Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

And another thing stupid, do you consider the cost on the menu when you order food? You cant just raise prices and not expect it to have ramifications on the number of customers choosing to eat at your restaurant.

Really we seldom eat out anymore, but every time we do the restaurants are busy as can be.

You must be a gorgeous woman who married a successful man. I guarantee nobody would hook up with you for your brain, just plain stupid.

Thank you , but I actually have made more money that he at times. He did marry me for my looks , body and brains, in that order and vice versa. We were attracted first and then realized we were both brains.

You're not smart. No way, no how. You certainly have never owned and operated a successful business.

Why is that? Employment is supposed to be, at-will. Why the "red tape restriction" on at-will employment Only for Labor.

Employment is supposed to be, at-will.

But not forced.
Why should an employer have to hire a useless stoner like you who can't even pass the drug screening?
Because, employment is "forced" if I can't quit on an at-will basis and collect unemployment compensation. Equality, right wingers.

Because, employment is "forced"

Not for over 150 years.

if I can't quit on an at-will basis and collect unemployment compensation.

Boohoo.

Equality, right wingers.

Laziness, left wingers.
That "contract was made under duress".

Duress? You poor girl.
Just a "damsel boy in distress"? Equality, huh.

I prefer to advocate for equal protection and faithful execution of the law, simply for the sake of public morals.

Restaurants rarely go out of business because of price. If the food is good, people will go there to eat. Restaurants fail all the time. Price of food is at the very bottom of the list of reasons of failure.

Asking business owners to pay people a livable wage isn't unreasonable. If a business owner cannot afford to pay people a livable wage, then perhaps they shouldn't be running a business.
Again with the livable qualifier. I had low paying jobs but lived within my means. I'm still here so I obviously lived. Nobody owes you a living. Want more pay? Work your way up or get a better job.

No one can live on a $8 an hour without getting a second job or receiving government assistance.

You know what, fine. Keep the current minium wage but conservatives shouldn't whine about people receiving government subsidies like section 8, food stamps and medicade.

Either increase the minium wage or give people subsidies.
You can't bully me into accepting your world view. You believe people are owed a lifestyle. I don't. Like I said I lived on dirt wages so I know what I'm talking about, you don't.

Very few places you can live on 7.25 anymore, esp since they are mainly part time jobs or if fulltime they do not pay bennies. At 15,080 a year for full time at 7.25 you do not qualify for the ACA and get no insurance in states that have not expanded Medicaid. That this the crack. Why would anyone work? Some companies do not have to pay share health insurance, like that Fantastic Sams employer lady who owns 4 franchises and is so upset with the ACA as she can't hire more people, what a loser and Bernie told her that.

Very few people live on minimum wage. Most MW earners are part timers under the age of 30. They are less than 3% of the salaried work force. Why don't you learn something before posting, it might help you from looking like such a retard.

Who makes minimum wage?
People at or below the federal minimum are:

• Disproportionately young: 50.4% are ages 16 to 24; 24% are teenagers (ages 16 to 19).
  • Mostly (77%) white; nearly half are white women.
  • Largely part-time workers (64% of the total).

That is the reason min wage has to be increased. Thank you, a 2014 art. but still. Also the Pubs have changed most of that for salary employees esp.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, last year 1.532 million hourly workers earned the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour; nearly 1.8 million more earned less than that because they fell under one of several exemptions (tipped employees, full-time students, certain disabled workers and others), for a total of 3.3 million hourly workers at or below the federal minimum.

Restaurants rarely go out of business because of price. If the food is good, people will go there to eat. Restaurants fail all the time. Price of food is at the very bottom of the list of reasons of failure.

Asking business owners to pay people a livable wage isn't unreasonable. If a business owner cannot afford to pay people a livable wage, then perhaps they shouldn't be running a business.
Again with the livable qualifier. I had low paying jobs but lived within my means. I'm still here so I obviously lived. Nobody owes you a living. Want more pay? Work your way up or get a better job.

No one can live on a $8 an hour without getting a second job or receiving government assistance.

You know what, fine. Keep the current minium wage but conservatives shouldn't whine about people receiving government subsidies like section 8, food stamps and medicade.

You can't bully me into accepting your world view. You believe people are owed a lifestyle. I don't. Like I said I lived on dirt wages so I know what I'm talking about, you don't.

Very few places you can live on 7.25 anymore, esp since they are mainly part time jobs or if fulltime they do not pay bennies. At 15,080 a year for full time at 7.25 you do not qualify for the ACA and get no insurance in states that have not expanded Medicaid. That this the crack. Why would anyone work? Some companies do not have to pay share health insurance, like that Fantastic Sams employer lady who owns 4 franchises and is so upset with the ACA as she can't hire more people, what a loser and Bernie told her that.

Very few people live on minimum wage. Most MW earners are part timers under the age of 30. They are less than 3% of the salaried work force. Why don't you learn something before posting, it might help you from looking like such a retard.

Who makes minimum wage?

• Disproportionately young: 50.4% are ages 16 to 24; 24% are teenagers (ages 16 to 19).
Social services cost around fourteen dollars an hour, regardless.

Let me just add another example. When I order Papa Johns, I have to pay $10.99 for a cheese pizza, pay the owner's sales tax for him, pay a $3.69 delivery fee, and then tip the driver on top of it (paying the employee's wage for the owner).

$10.99 (pizza) + 0.91 (tax) + $3.69 (delivery fee) + $5.00 (tip) = $20.59 for one fucking pizza. But damn, that pizza shop owner must be poor!!

Make your own damn pizza and save money! You are not forced to buy from restaurants.

Who makes minimum wage?

That is the reason min wage has to be increased. Thank you, a 2014 art. but still. Also the Pubs have changed most of that for salary employees esp.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, last year 1.532 million hourly workers earned the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour; nearly 1.8 million more earned less than that because they fell under one of several exemptions (tipped employees, full-time students, certain disabled workers and others), for a total of 3.3 million hourly workers at or below the federal minimum.
Tipped employees may have "greater standing to care" about how, and how much, their employer makes.

Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

You know you could just get illegal Mexicans to do it, if you want it cheap. Then there'd be lots more food places. But for some reason you have a problem with Mexicans working illegally, but you don't have a problem with Americans working for too little money. Hmmm.

Boot 10 million illegal aliens, low skill Americans would earn more.

Yes, they would, and then you'd have to pay more too... you see how that works.

The deal here is that Republicans are complaining about low paid workers earning too much, then they'll turn around and demand that Mexicans get kicked out so people earn even more. Does that not confuse you?

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.
I use to live in California many many years ago and back then the cost of living was outrageous....I can only imagine what its like now. 15 an hour at best is nothing compared to what it cost to rent and live out there...and I don't believe this shit about resturants failing because of it...there are too many illegals that they hire to offset anyone refusing to pay a decent wage...that is fact...go to any top notch eatery or hotel, nothing but illegals....in short, customers determine the success of any industry in hospitality and if you have good food, good surroundings, they will come, regardless of what people are being paid. I have no sympathy for business owners unable to keep up, sell hot dogs on the corner.

They are going out of business, how much more of a hit do they need to take?
That Only happens to lousy capitalists. Henry Ford doubled autoworker wages, not minimum wages, because he had a plan to achieve gains from efficiency; unlike the right wing.

You know you could just get illegal Mexicans to do it, if you want it cheap. Then there'd be lots more food places. But for some reason you have a problem with Mexicans working illegally, but you don't have a problem with Americans working for too little money. Hmmm.

You new to our New World economy?

America has near record 5.8 million job openings

You need New World excuses not Old World excuses.

Not the problem, the jobs are out there, but the pay is low and they are part time or seasonal. So you have just admitted that illegal aliens work, good for you, and they pay tax,

Mexicans are not coming here anymore for work. They also hire HB1 visas and lay off 50 year olds, to let the Indians who are young and healthy take their jobs. No one has job security. You give you loyalty to a company for 20 years and they don't want to give you the pay raises or retirement, and you are just too old. Not all companies do this but many.

Not the problem,

All those illegals competing for the same jobs sure isn't the solution for low skilled Americans.

So you have just admitted that illegal aliens work, good for you,

And now they need to go back home and work there.

Except the US is intent on making sure there aren't any jobs for them there.

That Only happens to lousy capitalists. Henry Ford doubled autoworker wages, not minimum wages, because he had a plan to achieve gains from efficiency; unlike the right wing.
We discussed that yesterday. You know what, you're just some stupid punk kid that has no value. I'm filtering your wasteful posts out.

We discussed that yesterday. You know what, you're just some stupid punk kid that has no value. I'm filtering your wasteful posts out.
That is mere, nonsense, not fullsense. Too much of a "hard work ethic" for you, right wingers.

Poor dumb asses like you might...

Again answer my question child do you know what the profit margins for fast food joints are?

Tons, look at McDonalds and BK for example.

Showing more ignorance are you?

With McDonald's they only own 5% of the stores , the rest are small business owners fool..

So again scared to research the profit margins of fast food restaurants?

Yep, guess McDonald's doesn't profit from those stores just because they're owned by a franchisee... Again, I was right, a string of retarded posts by you.

-McDonalds doesn't make huge profits.
-The free market won't eliminate expensive restaurants.
- The owner of the restaurant needs to drive a Porche or else he's considered "poor."

Here is a example ignoramus..

The Average Profit Margin for a Restaurant

Full-Service Restaurants
Full-service restaurants at all levels spent about 32 percent of each dollar on the cost of food and beverages, 33 percent on salaries and wages, and from 5 percent to 6 percent on restaurant occupancy costs. Profit margins, however, varied according to the cost of the average check per person. Those with checks under $15 showed a profit of 3 percent. Those with checks from $15 to $24.99 boasted the highest profit margin at 3.5 percent. Finally, those with checks of $25 and over had the lowest profits, at 1.8 percent.

Your little link says full service restaurants have an average profit of 3%-3.5% on checks between $15-$25, but then 1.8% on checks over $25. There's no reason for a profit margin to shrink if the check is higher. Your source sucks and is bull shit.

What the heck? Do you know anything about business? Lots of reasons profit margins can sink if the check is higher. Man, what world do you live in?

No stupid, business models vary and Ford's business model then may not work today and in many places it doesn't.

Please learn before you post stupidity.

Yeah, sole reason that business exists is to support people needs.

"Livable wage"... LOL.

I need around $150K annually. Are you ready to pay that up?

A livable wage is a salary that allows to eat and pay rent without government assistance or force to get a second job.

$8.25 doesn't allow for that.

A livable wage is a salary that allows to eat and pay rent without government assistance or force to get a second job.

Where's is that in the constitution? Prior to all the self entitled spineless snowflakes people had roommates and shared expenses. Now you are entitled to live on your own? You didn't say where that comes from.

Where's is that in the constitution? Prior to all the self entitled spineless snowflakes people had roommates and shared expenses. Now you are entitled to live on your own? You didn't say where that comes from.

No where in my post did I say living alone. But even with a roommate, rent cannot be paid with $8.25 an hour.

When I first graduated college I had a roommate and my portion was still $1,400 a month. Thankfully I was making more than minimum wage but I couldn't imagine having to having to pay rent with min wage. All I would be able to do is pay rent and maybe a buy a can of baked beans.

No where in my post did I say living alone. But even with a roommate, rent cannot be paid with $8.25 an hour.

When I first graduated college I had a roommate and my portion was still $1,400 a month. Thankfully I was making more than minimum wage but I couldn't imagine having to having to pay rent with min wage. All I would be able to do is pay rent and maybe a buy a can of baked beans.
Your portion was $1,400 a month? I bought a house for half that. Maybe you should have taken an economics class?

Forum List

Back