San Francisco Target locks entire store behind glass

Walmart closes stores every year for many reasons. 154 over the last three years.

They closed the last stores last month in Portland. And they said shrink (theft) was the major reason they were no longer profitable.

And as an FYI, most Walmart stores "close" so they can open an even larger one. I worked at one of them, they closed a store that had been built in around 1990, and opened a newer one in 2017 half a mile away that was over twice as large. And they did something similar with one of their original stores in Vallejo. It was a 1990 era store that was now too small, so they built a huge one a short distance away in American Canyon.

Walmart very rarely "leaves" a market. Most closures are in reality "relocations". As they build a new store as the original remains in operation, then "closes" it when the new one opens. In almost every city with a "new Walmart" in the last 2 decades or more, you will find an older and smaller closed Walmart nearby. Portland is the first case I can think of where they actually left a market.

They closed the last stores last month in Portland. And they said shrink (theft) was the major reason they were no longer profitable.

And as an FYI, most Walmart stores "close" so they can open an even larger one. I worked at one of them, they closed a store that had been built in around 1990, and opened a newer one in 2017 half a mile away that was over twice as large. And they did something similar with one of their original stores in Vallejo. It was a 1990 era store that was now too small, so they built a huge one a short distance away in American Canyon.

Walmart very rarely "leaves" a market. Most closures are in reality "relocations". As they build a new store as the original remains in operation, then "closes" it when the new one opens. In almost every city with a "new Walmart" in the last 2 decades or more, you will find an older and smaller closed Walmart nearby. Portland is the first case I can think of where they actually left a market.
I lived in NW Arkansass 1986-2001 in Rogers, Ar the town right next to Bentonville, I now live in SW Mizzouri next to Arkansass, WalMart built many stores in the area and closed them all in the area sixteen months later in the rural areas.

Well... not everything is behind glass. Apparently the sunblock is safe. For some reason...

Screenshot_20230426_151516_9GAG.jpg

Do they order from a kiosk like the old Service Mercantile stores?

I posted of it a few days ago but it was just raw video from the store and I'm not sitting through 17 minutes of a pod cast to find out.

Oregon pays $.05 per bottle. He's mental.
Its free money... they don't care about the rate... they need their fix fast.... so first you call in bullshit... then you called in mental illness... talk about a moving target....
the fact is government programs hurt people... and as long as you win you do not care... that's heartless man....

Rambo said he saw it personally and then posted a link. I call him FOS. And you're no better.
If you stroll through my content you will find the post I made the day I saw it happening...

I saw this. How can they possibly be profitable?

They can't.

They need time to sell the inventory to another target store and close down.

In the mean time they're just protecting the inventory from blacks who think theft is "reparations" because the DA wont prosecute them when they rob the store blind.

Consequences!

Its free money... they don't care about the rate... they need their fix fast.... so first you call in bullshit... then you called in mental illness... talk about a moving target....
the fact is government programs hurt people... and as long as you win you do not care... that's heartless man....
Was that about what you saw personally or in the link or are you lying?

WalMart built many stores in the area and closed them all in the area sixteen months later in the rural areas.

As I said, relocations. And I bet each of those newer stores were many times larger than the older ones they closed. And most of the employees moved to the newer ones. As I said, been there and done that with that company myself.

The company started and initially thrived on making small local stores. Generally on footprints of around 15,000 square feet. But over time (especially starting in the 1980s) this model started to change and they were building increasingly larger stores. And the earliest stores in California were built right as this transition was happening in the late 1980s and early 1990s. At that time the average store size had grown to around 40,000 square feet, but they wanted still larger stores.

Today, that generally means stores over 100,000 square feet. Which will see multiple of the smaller stores close and relocated to the larger one.

In the 1990s K-Mart tried the exact same thing. However, they largely failed at it as they would build their larger stores too close together, and did not have the diversity of products that Walmart did. Walmart moved heavily into grocery when they made the larger stores. Where as K-Mart mostly just made larger stores with not much emphasis on grocery.

Hell, I was working mostly in the grocery department of the Oroville store when it moved. In the new location the grocery area alone was almost the size of the original store. And trust me, an easy way to humble a stocker is to bring them from a 50,000 square foot store into a completely empty 200,000 square foot store and tell them they have three weeks to get it stocked.

I am old enough to remember when a 30,000 square foot store was "huge". But most of your large retailers now have abandoned the small store model. It simply makes more sense to build fewer but larger stores.

Forum List

Back