Restaurants Paying $2.13 Per Hour Isn't A Living Wage

Waiting tables is hard work. If people were actually paid by the employer for the work they'd make the same as some construction workers and the cost to eat out would not be affordable to most.

Also, tipping relies on so many more things than just service. A cute girl can get more in tips even if she is less proficient at her job. The kitchen can be having a bad night and people take it out on the waiters with low tips.

Guessing she's not getting Hooter's tips ...

88 years old waitress rose.jpg

To not pay minimum wage is truly pathetic. Do the waiting tables yourself. Frankly you don't deserve help

Also, tipping relies on so many more things than just service. A cute girl can get more in tips even if she is less proficient at her job. The kitchen can be having a bad night and people take it out on the waiters with low tips.

Is that it? Cute gets a bigger tip than professional? You know like the pro who pours hot water in your coffee cup to heat it before she brings it to the table.

20% is an above average tip I would say. I know it’s becoming the new 15 but I think if you talk with wait staff they would consider 20% above average.

These days dinner for two at a medium price point can easily be $100.. Even lunch with iced tea can be $60.

No American should work for $2.15 per hour. That's ridiculous.
If a restaurant is only putting out $2.15 an hour, that is less than $20 a shift

If the workers don’t like the working conditions you are demanding for your $20 bucks, I can see why they stay home

Or, is it?

I'm so damn sick and tired of leftists complaining about restaurant's tip wages and the poor things haven't gotten a raise to that base in years and how that is peanuts to live on. I was a manager at Pizza Hut eons ago and most of the full time waitresses made more money than I did.

Here's why your argument fails.

Eating out at a restaurant. Any restaurant. Is a luxury, not a necessity.

Everyone can either purchase at a market. Grow. Or hunt for their food, and prepare it at home.

No restaurant is entitled to pay wages that differ from the requirements anyother business is required to pay by state or federal minimums.

No restaurant is entitled to special rules governing employees, that no other business is exempt from.

Any restaurant should be required to play by the same rules anyother business is required to.

If any restaurant can't survive on it's business model under the same rules as anyother business. That restaurant can fail just like anyother business with a business model that doesn't allow it to succeed.

Fuck a restaurant. America would be better off without the majority of them. People should learn how to prepare their own food for themselve's and their families at home. Eating out is a luxury. Period.

If a restaurant is only putting out $2.15 an hour, that is less than $20 a shift

If the workers don’t like the working conditions you are demanding for your $20 bucks, I can see why they stay home

A youngish friend of mine used to teach at the Ritz Carleton in Ft Lauderdale.. She's a real pro. She's in Savannah now at a wonderful small restaurant called Terra Mia.. The food is incredible thanks to a gifted young chef with a delicate hand. The owner stays in his office all day smoking dope and parties with teenagers after the restaurant closes... He is also given to abusive outbursts.

I think his whole staff and chef may walk.

I do what I can to support the waiters and waiters when eating out. They work darn hard and they used to get way under $2 per hour. Unfortunately, small business restaurants are having trouble keeping their doors open, so instead of $11 for a lunch at Denny's I paid $18 and the unit had maybe 6 customers on Friday, I left yet a bigger tip because I saw hurt there. I guess I will have to stop eating out because as a senior on a fixed income, I can't pay $25 for eating out for the rest of my life cor a single meal without fried food with high cholesterol. There are no fast food restaurants that serve a lot of vegetables needed for their cancer fighting properties when cooked properly. Just saying.

Restaurants are complaining they can’t get good wait staff

When you are only putting up $2.13 an hour, you have nothing to complain about
Yet, when they are told that they can make upward of 200 per day...

They absolutely have nothing to complain about.

I do what I can to support the waiters and waiters when eating out. They work darn hard and they used to get way under $2 per hour. Unfortunately, small business restaurants are having trouble keeping their doors open, so instead of $11 for a lunch at Denny's I paid $18 and the unit had maybe 6 customers on Friday, I left yet a bigger tip because I saw hurt there. I guess I will have to stop eating out because as a senior on a fixed income, I can't pay $25 for eating out for the rest of my life cor a single meal without fried food with high cholesterol. There are no fast food restaurants that serve a lot of vegetables needed for their cancer fighting properties when cooked properly. Just saying.

We too try to go to as many small, local places as we can. Though last month we were travelling and my wife had a hankering for pancakes and we saw an IHOP and thought what the hey. It was probably 8 in the morning and there was one person working the floor. He was waiting all the tables and was the cashier. Hell, he might have been cooking the food for all I know. He was busting his ass. We talked with him a bit about the short manning and he told us he works a different place in the evenings and they are hurting just as bad. Comparatively speaking service was not great, but damn if he was not trying. His tip was more than 100% of the bill, not that a IHOP bill is all that big.

Yet, when they are told that they can make upward of 200 per day...

They absolutely have nothing to complain about.
But Restaurants aren’t paying that $200 a day, diners are

Workers are telling restaurants to get lost

They can make that much, but how many do?
Everyone of them who hustles for it.

That is why the term is used, "up to".

They use that term for wage jobs too. Construction worker pays up to 35 per hour, depending upon experience.

So, I won't be shedding tears over wait staff making 150 to 200 a day and getting paid ONLY 2.13 an hour.

Forum List

Back