Rosh Hashanah 2014

Hell yeah! May the days be Epic.

What can anyone tell me about this holiday, from a Jewish perspective?

Seems kinda close to the Fall Equinox. Any relation?

Educate me on some Judaism relevant to this Day so that I may be less ignorant of the Jews' awesome culture. There is always more to learn from any religion...

:rock:

Last edited:
Happy Rosh Hashanah to all the Jewish members and visitors of USMB! May it be a most joyous and peaceful new year for all of you.

L'shana Tova to Jillian and any other Jewish posters here...

In NYC its also known as "Rush-a-home-a.

A lot of Jews racing daylight to get home on time.

Only holiday I rush to make the Sabbath is Yom Kippur. :)

Interesting fact about times re: religious observances. When explorers where exploring the north and south poles, obviously time is different there. Since observing sundown is tricky when the day lasts six months say, some holidays might get missed if you don't figure something out (just as they'll have to be figured out again for anyone going to Mars or becomming a long-duration astronaut.) You can use the time of your home starting point, instead of where you may actually be as with polar explorers or astronauts. Local time is meaningless in space or orbit as at the poles. So some rabbis have advised using your home's time. And rabbinical authorities have upheld this.

Interesting fact about times re: religious observances. When explorers where exploring the north and south poles, obviously time is different there. Since observing sundown is tricky when the day lasts six months say, some holidays might get missed if you don't figure something out (just as they'll have to be figured out again for anyone going to Mars or becomming a long-duration astronaut.) You can use the time of your home starting point, instead of where you may actually be as with polar explorers or astronauts. Local time is meaningless in space or orbit as at the poles. So some rabbis have advised using your home's time. And rabbinical authorities have upheld this.

Rabbinical Judaism is a religion of laws crafted carefully over time. If any group of Religious leaders could figure it out, it would be Rabbis.

But then you have to have an accurate timepiece...at all times...set to "home time".

Got Rolex?

Forum List

Back