RW’s: because children have freedom of speech, does that mean kids should own guns too?

An adult can't be charged with a crime for saying something outside of a physical threat against another such as saying you want to see the President or Congress person dead. But if they fined you or stop you from expressing yourself on other matters, that would be a violation of your rights.
Yes, granted threats are illegal, but what matters is that adults and children have the same 1st amendment rights.

If that were true, a child could tell his teacher to go F himself and the school would not be allowed to retaliate in any way. However we both know that isn't true. If a child would do such a thing, he would be kicked out of class, suspended or even expelled depending on the tolerance of the school.
Suspension and expulsion are not legal punishments. No crime has been committed if they simply say something.

Of course those are punishments. If they are not punishments, then what are they? It's a retaliation by the school for a student breaking the rules of that school.
They are not LEGAL punishments. Just as it isn’t a LEGAL punishment to suspend or fire an employee.

WTF do you mean by legal punishments? Criminal punishments, no, but punishment is punishment.

RW’s: because children have freedom of speech, does that mean kids should own guns too?

Is your professed stupidity just an act, or are you really that obtuse? :blahblah:

It is a false question either way ... Federal law doesn't prohibit a child from owning/possessing a firearm anyways.

Some states have minimum age requirements for possession of a firearm ... But not federal law.
A minor cannot purchase a firearm ... But they can own or possess one in regards to federal law.

Yes, granted threats are illegal, but what matters is that adults and children have the same 1st amendment rights.

If that were true, a child could tell his teacher to go F himself and the school would not be allowed to retaliate in any way. However we both know that isn't true. If a child would do such a thing, he would be kicked out of class, suspended or even expelled depending on the tolerance of the school.
Suspension and expulsion are not legal punishments. No crime has been committed if they simply say something.

Of course those are punishments. If they are not punishments, then what are they? It's a retaliation by the school for a student breaking the rules of that school.
They are not LEGAL punishments. Just as it isn’t a LEGAL punishment to suspend or fire an employee.

WTF do you mean by legal punishments? Criminal punishments, no, but punishment is punishment.
Somehow a speeding ticket isn't "legal," but armed robbery is. That appears to be his theory.

Somehow a speeding ticket isn't "legal," but armed robbery is. That appears to be his theory.
Um speeding and robbery are both illegal. What a child says is not.

Lol good god.

I'm guessing that too, but I was also expecting he might say suspensions or expulsions are illegal punishments. You never know. :dunno:

I'm guessing that too, but I was also expecting he might say suspensions or expulsions are illegal punishments. You never know. :dunno:
I never said they were illegal.

Well if a punishment is not a legal punishment, then what else could that punishment be?

Um speeding and robbery are both illegal. What a child says is not.

Lol good god.
How about placing the electical outlets too far apart in a home you're building?

Well if a punishment is not a legal punishment, then what else could that punishment be?

This is the part where Billy realizes he doesn't know what he really means when he uses the term "legal."

Somehow he has to make the case that some government imposed punishments don't matter to the Constitution, while others do.

This is the part where Billy realizes he doesn't know what he really means when he uses the term "legal."
Lol you try way too hard. Legal punishments apply to crimes being committed. It doesn’t get simpler than that.

Lol you try way too hard. Legal punishments apply to crimes being committed. It doesn’t get simpler than that.

So speeding is a crime? How about jaywalking? Not putting enough money in the parking meter? How about spacing the electical outlets too far apart in the new home you're building? What makes one thing a "crime" and something else the government punishes you for "not a crime?"

Somehow he has to make the case that some government imposed punishments don't matter to the Constitution, while others do.

I'm just confused because I never heard the term Legal Punishment until today. As far as I know, punishment is punishment. If it's not legal punishment, then it can only be illegal punishment.

So speeding is a crime? How about jaywalking? Not putting enough money in the parking meter? How about spacing the electical outlets too far apart in the new home you're building? What makes one thing a "crime" and something else the government punishes you for "not a crime?"
Lol yes good god. Speeding, jaywalking, over expired parking, and violating building codes are all CRIMES.

I'm just confused because I never heard the term Legal Punishment until today. As far as I know, punishment is punishment. If it's not legal punishment, then it can only be illegal punishment.
So if you get suspended from your job because you violated the rules, that isn’t a form of punishment? It’s not a legal punishment because you didn’t necessarily break a law.

So if you get suspended from your job because you violated the rules, that isn’t a form of punishment? It’s not a legal punishment because you didn’t necessarily break a law.
You mean it's not a government punishment. Your use of the term "legal" is idiosyncratic. Everything the government does, so long as it complies with statute, is "legal" by definition.

You mean it's not a government punishment. Your use of the term "legal" is idiosyncratic. Everything the government does, so long as it complies with statute, is "legal" by definition.
Lol what so an employee being suspended from a private business is a “government punishment”?

Lol yes good god. Speeding, jaywalking, over expired parking, and violating building codes are all CRIMES.
Then violating school regulations is a crime. If the EPA can pass a regulation saying you have to have some doodad on your engine, and not doing that is a crime, then how is not following some school regulation not a crime?

Lol what so an employee being suspended from a private business is a “government punishment”?
No, it's definitely not a government punishment. That's why it's not a violation of your rights when a company does it.

Being suspended from a public school is a government punishment. If you were an adult, and it violated the bill of rights, then the government officials who did it can be prosecuted.

Do lefties live in a fantasy world dominated by left wing media blogs or are they able to think for themselves? First of all the 1st 10 Amendments to the Constitution aka the Bill of Rights were intended to be a limitation on the power of the federal government. Let that sink in for a minute and then consider the fact that there are limitations to the freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights and most Americans understand them and abide by them. Lefties fought hard in court for their 1st Amendment "right" to mutilate the Flag and disrespect their Country and rational Americans reserve their 1st Amendment right to ridicule such behavior. When the Supreme Court found a "right to privacy" that did not exist in the Constitution to authorize the murder of the unborn Americans learned to live with it. Now the left wing crazies make a convoluted argument about the comparison between freedom of speech and the 2nd Amendment as if their incoherent anger and frustration makes any sense.

Forum List

Back