RWers: Would you accept a GREAT paying govt job, despite principle?

Would you accept a GREAT paying (2-3X more) govt job...despite your principles?

• NO, you are a d-bag for asking, and I wont reveal my hypocrisy on USMB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name 10.

Hell, I will make it easy for you, name 1.

Difficult and very important to society?

Police Officer
Fireman
Teacher
Social Worker

If we want to talk about really difficult and important, we can talk about the thousands of scientists, mathematicians, doctors, and computer scientists in NASA, NSA, DARPA, DoD, DoE, and nearly every other government agency.

Seriously? Of all the jobs that you listed there only one is considered an exclusive function of the government, and that is only because they made it illegal for anyone else to do it. In fact, California use people who are actually in prison to fight fires, so the argument that firefighters have to be government workers is so stupid it doesn't even merit as an argument, yet it is still better than the arguments that teachers and social workers are proof that we need government employees.

Come to think of it, anybody who has enough money\, and actually cares about their security, doesn't rely on the police, they pay private security people for protection, and have them investigate crimes.

Nice attempt though, not that you will see how stupid it actually is.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. The fact that there is a private-sector need for these jobs is exactly why we need to offer teachers and police competitive salaries.

Police Officer
Fireman
Teacher
Social Worker

If we want to talk about really difficult and important, we can talk about the thousands of scientists, mathematicians, doctors, and computer scientists in NASA, NSA, DARPA, DoD, DoE, and nearly every other government agency.

Seriously? Of all the jobs that you listed there only one is considered an exclusive function of the government, and that is only because they made it illegal for anyone else to do it. In fact, California use people who are actually in prison to fight fires, so the argument that firefighters have to be government workers is so stupid it doesn't even merit as an argument, yet it is still better than the arguments that teachers and social workers are proof that we need government employees.

Come to think of it, anybody who has enough money\, and actually cares about their security, doesn't rely on the police, they pay private security people for protection, and have them investigate crimes.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. The fact that there is a private-sector need for these jobs is exactly why we need to offer teachers and police competitive salaries.

No it isn't. If they prefer to work for the private sector, thus lowering the expense of government, that will result in a net gain for the economy.

Name 10.

Police Officer
Fireman
Teacher
Social Worker

HAHA!! Oh boy, another right winger falling to their knees at the "private security" alter. Wow, you elitists mock and look down on security guards until you need them to prove a false point.

Sure, hire the private security. DO all the investigations. Catch the crime. THEN WHAT? You'll still either have to call the real cops, or let the guy go. Because private security has NO enforcement power whatsoever.

All those people "with enough money" have no fucking clue just how much of their live and wealth status depends on the mere presence of US police officers. Im prepped for the backlash comments on that, because a lot of ignorant people are gonna be offended by it. But 90% of rich people enjoy their wealth status in life in large part due to the military and police enabling a society where someone like them can get rich. Most idiots wont grasp that logic.

No it isn't. If they prefer to work for the private sector, thus lowering the expense of government, that will result in a net gain for the economy.

What happens when the schools and police start losing their best and most talented to the private sector? And the pay is too low to attract that type back? Schools suffer, meaning our kids suffer. Crime goes up. Corruption goes up. Society as a whole suffers.

Add a dumbed down labor pool with a higher crime rate, and see how the economy does then. So when your beloved business cant find workers worth a shit and you have to spend money teaching and training them more, and then your business gets robbed or vandalized..........you can rethink how less competent teachers and cops will affect the economy. Idiot.

Government workers don't take those jobs because of the pay or benefits however generous they might be. They take those jobs because getting rid of them is almost impossible no matter how lazy or unproductive they are.

yea sure.....i guess all the Postal workers that were fired in my time there was just an imaginary thing.....once again Katz.....more bullshit....

Knowing how hard it is to fire a government worker it will take more than an (ahem) assertion of personal experience.

Police Officer
Fireman
Teacher
Social Worker

HAHA!! Oh boy, another right winger falling to their knees at the "private security" alter. Wow, you elitists mock and look down on security guards until you need them to prove a false point.

Sure, hire the private security. DO all the investigations. Catch the crime. THEN WHAT? You'll still either have to call the real cops, or let the guy go. Because private security has NO enforcement power whatsoever.

All those people "with enough money" have no fucking clue just how much of their live and wealth status depends on the mere presence of US police officers. Im prepped for the backlash comments on that, because a lot of ignorant people are gonna be offended by it. But 90% of rich people enjoy their wealth status in life in large part due to the military and police enabling a society where someone like them can get rich. Most idiots wont grasp that logic.

Yet not a single example from you of any government job that is so difficult and so important that the only way to get it done is for the government to do it.

What happens when the schools and police start losing their best and most talented to the private sector? And the pay is too low to attract that type back? Schools suffer, meaning our kids suffer. Crime goes up. Corruption goes up. Society as a whole suffers.

Add a dumbed down labor pool with a higher crime rate, and see how the economy does then. So when your beloved business cant find workers worth a shit and you have to spend money teaching and training them more, and then your business gets robbed or vandalized..........you can rethink how less competent teachers and cops will affect the economy. Idiot.

Schools exist outside the government, and anyone that thinks cops have great minds hasn't dealt with cops. I am pretty sure we can blame Clinton for that, he is the one that insisted more cops would improve things despite the fact that smart people tend to do something other than police work.

This is a question directed at far right wingers who oppose most govt spending, but, anyone can anwser the poll or post one. The quesiton is:

If you had a private sector job, but, the local, county, state or federal government offered you a full time job with GREAT pay (lets say 2-3X more than you make), with great benefits far better than what you get now, would you accept it? Or, would you stick to your small government principles and say that the job pays too good for a government worker, and you will not participate in furthering the problem?

Let the discussion begin hahaha!!!

It would not cost the government any more if I accepted the job than if another person accepted it. Thus, my objection to increased government spending would not be compromised in any way were I to take the position.

However, I strongly object to government paying substantially more than the private sector for equivalent work.

I would rather not have the government job pay more, but if it does, I would take it rather than let someone else take it. There is no hypocrisy here.

Schools exist outside the government, and anyone that thinks cops have great minds hasn't dealt with cops. I am pretty sure we can blame Clinton for that, he is the one that insisted more cops would improve things despite the fact that smart people tend to do something other than police work.

Most of the cops in my area have college degrees

You're welcome, parasite.

I know....Is this a great country or what?

I started with the government as a 21 yr old engineer fresh out of college. Every other employer at the time was offering $14-16K a year and the Navy offered me a stinking $12,900. When I complained, the recruiter smiled and said "But you can get civil service retirement at 55 and never worry about having a job" I said I would rather have the money. But I took the offer and every other engineer asked "Why would you want to work for the government?"

Fast forward 17years and I am a mid level manager looking to hire computer scientists and network engineers to work for me. Right in the middle of the Dot Com boom. I was making a salary in the $70K range and was offering jobs in the $55-$65K range. They looked at me like I was crazy. They were making $90K-$100K with stock options. They asked me..."Why would I want to work for the government?"

Fast forward another 17years and I was eligible to retire. That Civil Service pension had a cash value of $1.5 million and I had a Thrift Savings with another couple hundred thousand in it. Those who had laughed at me for taking a government job had gone to work for companies like Kodak and Bell Labs. When the Dot Com bubble burst they were out of work for a year or more. Their stock options were not worth shit. They were looking to work into their 70s

That is why I wanted to work for the government

You are a poster child for why anyone getting more from the government than he or she pays in taxes should be declared a ward of the state and should not be permitted to vote.

I paid 7% of my pay into my pension for over 30 years. I also contributed to my thrift savings plan. I have also had the satisfaction of serving my country and making a difference

What do you do for a living?

Last edited:
Drive & load a truck. I am a producer. You are a parasite.

That's it?

Government Employees do a great service to their communities and to their nation. We actually hire people like you to move our equipment.

Name 10.

Police Officer
Fireman
Teacher
Social Worker

just Forest fires.....:eusa_angel:

Government workers don't take those jobs because of the pay or benefits however generous they might be. They take those jobs because getting rid of them is almost impossible no matter how lazy or unproductive they are.

yea sure.....i guess all the Postal workers that were fired in my time there was just an imaginary thing.....once again Katz.....more bullshit....

Knowing how hard it is to fire a government worker it will take more than an (ahem) assertion of personal experience.

your on the outside looking in Katz......i was on the inside.....and the bullshit you hear aint exactly the way it really is....you steal mail....your gone.....you keep missing work just because you don't want to work.....your gone......you falsify paperwork.....your gone..... the Union used to tell us there is only so much they can do for you if you commit a major infraction that they can prove......and the 3 things i mentioned were the hardest things for them to defend.....i seen plenty of Carriers going out the door in my time there......and yea....that's personal experience from someone who actually worked for the Govt.....

your on the outside looking in Katz......i was on the inside.....and the bullshit you hear aint exactly the way it really is....you steal mail....your gone.....you keep missing work just because you don't want to work.....your gone......you falsify paperwork.....your gone..... the Union used to tell us there is only so much they can do for you if you commit a major infraction that they can prove......and the 3 things i mentioned were the hardest things for them to defend.....i seen plenty of Carriers going out the door in my time there......and yea....that's personal experience from someone who actually worked for the Govt.....

Yeah sure.
How to fire a government worker? Wait for death | Stossel's Take Blog

Some federal workers more likely to die than lose jobs - USATODAY.com

PolitiFact | Firing federal workers is difficult

I took a local county job when I retired from the military (at lower pay than I could have gotten in the private sector) for a few reasons. One was Domestic Partner benefits. The county offered them. Another was location...I live in a rural part of the county and wanted to stay within my area. Finally, working for my local county government gives me a smaller, but still significant sense of serving like the military did...this time, my local community.

Yeah sure.
How to fire a government worker? Wait for death | Stossel's Take Blog

Some federal workers more likely to die than lose jobs - USATODAY.com

PolitiFact | Firing federal workers is difficult

yep keep reading the Anti-Union shit from more people on the outside looking in Katz .....it shows how fucking easy you fall for shit.....the hardest people to fire from the PO is Veterans...and there are quit a few of them.........those articles actually may pertain to them.....because they not only get preference they get more breaks then the regular person and it aint easy firing one of them ......but as i have said.....i have seen quit a few people in my time there get fired or asked to resign....so it doesn't matter to me what you believe .....i have seen it....you haven't,simple as that........

So?

There ain't nothing special about a degree in criminal justice. That ranks right up there with Women's Studies.

Most of the posters on this board have college degrees, what's your point?

Forum List

Back