Rightwing comedians not funny enough for BBC shows, says insider

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016

"The BBC does not book rightwing comedians for its shows because they are not funny enough, according to an individual involved in making some of the corporation’s best-known comedy programmes.

On Monday the Daily Telegraph claimed that the new BBC director general, Tim Davie, was preparing to axe left-leaning comedy shows, such as Radio 4’s The Now Show and Have I Got News For You because they are “unfairly biased against the Tories, Donald Trump and Brexit”, as part of a push to make the corporation’s output appeal to a broader audience."

Since the decline in racist and sexist jokes the right wing finds that it doesnt have any material. Jim Davison, Bernard Manning et al had their own shows and were the Kings of Comedy. But the jokes wore thin as they failed to evolve. Looking at the US comedy scene and comparing it with the UK it is clear that their is no Uk equivalent to right wing Chris Rock. It just isnt happening.

"The BBC does not book rightwing comedians for its shows because they are not funny enough, according to an individual involved in making some of the corporation’s best-known comedy programmes.

On Monday the Daily Telegraph claimed that the new BBC director general, Tim Davie, was preparing to axe left-leaning comedy shows, such as Radio 4’s The Now Show and Have I Got News For You because they are “unfairly biased against the Tories, Donald Trump and Brexit”, as part of a push to make the corporation’s output appeal to a broader audience."

Since the decline in racist and sexist jokes the right wing finds that it doesnt have any material. Jim Davison, Bernard Manning et al had their own shows and were the Kings of Comedy. But the jokes wore thin as they failed to evolve. Looking at the US comedy scene and comparing it with the UK it is clear that their is no Uk equivalent to right wing Chris Rock. It just isnt happening.
Isn't The Guardian enough comedy for you?

It’s funny how they define racist and sexist jokes as “right wing.”
Just about every comedian for the last 30 years have relied on sexist and racist jokes.

The desperation of these lefties is hilarious itself. Now, let’s see you name one standup comedian that is funny that doesn’t use sexist or racist jokes.

Conservative comedy is at best clever sadism. Most of the time it has all the subtlety of a kick to the nuts.

Just about every comedian for the last 30 years have relied on sexist and racist jokes.

The desperation of these lefties is hilarious itself. Now, let’s see you name one standup comedian that is funny that doesn’t use sexist or racist jokes.

The tremendous Don Rickles was a master of Ethnic Humor, yet lived and died as registered liberal.

True story: When Tommy was but a lad he ran into the house where his father was sitting and watching TV and shouted, Dad, Dad, I got laid!

His father said that's great son. Sit down and tell me about it!

To which Tommy rubbed his ass and said, I can't, it hurts.

Looking at the US comedy scene and comparing it with the UK it is clear that their is no Uk equivalent to right wing Chris Rock.

Chris Rock is right wing? LOL!
I do not think that is what they meant - more that there is no equivalent to Chris Rock on the right. Not so sure that is true - more likely most on the right would never admit it considering that the climate is not very accepting in Hollywood in general.

However, Foxworthy and Larry the cable guy both are massive comedic successes and I dare say they are likely right leaning. Daniel Tosh may be as well though he seems to rail on everyone.

The right has endless material since much of the best comedy is self-deprecating. They just lack the balls to constantly poke fun at themselves.

what???to many jokes about 1776 is hurting your feelings???

President Trump is no leftard, and he's as hilarious as hell. Tremendous as coining pet names. The way he tells the story about the "FBI Lovebirds " is great.

“A quota system” for rightwing comedians???

They shouldn’t feel unloved or unappreciated...
Everybody agrees they excel at memes and personal insults.

... and I agree that Trump is a laugh.

The right has endless material since much of the best comedy is self-deprecating. They just lack the balls to constantly poke fun at themselves.
British comedy used to be dominated by right wing comics, they all played golf together,wore golfing sweaters and were desperate to get on a royal Variety show.
Punk killed all that. We got the likes of Rowan Atkinson and Rick Mayall who didnt make racist jokes. The racists were the target. Conservatism in itself isnt funny, its cruel. Folk struggle with it.

Yeah, no one said comedy was gonna be easy. Can't just golf all day and hope everyone forgets being called redundant and shit upon..

Bill Bailey

Forum List

Back