Rick Steves says Americans should get used to terrorism

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..
As a lifelong traveler, Steves avows that terrorism is something Americans should get used to, a natural outgrowth of the United States' position in the global community and how it is militarily advanced. In an interview with the Seattle Times, Steves said:

I think we're 300 million people and if we lose a few hundred people a year to terrorists, that doesn't change who we are and it shouldn't change the fabric of our society. Frankly I think we should get used to losing—as long as we're taking the stance in the world of being the military superpower, you're going to have people nipping at you. And if it's hundreds or thousands—we lose 15,000 people a year to have the right to bear arms and most people think that's a good deal, year after year. We spend 15,000 people for the right to bear arms. What do we spend to be as aggressive and heavy weight on this planet? We're always going to have terrorism."[17]

In Travel as a Political Act, Steves wrote that displaying the American flag on car antennas "creates a fearful, schizophrenic dynamic that may stoke today's terrorism and tomorrow's international conflicts."[18
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:
As a lifelong traveler, Steves avows that terrorism is something Americans should get used to, a natural outgrowth of the United States' position in the global community and how it is militarily advanced. In an interview with the Seattle Times, Steves said:

I think we're 300 million people and if we lose a few hundred people a year to terrorists, that doesn't change who we are and it shouldn't change the fabric of our society. Frankly I think we should get used to losing—as long as we're taking the stance in the world of being the military superpower, you're going to have people nipping at you. And if it's hundreds or thousands—we lose 15,000 people a year to have the right to bear arms and most people think that's a good deal, year after year. We spend 15,000 people for the right to bear arms. What do we spend to be as aggressive and heavy weight on this planet? We're always going to have terrorism."[17]

In Travel as a Political Act, Steves wrote that displaying the American flag on car antennas "creates a fearful, schizophrenic dynamic that may stoke today's terrorism and tomorrow's international conflicts."[18

I am afraid you are right.

There is no way the warmongers will cease and desist intervening in the internal affairs of other nations nor defending the Jewish State.

So Grin and Bear it

Seems terrorism is a phase religions go through at the 1400-1500 year point...

... anybody remember what was going on during the 13th and 14th centuries?...

... Does the word Crusades ring a bell?

You're talking about when Christianity defended itself from islam?

Shhhhhhhh, you're destroying the Right Wing narrative of keeping people afraid so they'll fall in line. :)
Steves is correct. We have to be vigilant, but there's a price to be paid for living in a free society with an Imperialist agenda.

I used to watch Rick Steves on PBS alot and enjoyed it. I bet not once would he tour a Muslim enclave in Europe without fearing for his life.

I don't think we should 'get used to it'. It's likely going to continue to happen and we should use all resources to stop it, including sending our military to eliminate their base of operations and the main large groups of these people.

But our support for Israel and our involvement in the complexities of middle eastern religious/political life via our involvement with oil producing nations means we will be a perpetual target for disenfranchised young men there. As long as there are older men who's minds believe they can drag the world back 1500 years and young men who are ignorant and gullible enough to believe killing yourself and other people will give you eternity with endless women and power, this won't stop.

As with mass shootings here and auto accidents you do everything you can to work towards zero casualties, knowing you will never reach that goal.

You're talking about when Christianity defended itself from islam?

As if Islam isn't defending itself from Christianity.

I mean, an invasion of Iraq, the bombing of Libya and Afghanistan, Yemen could be included, the killing of people in Pakistan, the sanctions against Iran, and so on and on and on, do you not think that some Muslims think that they need to fight back?

I used to watch Rick Steves on PBS alot and enjoyed it. I bet not once would he tour a Muslim enclave in Europe without fearing for his life.
He did a show from Iran, which was excellent. His reaction was far from fearful. You should try to watch it.
Iran! I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to research it from the archives and watch it.

I don't think we should 'get used to it'. It's likely going to continue to happen and we should use all resources to stop it, including sending our military to eliminate their base of operations and the main large groups of these people.

But our support for Israel and our involvement in the complexities of middle eastern religious/political life via our involvement with oil producing nations means we will be a perpetual target for disenfranchised young men there. As long as there are older men who's minds believe they can drag the world back 1500 years and young men who are ignorant and gullible enough to believe killing yourself and other people will give you eternity with endless women and power, this won't stop.

As with mass shootings here and auto accidents you do everything you can to work towards zero casualties, knowing you will never reach that goal.

Send military in, get more terrorists, then send military in to defeat terrorists, get more terrorists, send more military in, get more terrorists... when does it stop? When you're dead?

Send military in, get more terrorists, then send military in to defeat terrorists, get more terrorists, send more military in, get more terrorists... when does it stop? When you're dead?

We still have troops in Europe from WW2 to keep them safe. We still have troops in South Korea and Japan.

This is the world. We will have to keep troops in the middle east. Might be for 10 years, might be for 100. They are the ones forcing the response, as with all the others around the world.

We still have troops in Europe from WW2 to keep them safe. We still have troops in South Korea and Japan.

This is the world. We will have to keep troops in the middle east. Might be for 10 years, might be for 100. They are the ones forcing the response, as with all the others around the world.

US troops are not in Europe to keep the Europeans safe. I'm sorry, but they're just not. At the end of the Cold War a lot of bases were closed down, however some were kept open, more for the convenience of the US military and it's attempts to "police" (as if) the world.
The US doesn't have bases in 63 countries to keep them all safe.

liberia_us_military_bases.jpg

The US isn't keep the Australians safe just in case North Korea attacks Australia, nor does it have bases in Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Afghanistan to keep them safe. It has bases in these places for it's own goals.

The UK doesn't have an enemy within 1,000 miles. The nearest would be Russia and it's not even a threat, except for flying planes in airspace.

NATO exists for a purpose. Our troops are there for that purpose.

Why would someone argue about why we have troops in Europe or South Korea. You don't know the last 70 years of history or the history of NATO?

Come on now.

There ONLY thing that DC has to do to stop "terrorism" is cease and desist meddling in the internal affairs of other nations

That's all folks

There ONLY thing that DC has to do to stop "terrorism" is cease and desist meddling in the internal affairs of other nations

That's all folks

It isn't that easy. If Israel didn't exist the problem would go away. But it does and the US is its number one backer. This problem will last for exactly as long as Israel lasts.

Forum List

Back