Restaurateur Defied Maine Gov To Open His Business, State Agents Are Moving To Shut Him Down

Since when did governors become the final arbiter of who is allowed to open and who gets prosecuted for not obeying their god like orders?

Since the people of their states allowed them to out of fear. That's the problem. They will get away with as much as they think they can as long as they can.
True. And unfortunately it’s now going to take unrest and major legal battles to put them back in their place.

Like we were warned. It’s much harder to get liberty back once it’s lost.
Communism. You can vote yourself in but you must shoot your way out.

she's making these decisions all on her own without any input from the state assembly or the business community.
The state assembly had to approve extending the State of Emergency by day 80, and they did. The Maine Chamber of Commerce backed her decision to Order non essential businesses closed (including eat-in restaurants) on March 24.
But that was March and April. The business community went along but now tourist season is approaching.

Tourism is a big industry in Maine and in some areas (like where I live) the population doubles in the summer, doubling sales in every business we've got. Some small motels and take out stands, plus all the summer cottage rentals, are summer only. In places like Bar Harbor, which is much more famous, I'm sure it is much more drastic than that.

The governor's plan says no visitors from out of state 'til August. That ain't gonna fly with the tourism industry or any business that gets a huge boost in revenue from tourists.

BUT speaking as someone in a very rural county that has only had two cases of Covid 19 total, and both have recovered, no active cases now, IF we do get hit with the Virus, it will be from tourists when they are allowed.

Republicans in the State Legislature are calling to convene to revoke the Governor's emergency powers. They are openly saying "Let the tourists come!!!" They are no doubt speaking for their constituents. This is killing them. But in Southern Maine, so is Covid. If we open up to tourists we will be flooded by folks from Massachusetts where the Virus is still highly active. We have visitors from every state in the country in summer, but Massachusetts the most. It's a short ride;

There were hundreds of protesters in Augusta yesterday showing their displeasure. I agree with you that Governor Mills has relied on the science/medical experts and discussions with the other governors in making her decisions, without a lot of input from the business community -- at least her pressers are always with the Maine CDC spokesman and not the Chamber of Commerce. But part of that is probably because she knows what they are going to say. Perhaps her reopening plan is too cautious, but I'm thinking she is not wanting the people "from away" here with the Germ and she is hoping by August the other states will have simmered down as well.

The Republicans are the minority in the State Legislature right now, but Democrats from areas relying on tourism may feel compelled to stop the Governor, as well.

She began with "recommendations." Maybe she'll need to go back to that. I don't know. I'd like my favorite diner reopened, not to have to wear a mask, but even more than that, I'd like to be able to go out without having to worry about the goddamned VIRUS. The Governor doesn't have that power. Only Mother Nature does.

I agree only Mother Nature does. Since the Governor IS NOT Mother Nature, I say let the brewery/restaurant owner take the natural means to an end in order to find out if it's okay to open.

Do you like running cover for fascist Governors?
DTMB is not from Maine. I was just explaining what was behind this. I am not condoning or condemning Governor Mills. I am explaining what's what.

It's cause you're talking outta yer' ass, as usual.
After all I just wrote and I quoted the Maine law? What part of that is "talking outta my ass?"

The Maine governor does not have scientific grounds to continue the lock down.
She is relying on evidence, recommendations and projections from the CDC. If you want to battle it out with the health experts and epidemiologists, I'd like to see your credentials, please.

The W.H.O. accepts China's bullshit, hook, line, and sinker; and the CDC are the new version of the Keystone Cops.
You're so F'in gullible, your face is eternally numb!
Anyone can repeat partisan talking points and call names. You haven't said one single thing that backs up your highly partisan "opinions." I have been talking specifically about Maine. I tried providing some facts. Those apparently mean nothing to you.

Maybe they'll mean something to DTMB, who is not as big a waste of time to talk to.

The Maine Governor took away his business and liquor license and is smashing him like a bug.
Only a Dimm could cheer for this shit!

Gee, you fools wanted Colin Kaepernick fired for taking a knee - which was LEGAL. He lost his livelihood. You didn't have a problem with that. In fact, you cheered it. But this businessman broke the law, endangered the public health and other peoples' lives, and you say that nothing should happen to him.

Every little thing you've done over the years to supress people who didn't believe like you did. You wanted people to run down protestors with their cars when they were protesting Trump. Now, they carry guns into the State House and your cheering them to shoot someone.

Conservatives are nothing if not hypocrites.

The Maine Governor took away his business and liquor license and is smashing him like a bug.

Gee, you fools wanted Colin Kaepernick fired for taking a knee - which was LEGAL. He lost his livelihood. You didn't have a problem with that. In fact, you cheered it. But this businessman broke the law, endangered the public health and other peoples' lives, and you say that nothing should happen to him.

Every little thing you've done over the years to supress people who didn't believe like you did. You wanted people to run down protestors with their cars when they were protesting Trump. Now, they carry guns into the State House and your cheering them to shoot someone.

Mother Nature took care of Kap. He couldn't complete passes anymore to save his playing career. So he became a cum-sucking social justice warrior.
You can't fool Mother Nature! :laughing0301:

Mother Nature took care of Kap. He couldn't complete passes anymore to save his playing career. So he became a cum-sucking social justice warrior.
You can't fool Mother Nature! :laughing0301:

Mother Nature is taking care of these protestors too, but it’s putting the rest of us at risk. Especially American health care workers.

Those preachers who kept their churches open were doing it for the collection plates and nothing more. That’s not caring for your flock.

These people who refuse to wear masks to protect their neighbours, do they refuse to wear condoms to protect from STD’s?

There is nothing unconstitutional about it. There are no separation of powers issues. The Governor has the power to do this in a emergency.

I'm not familiar with the Maine state constitution and I doubt you are either, hence the reason I specifically said "power they arguably don't have." Nonetheless, an emergency does not give them unlimited power to do what ever it is they want. There are limits.
There is a law granting her those powers in an emergency. This is 37-B §742, Emergency Proclamation

C. After the filing of the emergency proclamation and in addition to any other powers conferred by law, the Governor may:
(1) Suspend the enforcement of any statute prescribing the procedures for conduct of state business, or the orders or rules of any state agency, if strict compliance with the provisions of the statute, order or rule would in any way prevent, hinder or delay necessary action in coping with the emergency;
(2) Utilize all available resources of the State Government and of each political subdivision of the State as reasonably necessary to cope with the disaster emergency;
(3) Transfer the direction, personnel or functions of state departments and agencies, or units thereof, for the purposes of performing or facilitating emergency services;
(4) Authorize the obtaining and acquisition of property, supplies and materials pursuant to section 821;
(5) Enlist the aid of any person to assist in the effort to control, put out or end the emergency or aid in the caring for the safety of persons;
(6) Direct and compel the evacuation of all or part of the population from any stricken or threatened area within the State, if the Governor determines this action necessary for the preservation of life or other disaster mitigation, response or recovery;
(7) Prescribe routes, modes of transportation and destinations in connection with evacuations;
(8) Control ingress and egress to and from a disaster area, the movement of persons within the area and the occupancy of premises therein;
(9) Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing or transportation of alcoholic beverages, explosives and combustibles;
(10) Make provision for the availability and use of temporary emergency housing;
(11) Order the termination, temporary or permanent, of any process, operation, machine or device which may be causing or is understood to be the cause of the state of emergency for which this proclamation was made; and
(12) Take whatever action is necessary to abate, clean up or mitigate whatever danger may exist within the affected area. [PL 2011, c. 626, §2 (AMD).]

I understand she has emergency power, but those powers have limits and they need to be executed responsibly. The fact that she is allegedly not even being responsive to members of the state legislature make me question her motives and suspect that she knows she's crossing a line. In my opinion, there is no state of emergency in Maine. You have 1.3 million people in your state and a total of 57 deaths. In deaths per million you rank 35 out of 50 states. Your state has been shrinking economically for decades and now more than 10% of you are unemployed directly because of her actions.

Governors are not monarchs. In a representative republic, a responsible leader would be making these decisions in conjunction with local elected representatives, health officials, and the business community, not completely on her own.

This sort of behaviour should be criminal, it is certainly stupid as are the lock down protests.

Let me give an example, in World War Two about 3% of the global population died.

The final death morality rate of the Spanish Flu of those infected had a morality rate of 2.5%.

Right now the global mortality rate of those infected with this virus in the USA is 5.79!%
In some countries higher such as Italy 13.8%, France 14.47% and the UK with 15.8%!

https://www.cebm.net/c…/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/
Just in the initial wave.

It is serious you slack jawed, banjo playing, gun waving hicks.

Think of your fellow human beings and stay the fuck home.

Last edited:
He is a traitor to his community, country and human civilisation itself.

Throw him in prison.
Pretty much every bad thing that happens in life is made worse by people who think like you.

COVID 19 ain't the disease that should keep folks up nights, people like you are.

Go take a nap on some train tracks why don't you?

Yes, this is not a serious virus.

It is all a conspiracy to take a freedom you are too much of a half wit to use in any constructive manner to help humanity in the first place.

The saving grace of all this is you are probably one of the Amuuuurican monkies who will probably get it and die.

If there is a God that is.

Do not be offended, there is no God so you are safe.

If not from the virus, blissful ignorance of fear of what it really is.
I know what it is, I work in an ER.

I know exactly how dangerous it is, and to who, and I also know how dangerous this lockdown is, to all of us, and how much damage it is causing.

I stand by what I said.

Go find some tracks.

I have a friend who really does work in a New York ER and there is no way she is saying lockdown is unnecessary.

Throw him in prison.
Pretty much every bad thing that happens in life is made worse by people who think like you.

COVID 19 ain't the disease that should keep folks up nights, people like you are.

It is all a conspiracy to take a freedom you are too much of a half wit to use in any constructive manner to help humanity in the first place.

The saving grace of all this is you are probably one of the Amuuuurican monkies who will probably get it and die.

I know exactly how dangerous it is, and to who, and I also know how dangerous this lockdown is, to all of us, and how much damage it is causing.

I stand by what I said.

Go find some tracks.

I have a friend who really does work in a New York ER and there is no way she is saying lockdown is unnecessary.
Ask her if she and the rest of her coworkers have been tested..... because that's something we have all been wondering about. Why haven't we been tested? Doesn't that seem like it would be valuable data to have?

And yet we have seen no effort, at all, to test any of us...
Does that seem strange to anyone but me?

Kaepernick was taking the spotlight away from the military in which the anthem was saluting. But when it comes to sports, have the congress break up the Cable TV draconian rules on subscribers. Let us pick our channels. And if someone wants sports channels they can do what they want. because those channels will go premium and the subscriber will get what he/she pays for. Sports are to expensive now. Same for the rest of the channels. Ala Carte!

Throw him in prison.

I stand by what I said.

Go find some tracks.

Ask her if she and the rest of her coworkers have been tested..... because that's something we have all been wondering about. Why haven't we been tested? Doesn't that seem like it would be valuable data to have?

Good question, test rates in the USA have been some of the lowest, even in Australia where we have the highest test rate per population, there is an outcry not all health workers are being tested.

Throw him in prison.

I stand by what I said.

Go find some tracks.

Testing is still a total mess and many states have essentially stopped testing until it's sorted out.

Trump's hand picked, inexperienced and unqualified head of the CDC, Dr. Redfield, botched the roll out of the first test, which still doesn't work properly. Of course, unlike the previous head of the CDC, who Trump fired, Redfield has never run an operation like the CDC, or worked on a pandemic.

After the CDC failed to get out any functioning tests, Trump gave Big Pharma the virus DNA and told them to make their own tests. They didn't have to submit them to the CDC for testing and certification, when you get a good test, sell it to the states. This has resulted in a patchwork quilt of testing as each lab has it's own test, with it's own protocols, processes and equipment. Some work better than others. The Abbott Laboratories 15 minute test, is only 80% accurate. With a virus this contagious, missing one in 5 cases is a recipe for disaster.

States complain that the tests are expensive and they don't know until after they boy them whether they're any good or not. Scammers abound. The states have now demanded that the CDC certify one test and one test only for mass manufacture and distrbution in the US, so that the USA can establish a robust, low cost and accurate testing system.

Trump's focus since the beginning has been the economy. I firmly believe that Trump refused to take the WHO test because more money could be made by American labs if they owned the rights to the test, not the World Health Organization. Instead, failure to get testing quickly available to all points of entry and all hospitals will be found to be the original sin of this pandemic.

Now, with numbers of both cases and deaths, skyrocking in the USA, and the public becoming more and more disgruntled. Trump has washed his hands of testing, and some red state governors are cutting testing to help him lie about cases and deaths.

Party before country. Always.

It was temporarily revoked, to keep him from opening until he legally gets to do such, on June 1st, with all other law abiding restaurant owners.

Throw him in prison.

I stand by what I said.

Go find some tracks.

Testing is still a total mess and many states have essentially stopped testing until it's sorted out.

Trump's hand picked, inexperienced and unqualified head of the CDC, Dr. Redfield, botched the roll out of the first test, which still doesn't work properly. Of course, unlike the previous head of the CDC, who Trump fired, Redfield has never run an operation like the CDC, or worked on a pandemic.

After the CDC failed to get out any functioning tests, Trump gave Big Pharma the virus DNA and told them to make their own tests. They didn't have to submit them to the CDC for testing and certification, when you get a good test, sell it to the states. This has resulted in a patchwork quilt of testing as each lab has it's own test, with it's own protocols, processes and equipment. Some work better than others. The Abbott Laboratories 15 minute test, is only 80% accurate. With a virus this contagious, missing one in 5 cases is a recipe for disaster.

States complain that the tests are expensive and they don't know until after they boy them whether they're any good or not. Scammers abound. The states have now demanded that the CDC certify one test and one test only for mass manufacture and distrbution in the US, so that the USA can establish a robust, low cost and accurate testing system.

Trump's focus since the beginning has been the economy. I firmly believe that Trump refused to take the WHO test because more money could be made by American labs if they owned the rights to the test, not the World Health Organization. Instead, failure to get testing quickly available to all points of entry and all hospitals will be found to be the original sin of this pandemic.

Now, with numbers of both cases and deaths, skyrocking in the USA, and the public becoming more and more disgruntled. Trump has washed his hands of testing, and some red state governors are cutting testing to help him lie about cases and deaths.

Party before country. Always.
You should read a book called "The Last Centurion " by John Ringo. I first read it over 10 years ago, and I'm re-reading it now.

Ultimately, the people need to raise the stakes and stop this authoritarianism. The people have the power but they're gonna have to use it or these little tin pot authoritarian governors, mayors, local officials are gonna keep pushing that boot deeper into the neck.
When south Texas floods the government should say.....you're on your own?

Is that a threat, give up your rights or else the government services you paid for are withheld?

Nobody is being asked to give up their rights. People are being asked to behave responsibility during a pandemic.

My father and older brothers were asked to quit their jobs, join the military and fight World War II and they did it without hesitation. My oldest brother carried shrapnell in his body from his wounds on Juno Beach during D-day, until the day he died. You're being asked to sit on your ass at home and you're not prepared to do that.

But shutting down the economy and preventing herd immunity does NOT aid the country.
The Lock Down saves no lives at all, but only slows down the infection rate, thus making it last longer and kill more people.
If instead we asked for volunteers, like we did in WWII, then we could deliberately infect the young and healthy with the strain of COVID that is not lethal, and have this all over in 2 weeks.
The least deaths comes from achieving 55% herd immunity as quickly as possible.
And by speeding it up, then the compromised have much less chance of accidental exposure.

1. THE USA HAS NOT SHUT DOWN. You've have pockets and districts which have shut down, but the USA has not shut down, and unless and until you do, the virus will continue to rage out of control. There has been no national shut down.

2. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF HERD IMMUNITY IN THIS DISEASE. There are numerous cases in both South Korea and Italy where individuals who have had covid19 are getting it for a second time. We won't have any information on this until testing is complete, so it may be months away before we know one way or another for certain.

3. THE GOAL WAS TO SLOW INFECTION SO THAT HOSPITALS AREN'T OVERWHELMED Ask the health care workers in the hot spot zones, what the shut down is doing for them. Hospitals in hot zones are overwhelmed. The staff are working long hours with no PPE's. Many are getting sick and more than a few have died. The USA has less than 1 million hospital beds in total, and on any given day, 700,000 of those beds are full of patients with heart attacks, cancer, and various surgeries. There are only about 300,000 beds in the USA available for this pandemic and as of this morning, you have 920,000 people sick with this virus.

Your rate of illness continues to rise. Yesterday was the worst day for death in the USA since this started. Unless and until the entire country shuts down for a least a month, stopping this virus is just going to be a game of whack-a-mole, and your economy will continue to suffer.

Here in Ontario, we shut down in early March and we haven't re-opened. Of course we had tests and PPE's from day one because we have a government who learned from SARS and H1N1, and we were ready. We never ran out and we tested everyone coming in from hot zones. Our infections took off when we called Canadians home from the USA, where the virus was already out of control, but we even succeeded in shutting those infections down.

Our "closed cases" now triple our active cases. When the Premier announced a week ago that our closed cases exceeded our active cases, he announced the schools would stay closed until June 1st.

Tomorrow, our construction industry re-opens. All workers must have face shields, masks and gloves. That's what happens when you do the smart thing and #StayTheFuckAtHome.

That is completely wrong,

1. The lock down means you are required to stay at home unless you are one of essential services like food distribution. While big businesses like Costco and Walmart have bribed governors into remaining open, that is only because they sell food. Everything else is shut down. I don't know anyone allowed to be open except food distribution.
And the shut down does NOT at all reduce infection or death totals. It slows down infection rate a little, but that only delays herd immunity, which is the only means of ending it since there is no vaccine. And that increases the death total, not decreases it.
The only thing that can control any epidemic is herd immunity.

2. All viruses have always hard herd immunity through out all of human evolution, or else we would have gone extinct. Not only has there never been a single case of anyone getting COVID-19 a second time, but if you could, there would have been no peak or decline. The cases where people claimed to get it twice, likely was from getting a bacterial pneumonia or flu instead of COVID-19. We have antibodies as proof. And those antibodies have been used to cure others. So herd immunity is absolute. There is no question about it.

3. Yes initially there was a point to slow the infection rate to prevent hospital overloading, but now half the hospital staff is being laid off with nothing to do. There no longer is any risk of hospital overloading.

And you lie when you say the rate of infect continues to climb.
It has drastically reduced.
The entire country of the US has peaked and stabilized at far less than the peak.

Nor did any of your businesses ever have to shut down.
With masks and PPE, you could have continued with business as usual, right from the beginning.
This COVID-19 is not at all that contagious. It has a R0 of less than 2 it turns out.
The entire lock down was a fraud deliberately orchestrated to cause panic and hysteria.

“You can’t [extend the emergency order] three days before it [expires]. It doesn’t work,” Savage said. “We had food ordered. We were making chowders and chilis and all that stuff. And we’re like, ‘No, we’re opening.’ We’re clean, we can give people social distancing, we can do it right.”

Business owners and others are expected to protest against Mills’ order in Augusta on Saturday.

And that's one of the big problems facing small businesses all across the country in the face of so many politicians' indecisiveness. Our governor's initial shut down order was set to expire at midnight on May 1st and he waited until April 30th to say he was extending it to May 15th. He got a lot of criticism for that, even by the media, surprisingly, because people don't know what to expect and can't make any plans.

In Maine's case, I can't see Janet Mills' scientific justification for extending her order another month when there have only been 55 deaths in her state and it is largely rural. It doesn't make any sense and she's making these decisions all on her own without any input from the state assembly or the business community. That is not how our government is meant to function. We don't elect monarchs. We have separation of powers for a reason. It takes a lot of courage to do what Savage is doing and I hope other businesses follow suit and open up around the state as well. Too many mayors and governors are consolidating power they arguably don't have and need to be reminded who they work for.
Well, the guy LIED about the governor telling him 3 days before the shutdown was to end, that it was not going to end....

lied lied lied

Around April 15th, two weeks before May 1st, the governor extended the stay at home orders to May 15th.

56 deaths with only around 1100 confirmed cases.... SHOWS that Maine does not have the tests and reagents and swabs to run the testing in any meaningful manner....

the state shows running at a 5% death rate.....!!!!!!!!!! Which is way way way way way higher than the 1% death rate or 0.5% death rate that they estimate this virus to be running....

Our problem in Maine is we do not know how many COVID infections we have in the state.... they are running blind.... hard to make any decisions on reopening or staying shuttered, without knowing how the virus is spreading.

We also have a very unusual situation, with half the homes in the state are owned or occupied in the summer only, they are vacation homes of a gazillion people from out of State, like New Yorkers and Mass-holes..... both areas inundated with the virus.....

And people in those regions with their shutdowns, hightailed it out of Dodge and came here, to their summer homes in Maine..... likely bringing the virus with them... We had a 40% increase in April, of people from other states coming here to their vacation homes....

Until we get enough testing, the governor will have to make some hard decisions....

Here is a link of one of my posts mentioning the extension of stay at home on April 22

WOW! "56 deaths with only around 1100 confirmed cases?" Not enough dead Americans for ya? Commie!

That is silly.
Those 56 deaths are tiny compared to the seasonal flu deaths, and the actual infection rate of COVID-19 is likely over 20 times higher than the confirmed cases because we are not doing universal testing.
The fact the infection rate peaked and dropped proves we MUST have a much higher infection rate, because acquired immunity is the only possible reason for the decrease.

A state of emergency isn't declared when south Texas floods?
:laughing0301:

Completely opposite situation. The Texas governor made declarations because of the damage caused by a natural disaster so that FEMA would help with money for repairs so people could get back to living a normal life.
Money to buy food? Money to sustain businesses? Money to pay rent?

There is nothing wrong with asking for or getting temporary emergency money for food, businesses, rent, etc.
But it is illegal to declare martial law that prevents people from earning money for food, wages, rent, etc., when there are not lives at stake.
And all the models say the Lock Down does not save a single life.
They all say the Lock Down only slows the infection rate down, preventing herd immunity, thus increasing the total number of deaths.
You started off well, then you jumped off the high dive with no water in the pool.

-Who declared "Marshall Law?"

-I'm on self-quarantine, I'm not sick, lock down works.

The only way to violate individual rights is to declare martial law that abrogates rights as the only source of any legal authority in a democratic republic.
A governor can not have that authority until martial law allows the governor to make arbitrary laws.
Until then the governor is constrained by the Constitution and legislative law.

Lock downs do not and can not work.
Sure you are not sick now, but you will be eventually because you don't have an alternative to the food chain.
And the food production chain ensures everyone will come in contact it eventually.

Nor would an intelligent person claim to be safe just because they do not have it now.
Not only do I not have it, but the 500 to 1000 people I know do not have it, and none of them know anyone who actually has it.
Out of 330 million in the US, only 67k have it, so the percentage of those who have it is only 0.019%
So almost no one even knows anyone who has it. The ratio is only 2 out of 10,000 who do have it.

Forum List

Back