Romney leaves Cruz off his list of 2016 GOP stars

Nova78

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado
Romney leaves Cruz off his list of 2016 GOP stars | Political Headlines | Comcast

Mitt Romney isn't including tea party favorite Ted Cruz among the Republicans' most electable potential presidential candidates in 2016.

Who does the 2012 GOP nominee put on his list of "very capable people?"

His ex-running mate, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

But Romney says New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie "stands out as one of the very strongest lights."

Romney was asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" whether Texas Sen. Cruz is a "potential light."

Romney said he's not going to disqualify anybody. But he made clear that he had given the names of those he thought were "the most effective in becoming elected."

Cruz led the GOP effort to shut down the government in an effort to dismantle Obama's health care law

If Romney was President right now ,we would be much better off ,because of the shellacking we have had from Obama.:eusa_whistle:

It's too early to tell, but I believe the "Bush" name as far more attractive than many think. Jeb Bush would be a great candidate especially having a latino wife. I would prefer a more conservative candidate, but Romney may be correct. How about Bush/Paul?

It's too early to tell, but I believe the "Bush" name as far more attractive than many think. Jeb Bush would be a great candidate especially having a latino wife. I would prefer a more conservative candidate, but Romney may be correct. How about Bush/Paul?

The Bush family prefers Hillary.

If they run Jeb it will be to dilute the base.

I think Cruz is very smart but he has shown his political inexperience with the defund Obamacare stuff with time and some experience he will be force in the future.

Surely you jest. And I always respect your opinion.

His strategy was spot on. Oh my. On this we must disagree on then.

Cruz is unelectable

Christie, Rubio, Bush and Ryan are

Rubio and Ryan are also unelectable.

Their platforms are further to the right. But they can both avoid saying batshit crazy things during a campaign. Rubio needs to mature a bit to look presidential but he has a like ability factor that can keep him in the running

I think Cruz is very smart but he has shown his political inexperience with the defund Obamacare stuff with time and some experience he will be force in the future.

Surely you jest. And I always respect your opinion.

His strategy was spot on. Oh my. On this we must disagree on then.

Trying to push defund Obamacare when your party only controls the House was never realistic my guess is he was playing to his base here keeping the promise that got him elected that did hurt him short term but not long term in my view. Anyone thinking this one battle will be the end of Cruz would be making a serious mistake I don't think Cruz was ever going to make a run for the Whitehouse in 2016 he is laying the groundwork for 2020.

Cruz is obviously going for the Sara Palin celebrity career. He is catnip for the morons who don't know that Medicare is a government program.

If Christie stands out as one of the strongest lights, why didn't Romney choose him as a running mate?

Because Christie has a past that would disqualify him and Romney knew it.

Double Down Excerpt: Mitt Romney Feared Chris Christie's Baggage | TIME.com

The vetters were stunned by the garish controversies lurking in the shadows of his record. There was a 2010 Department of Justice inspector general’s investigation of Christie’s spending patterns in his job prior to the governorship, which criticized him for being “the U.S. attorney who most often exceeded the government [travel expense] rate without adequate justification” and for offering “insufficient, inaccurate, or no justification” for stays at swank hotels like the Four Seasons. There was the fact that Christie worked as a lobbyist on behalf of the Securities Industry Association at a time when Bernie Madoff was a senior SIA official—and sought an exemption from New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act. There was Christie’s decision to steer hefty government contracts to donors and political allies like former Attorney General John Ashcroft, which sparked a congressional hearing. There was a defamation lawsuit brought against Christie arising out of his successful 1994 run to oust an incumbent in a local Garden State race. Then there was Todd Christie, the Governor’s brother, who in 2008 agreed to a settlement of civil charges by the Securities and Exchange Commission in which he acknowledged making “hundreds of trades in which customers had been systematically overcharged.

Christie is crooked enough to be a democrat.

If Christie stands out as one of the strongest lights, why didn't Romney choose him as a running mate?

Because Christie has a past that would disqualify him and Romney knew it.

Double Down Excerpt: Mitt Romney Feared Chris Christie's Baggage | TIME.com

The vetters were stunned by the garish controversies lurking in the shadows of his record. There was a 2010 Department of Justice inspector general’s investigation of Christie’s spending patterns in his job prior to the governorship, which criticized him for being “the U.S. attorney who most often exceeded the government [travel expense] rate without adequate justification” and for offering “insufficient, inaccurate, or no justification” for stays at swank hotels like the Four Seasons. There was the fact that Christie worked as a lobbyist on behalf of the Securities Industry Association at a time when Bernie Madoff was a senior SIA official—and sought an exemption from New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act. There was Christie’s decision to steer hefty government contracts to donors and political allies like former Attorney General John Ashcroft, which sparked a congressional hearing. There was a defamation lawsuit brought against Christie arising out of his successful 1994 run to oust an incumbent in a local Garden State race. Then there was Todd Christie, the Governor’s brother, who in 2008 agreed to a settlement of civil charges by the Securities and Exchange Commission in which he acknowledged making “hundreds of trades in which customers had been systematically overcharged.

Christie is crooked enough to be a democrat.

I, for one, am underwhelmed

Cruz is unelectable

Christie, Rubio, Bush and Ryan are

Rubio and Ryan are also unelectable.

Their platforms are further to the right. But they can both avoid saying batshit crazy things during a campaign. Rubio needs to mature a bit to look presidential but he has a like ability factor that can keep him in the running

That’s a lot of ‘if’ and ‘needs.’

Rubio’s in trouble with the TPM and hard right over immigration reform, and he’s has been inconsistent as he tried to distance himself from both. That’s going to be a problem during the primaries and if nominated, during the GE.

Ryan also has a consistency problem and will be correctly perceived to be too far right on many issues if nominated – Social Security and Medicare ‘reform’ in particular.

There’s just too much negative concerning both candidates for the democrats to use against them. And they're not very good campaigners and politicians to overcome those negatives.

Forum List

Back