Rita McNeill died most of you will not know her

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
She was one of my favorite east coast singers.

There was a heartbreaking turning point in music. Rita was huge. As a human being. But her voice was like a small angel.

But when we hit videos; she was not "acceptable" I guess.

When Doug from A&M asked me to try to work her in Nashville and I had to tell him this show won't go; it had to be one of the most worst moments of my life. But that's the way it was going those days.

Rest in peace baby. Love you Rita. You sang with the men of the deep. Love you girl.

Last edited:
You can always listen to her on YouTube!:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-EiwiiAh68]Working Man sung by Rita MacNeil - YouTube[/ame]

RIP. No I've not heard of her.
Am curious if, looking back, you have regrets about the Nashville decision.

I had to be honest. I had to tell him for true. And Doug was one of my favorite souls in the business. Ok this will lay it on the line. They were breaking out Shania Twain.

Don't get me going on this. :eusa_angel: There was no way on the planet I could work for all my magic for all my talent to break out Rita vs Shania.

We'd shifted from voices to video. It was all in the "look". Rita had her hands down with her unreal voice.

Don't get me wrong though. I worked magic through radio. Nothing is an image. Only the voice.

images

images

There was a heartbreaking turning point in music. Rita was huge. As a human being. But her voice was like a small angel.

When Doug from A&M asked me to try to work her in Nashville and I had to tell him this show won't go; it had to be one of the most worst moments of my life. But that's the way it was going those days.

Rest in peace baby. Love you Rita. You sang with the men of the deep. Love you girl.
RIP
[ame=http://youtu.be/2AqxItxZYA8]Rita MacNeil Home I'll Be - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe this will explain it better. I got my Juno award for working a song called "All our tomorrows" For you in the states a Juno = Grammy.

Eddie is no hunk. Writes awesome tunes (damn I hope some kids remember Hit me with your Best Shot)

But everyone was putting out photo bands. So we were competing on airwaves with MTV's hot band du jour.

Maybe this will explain it better. I got my Juno award for working a song called "All our tomorrows" For you in the states a Juno = Grammy.

Eddie is no hunk. Writes awesome tunes (damn I hope some kids remember Hit me with your Best Shot)

But everyone was putting out photo bands. So we were competing on airwaves with MTV's hot band du jour.

Pat Benatar sang it best who could ever forget that song?

RIP
[ame=http://youtu.be/2AqxItxZYA8]Rita MacNeil Home I'll Be - YouTube[/ame]

Her Christmas special when she sang with the choir. I'm going to cry now. We were blessed to have her.

Pat Benatar sang it best who could ever forget that song?

That was Eddie Schwartz who wrote it. Patty delivered. :eusa_angel:

The British are less hung up on physical appearance...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk]Susan Boyle - Britains Got Talent 2009 Episode 1 - Saturday 11th April | HD High Quality - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry to hear this, there is a lot of talent, sadly a lot goes unnoticed because of prejudice. There is this great karaoke singer in our city, what s voice, yet it will go unnoticed.

We've come a long way since those days.

Boyle yes, but think Adele or Amy. YAY!

But when I'm talking about "those days" you have guys producing Shania Twain half naked in every video.

For all my magic I couldn't market Rita against that.

I only saw a couple of shows called "The Voice". Wow. That's my heart in music. Only the voice.

Sorry to hear this, there is a lot of talent, sadly a lot goes unnoticed because of prejudice. There is this great karaoke singer in our city, what s voice, yet it will go unnoticed.

I look at my bright side. I worked with a lot of independents and got them airplay. Now that's money for a lifetime.

BMI and CAPAC would hire me to track songs like "All our tomorrows" for example. Every time that tune is played $$$$$ I was gold to the publishing companies because we are talking major dollars here.

Eddie wrote "hit me with your best shot". I had a telex machine in my dining room at one point. I go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back.

But songwriters who can't be Pat Benatar or a Carrie Underwood they make their monies from the royalties from airplay.

Forum List

Back