50.4% are ages 16 to 24; 24% are teenagers (ages 16 to 19).
  • Mostly (77%) white; nearly half are white women.
  • Largely part-time workers (64% of the total).

Not the problem,

All those illegals competing for the same jobs sure isn't the solution for low skilled Americans.

So you have just admitted that illegal aliens work, good for you,

And now they need to go back home and work there.

Just goes to show that the minimum wage increase needs to be on a national scale.

Yep, and needs to be set to zero.
Why zero?
The right wing likes for the poor to have to work harder for less, in our first world economy.
Could you explain the reasoning that you used to come to that ridiculous conclusion?
Y'all advocate for ending the statutory minimum wage not the statutory drug war.

Forum List

Back