Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

Not my responsibility. You used charts which have nothing to do with today's economy. Totally irrelevant.

We aren't talking about today's economy, we are talking about the historical performance of the economy under your stupid policies and why those stupid policies won't turn a different result than they have in the past.

All welfare reform accomplished was a backdoor to give red states the ability to use welfare to plug the deficits created by their stupid tax policies.

There was nothing back door about the 1996 Welfare Reform Act, which you know well. The plan had been part of the famous 1996 Contract with America on which Republicans ran, led by Newt Gingrich in 1994. Former President Bill Clinton vetoed the bill twice before it was presented to him a third time. This time he knew Republicans had enough votes to override his veto so he signed the legislation.

Sorry, no back door agreements and, as you know, it was extremely successful. Look what happened when petulant former President Barack Hussein Obama allowed the requirement to work to be removed with his passing of the failed stimulus plan.

We aren't talking about today's economy, we are talking about the historical performance of the economy under your stupid policies and why those stupid policies won't turn a different result than they have in the past.

So you're afraid to compare those figures with the entire failed term of petulant former President Barack Hussein Obama? I don't blame you.

Not my responsibility. You used charts which have nothing to do with today's economy. Totally irrelevant.

Capitalism is hardly a stupid policy. Ever heard of east west Germany or Cuba Florida or USA USSR or Hong Kong Red China ???

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

That will NEVER happen, nor should it. They are in business to make money. If they cannot meet their predetermined profit level, they'll go out of business.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

That will NEVER happen, nor should it. They are in business to make money. If they cannot meet their predetermined profit level, they'll go out of business.
Exactly businesses are competitive so they lower their profit margin as much is possible so they can lower prices and attract customers. Seems like a simple concept but nevertheless a concept that liberals cannot understand. Obviously if profits were high everybody will go into business to share in those profits but the reality is that competition forces profit so low that few can survive in business.

So you're afraid to compare those figures with the entire failed term of petulant former President Barack Hussein Obama? I don't blame you.

If you remove Mortgage Equity Withdrawals (people using their homes as ATMs) from Bush's GDP figures, it seems as though he had the worst growth in 80 years:

mauldin.png

Also, Obama created over net 10,000,000 private sector jobs. Bush lost net 460,000 private sector jobs.

The only things that kept Bush's economy afloat were credit and debt. Two things Conservatives warn us about constantly.

Capitalism is hardly a stupid policy. Ever heard of east west Germany or Cuba Florida or USA USSR or Hong Kong Red China ???

Of course, we are talking about the Conservative policies of trickle-down economics.

actually trickle down is liberal for capitalism and capitalism is Marxist for survival based on providing the best jobs and products in the entire world. 1+1=2

The issue is reducing employees. You haven't proven your point.
When there's only one employee behind the counter where there used to be multiple employees, head count has been reduced. In math, one =/= two or more.

They haven't cut any employees. Isn't that the basis of this entire thread?
They have behind the counter and will reduce total headcount. That's the point. Where do you think the excess employees will go? Extra mopping shifts?

You posted two front house employees. How is that a reduction?
Now you're back to 1=2 again. I said there was ONE employee behind the counter. You keep saying two. Why is that?

You stated two.

Another non-answer.

I'll bet the 'ridiculous taxes' started in the early 70's when payroll fell behind cost of living.

I get started to get bored of this, we all saw it coming that imports we're going to over take exports in the 1980s and it did , you always want to deny the world didn't catch up after WWIi and they finnaly did.

It happened in the early 1980s

Nixon opened the door and Reagan put us in the world economy.
Nixon opened the door to China. We already were in the world economy since WWII. As Bear stated, what happened was the world caught up to us. Europe was a great economy but they were shattered by WWII. It took decades for Germany to catch back up. Remember when "made in Japan" meant it was cheap junk? Then they caught up with Sony and others. Remember when "made in Korea" was cheap junk? "GoldStar" VCRs? Now they are world-class electronic and auto manufacturers.

Fareed Zakaria's "the Post-American World" is a great book on this very subject. We haven't fallen behind as much as the world as caught up to us. Our problem is a government system which spends too much and taxes too little; hence our huge debt and deficit. That isn't the "world's" problem, it's ours.

We had an international exchange of goods and services from WWII to Nixon? How so and what products/services?
Wow. So you claim to be a "One Percenter" but you don't know the history of the United States economy? Interesting.

Maybe pictures will help you:

Chart1_1.jpg

Do you understand that, given the same tax rate, as the economy improves, the Federal tax rate goes up?

RealGDPperCapita-650x450.png

Now compare the chart above to this one:
800px-1700_ad_through_2008_ad_per_capita_gdp_of_china_germany_india_japan_uk_usa_per_angus_maddison.png

Please account for the differences in the graphs.

I asked a direct question, what products/services? Answer the question.....

I get started to get bored of this, we all saw it coming that imports we're going to over take exports in the 1980s and it did , you always want to deny the world didn't catch up after WWIi and they finnaly did.

It happened in the early 1980s

Nixon opened the door to China. We already were in the world economy since WWII. As Bear stated, what happened was the world caught up to us. Europe was a great economy but they were shattered by WWII. It took decades for Germany to catch back up. Remember when "made in Japan" meant it was cheap junk? Then they caught up with Sony and others. Remember when "made in Korea" was cheap junk? "GoldStar" VCRs? Now they are world-class electronic and auto manufacturers.

Fareed Zakaria's "the Post-American World" is a great book on this very subject. We haven't fallen behind as much as the world as caught up to us. Our problem is a government system which spends too much and taxes too little; hence our huge debt and deficit. That isn't the "world's" problem, it's ours.

We had an international exchange of goods and services from WWII to Nixon? How so and what products/services?
Wow. So you claim to be a "One Percenter" but you don't know the history of the United States economy? Interesting.

Chart1_1.jpg

Do you understand that, given the same tax rate, as the economy improves, the Federal tax rate goes up?

800px-1700_ad_through_2008_ad_per_capita_gdp_of_china_germany_india_japan_uk_usa_per_angus_maddison.png

You brought it up. You don't know that the US engaged in trade with other nations from WWII to Nixon? Again, I doubt your veracity as a "One Percenter" unless, like Paris Hilton, you're just living on Daddy's dime.

Here, let me help you understand US foreign trade:
Foreign trade of the United States - Wikipedia
While the United States has always participated in international trade, it did not take a leading role in global trade policy-making until the Great Depression. Congress and The Executive Branch came into conflict in deciding the mix of trade promotion and protectionism. In order to stimulate employment, Congress passed the Reciprocal Trade Agreements Act of 1934, allowing the executive branch to negotiate bilateral trade agreements for a fixed period of time.[citation needed] During the 1930s the amount of bilateral negotiation under this act was fairly limited, and consequently did little to expand global trade.

Near the end of the Second World War U.S. policy makers began to experiment on a broader level. In the 1940s, working with the British government, the United States developed two innovations to expand and govern trade among nations: the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) and the International Trade Organization (ITO). GATT was a temporary multilateral agreement designed to provide a framework of rules and a forum to negotiate trade barrier reductions among nations.

The growing importance of international trade led to the establishment of the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative in 1963 by Executive Order 11075, originally called The Office of the Special Representative for Trade Negotiations.[4]

Chart1_1.jpg

You brought it up. You don't know that the US engaged in trade with other nations from WWII to Nixon? Again, I doubt your veracity as a "One Percenter" unless, like Paris Hilton, you're just living on Daddy's dime.

While the United States has always participated in international trade, it did not take a leading role in global trade policy-making until the Great Depression. Congress and The Executive Branch came into conflict in deciding the mix of trade promotion and protectionism. In order to stimulate employment, Congress passed the Reciprocal Trade Agreements Act of 1934, allowing the executive branch to negotiate bilateral trade agreements for a fixed period of time.[citation needed] During the 1930s the amount of bilateral negotiation under this act was fairly limited, and consequently did little to expand global trade.

Near the end of the Second World War U.S. policy makers began to experiment on a broader level. In the 1940s, working with the British government, the United States developed two innovations to expand and govern trade among nations: the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) and the International Trade Organization (ITO). GATT was a temporary multilateral agreement designed to provide a framework of rules and a forum to negotiate trade barrier reductions among nations.

The growing importance of international trade led to the establishment of the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative in 1963 by Executive Order 11075, originally called The Office of the Special Representative for Trade Negotiations.[4]

Ahhh, you ruined it, he thought he invented foreign trade. Lol!

Chart1_1.jpg

We had trade negotiations until Nixon allowed Japan to product dump and Regan put us in the world economy. Both actions were a huge benefit to the rich.

What is it with these f*cking nasty @$$ Republicans anyway. They want to take away people's healthcare, take away their food stamps and make them work for slave wages. The one thing that could get them out of that cycle is education and they don't want people to have that either.

They are just mean people. They want Americans to suffer. What made them that way? That rotten?

1. The one thing that could get them out of that cycle is education [/B]

2. They have education. Of course the Dems fucked that all up.

1. True but ------- what happened to my fellow Americans that are in the late 40s to to 80s to ------- in millions and millions that are poor with no education that are still alive?
These are the people that voted for Trump hoping for a savior.
Now they are cutting the food stamps and health care, closing clinics and hospitals for the poor. This will not MAKE AMERICA GREAT.
2. Never heard.

How many of those poor with no education who voted for Trump died of starvation since the elections?

Cut off the food and health care. Its coming.

Again, how many died?

Hello papag. I have not seen you for a while.
My numbers was just an example how a restaurant can easily recover $192 MW a day increase = 70k/year. From my example---- if a couple spend minimum ( that is minimum ) of $11 ($5.50/person) higher from previous menus.
Let say say ONLY 35 customers ate in that restaurant for the whole day during lunch and diner= $192.50.
If that same restaurant had 80 to 120+ customers in one day. Piece of cake.

1. Been around, I hope things are going well for you. How do you drive an extra 40 to 70 customers a day?

2. The average profit margin of a restaurant is 3.6% to make up $192.50 in costs a restaurant needs to generate over $5300 a day in revenue to maintain the slim 3.6% in profit.
3. If you increase customers you will increase food costs, you increase labor, water, sewer, lights and so on. So a business owner would need to look at the impact of a wage increase and find ways to off set the expense. The ways to do that are limited. Increase menu prices, look at the restaurant hours and cut back on slow business hours, layoff workers and short staff, get lower quality food, cut back on portions, there are other ways but those are most of them. Most small businesses don't have a lot of areas to cut back.

1. Health and business been good can't complain. Just returned from a summer Hawaiian vacation with my entire clan for 8 days.

2. The 35 number of customers I gave for lunch and dinners is the minimum. There are no such restaurants that only have 35 customers for lunch and dinners. Otherwise they are not in business to begin with. I gave a minimum $5.50 per person increase from old menu x 35 customers to cover $192. They do these all the time. That kind of increase will not result in lay off, cut back hours, short staff or lower quality food. Otherwise all famous and big restaurants are closed a long time ago.
There are tons of small businesses here that are operational and successful. They do give raises to their current employees, a lot of them are making over $16/hour. I do not expect a lot or any business that will close because of MW hike. If business is good business will survive----- If business is sucks like food you don't expect to survive.

My favorite taco stand here in San Diego normally cost me $3.15 for one taco asada. I know the owner for many years. She increased the price of taco asada to $3.65 and so the rest of the menu across the board including soda effective last June 5. Not sure what and how much she increases across the board
I ate 4 taco asada today no soda ( too much sugar) just water. That is when I asked her ------ Why is the increase? She said MW increase amigo and the place was packed as always.
With low unemployment rate businesses are force to hire the rejects and higher rates than $12.

Glad you had a great vacation, we just did a drive from Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower and Yellowstone, this fall we are taking a cruise.

I'm just saying that additional costs are not simply offset by raising prices. If a business has an increase of costs by $192, the offset has to be a lot more than $192. The actual cost is not $192, however it is closer to $5000, otherwise the profit margin goes down. Most restaurants work off a 3.6% profit margin. To produce more food, you would have to buy more food, use more electric, clean more dishes etc, etc. so it always isn't easy to do. You do have to raise food prices but it isn't the only way you can recoup a labor increase.

'Most restaurants work off a 3.6% profit margin.'

Not including;

-The owners payroll.
-The owners families payroll.
-The company car (s).
-The owners girlfriend/Sugar Baby.
-The owners vacation property.

Much, much, more than 3.6%

The first three are not part of profit margin.
Last two are part of the first one.

Therefore PG is right.

It's ALL profit. The five that I wrote are the best profit of all......deductible profit.

Which Democrats are those?

No, smart business owners don't work hard.

I don't come here everyday. I usually post when I travel because it's boring.

The middle class are dumb, they continue to vote for Republicans.
You're a bigot. Your definition of smart and dumb differ from mine. Your traveling salesman job doesn't qualify as a business owner. No successful owner would trash such a large segment of the population.

How is pointing out and proving that if you're middle class voting Republican is voting against your own best interest 'bigoted?'

Your proof is lacking.

Since 1970, name one Republican sponsored bill that helped the middle class without giving a huge boost to the rich.

Depends on what you define "huge boost" is.

My taxes went from 70% to 26%. YOU got a tax increase.

Since 1970, name one Republican sponsored bill that helped the middle class without giving a huge boost to the rich.

Why would you ignore bills that help the middle class and the rich?

Non-answer for there aren't any.

Reagan's tax cuts helped the rich and the middle class.

Reagan's tax cuts helped the rich, the middle class paid for. Trickle down sound failure?

Who, percentually, got larger tax cut, middle class or rich?

Actual (real dollars) the rich.

Forum List

Back