Rookie NYPD cop texted union before calling 911 after accidentally shooting innocent man

A New York police officer who shot a man dead in a Brooklyn housing project texted his union before calling 911, a new report has revealed.

Akai Gurley, 28, was gunned down November 20 by rookie cop Peter Liang. The officer then texted his union representative before calling paramedics to tend to the dying Gurley, sources told the New York Daily News.

Text messages received by the police union also showed both officers had no clue which building they were in, the source revealed.

Liang and Shaun Landau, his partner, encountered Gurley while on an interior patrol referred to as "verticals" by police.

A superior officer, Deputy Inspector Miguel Iglesias, had previously barred them from such patrols, the source added.

An attorney for Gurley's family has called the incident criminally negligent and told the Daily News he would be surprised if it does not reach a grand jury.

Rookie NYPD cop texted union before calling 911 after accidentally shooting innocent man - AOL.com
funny how this is important, but when kennedy called a lawyer first......

almost as bad as 4 black gang members kidnapping and executing a white cop....
Actually I can understand why you can't intellectual discern the difference...
Criminal break the law, they took no oath to uphold the law.

Law Enforcement Officer trained in the use of his fire arm, sworn to uphold the law, protect life and property.
Exercise integrity and professionalism...

Starting to see the difference???

he did uphold the law asshole. So you don't care that a cop dies, right?
Your comment is so stupid, it has left me breathless.

almost as bad as 4 black gang members kidnapping and executing a white cop....
Actually I can understand why you can't intellectual discern the difference...
Criminal break the law, they took no oath to uphold the law.

Law Enforcement Officer trained in the use of his fire arm, sworn to uphold the law, protect life and property.
Exercise integrity and professionalism...

Starting to see the difference???

he did uphold the law asshole. So you don't care that a cop dies, right?
Your comment is so stupid, it has left me breathless.

You still here? I would have sworn that you'd be in the middle of some protest, burning a car, or looting for sneakers!

So, I just read a little more on this matter.

Turns out the two cops were in a stairwell, not even on the same floor as the victim. I initially thought they had pulled a gun on him. They didn't , the dolt cop just had his gun pulled for some reason.

It also turns out that they didn't even realize someone has been shot for quite some time. Yes the cop texted his union rep about an accidental discharge, but at THAT point he knew nothing about Gurley.

By the time they found him , other units were already there, or responding.

So , COMPLETELY dishonest to say he stood over his body and texted his union rep as Gurley lay there dying.

Do you people have to lie about EVERYTHING?

Certainly this is going to be a tough case. Is it standard NYPD policy to have your weapon out as you walk through a stairwell? DID the weapon malfunction? These are all issues that an honest GJ will have to look at

Oh, one other thing, off topic really, but this caught my eye.

"He was a very great person, and he leaves behind a 2-year-old daughter," she said. "We want justice for Akai . . . I want an indictment."

Palmer said her son, who lived in Brooklyn's Red Hook Houses, had been planning a Thanksgiving visit and she was looking forward to seeing her granddaughter for the first time.

Akai Gurley man killed by rookie NYPD cop We do not believe it was an accident - Newsday

A 2 year old granddaughter less than an hour away and she's never seen her?

Turns out the two cops were in a stairwell, not even on the same floor as the victim. I initially thought they had pulled a gun on him. They didn't , the dolt cop just had his gun pulled for some reason.

It also turns out that they didn't even realize someone has been shot for quite some time. Yes the cop texted his union rep about an accidental discharge, but at THAT point he knew nothing about Gurley.

So , COMPLETELY dishonest to say he stood over his body and texted his union rep as Gurley lay there dying.

Certainly this is going to be a tough case. Is it standard NYPD policy to have your weapon out as you walk through a stairwell? DID the weapon malfunction? These are all issues that an honest GJ will have to look at

"He was a very great person, and he leaves behind a 2-year-old daughter," she said. "We want justice for Akai . . . I want an indictment."

Palmer said her son, who lived in Brooklyn's Red Hook Houses, had been planning a Thanksgiving visit and she was looking forward to seeing her granddaughter for the first time.

Akai Gurley man killed by rookie NYPD cop We do not believe it was an accident - Newsday

Quote a lie that was told???

Sure , lets start with your OP

Akai Gurley, 28, was gunned down November 20 by rookie cop Peter Liang. The officer then texted his union representative before calling paramedics to tend to the dying Gurley, sources told the New York Daily News.

He wasn't gunned down, and as has been proven, he didn't even know about Gurley when he texted his union rep.

Now, true. You didn't write those lies, You merely passed them onto this board. So are you conceding that your source misconstrued events?

Sure , lets start with your OP

He wasn't gunned down, and as has been proven, he didn't even know about Gurley when he texted his union rep.

Now, true. You didn't write those lies, You merely passed them onto this board. So are you conceding that your source misconstrued events?

Although I would not have chosen the phrase "gunned down" it is an accurate definition, so no lie there.

gun down
- definition

• View thesaurus entry for gun down
  • What are red words?
  • tinyT.gif
    Using the thesaurus
phrasal verb [transitive]mainly journalism
WordForms.gif

1. to shoot someone and kill them or injure them badly, especially someone who is not guilty of anything, or who is not carrying a gun
    He was gunned down in his own doorway.

Thesaurus entry for this meaning of gun down
This is the American English definition of gun down. View British English definition of gun down.

Change your default dictionary and thesaurus to British English.

See also main entry: gun

gunned, gun·ning, guns
v.tr.
1. To shoot (a person): a bank robber who was gunned down by the police.
2. To open the throttle of (an engine) so as to accelerate: gunned the engine and sped off.
3. Maine To hunt (game).

Post a link that provides evidence that he didn't know that he shot a man, it's not in the article I posted.

But the bottom line is this, they were given very specific and direct orders not to be in those buildings above the first floor.
They were to restrict their movements to the lobby area and venture up only in the case of being dispatched.

Every police academy in the U.S. has a number one rule at the range. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are going to discharge your weapon, this incident is the main reason why.

What was the Officer "terrified" of???

Let her go back to the kitchen and refill her glass of MD2020 before she answers that.
Haven't heard of the "mad dog" in a long time...lol.

I'm not even sure it's on the shelves anymore, either. But if it is, she's found it and has a case in her refrigerator.

It's still made & sold...I deliver to packies and have seen it many times.

What was the Officer "terrified" of???

Let her go back to the kitchen and refill her glass of MD2020 before she answers that.
Haven't heard of the "mad dog" in a long time...lol.

I'm not even sure it's on the shelves anymore, either. But if it is, she's found it and has a case in her refrigerator.

It's still made & sold...I deliver to packies and have seen it many times.
We used to serve that at out church during communion, I snuck in the back and saw it.

Forum List

Back