Rightwingers: what do you think of Bernie's plan for free tuition?

The estimated cost per year for the government providing free tuition would be about 60 billion. Bernie would place a tax on Wall Street speculation to pay for it.

Now before you all go into your rants about "liberal free lunch bullshit derp, derp, derp!" you should consider WHY this is a great idea. This isn't about giving individuals hand outs, this is about how higher education benefits the country as a whole. Plenty of intelligent people who cannot afford to go to college or are discouraged by the massive student debt that they would accumulate choose not to attend. Imagine the implications if we had an influx of people getting degrees in science, public policy, or business administration. Don't you think those educated people would bring a great deal of contribution to this country?

Of course it's about "giving individuals handouts." What is wrong with you? There is nothing good to the country about using other people's money to take away people's responsibility to provide for themselves. Government funds it and you just fund a bunch more people who get stupid degrees that don't lead to jobs and continue to skyrocket the cost of education as you pump limitless more unaccountable money into colleges.
Millions of people going to college over time benefits the country as a whole. That is the truth.

Nothing benefits the country as a whole when you remove personal responsibility. You just create inefficient, corrupt wasteful systems
Your political beliefs are almost entirely rooted in philosophy. You say things that just sound like they make sense to you. It doesn't change the irrefutable truth that millions seeking higher education benefits the country as a whole. You also don't seem to realize the amount of hard work that goes into pursuing a degree. Do you really think pursing a degree is not without tremendous personal responsibility?
Wow what a charge: his political beliefs are rooted in philosophy. Shit, not like yours, Billy, eh? Yours are rooted in ignorance and emotion. Shame on Kaz for developing political beliefs that follow from serious thought and study. He ought to just watch kittens being killed and develop his philosophy from that gut reaction.

Again, you throw claims with no substantiation. Because there is none.

The estimated cost per year for the government providing free tuition would be about 60 billion. Bernie would place a tax on Wall Street speculation to pay for it.

Now before you all go into your rants about "liberal free lunch bullshit derp, derp, derp!" you should consider WHY this is a great idea. This isn't about giving individuals hand outs, this is about how higher education benefits the country as a whole. Plenty of intelligent people who cannot afford to go to college or are discouraged by the massive student debt that they would accumulate choose not to attend. Imagine the implications if we had an influx of people getting degrees in science, public policy, or business administration. Don't you think those educated people would bring a great deal of contribution to this country?

The bill plans to cover these costs by initiating a Robin Hood Tax on Wall Street. A .5% speculation fee will be charged on investment houses, hedge funds, and other stock trades. Additionally, a .1% fee will be charged on bonds, and a .005% fee will be charged on derivatives.

Excellent idea! We need to eliminate more of these high paid jobs on Wall Street.
And when the tax drives those jobs away and raises a fraction of the amount needed to fund
this stupid plan, who will he get the money from?

By the way, Robin Hood stole from the tax collectors and gave back to the people.
Given the nature of money management and investment banking that actiivity will easily move off shore, to Ireland or the like. Then libs can complain about Republicans off shoring more jobs.

The bill plans to cover these costs by initiating a Robin Hood Tax on Wall Street. A .5% speculation fee will be charged on investment houses, hedge funds, and other stock trades. Additionally, a .1% fee will be charged on bonds, and a .005% fee will be charged on derivatives.

Excellent idea! We need to eliminate more of these high paid jobs on Wall Street.
And when the tax drives those jobs away and raises a fraction of the amount needed to fund
this stupid plan, who will he get the money from?

By the way, Robin Hood stole from the tax collectors and gave back to the people.
Given the nature of money management and investment banking that actiivity will easily move off shore, to Ireland or the like. Then libs can complain about Republicans off shoring more jobs.

Like Soros did? LOL

Your political beliefs are almost entirely rooted in philosophy. You say things that just sound like they make sense to you

Yes, liberals like telling me that. My view I can take care of myself is "philosophy" and "ideology." Your view government can do it better than you can is just realistic pragmatism. Yeah

It doesn't change the irrefutable truth that millions seeking higher education benefits the country as a whole

It does when they do it themselves, it's not when it's handed to them with no accountability. That drives up cost and drives down quality

You also don't seem to realize the amount of hard work that goes into pursuing a degree

:lmao:

I have a:

BS with a double major in Computer Science and Mathematics from the University of Maryland

MS in Computer Science from Virginia Tech

MBA from Michigan where I finished with High Distinction (top 10% of the class) and in the General Business and Finance honor societies. Tell me again I don't know what it takes.

Do you really think pursing a degree is not without tremendous personal responsibility?

Yes, so is paying for it:

- Maryland. My parents helped me a little, worked nights (network communications Analyst) and did odd jobs on weekends and in summers

- Virginia Tech - did it in two years while working full time so GE would pay for it

- Michigan - paid what I could and borrowed the rest, then paid that off

If you hand people money, they get stupid degrees and the cost of education skyrockets as you pump in unaccountable money. That is happening way too much already with federal free loans

Who is going to pay for that free tuition?

Money just appears out of thin air
You call taxes out of thin air? That's what would pay for it.

Yes, exactly. You'd take billions from people who earned it. You just waive your hands and say it's good for the country and move on that it's OK to further plunder the achievers who drive the economy
Oh right those wall street goons earn every cent they make lol.

So it's OK for you to send guns to confiscate money from them because in your view they are "goons" who probably didn't "earn every cent." Authoritarian leftists set such a high bar for yourselves. Remember that if you ever get robbed, STFU, you probably didn't earn "every cent" so frankly you deserved to get robbed by a guy with a gun because he obviously deserves it more than you do

Wait a minute, what about payback? I paid my way and now I want the government to take over my car payments.

Naaa, all those who paid their own way are shit out of luck. to those on the left this is called, progress. :rolleyes-41:

Lol typically increased demand leads to lower prices, but I don't think that would happen here. You're talking about money that pays professors to do their job. It's not like the institutions are inclined to give these people big pay raises.

Please correct this post, you can't be serious. Increase demand ALWAYS leads to HIGHER prices. Maybe you are being sarcastic, you have to be.

As for wages:

Time.jpg

For the rest of America wages have stagnated.
I don't buy your source at all. The reality is that part time work among professors is on the rise and their salaries have remained flat between 2002 and 2010.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/0...-college-tuition-costs-so-much.html?referrer=

How staff benefits and student services drive up college tuition Education Lab Blog Seattle Times

From you first link, which answers all the statements you have made.

In fact, public investment in higher education in America is vastly larger today, in inflation-adjusted dollars, than it was during the supposed golden age of public funding in the 1960s. Such spending has increased at a much faster rate than government spending in general. For example, the military’s budget is about 1.8 times higher today than it was in 1960, while legislative appropriations to higher education are more than 10 times higher.

In other words, far from being caused by funding cuts, the astonishing rise in college tuition correlates closely with a huge increase in public subsidies for higher education. If over the past three decades car prices had gone up as fast as tuition, the average new car would cost more than $80,000.

Some of this increased spending in education has been driven by a sharp rise in the percentage of Americans who go to college. While the college-age population has not increased since the tail end of the baby boom, the percentage of the population enrolled in college has risen significantly, especially in the last 20 years. Enrollment in undergraduate, graduate and professional programs has increased by almost 50 percent since 1995. As a consequence, while state legislative appropriations for higher education have risen much faster than inflation, total state appropriations per student are somewhat lower than they were at their peak in 1990. (Appropriations per student are much higher now than they were in the 1960s and 1970s, when tuition was a small fraction of what it is today.)

According to your source I will admit to being wrong in blaming the professors, although sources show otherwise professors don't seem to be the problem it is just colleges increasing administration to justify increase in costs.

From your link;

By contrast, a major factor driving increasing costs is the constant expansion of university administration. According to the Department of Education data, administrative positions at colleges and universities grew by 60 percent between 1993 and 2009, which Bloomberg reported was 10 times the rate of growth of tenured faculty positions.

Even more strikingly, an analysis by a professor at California Polytechnic University, Pomona, found that, while the total number of full-time faculty members in the C.S.U. system grew from 11,614 to 12,019 between 1975 and 2008, the total number of administrators grew from 3,800 to 12,183 — a 221 percent increase.
Yes but none of this changes the fact that less college professors are working full time and are being paid flat. While the administrative costs do matter in the issue of rising cost of tuition, it doesn't change the fact that the primary reason for the higher costs is less government funding. These institutions depend on them. It says that in the very text you copied and pasted.

That is a problem with the administration of the college. College administrators, according to you link, are now demanding 7 figure wages. WTF do they do to earn that money?

What do they do? They ride a desk and shuffle papers around.

education should be free to all those willing to learn

Oh gosh, not again, NOTHING in this life is FREE.
Including tax cuts.

OMG is that an interesting statement. The only way it can be true is if you really believe that all our money belongs to the government. A tax cut is the same as the cost of a car being reduced.
You do realize, of course, that besides bloated defense spending, the primary reason our national debt is so high is because of Bush's tax cuts. Cutting revenue means more borrowing.

Bush's tax cuts for the middle class gave them more money to spend on their kids college education.

Rightwingers: what do you think of Bernie's plan for free tuition?

It's not free gawd that was easy, next silly liberal question.

And anytime you get the government involved costs go up....see Obamacare

Wrong...

Are you stating everytime!! Look at VA healthcare costs compared to private.... You're wrong... There is countless times where a society is better to pay for stuff than leave it to private...

Your comment is just plain stupid...

I am glad you mentioned stupid;

"The Veterans Health Administration — to the extent that it does provide care — actually spends vastly more per patient than both the private sector and Medicare, according to a new analysis.

Supporters of the single-payer health-care system run by the Department of Veterans Affairs have argued that the VA needs more money to spend on its patients, but according to a Monday study from the conservative American Action Forum, the VHA already spends more per patient than the rest of the health industry."

Read more: Report VA Health Care Has Highest Adjusted Costs In Nation The Daily Caller

The estimated cost per year for the government providing free tuition would be about 60 billion.
Bullshit. As soon as the government pays for it the tuition will rise to 120 billion. And I don't want to pay for someone's political science degree.

The estimated cost per year for the government providing free tuition would be about 60 billion.
Bullshit. As soon as the government pays for it the tuition will rise to 120 billion. And I don't want to pay for someone's political science degree.
And another Billy Triple Fail failed thread reaches its failure destination. Totally refuted by facts, logic, and common sense.
Poor Billy.

Love seeing the right wingers give the ole 1% their usual weekly BJ.....everything for them nothing for the little man. Even though ALL the little man wants is a chance to not start a career 100k in debt or more.

Love seeing all the CONservatives not giving a shit our taxes go to foreign aid etc now but its HORRIBLE if those taxes instead went to college for people,how about another one I am sure republicans would be against. Setting up a program to simultaneously manufacturing back here by putting large taxes on products made overseas and intending to be sold here and also using abandoned homes for the homeless or underemployed etc to be put back to work and fix homelessness at same time.Bad idea I know...it doesn't benefit the rich.They would have move their companies back here pay legit wages,treat workers like human beings instead of slaves and pay a fair share of corporate taxes.

Love seeing the right wingers give the ole 1% their usual weekly BJ.....everything for them nothing for the little man. Even thougIIh ALL the little man wants is a chance to not start a career 100k in debt or more.

I worked odd jobs for beer money and worked in the school cafeteria for meals in my first two years in college. I saved enough from my summer job to pay my tuition and my dad payed my rent at a boarding house for students. I didn't borrow damned cent. That is what the little man can do if he really wants an education. I did leave after two years and enlist so I could complete my Engineering degree on the GI Bill.

Lol you are so pathetic.
You surrender on this issue is noted and accepted.
Do you even know what point you're trying to make?
The point is made.
The federal government is taking in record revenue by any measure. It isnt revenue, it's the spending, stupid.
No idiot because the debt still skyrocketed under Bush and look how low it was when. This isn't complicated to figure out.
Huh? That's a non sequitur even for you.
Are you denying that revenue to the federal government is as high or higher now, either in dollar term, absolute dollar terms, or as a percentage of GDP, than it has been since 2000?
Here are the actual facts that you are too dumb to grasp:

US Debt by President By Dollar and Percent

Barack Obama - The debt grew the most dollar-wise during President Obama's term. He added $6.167 trillion, a 53% increase, in six years. Obama's budgets included the economic stimulus package, which added $787 billion by cutting taxes, extending unemployment benefits, and funding job-creating public works projects. The Obama tax cuts added $858 billion to the debt over two years. Obama's budget included increased defense spending to around $800 billion a year. Federal income was down, thanks to lower tax receipts from the 2008 financial crisis. He also sponsored the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which was designed to reduce the debt by $143 billion over 10 years. However, these savings didn't show up until the later years. For more, see National Debt Under Obama.

George W. Bush - President Bush added the second greatest amount to the debt, at $5.849 trillion. This more than doubled the debt, which was $5.8 trillion on September 30, 2001 -- the end of FY 2001, which was President Clinton's last budget. Bush responded to the 9/11 attacks by launching the War on Terror. This drove military spending to record levels, $600-$800 billion a year. This included the Iraq War, which cost $807.5 billion. President Bush also responded to the 2001 recession by passing EGTRRA and JGTRRA, otherwise known as the Bush tax cuts, which reduced revenue. He approved a $700 billion bailout package for banks to combat the 2008 global financial crisis. Both Presidents Bush and Obama had to contend with higher mandatory spending for Social Security and Medicare. For more, see President Obama Compared to President Bush Policies.

You surrender on this issue is noted and accepted.
The point is made.
The federal government is taking in record revenue by any measure. It isnt revenue, it's the spending, stupid.
No idiot because the debt still skyrocketed under Bush and look how low it was when. This isn't complicated to figure out.
Are you denying that revenue to the federal government is as high or higher now, either in dollar term, absolute dollar terms, or as a percentage of GDP, than it has been since 2000?

Irrelevant,.
What does debt have to do with revenue to the federal government, BIlly?
You are failing badly. Very badly.

The point is made.

Irrelevant,.
What does debt have to do with revenue to the federal government, BIlly?
You are failing badly. Very badly.
I modified the post showing you the actual content of Bush's and Obama's debt. You're wrong and you know you are wrong.

Forum List

Back