Sarah is getting her Lung transplant!!!! :)

What if someone else's baby had a 90% chance? Would you think that your 10% chance is worth more?

Do you think I would sacrifice the life of my child, all based on that logic? If my child has any chance to live, that is good enough for me.

Are you saying that your child's 10% chance is worth more than my child's 90% chance? Are you saying that your child deserves to live more than my child?

My child would be liken to a treasure to me, something I cannot replace, more important to me than the world. Do you really think I would care about "logic" when my child is lying there slowly dying?

For the love of Pete. This should have been a great day for all of us, to be happy about the life that was saved! But here we are speculating, applying logic, and setting ourselves into apoplectic fits for those who were pushed back. Hey, I thought I was done with this thread, but I can't just walk away from it now.

Fact is, Gracie, no reasoning should be required. If my baby had a 10% chance, I'd take it. I think from a personal point of view, not from a speculative one.

Ok. But what if it were YOUR kid that was bumped BACK? Different tune, I think.

As I said..all the arguing in the world is not going to solve this particular dilemma.

There shouldn't have been any arguing to begin with. Just rejoicing. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

ok

The squeakiest wheel always gets the oil, such is life. I wish Sarah and her family all the best and hope the surgery ends up successful.

The donor's family at the loss of their kin, and the person bumped back. All of them.

Yet again, no mention of the adult who may die because the organ they needed went to this child.

Yet again, as you said before, no life is more important than the other, but here you are valuing one over the other. I deplore double standards.

:|

You value the life of the child over the life of an adult, you hypocrite!

You are no more worthy to call me a hypocrite than I am to call you one. Yet you introduced this dilemma, not me. I do, because a child has yet to live out their life, the adult? It's not like there is only one donor for the whole list! Are we forgetting that? You have to consider how far back the person was pushed back. Heck it could be one spot or ten.

Would you willingly be the one who was responsible for denying some little one a future?

Do you think I would sacrifice the life of my child, all based on that logic? If my child has any chance to live, that is good enough for me.

Are you saying that your child's 10% chance is worth more than my child's 90% chance? Are you saying that your child deserves to live more than my child?

My child would be liken to a treasure to me, something I cannot replace, more important to me than the world. Do you really think I would care about "logic" when my child is lying there slowly dying?

For the love of Pete. This should have been a great day for all of us, to be happy about the life that was saved! But here we are speculating, applying logic, and setting ourselves into apoplectic fits for those who were pushed back. Hey, I thought I was done with this thread, but I can't just walk away from it now.

So you believe that your child is more important than my child? Yes or no?

Yet again, as you said before, no life is more important than the other, but here you are valuing one over the other. I deplore double standards.

:|

You value the life of the child over the life of an adult, you hypocrite!

You are no more worthy to call me a hypocrite than I am to call you one. Yet you introduced this dilemma, not me. I do, because a child has yet to live out their life, the adult? It's not like there is only one donor for the whole list! Are we forgetting that? You have to consider how far back the person was pushed back. Heck it could be one spot or ten.

Would you willingly be the one who was responsible for denying some little one a future?

I am not saying I don't get where you are coming from, and in some cases, I do believe the younger person should come ahead of the adult. BUT in this case, the child doesn't have much chance of coming out of this - the adult does. Therefore, the adult should have come first.

The squeakiest wheel always gets the oil, such is life. I wish Sarah and her family all the best and hope the surgery ends up successful.

The donor's family at the loss of their kin, and the person bumped back. All of them.

Yep. Every single person on that list was pushed back at least one spot. And when more kids join the list, they will be pushed back even further.

Again, TK, what happens if the adult were to die?

I am still waiting to hear whether you would give a shit.

Okay, that one got me. This is bittersweet at most. But nontheless something we should feel good about. Not arguing over. I apologize for my outburst, but the thought of not having a future from a child's standpoint is... terrifying.

Okay, that one got me. This is bittersweet at most. But nontheless something we should feel good about. Not arguing over. I apologize for my outburst, but the thought of not having a future from a child's standpoint is... terrifying.

Then you must know how the family of the adult must feel. They are going through the same thing.

Again, TK, what happens if the adult were to die?

I am still waiting to hear whether you would give a shit.

Apparently you don't give a crap about the child, so there's no point in continuing. We favor our own candidate. If I could save the life of every man woman and child in the world I'd do it. Your scenario is an unfair one, because everyone on that list has family members who care just as deeply for their loved ones as those parents who sued to save the life of their child.

By the way, they don't move anyone back on the list, they are weighed by aggregate scores. In one day, Sarah shot up the list, and look where she is now. Once she has hers, someone else will be right behind her.

Then you must know how the family of the adult must feel. They are going through the same thing.

So was the child's. But there's something fulfilling about using the death of one you love, to give someone a second chance at life, it softens the blow a bit. If the organ of my dead loved one can live on in the body of a child, that should grant me some solace, though it may do nothing to ease the pain.

But who are we to put ourselves in the shoes of those in mourning or the rejoicing? I am only 25, Noomi, and I have a great deal more than you to learn about the harsh realities of life.

Last edited:
It's probably lucky none of us get to play God and we can leave it to the doctors and surgeons to determine whats best and make the final decisions on their suspected multitude of information.

In reality we know very little..

Thank you Lord....it came just in time! I haven't heard if she's out of surgery yet.....
I pray that it all works out for her.....

It's sad too, that someone had to lose their life so this could happen. Pray for that family!

(If this was already posted I didn't see it.....please merge!!)

Sarah Murnaghan, the 10-year-old girl suffering from end-stage cystic fibrosis whose bid to get a transplant from adult lungs drew national attention, was getting a lung transplant Wednesday.
10-year-old girl undergoing surgery for lung transplant

Two people lost their life because of this, not just one.

But now that she has a lung, what about the other kids who need one, too? Do the adults just get pushed off the list because a child is worth more?

You are a natural pessimist, Noomi. I get sick of people who cannot take the time to celebrate the renewal of a life from the brink of death. At least those adults survived their childhood, this girl on the other hand, had a good chance of dying before she had a chance to make it to her 11th birthday. You cannot accept the realities of life, you think it should be automatically fair for everyone. It doesn't work that way.

I like to think that I would give up my chance for a transplant if I knew that a child needed it more. Having said that, there is an adult and a child donor list for a REASON.

Why should the children be put first, before the adults, who have families and children to care for?

I was reading that adult lungs can't be put in children. Also, there is a lot of recovery time involved so people with families to care for will not be able to work for quite a long time. I hope the kid can recover and live a good life for 5 to 10 years where there might be some medical breakthroughs that will benefit her.

Newsflash:

Double lung transplant was successful.

Sarah G should study medicine before she runs her mouth.

About half of patients live to about five years after surgery, and a third make it for 10 years, he says.

Art Caplan, head of the division of medical ethics at New York University Langone Medical Center, told USA TODAY, "Adult lungs don't fit well in children's bodies, and that makes it hard to transplant them. You are looking at using a piece of lung instead of a whole lung, and that makes it makes it a more difficult procedure and less likely to work.

"Lung transplants are a difficult operation, and they do fail," he says.

"It doesn't work all that well compared to other kinds of transplants. That's partly because when you transplant lungs, you have to give immunosuppressive medication so that they don't reject the lung. That opens up the lungs to infection. The lungs are constantly exposed to viruses and bacteria, so infection is a huge problem with lung transplants," Caplan says.

Joshua Sonett, chief of General Thoracic Surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, says Sarah's recovery may be challenging. "The sicker you are going into it, the harder it's going to be to recover. And she was extremely sick going into it."

Pa. girl's controversial lung transplant surgery successful

We don't exactly know how successful the surgery was. You should inform yourself before "running your mouth". That link was from the opening post, btw.

Forum List

Back