Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

They're trying. More and more fast food places are implementing self-service kiosks here in California. I don't blame them either.

I so doubt that this is due to the wage increase, shame on them for paying min wage in the state to begin with. The cost of living is high in San Diego, and that is all they make. There comes a time when the worker just needs to say hell with it when the business owners want to get rich off their backs. I bet they do not even cost share health insurance. Self serve, well we all know waitresses do not make min wage.

Why worker doesn't do it? It's not like worker is held on gun point and forced to work.
Try to quit and collect unemployment in any at-will employment State in our Union.

Have you tried?

Why not jail employers who don't hire everybody that applies, in right to work States.
Because that would be nonsense.

Republicans don't want people who work in restaurants to be able to afford to eat there.
Only the right wing is cognitively dissonant enough to "hate on the poor" but blame the left.

Cutting healthcare and foodstamps for the poor and cutting taxes for the "rich", really is "making the rich richer and the poor, poorer via the Institution of Public Policy; yet, the right wing prefers to, "blame the poor".
While I agree a balance must be achieved, simply mandating wages and taxing the public to pay for more and more social services for longer and longer periods of time is not the answer either.

Effects_of_Population_Aging_and_Excess_Health_Care_Costs_on_Entitlement_Programs_%282013%29.png

So what is your answer, I know pay more per hour, and those people pay more in taxes. The young care for the aged, but in this country, we have SS, which most have paid into for years, and Medicare which we also paid in to , and pay monthly for this HI, too bad the gov steals from it.
The Laffer Curve has two sides; too little and too much. Mandating a higher minimum wage is the same as taxing too much since it still puts smaller businesses underwater. You're playing directly into the hands of major restaurant chains that can afford to automate like McDonalds.

Last edited:
I so doubt that this is due to the wage increase, shame on them for paying min wage in the state to begin with. The cost of living is high in San Diego, and that is all they make. There comes a time when the worker just needs to say hell with it when the business owners want to get rich off their backs. I bet they do not even cost share health insurance. Self serve, well we all know waitresses do not make min wage.

Why worker doesn't do it? It's not like worker is held on gun point and forced to work.
Try to quit and collect unemployment in any at-will employment State in our Union.

Why not jail employers who don't hire everybody that applies, in right to work States.

Are you nutz? Don't answer that, it's rhetorical question.

Are you saying that companies should be forced to hire everyone that shows up at the door and wants a job?
Only in "right to work" States.

You have a right to work, not a right to a job.
Why claim it is a, "right to work" State and not a "right to employ" State?

Are you saying that companies should be forced to hire everyone that shows up at the door and wants a job?

You do know what that "right to work" means, do ya?
Yes, I do; it is the right wing that Only has, "fantasy legislation".

Yep, and needs to be set to zero.
Why zero?
The right wing likes for the poor to have to work harder for less, in our first world economy.

Not really, the right wing wants everyone to earn their pay.
No, they don't. They don't care as long as it involves profit.

You still have to earn it.
Nope; it is an "entitlement" due to public policy.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

They're trying. More and more fast food places are implementing self-service kiosks here in California. I don't blame them either.

Have you tried?

Because that would be nonsense.
Equal protection of the law, and National Thong Day, right wingers!

Why try to understand your idiocy? Lost cause.

Only lousy capitalists makes excuses instead of try to understand the potential Contract.

Only lousy capitalists makes excuses instead of try to understand the potential Contract.

Forcing firms to hire moron slackers like you is the best way to harm the economy.

There it is folks, exactly how the left views business owners. They have this bizarre idea that all business owners just need to write bigger checks, and their own personal wealth will cover things.

Fucking amazing.

They will when people stop going to their restaurant because the prices are too expensive. Capitalism isn't a left sided mindset.

I think you are overlooking massive costs to the owner. Utilites, insurance, health insurance, frivilous slip-fall & lightswitch too low lawsuits, Unemployment costs, workers comp, mortgage, TAXES (FED, Local, state) Phone, equipment, maintenance, service contracts, TAX prepare, Lawyers, Accountants, Book keepers, Cars, Gas on and on.

You try it.
It's not just expenses. Most small business owners have much bigger investments at risk than their employees would imagine. I have a friend who is a chef and is opening up his own restaurant. He has about $30,000 of his saving going into it plus he has a personal loan of $60,000 and this is not a large restaurant.

The owner should not only collect enough revenue to pay his business expenses and living expenses but also a good return on a high risk investment.

I believe in minimum wage but not at the federal. There is far too much variation in the costs around the country. Even at the state level, a minimum wage in a large city may be totally inappropriate for a small rural town.
I've said this for many years. A $15/hr wage might actually work in San Francisco, it could also be devastating to Hog Wallow Tenn. But remember, those in SF will relish the suffering in Tenn.
In reality, the federal minimum wage increases do not have a major effect on that many workers because most state and local minimum wages are already above federal minimum wage. So the biggest impact of federal minimum wage increases are always on places like Hog Wallow.

You do know what that "right to work" means, do ya?
Yes, I do; it is the right wing that Only has, "fantasy legislation".

You got no clue what "right to work" means.

There it is folks, exactly how the left views business owners. They have this bizarre idea that all business owners just need to write bigger checks, and their own personal wealth will cover things.

Fucking amazing.

They will when people stop going to their restaurant because the prices are too expensive. Capitalism isn't a left sided mindset.

Proving how stupid you really are?

How do you get "top poster of the month" with the stupid shit you post?

Raise the prices enough and people will stop going and will start eating at home.

How will the employees buy their food to eat at home if they are unemployed?

Food stamps!
Our current president wants to cut foodstamps.

That would be a big mistake. He should eliminate them completely.

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.
I eat in Seattle fairly often where they have the $15 minimum wage. The only change I've seen is some restaurants have raised their prices. Possibly a few marginally profitable restaurants have closed. Other than that it's about the same. New restaurants are opening daily, the population is growing over 1,000 a week, and unemployment has dropped to 2.9%, not exactly the predicted disaster when the minimum wage increase was proposed.

Why would anyone eat in Seattle when the same restaurant is usually down the road in Tacoma, Renton, Bellevue, Puyallup, or any other number of cities without the added costs?

Tell me the economic sense to drive 30 miles each way to save $10.00 on a meal?

No economic sense. It's matter of principles.

Our current president wants to cut foodstamps.

In case you didn't know , Americans are becoming to fat and obesity has surpassed smoking as the number one preventable killer...he knows what's best for you, you don't know what's best for you.

You have be able to "lead by example" for the militia of the United States.

Our military is not fat , but you are, so instead of hating Trump you should be glad he is cutting your food stamps, now if he just got rid of your Obama phone.....

Why is that; I try to "engage in Commerce" with that. The right wing believes we only need prayers.

Prayers do miracles... Hillary lost and the Democrats lost the Senate...they were both supposed to win in a landslide.

You forgot to post trigger warning. :D

You have be able to "lead by example" for the militia of the United States.

Our military is not fat , but you are, so instead of hating Trump you should be glad he is cutting your food stamps, now if he just got rid of your Obama phone.....

Why is that; I try to "engage in Commerce" with that. The right wing believes we only need prayers.

Prayers do miracles... Hillary lost and the Democrats lost the Senate...they were both supposed to win in a landslide.

The "rich guy from the North versus the relatively poor white girl from the South."

Since when is Chicago in the South?

Who's that relatively poor white girl he's talking about?

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

You know you could just get illegal Mexicans to do it, if you want it cheap. Then there'd be lots more food places. But for some reason you have a problem with Mexicans working illegally, but you don't have a problem with Americans working for too little money. Hmmm.

Boot 10 million illegal aliens, low skill Americans would earn more.
You new to our New World economy?

America has near record 5.8 million job openings

You need New World excuses not Old World excuses.

5.8 million job openings.

Why do we have so many on unemployment, welfare and food stamps?

I so doubt that this is due to the wage increase

That's because you're ignorant and stupid and couldn't derive a profit from a lemonade stand.

I never had one. In my youth I use to babysit, sell night crawlers, cleaned neighbors house, sold bullheads and turtles, which I caught.

Can you tell, why aren't you still doing those jobs?
I moved on to container gardening.

Make up your mind, are you Penelope or danielpalos?

You never could quit a job and collect unemployment. You have to be laid off.
Why is that? Employment is supposed to be, at-will. Why the "red tape restriction" on at-will employment Only for Labor.

Employment is supposed to be, at-will.

But not forced.
Why should an employer have to hire a useless stoner like you who can't even pass the drug screening?
Because, employment is "forced" if I can't quit on an at-will basis and collect unemployment compensation. Equality, right wingers.

There you go, you'd like to quit just to collect unemployment. Plus welfare and food stamps.

If possible, forever. Typical leftist freeloader.

Forcing firms to hire moron slackers like you is the best way to harm the economy.
Only lousy capitalists, say that.

You never could quit a job and collect unemployment. You have to be laid off.
Why is that? Employment is supposed to be, at-will. Why the "red tape restriction" on at-will employment Only for Labor.

Employment is supposed to be, at-will.

But not forced.
Why should an employer have to hire a useless stoner like you who can't even pass the drug screening?
Because, employment is "forced" if I can't quit on an at-will basis and collect unemployment compensation. Equality, right wingers.

Because, employment is "forced"

Not for over 150 years.

if I can't quit on an at-will basis and collect unemployment compensation.

Boohoo.

Equality, right wingers.

Laziness, left wingers.
That "contract was made under duress".

I knew it, they held you at gun point, you just had to sign it.

I guess they also ask you to work in order to get paid. OMG, you must be outraged.

Forum List

Back