Restaurateur Defied Maine Gov To Open His Business, State Agents Are Moving To Shut Him Down

Since when did governors become the final arbiter of who is allowed to open and who gets prosecuted for not obeying their god like orders?
Business licenses.
Since when is operating a business illegal?

When you don't pay off the right people to get the right certificates, permits, and licenses.

It's all a racket.

It’s all for your safety you know. And if you don’t buy that it’s “for the children”.

Ultimately, the people need to raise the stakes and stop this authoritarianism. The people have the power but they're gonna have to use it or these little tin pot authoritarian governors, mayors, local officials are gonna keep pushing that boot deeper into the neck.
When south Texas floods the government should say.....you're on your own?
I was at ground zero in H-town during Hurricane Harvey and I didn't see any feds...... we handled shit ourselves.

Ultimately, the people need to raise the stakes and stop this authoritarianism. The people have the power but they're gonna have to use it or these little tin pot authoritarian governors, mayors, local officials are gonna keep pushing that boot deeper into the neck.
When south Texas floods the government should say.....you're on your own?
I was at ground zero in H-town during Hurricane Harvey and I didn't see any feds...... we handled shit ourselves.
US and the Cajun Navy, can't forget about thise coon-ass neighbors of ours. ;)

There is nothing unconstitutional about it. There are no separation of powers issues. The Governor has the power to do this in a emergency.

I'm not familiar with the Maine state constitution and I doubt you are either, hence the reason I specifically said "power they arguably don't have." Nonetheless, an emergency does not give them unlimited power to do what ever it is they want. There are limits.
Not according to that Michigan Court. That judge seems to think any "emergency" give government unlimited power with no level of scrutiny whatsoever.

The Michigan court ruled that the Governor was working within the law. How To Think About Government Emergency Powers
Michigan shopped for a Democratic judge with liberal leanings and one that could be bought. His ruling does not men shit

“You can’t [extend the emergency order] three days before it [expires]. It doesn’t work,” Savage said. “We had food ordered. We were making chowders and chilis and all that stuff. And we’re like, ‘No, we’re opening.’ We’re clean, we can give people social distancing, we can do it right.”

Business owners and others are expected to protest against Mills’ order in Augusta on Saturday.

And that's one of the big problems facing small businesses all across the country in the face of so many politicians' indecisiveness. Our governor's initial shut down order was set to expire at midnight on May 1st and he waited until April 30th to say he was extending it to May 15th. He got a lot of criticism for that, even by the media, surprisingly, because people don't know what to expect and can't make any plans.

In Maine's case, I can't see Janet Mills' scientific justification for extending her order another month when there have only been 55 deaths in her state and it is largely rural. It doesn't make any sense and she's making these decisions all on her own without any input from the state assembly or the business community. That is not how our government is meant to function. We don't elect monarchs. We have separation of powers for a reason. It takes a lot of courage to do what Savage is doing and I hope other businesses follow suit and open up around the state as well. Too many mayors and governors are consolidating power they arguably don't have and need to be reminded who they work for.

There is nothing unconstitutional about it. There are no separation of powers issues. The Governor has the power to do this in a emergency.

Not true.
It is not a legal emergency unless martial law is declared.
As long as there is a legislature in charge, then a governor can NOT do this.
This is not within the power of the executive if there is a legislature capable of being in session.
This requires a law, and governors can not create law unless there is no legislature available.

I'm not familiar with the Maine state constitution and I doubt you are either, hence the reason I specifically said "power they arguably don't have." Nonetheless, an emergency does not give them unlimited power to do what ever it is they want. There are limits.
Not according to that Michigan Court. That judge seems to think any "emergency" give government unlimited power with no level of scrutiny whatsoever.

The Michigan court ruled that the Governor was working within the law. How To Think About Government Emergency Powers

The courts are wrong.
As long as the legislature is able to meet and the threat is a slow virus with only a 0.015 death rate, then this is an incredible abuse of power. The governor needs immediate impeachment.

My favorite Mexican restaurant is still closed in MN.

Why do liberals hate Mexican business owners?
They don't have takeout?
Takeout doesn't bring the income of sit down customers who have cocktails, where the real profit is.
Now that I answered your question.
So, why do liberals hate Mexican business owners? No dodging.

They don't have takeout?
Takeout doesn't bring the income of sit down customers who have cocktails, where the real profit is.
In California and Nevada you bring home the margaritas too! As of April 16th so do yours!

Since when did governors become the final arbiter of who is allowed to open and who gets prosecuted for not obeying their god like orders?
Business licenses.
Yep....... of course the response to them pulling the licenses is going back to the old speakeasy model.
The vast majority of States have drive-up beer and liquor at restaurants. But you're gong to have to wait for a rub-and-tug.

They don't have takeout?
In California and Nevada you bring home the margaritas too! As of April 16th so do yours!
Only a six pack of beer or a bottle of wine.
I want a house Margarita and to sit in the dining establishment. If big box retail can handle 300 customers, I think the poor Mexican business owner can handle a couple of dozen.
Now why do liberals not trust the Mexican?
You still dodged.

Business licenses.

When you don't pay off the right people to get the right certificates, permits, and licenses.

It's all a racket.
I've applied for and received approximately 60 business licenses in the past 42 years and I've never had to "pay-off" people.

They don't have takeout?
I want a house Margarita and to sit in the dining establishment. If big box retail can handle 300 customers, I think the poor Mexican business owner can handle a couple of dozen.
You still dodged.
That's because you live in "mini-sota" and all restaurants have to live with the same laws.

They don't have takeout?
You still dodged.
That's because you live in "mini-sota" and all restaurants have to live with the same laws.
Got it.
The liberals hate ALL restaurant and small business owners as big box retail assures that the virus will spread and herd immunity will happen.

Thank you.

They don't have takeout?
You still dodged.
Got it.
The liberals hate ALL restaurant and small business owners as big box retail assures that the virus will spread and herd immunity will happen.

Thank you.
Your skidmark is the reason we are all here in this time, not liberals. I have four bipartisan MOC's that prove that.

Business licenses.

It's all a racket.
I've applied for and received approximately 60 business licenses in the past 42 years and I've never had to "pay-off" people.
Must be nice, where do you operate?

Business licenses.
Yep....... of course the response to them pulling the licenses is going back to the old speakeasy model.
The vast majority of States have drive-up beer and liquor at restaurants. But you're gong to have to wait for a rub-and-tug.
I can drink for less at my home, I go to the bar to socialize.

“You can’t [extend the emergency order] three days before it [expires]. It doesn’t work,” Savage said. “We had food ordered. We were making chowders and chilis and all that stuff. And we’re like, ‘No, we’re opening.’ We’re clean, we can give people social distancing, we can do it right.”

Business owners and others are expected to protest against Mills’ order in Augusta on Saturday.

And that's one of the big problems facing small businesses all across the country in the face of so many politicians' indecisiveness. Our governor's initial shut down order was set to expire at midnight on May 1st and he waited until April 30th to say he was extending it to May 15th. He got a lot of criticism for that, even by the media, surprisingly, because people don't know what to expect and can't make any plans.

In Maine's case, I can't see Janet Mills' scientific justification for extending her order another month when there have only been 55 deaths in her state and it is largely rural. It doesn't make any sense and she's making these decisions all on her own without any input from the state assembly or the business community. That is not how our government is meant to function. We don't elect monarchs. We have separation of powers for a reason. It takes a lot of courage to do what Savage is doing and I hope other businesses follow suit and open up around the state as well. Too many mayors and governors are consolidating power they arguably don't have and need to be reminded who they work for.

She needs to have a Civil RICO launched up her ass. I suggested that to Joey Gilbert up here in Carson City today at the protest that went on at the Capitol.

He did say that he would represent any business that was persecuted by sisolak pro bono.

Forum List

Back