Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

Honey, you forgot wages for the bookkeeper, cooks, etc, cost of utilities, building rent, upkeep, workers comp, building insurance, liability insurance. Oh, and if a franchise, franchise fees.
Oh, and don't forget employment taxes, state taxes, local taxes and fees. Now, what were you saying?

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

I think it's hilarious and will benefit Americans... More people will have to start eating home cooked meals.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. When the burger on the menu costs $3.00 to make, the fries cost $1.00 to make, and then you charge $10.99 for the entire meal without a $2.50 drink that costs the owner $0.05 a cup to fill, or tip, that's basically robbery. $13.50 for a meal that costs $4.50 to prepare and then I have to pay the owner's sales tax for him, his employee's wage, and then they still bitch because they're "poor," somehow... Amazing how other companies which pay standard minimum wage or a bit higher aren't "poor" but these "lowly" restaurant owners are. Bull shit.

You have a right to work, not a right to a job.
Why claim it is a, "right to work" State and not a "right to employ" State?

Why try to understand your idiocy? Lost cause.
Only lousy capitalists makes excuses instead of try to understand the potential Contract.

Forcing firms to hire moron slackers like you is the best way to harm the economy.
Only lousy capitalists, say that.

Economics....lib morons just don't get it.

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

You know you could just get illegal Mexicans to do it, if you want it cheap. Then there'd be lots more food places. But for some reason you have a problem with Mexicans working illegally, but you don't have a problem with Americans working for too little money. Hmmm.

Boot 10 million illegal aliens, low skill Americans would earn more.

Yes, they would, and then you'd have to pay more too... you see how that works.

The deal here is that Republicans are complaining about low paid workers earning too much, then they'll turn around and demand that Mexicans get kicked out so people earn even more. Does that not confuse you?

Glad we agree.
Start the deportations!!!

The deal here is that Republicans are complaining about low paid workers earning too much

Link?

then they'll turn around and demand that Mexicans get kicked out so people earn even more.

Boot the illegals. Today!

Does that not confuse you?

Your confusion doesn't confuse me at all.

So, that mean there isn't a problem with minimum wage then?

Link? You want a link to a thread where people are complaining about the minimum wage? Go look at the OP.

I asked you whether it's not confusing that Republicans want their cake and want to eat it, you deflected. maybe you can try again.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

They did twit...they are closing down......the stupid is strong with you...

You know you could just get illegal Mexicans to do it, if you want it cheap. Then there'd be lots more food places. But for some reason you have a problem with Mexicans working illegally, but you don't have a problem with Americans working for too little money. Hmmm.

The deal here is that Republicans are complaining about low paid workers earning too much, then they'll turn around and demand that Mexicans get kicked out so people earn even more. Does that not confuse you?

Glad we agree.

The deal here is that Republicans are complaining about low paid workers earning too much

Link?

then they'll turn around and demand that Mexicans get kicked out so people earn even more.

Link? You want a link to a thread where people are complaining about the minimum wage? Go look at the OP.

I asked you whether it's not confusing that Republicans want their cake and want to eat it, you deflected. maybe you can try again.

The minimum wage is a bad idea. Eliminate it.

You want a link to a thread where people are complaining about the minimum wage?

I want a link that proves your claim, "The deal here is that Republicans are complaining about low paid workers workers earning too much"

Which Republicans did that? Where?

I asked you whether it's not confusing that Republicans want
their cake and want to eat it

I told you, I saw your confusion about what Republicans want.

There is a problem with minimum wage.

It totally disadvantages poor people. Raising it will drive automation in the lowest sectors of our economy thus making less jobs for illegals. But also, make hiring illegals more profitable, which is different issue. Minimum wage accomplishes absolutely nothing except accelerating inflation.

That's why it needs to be abolished completely. Let market drive the price of labor and workers negotiate their pay with employer.

You new to our New World economy?

America has near record 5.8 million job openings

You need New World excuses not Old World excuses.

Not the problem, the jobs are out there, but the pay is low and they are part time or seasonal. So you have just admitted that illegal aliens work, good for you, and they pay tax,

Mexicans are not coming here anymore for work. They also hire HB1 visas and lay off 50 year olds, to let the Indians who are young and healthy take their jobs. No one has job security. You give you loyalty to a company for 20 years and they don't want to give you the pay raises or retirement, and you are just too old. Not all companies do this but many.

Not the problem,

All those illegals competing for the same jobs sure isn't the solution for low skilled Americans.

So you have just admitted that illegal aliens work, good for you,

And now they need to go back home and work there.

Except the US is intent on making sure there aren't any jobs for them there.

The US is supposed to make sure there are jobs for them in their home country?

Damn, that's hilarious!

Let's try explaining this in a way you should be able to grasp.

Ever heard of the Marshall Plan? Post WW2 and many countries were in serious need of rebuilding. The US helped certain allies to rebuild, like Japan, who had been an enemy, and the Japanese came strongly to the forefront of the Cold War in the Pacific. West Germany was also very strong along with France, they were staunch allies in the Cold War. They benefited the US greatly, it was money well spent for the US.

At the end of the Cold War the US again helped countries that had formerly been their enemies. Many Warsaw Pact countries, but not Russia. America still feared the power of Russia. So, during the 1990s while many Warsaw Pact countries were doing well, Russia wasn't. So Russia then went and elected Putin who has been a thorn in the side of America ever since. Had the US helped Russia, showed the Russians that democracy can work, then maybe someone like Putin wouldn't have found it easy to come to the fore in politics. But it didn't work like that.

For Mexico there seem to be a few problems, crime and drugs, and illegal workers. Neither of these are a problem for the US-Canadian border. There's no call for a wall on the US-Canadian border.

Canada has a GDP of $46,000 per capita, Mexico has $19,000 per capita.

The border is going to cost Americans billions of dollars all because of this. If Mexico has jobs, and Mexico increases its GDP then it's more able to fight the drugs and the crime, saving the US money, and the border will be less crossed, saving the US money.

Got it?

Glad we agree.

Link?

You want a link to a thread where people are complaining about the minimum wage?

I want a link that proves your claim, "The deal here is that Republicans are complaining about low paid workers workers earning too much"

Why is the minimum wage a bad idea? You could try jumping ahead of such simple questions.

As I told you, on this thread.

And again you're fucking around like a dumb fuck of a child. Are you going to fucking answer questions or fuck around? Because if it's the latter, I'm not wasting my time.

Why claim it is a, "right to work" State and not a "right to employ" State?

Only lousy capitalists makes excuses instead of try to understand the potential Contract.

Forcing firms to hire moron slackers like you is the best way to harm the economy.

Yes, liberals forget that everything is really simple, so simple that retards can understand it. Liberals are fucking stupid because they think economics is COMPLEX, bahhh, what a bunch of fools they are.

Not the problem, the jobs are out there, but the pay is low and they are part time or seasonal. So you have just admitted that illegal aliens work, good for you, and they pay tax,

Mexicans are not coming here anymore for work. They also hire HB1 visas and lay off 50 year olds, to let the Indians who are young and healthy take their jobs. No one has job security. You give you loyalty to a company for 20 years and they don't want to give you the pay raises or retirement, and you are just too old. Not all companies do this but many.

Not the problem,

All those illegals competing for the same jobs sure isn't the solution for low skilled Americans.

Damn, that's hilarious!

Ever heard of the Marshall Plan? Post WW2 and many countries were in serious need of rebuilding. The US helped certain allies to rebuild, like Japan, who had been an enemy, and the Japanese came strongly to the forefront of the Cold War in the Pacific. West Germany was also very strong along with France, they were staunch allies in the Cold War. They benefited the US greatly, it was money well spent for the US.

At the end of the Cold War the US again helped countries that had formerly been their enemies. Many Warsaw Pact countries, but not Russia. America still feared the power of Russia. So, during the 1990s while many Warsaw Pact countries were doing well, Russia wasn't. So Russia then went and elected Putin who has been a thorn in the side of America ever since. Had the US helped Russia, showed the Russians that democracy can work, then maybe someone like Putin wouldn't have found it easy to come to the fore in politics. But it didn't work like that.

For Mexico there seem to be a few problems, crime and drugs, and illegal workers. Neither of these are a problem for the US-Canadian border. There's no call for a wall on the US-Canadian border.

The border is going to cost Americans billions of dollars all because of this. If Mexico has jobs, and Mexico increases its GDP then it's more able to fight the drugs and the crime, saving the US money, and the border will be less crossed, saving the US money.

Got it?

Considering how awesome liberals say all these illegal aliens are, you know....hard workers, starting up small businesses, etc, I figure if we deport 10-12 million back to Mexico, they'll fix up their homeland in no time.
They can even vote out their corrupt officials if they'd like.
Sound good?

Glad we agree.

Link?

Why is the minimum wage a bad idea? You could try jumping ahead of such simple questions.

And again you're fucking around like a dumb fuck of a child. Are you going to fucking answer questions or fuck around? Because if it's the latter, I'm not wasting my time.

Why is the minimum wage a bad idea?

It hurts inexperienced, low-skilled, mostly minority workers who can't get a job at a rate that is above the value they add to a business. If they can't get hired at $7.25, you think they'll get hired at $11? At $15?

Are you going to fucking answer questions

You seem to think there is a conflict between the idea that government mandating a wage is bad and the idea that supply/demand causing wages to rise is good.

If you boot the illegals, businesses will have to raise wages for low-skilled Americans.
Is that a good outcome for low-skilled Americans or not?

Yes, liberals forget that everything is really simple, so simple that retards can understand it. Liberals are fucking stupid because they think economics is COMPLEX, bahhh, what a bunch of fools they are.

Yes, liberals forget that everything is really simple,

That liberal moron you're defending thinks businesses should hire everyone who applies.
He also thinks he should get UE benefits if he quits or never works.

He makes the average lib moron look like a genius.

Not the problem,

Damn, that's hilarious!

Got it?

What a load of crap.

How many jobs left US for Mexico since NAFTA and how much that really help them?

Mexico GDP before NAFTA was cca $8000 per capita and today is around $9500 per capita. LINK
Counting inflation, nothing has changed. Except, we're hurting, since nice chunk of our production moved south.

By the way, some of the former Warshaw Pact countries are doing much better, not because of "our money" but because they got rid of communism, take Poland, Slovakia, Hungary. The others, with the same communist mindset as during the Pact, are still shitholes, take Romania, Bulgaria, Albania. They're doing bit better, only due to the charity money from EU.

Not the problem,

Damn, that's hilarious!

Got it?

Considering how awesome liberals say all these illegal aliens are, you know....hard workers, starting up small businesses, etc, I figure if we deport 10-12 million back to Mexico, they'll fix up their homeland in no time.
Sound good?

No, it sounds like you're not using your brain.

Not the problem,

Damn, that's hilarious!

Got it?

Sound good?

Illegal aliens aren't awesome, supercool hard workers who make everything better?

Glad we agree.

Link?

Why is the minimum wage a bad idea?

It hurts inexperienced, low-skilled, mostly minority workers who can't get a job at a rate that is above the value they add to a business. If they can't get hired at $7.25, you think they'll get hired at $11? At $15?

Are you going to fucking answer questions

You seem to think there is a conflict between the idea that government mandating a wage is bad and the idea that supply/demand causing wages to rise is good.

If you boot the illegals, businesses will have to raise wages for low-skilled Americans.
Is that a good outcome for low-skilled Americans or not?

I think if someone wants to hire them, then yes, they'll be hired.

The biggest problem isn't a minimum wage at all. I'm not a great fan of the minimum wage, however I'm also not a fan of large corporations, especially large corporation, paying too little for workers either.

In the US large corporations have the govt in their pockets, which means too many people end up getting paid too little just so large corporations can have massive profit. Large corporations shouldn't be given massive advantages by the US govt. But they are. So, the biggest problem is the govt is in the hands of large corporations, and the working people are getting screwed over.

Damn, that's hilarious!

Got it?

Sound good?

Illegal aliens aren't awesome, supercool hard workers who make everything better?

Again, I'm not in favor of illegal workers, this isn't the point. You send people back to Mexico with nothing, and then what? It's just making things worse. Where are the jobs in Mexico? Well, they're in drug running... oh, great.

Yes, liberals forget that everything is really simple,

That liberal moron you're defending thinks businesses should hire everyone who applies.
He also thinks he should get UE benefits if he quits or never works.

He makes the average lib moron look like a genius.

So, that's reason to then basically tar everyone on one side of a spectrum... because you don't agree with one person?

Damn, that's hilarious!

Got it?

Sound good?

Again, I'm not in favor of illegal workers, this isn't the point. You send people back to Mexico with nothing, and then what? It's just making things worse. Where are the jobs in Mexico? Well, they're in drug running... oh, great.

You send people back to Mexico with nothing, and then what?

Then they aren't competing with Americans who have nothing.
US wages rise.

Forum List

Back