RIP, Pete Seeger

Pete's testimony to HUAC: House Un-American Activities Committee, August 18, 1955

MR. SEEGER: I am not going to answer any questions as to my association, my philosophical or religious beliefs or my political beliefs, or how I voted in any election, or any of these private affairs. I think these are very improper questions for any American to be asked, especially under such compulsion as this. I would be very glad to tell you my life if you want to hear of it.

Seeger was a true American who stood up to the witch hunt.

Pete's testimony to HUAC: House Un-American Activities Committee, August 18, 1955

MR. SEEGER: I am not going to answer any questions as to my association, my philosophical or religious beliefs or my political beliefs, or how I voted in any election, or any of these private affairs. I think these are very improper questions for any American to be asked, especially under such compulsion as this. I would be very glad to tell you my life if you want to hear of it.

Pete never had to tell anyone his philosophy, it was evident in his music. Just imagine how many musicians are playing his songs tonight. And his spirit will be there in every song. Thank you my friend, happy trails.

pete-seeger-photo.jpg
126937-004-843BBFB6.jpg
with the Weavers
pete-seeger-woody.jpg

With Woody Guthrie

PeteWeb.jpg

alm41.jpg

The Almanac Singers: L-R Woody Guthrie, Lee Hays, Millard Lampell, Pete Seeger (1941)​

Last edited:

Seeger was a true American who stood up to the witch hunt.

yep... decades before pansy-ass poseurs came along 'n tried to make themselves out to be sumpin' bigger than they actually were...

The only music I remember playing in my house when I was young was my mother's personal "big three" - Woody, Pete and Harry (Belafonte).

I had the honor and pleasure of meeting Mr. Seeger a few years ago, while I was working in lefty politics in New York City and we got him to tape an ad for us.

This is a sad day - as much as I understand human biology, I never really thought that Pete would ever die.

I grew up listening to Pete Seeger, Arlo (not Woody) Guthrie and Harry Belafonte (beautiful voice). I listened to Woody Guthrie much later in life. Several times Arlo and Pete would come to DC to do a a free show on the Mall for the Folk Life festival and I use to go listen. A long time ago.

I knew it was coming, but he seemed to just keep going on. What an incredible man, he will be missed. :(

Turning points...

In 1950, political interests both national and international, fueling the infamous "red scare", published "Red Channels", subtitled "the report of communist influence in radio and television":

220px-RedChannelsCover.jpg

... listing 151 actors, musicians and others in entertainment to be effectively blacklisted. Pete Seeger's name was on that list, page 130, and he was shunned from network television (among other things) from 1950 until 1967, when the Smothers Brothers, after much hand-wringing negotiation, got CBS to agree to let Pete play on their show. It would be his first appearance on network TV since "Red Channels" was published in 1950.

With CBS President William Paley already getting angry phone calls from Lyndon Johnson though, the show's censors nixed Seeger's rendition of his new song, "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy" as too allegorically pointed at LBJ and the then-hotly controversial war in Vietnam. Ironically, his new record with this song on it was just released on CBS' own record label Columbia, but they weren't having it on their air.

You can see in this clip after the first tune where Tom Smothers is trying to get Pete to introduce "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy" -- which was performed for the show, but then edited out. Notice at 2:57 the sloppy edit where Pete's guitar suddenly turns into a banjo as the audience applauds apparently for no reason:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kajnEIQGINw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kajnEIQGINw[/ame]
(September 10, 1967)​

-- But five months later, after Tom Smothers had kept the censorship story burning in the popular press, CBS relented and allowed Seeger to come back and play the song unedited and the courageous tune came through, February 25, 1968:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3SysxG6yoE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3SysxG6yoE[/ame]

It was a rare zenith of American patriotism. Two days later, Walter Cronkite broadcast, on the same CBS network, "A Report from Vietnam" which seriously questioned the US role there. By the end of the following month with popular opinion following the lead of Seeger and Cronkite, Lyndon Johnson announced he would not seek re-election.

"You could be a great singer, you could be a great instrumentalist, and you could be a great songwriter. But you could never be Pete Seeger unless you embraced humanity the way he does." --- Mason Williams

(Source: David Bianculli, "Dangerously Funny", Touchstone 2009)

Last edited:
Maybe the good Lord just wanted a little pickin' too.

"If there's a rock and roll heaven then you know they have a hell of a band." I'll bet Jimi and Janet are jammin' to folk music today.

"If there's a rock and roll heaven then you know they have a hell of a band." I'll bet Jimi and Janet are jammin' to folk music today.

"Janet" ? Janet who ?

"Janet" ? Janet who ?

Joplin?
and
Hendricks.

That would be Janis, not Janet. And Hendrix, not Hendricks.

Of course I meant Janis.... but will try to lie my way out of it by saying I meant Janet Davis, a bluegrass guru who released a lotta "how to" books on playing bluegrass.

:oops:

"Janet" ? Janet who ?

Joplin?
and
Hendricks.

Of course I meant Janis.... but will try to lie my way out of it by saying I meant Janet Davis, a bluegrass guru who released a lotta "how to" books on playing bluegrass.

Your "Oops" sign should read "OCD".
Just sayin'.

Your "Oops" sign should read "OCD".
Just sayin'.

What is "OCD" ?

Pete Seeger...your get up and go has got up and went...but you had a great ride :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J0Q5SMTEM0]Pete Seeger - Get Up And Go - YouTube[/ame]

The only music I remember playing in my house when I was young was my mother's personal "big three" - Woody, Pete and Harry (Belafonte).

I had the honor and pleasure of meeting Mr. Seeger a few years ago, while I was working in lefty politics in New York City and we got him to tape an ad for us.

This is a sad day - as much as I understand human biology, I never really thought that Pete would ever die.

In a way, men and women like Seeger never do die. For the music they gave us lives on in each one of us, and for the generations to come. Pete was an Original, and the same man whereever he was, and whatever company he was in. A great American, a man that will be missed, and whose imprint on this nation will remain for many generations.

Forum List

Back