Sarah Palin doing what she said she would do, back conservatives, not just a party.

Sinatra, the far right of the GOP is tepid and near valueless. If you are mistaking the tealaggers as mainstream, you are in for a series of ever increasing disappointments as the Dems take the Pubs to the cleaners the next twelve plus months. Oh, by the by, post your source that you pillaged for your opening paragraphs in #179. I don't even think for a second you came up with that by your lonesome.

Last edited:
Governor Sarah Palin: Her Accomplishments As Governor of Alaska
Posted on September 14, 2008 by mcauleysworld
Doctrinaire Conservatives Beware

THE WEEKLY STANDARD

by Fred Barnes
09/22/2008, Volume 014, Issue 02

Conservatives are rushing to crown Alaska governor Sarah Palin as the new Ronald Reagan. And indeed there are similarities. Like Reagan, Palin has a dazzling star quality and an appeal to voters outside the conservative orbit. But there’s another likeness to Reagan that conservatives may find a bit off-putting. She governs as a pragmatic conservative–with heavy emphasis on the pragmatic.

Palin, John McCain’s vice presidential running mate, is a strong social and religious conservative. She opposes abortion and gay rights and, as an evangelical Christian, believes in a God-centered universe. But these matters are neither her top priorities as governor nor even her second-tier concerns. Her social conservatism has been muted.

Instead, her agenda since being elected governor in 2006 consists of oil and gas, taxes, and ethics reform. “Just look at the bills she put her name on,” says John Bitney, her policy director during her first year as governor. “They speak for themselves.” The bills involved a new arrangement for building a natural gas pipeline, higher taxes on oil companies, and new ethics rules covering the governor’s administration and the legislature.

]

lol, it's always funny that the Palinatics are so irrational in their support for her that they will tout her siding with Alaska Democrats to impose a windfall profits tax on Alaska oil as one of her notable accomplishments.

Balance?

She balances common sense with idiocy. Look at her "common sense" approach to teen pregnancy. See how well it's worked for her own family?

I haven't heard her pushing anything about teen pregnancy. Can you pop a link? Thanks.

It amazes me that those on the right know so little about those they want as their leaders. Then when they do find out the truth, their expectations are so low, not to mention the bar. They may as well be playing "limbo".

Palin Slashed Funding for Teen Moms | 44 | washingtonpost.com

By Paul Kane
ST. PAUL -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee who revealed Monday that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, earlier this year used her line-item veto to slash funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a place to live.

$5M was proposed for an expansion and she signed on for $3.9. The funding wasn't cut by $1M it increased by $3.9M. And that is just for this year. She wanted to save taxpayers money and believed they could work on $1M less. The $3.9M was also a one time only sum added by the state on top of normal operating expenses, as noted below. Try again.

…that if you actually bother to examine the information that Alaska's Covenant House makes available about its operations, it's obviously not true. Start with the financials. In 2007, Covenant House reported $1.3 million dollars in "grant income". In 2006, the figure was $1.2 million. So why, all of the sudden, did Covenant House seem to need 4 times that amount, $5 million or so in state money?

The answer is that Covenant House is expanding. The plans are described in the 2009 Alaska capital budget proposal…

State funding will assist Covenant House to relocate, and construct a new Crisis Center for Covenant House in downtown Anchorage.

$22 million is needed to complete the expansion. Covenant House asked the Alaska legislature to provide $10 million, the legislature answered with $5 million in the 2009 budget. Governor Palin cut the figure back to $3.9 million -- for this year. This likely doesn't stop the expansion; Covenant House will either have to get more from the state in a future year and/or increase the amount from private donations to make it happen. But no existing program that helps teenage mothers or the children of teenage mothers has been affected by this budget decision, and calling a one-time infusion of $3.9 million added by the state on top of normal operating expenses a "cut" only makes sense if you can't do math, if you don't understand the difference between a capital outlay and an operating outlay, or if you hate Republicans.

Anchor Rising: More Anti-Palin Pack Journalism

THE WEEKLY STANDARD

by Fred Barnes

Conservatives are rushing to crown Alaska governor Sarah Palin as the new Ronald Reagan. And indeed there are similarities. Like Reagan, Palin has a dazzling star quality and an appeal to voters outside the conservative orbit. But there’s another likeness to Reagan that conservatives may find a bit off-putting. She governs as a pragmatic conservative–with heavy emphasis on the pragmatic.

Palin, John McCain’s vice presidential running mate, is a strong social and religious conservative. She opposes abortion and gay rights and, as an evangelical Christian, believes in a God-centered universe. But these matters are neither her top priorities as governor nor even her second-tier concerns. Her social conservatism has been muted.

Instead, her agenda since being elected governor in 2006 consists of oil and gas, taxes, and ethics reform. “Just look at the bills she put her name on,” says John Bitney, her policy director during her first year as governor. “They speak for themselves.” The bills involved a new arrangement for building a natural gas pipeline, higher taxes on oil companies, and new ethics rules covering the governor’s administration and the legislature.

]

lol, it's always funny that the Palinatics are so irrational in their support for her that they will tout her siding with Alaska Democrats to impose a windfall profits tax on Alaska oil as one of her notable accomplishments.

Go to page 12, post #172. It tells you the why of that tax hike.

Come on, you liberals, you know you want Palin for the GOP, because it will such an easy and sweet victory for you.

Uh-oh.

"...Palin backed abstinence-only education during her 2006 gubernatorial race. In an Eagle Forum Alaska*questionnaire, Palin gave this response to the following question:

Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

Palin: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support."
Palin backed abstinence-only education - First Read - msnbc.com

Yes, she did support abstinence only, as I noted in my post. She no longer does.

Let's note here folks, this poster rejects the WSJ as a valid source yet expects me to take MSNBC as credible. :lol:

I think if you do a little more research, you will find that Palin has opposed sex education of any type except for Abstinence Only and that includes NOT teaching about contraceptives.

It was Palin's DAUGHTER who said a more balanced approach is necessary, but took the words back a day later.

Palin Daughter's Pregnancy Spurs Sex Ed Debate - ABC News

You can actually watch the Fox interview of Bristol Palin here:

Salon.com Mobile

Sarah Palin is also pro-contraception. She was abstinence only but is no longer.

She is Christian and pro-life, but also a supporter of birth control: she's a member of Feminists For Life (FFL), an anti-abortion, pro-contraception organization.

Conservative Believer - Sarah Palin: News and Photos - TIME

Most Republicans have no idea beyond "sound bytes" about anyone they support for public office. The know nothing about previous votes or their educational background. How many knew that John McCain graduated fifth from the bottom out of 899 cadets? That would mean he was the worst in every class he was in. How many look at the worst student in high school or college and say to themselves, "Hmmm, that guy would be a great president". I can tell you without a doubt, exactly "zero".

And how exactly does Obama rate on the college scale? Oh, that's right, he won't even release his transcripts. But he isn't doing this to hide anything . . . he just wants his privacy, right? Give me a break.

As opposed to Sarah Palin who released her transcripts from all 5 colleges she attended? Right? Come on. His transcripts were sealed just before he announced his bid for the presidency just like every politician who ever ran for public office. Why? If they can trash his pastor, a man who served in the Marines, Navy Medical corp and received three White House commendations, and received an honorable discharge during Vietnam, imagine what could they do with Obama's transcripts?

Even still, we know Palin received a D in economics. We know that McCain graduated 5th from the bottom out of 899 graduating class. We know Bush was a C minus student. Palin told us and Bush told us. McCain boasted about his being at the bottom. Republicans seem to be proud of failure. Go figure.

Sarah Palin's Extensive College Career - The Paper Trail (usnews.com)

Sinatra, the far right of the GOP is tepid and near valueless. If you are mistaking the tealaggers as mainstream, you are in for a series of ever increasing disappointments as the Dems take the Pubs to the cleaners the next twelve plus months. Oh, by the by, post your source that you pillaged for your opening paragraphs in #179. I don't even think for a second you came up with that by your lonesome.

Thank you - nice to hear how I have impressed you.

Palin continues to be a major factor in forging a re-awakening of the conservative movement in America.

There is, and will be, a considerable idealogical battle for the future direction of the country.

I for one am thankful for the choice to engage in such a battle - and thankful for Palin and others' voices as we collectively do the work of protecting the freedoms and ideals so many hold as essential to the uniquely American experience...

Uh-oh.

"...Palin backed abstinence-only education during her 2006 gubernatorial race. In an Eagle Forum Alaska*questionnaire, Palin gave this response to the following question:

Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

Palin: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support."
Palin backed abstinence-only education - First Read - msnbc.com

Yes, she did support abstinence only, as I noted in my post. She no longer does.

Let's note here folks, this poster rejects the WSJ as a valid source yet expects me to take MSNBC as credible. :lol:

Sarah Palin is also pro-contraception. She was abstinence only but is no longer.

Most Republicans have no idea beyond "sound bytes" about anyone they support for public office. The know nothing about previous votes or their educational background. How many knew that John McCain graduated fifth from the bottom out of 899 cadets? That would mean he was the worst in every class he was in. How many look at the worst student in high school or college and say to themselves, "Hmmm, that guy would be a great president". I can tell you without a doubt, exactly "zero".

And how exactly does Obama rate on the college scale? Oh, that's right, he won't even release his transcripts. But he isn't doing this to hide anything . . . he just wants his privacy, right? Give me a break.

As opposed to Sarah Palin who released her transcripts from all 5 colleges she attended? Right? Come on. His transcripts were sealed just before he announced his bid for the presidency just like every politician who ever ran for public office. Why? If they can trash his pastor, a man who served in the Marines, Navy Medical corp and received three White House commendations, and received an honorable discharge during Vietnam, imagine what could they do with Obama's transcripts?

Even still, we know Palin received a D in economics. We know that McCain graduated 5th from the bottom out of 899 graduating class. We know Bush was a C minus student. Palin told us and Bush told us. McCain boasted about his being at the bottom. Republicans seem to be proud of failure. Go figure.

Wright trashed himself with his hatefilled, racist, marxist-based preaching. Otherwise, Obama wouldn't have thrown him under the bus. His military service, while commendable, does not erase or lessen his beliefs.

Obama's transcripts would show which classes he took and which marxist professors he admired and sought out. I'd love to read some of his papers from these classes. I can see why he'd want to keep that under wraps. Might look bad.

Wright trashed himself with his hatefilled, racist, marxist-based preaching. Otherwise, Obama wouldn't have thrown him under the bus. His military service, while commendable, does not erase or lessen his beliefs.

Obama's transcripts would show which classes he took and which marxist professors he admired and sought out. I'd love to read some of his papers from these classes. I can see why he'd want to keep that under wraps. Might look bad.

Don't bother with those who would actually attempt to defend Wright. Whatever he might have been - his time as a pastor show him as a man full of contempt for the very country he once served. And let us not forget his most recent anti-semitsm, stating he had not spoken to Obama because "them Jews" won't let him.

We must simply accept the fact that some Americans, including participants in this and other forums, have no problem with figures such as Reverent Wright, Van Jones, William Ayers, etc, because they in fact AGREE with the sentiments of those individuals. It is the benefit of living in such a great nation that provides security far beyond what most in this world have , that allows contempt for that very significant blessing.

Such people are a minority, but a loud and unhappy minority nevertheless...

Actually Wright threw Obama under the bus. It was Obama who tried to defend Wright but Wright wasn't having any of it. Wright comes from another generation. My generation. A generation of "white only". A generation of "Jim Crow" laws. A generation were firemen were hosing children and old ladies with fire hoses and setting vicious dogs on them.

A generation where the Government used hundreds of black men and their wives and children, without their consent or even knowing, for "experiments" in syphilis.

These are what makes Wright angry. Obama didn't live through that. He doesn't share those feelings because he hasn't had those experiences.

This is why Republicans will do anything to hurt someone. They have no heart, no mind and no soul. Just mean spirited and vicious, dirty people. Not all, but many.

norman20rockwell20the20problem20we20all20live20with-491x300.jpg

segregation%20drinking%20fountain.JPG

firehose.jpg

Actually Wright threw Obama under the bus. It was Obama who tried to defend Wright but Wright wasn't having any of it. Wright comes from another generation. My generation. A generation of "white only". A generation of "Jim Crow" laws. A generation were firemen were hosing children and old ladies with fire hoses and setting vicious dogs on them.

A generation where the Government used hundreds of black men and their wives and children, without their consent or even knowing, for "experiments" in syphilis.

These are what makes Wright angry. Obama didn't live through that. He doesn't share those feelings because he hasn't had those experiences.

This is why Republicans will do anything to hurt someone. They have no heart, no mind and no soul. Just mean spirited and vicious, dirty people. Not all, but many.

firehose.jpg

You were making an informative point until that last part.

You have some ability for discourse rdean, but too often get sidetracked by the easier forms of us vs them.

But I really found the majority of that post interesting - hope to see more like that from you minus your concluding statement...

The reasons for Wright's hate of whitey and his anger are irrelevant; Obama sitting in the pew for 20 years and absorbing the fallout of Wright's anger via Wright's BLT-marxist based preaching is relevant.

[

Palin continues to be a major factor in forging a re-awakening of the conservative movement in America.

That's almost what you said in August, except you were a fan of the new/now voice for Republican moderation...Newt...

Palin's chances of being a viable candidate on the national stage remain slim.

That being said, she continues to influence the tone and tenor of the Republican Party, and is playing an integral - and very much essential, role in re-introducing the party to its former conservative roots.

While figures such as Gingrich apply the intellectual base for this re-introduction, Palin has provided the emotional base.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1431004-post92.html

You're right. Newt does apply the 'intellectual base', or put another way, he's the brains of the operation (in a weak field).

That's why he knows Palin's support of Hoffman is idiocy. :lol:

THE WEEKLY STANDARD

by Fred Barnes

]

Go to page 12, post #172. It tells you the why of that tax hike.

I know all about that tax hike. It's part of what led me to discover that before the VP candidate gig, Sarah Palin was not the rightwinger the rightwingers eventually morphed her into.

So what? The message is more important than the seat. If Republicans want to get elected they better be conservatives.

The People decide who sits in the seat. The People are the most important element.

I agree. And the conservative people want a real conservative.

Well, they get to vote for one in NY23. So far it appears that about 1 in 5 in the district agree with you.

The reasons for Wright's hate of whitey and his anger are irrelevant; Obama sitting in the pew for 20 years and absorbing the fallout of Wright's anger via Wright's BLT-marxist based preaching is relevant.

See, you have been listening to the talking points for much too long. All those sound bytes that Fox used against Wright came from 2 or three speeches. Who even knows what sparked those? Maybe Rodney King or something like that. Fox just played the same ones over and over and over and over. Never, ever once mentioning his military service. Never. Not once. Republicans just latch on to one thing and then use it like a hammer. No one is going to sit and listen to 20 years of hate. It's so stupid, you wonder, who could possibly believe this? Oh, sorry. Well, it's like believing in "death panels". Come on.

They tried it when they accused Obama of teaching adult sex to preschoolers. That lasted about a minute because it was so over the top and so nasty and dirty, even America couldn't stomach it. It made Republicans look like scumbags.

They tried it with Bill Ayers. Obama was eight years old when Ayers was breaking the law. Obama and Ayers served on different boards at the same foundation. The Walter Annenberg Foundation founded by conservative and friend of Ronald Reagan, which is why I suspect Obama is such an admirer of Reagan (though I'm not). Obama attended a fundraiser at Ayers house AND WENT TO ABOUT TWENTY OTHER HOUSES THAT SAME DAY, but Fox ALWAYS leaves that out. See, that's how they do it. The report only part of a story. Part of Wright's. Part of Ayers. Innuendo and slant.

Factcheck Run by Conservative Philanthropist Annenberg Foundation, Page 2 of 3 - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

The Murdoch Connection
In 1988, Annenberg sold Triangle to media giant Rupert Murdoch. This transaction effectively ensured that the conservative slant of Annenberg's various publications would remain intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
[

That's almost what you said in August, except you were a fan of the new/now voice for Republican moderation...Newt...

Palin's chances of being a viable candidate on the national stage remain slim.

That being said, she continues to influence the tone and tenor of the Republican Party, and is playing an integral - and very much essential, role in re-introducing the party to its former conservative roots.

While figures such as Gingrich apply the intellectual base for this re-introduction, Palin has provided the emotional base.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1431004-post92.html

You're right. Newt does apply the 'intellectual base', or put another way, he's the brains of the operation (in a weak field).

That's why he knows Palin's support of Hoffman is idiocy. :lol:

I stand by that well-spoken statement!

I am a fan of Gingrich and have been for some time.

There is room in the party for both the likes of Gingrich and Palin - in fact, I would state both are very much needed.

firehose.jpg

You have some ability for discourse rdean, but too often get sidetracked by the easier forms of us vs them.

But I really found the majority of that post interesting - hope to see more like that from you minus your concluding statement

I can't help it. It's how I feel. The current Republican party seems to hate this country. First, the damage they caused for the last eight years has been immense. Then, rather than showing a shred of support for the new president or taking a thread of responsibility, they want to blame all that fail on the Democrats. It's staggering.

I've heard Hannity and Billo talk about the success in Iraq. Never do they mention the ravaged Christian population of what has been done to women in Iraq. Never.

Billo even talked about an 11 year old rape victim, Shawn Hornbeck and how he "liked it". Odious, dirty man.

Republicans have tied themselves to these kinds of people. Dirty damaged people. It's why only 20% of Americans will admit to being Republican. When I was a kid, for many, being a Republican brought them some kind of status. Now it's an embarrassment.

And they are looking at Sarah Palin as a "leader"? Is this a joke? Like I said, her speeches have been turned into Emmy winning comedy sketches simply by reading them back word for word. How can that be? I don't see the Republican party improving any time soon. And if the Republicans on this board are any indication, possibly not until this entire generation dies.

firehose.jpg

But I really found the majority of that post interesting - hope to see more like that from you minus your concluding statement

I can't help it. It's how I feel. The current Republican party seems to hate this country. First, the damage they caused for the last eight years has been immense. Then, rather than showing a shred of support for the new president or taking a thread of responsibility, they want to blame all that fail on the Democrats. It's staggering.

I've heard Hannity and Billo talk about the success in Iraq. Never do they mention the ravaged Christian population of what has been done to women in Iraq. Never.

Billo even talked about an 11 year old rape victim, Shawn Hornbeck and how he "liked it". Odious, dirty man.

Republicans have tied themselves to these kinds of people. Dirty damaged people. It's why only 20% of Americans will admit to being Republican. When I was a kid, for many, being a Republican brought them some kind of status. Now it's an embarrassment.

And they are looking at Sarah Palin as a "leader"? Is this a joke? Like I said, her speeches have been turned into Emmy winning comedy sketches simply by reading them back word for word. How can that be? I don't see the Republican party improving any time soon. And if the Republicans on this board are any indication, possibly not until this entire generation dies.

Many feel the same way about the Democrat Party - thus the 5 point lead in the generic ballot in favor of the Republicans.

I lean Conservative - I make no bones about that.

In the end I want leaders - that is what this country needs.

I don't care if there is an R or a D after the name - give me leadership.

The current crop of Dems are not leaders.

The most recent past crop of Republicans were not leaders.

Palin is pushing for actual leadership, and I appreciate that. You may disagree with that, and that is fine.

But in the end, I do believe we both want to see real leadership for America...

Forum List

Back