Saving the world again. Illegal to release balloons in the air.

PORTLAND, Maine — The tradition of releasing balloons at weddings, birthdays and memorials may soon get deflated by lawmakers in more than half a dozen states.

Critics say the helium-filled balloons pollute the environment, and threaten birds and other wildlife when they fall to earth.

“People don’t really realize that it’s littering. That’s why we want to bring attention to this,” said state Rep. Lydia Blume, who’s supporting a balloon bill in Maine. “It’s a common sense thing.”

Nationwide, there’s a growing awareness of the problem, and it has energized legislation in state governments. Bills to limit the intentional release of large numbers of balloons are being aired in legislatures in Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island, in addition to Maine, said Jennifer Schultz of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Lawmakers in several states consider making balloon releases illegal

I guess they're not going to stop until they ruin everybody's fun. I can hear the talk in jail now:

What are you here for?
Attempted armed robbery. How about you?
Felonious assault. How about you at the end of the bench. What are you here for?
Releasing helium balloons in the air.

When all you legislatures have to do is contemplate goofy laws like this, it's time to elect other people.
Littering...those balloons land somewhere....unless if you are willing to tra k them and clean them.

You're going to find ten times more garbage on any given highway in the US. Balloons are not that big of a deal.
Its not a litter issue. Its an animal welfare issue.

According to the article it's about the environment. Do humans realize that animals eat each other all the time? That they fight with each other sometimes to the death; especially during mating season?
So that gives you the right to litter the world ?
Can I fly 2000 balloons to your house. And dont be mad if you untangled from your trees, rooftop and backyard.

You honestly can't see how that is littering?

If the concern is about littering, there are plenty of larger fish to fry.

What other concern would there be?

Look on any highway. You're not going to see many balloons littering the side of the road.

I did that driving home today, due to this thread. My commute is 35 miles one way, I saw basically no trash outside of rubber from blown semi tires. So I guess we do not need any littering laws.

Because the state or county sends people out to clean those highways.

So I guess we do not need any littering laws

Perhaps the funniest scene in TV since Ralph Kramden danced the Hucklebuck.

According to the article it's about the environment. Do humans realize that animals eat each other all the time? That they fight with each other sometimes to the death; especially during mating season?

Does this mean you are against animal cruelty laws since animals are cruel to each other?

Look on any highway. You're not going to see many balloons littering the side of the road.

I did that driving home today, due to this thread. My commute is 35 miles one way, I saw basically no trash outside of rubber from blown semi tires. So I guess we do not need any littering laws.

Sure we do, for real litter. This proposal in the OP is similar to making law against bottle caps. Bottle caps are not the problem when we talk about littering.

I love how foreign collusion with Mexican cheap labor (project brazos) morphed into sanctuary cities nobody got to vote on. Anyone get to vote on whether their city/state was a sanctuary for illegal aliens? NO? But the Russians did this and that....really? Foreign collusion? Sanctuary cities? Yeah how about THAT. Why we pander to MEXICAN illegals, above all other immigrants that actually immigrate legally? Isn't that unconstitutional? seems to me we can get enough lawyers to challenge the constitutionality of sanctuary cities/states. Why isn't that happening? I am myself about to do that...care to join me?

Last edited:

Sure we do, for real litter. This proposal in the OP is similar to making law against bottle caps. Bottle caps are not the problem when we talk about littering.

so balloons are not real litter...got it.

Do people send 39,000 bottle caps in to the sky at once to start a race?

Does this mean you are against animal cruelty laws since animals are cruel to each other?

Some of them, yes I am. You can get more time in jail for beating your dog than beating your wife these days. It's supported by the people who humanize animals. For instance I have a stray cat problem over here. The city says they will pickup the cats, have them neutered, and return them back to my property. They can't kill the stupid cats. If I do, I'm breaking the law and can be fined or jailed.

No, balloons are not real litter. When I start finding balloons all over the place like I do cans, bottles and broken bottles, then it's real litter.

PORTLAND, Maine — The tradition of releasing balloons at weddings, birthdays and memorials may soon get deflated by lawmakers in more than half a dozen states.

Critics say the helium-filled balloons pollute the environment, and threaten birds and other wildlife when they fall to earth.

“People don’t really realize that it’s littering. That’s why we want to bring attention to this,” said state Rep. Lydia Blume, who’s supporting a balloon bill in Maine. “It’s a common sense thing.”

Nationwide, there’s a growing awareness of the problem, and it has energized legislation in state governments. Bills to limit the intentional release of large numbers of balloons are being aired in legislatures in Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island, in addition to Maine, said Jennifer Schultz of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

I guess they're not going to stop until they ruin everybody's fun. I can hear the talk in jail now:

What are you here for?
Felonious assault. How about you at the end of the bench. What are you here for?

When all you legislatures have to do is contemplate goofy laws like this, it's time to elect other people.
Littering...those balloons land somewhere....unless if you are willing to tra k them and clean them.

You're going to find ten times more garbage on any given highway in the US. Balloons are not that big of a deal.
Its not a litter issue. Its an animal welfare issue.

So that gives you the right to litter the world ?
Can I fly 2000 balloons to your house. And dont be mad if you untangled from your trees, rooftop and backyard.

Sure, go ahead.

No, balloons are not real litter. When I start finding balloons all over the place like I do cans, bottles and broken bottles, then it's real litter.

I have not seen any of those things just lying around in longer than I can recall...I guess they are not real litter either.

I have not seen any of those things just lying around in longer than I can recall...I guess they are not real litter either.

No, if you don't see that crap around, it's not litter. Here, our highways and roadways do have that stuff all over the place, so yes, that's litter.

Is is really any different than any other anti-littering law?

if someone came up and dropped 50 popped balloons in your yard would you be happy about it?

That has to be the most ridiculous line of thought I've seen lately. The odds of even one balloon landing in anyone's yard is astronomical.

The odds of a Styrofoam cup thrown out of a car landing in a yard is astronomical yet I never heard you folks whining about other anti-littering laws before

LMAO, I've picked up a lot of cups and cans, never a balloon. So your math skills are deficient.

you must have some damn trashy neighbors I have never picked up any of those things from my yard. You might want to talk to you neighbors.

Actually I think it's due to careless trash men.

What are you here for?

You honestly can't see how that is littering?

LoL...
Surely they exist elsewhere.
Are you suggesting the disappear? Perhaps to the land of wishes and dreams? :laugh2:

It's not,dope. Bottlecaps are biodegradable. Balloons are not.

You are truly dopey.
So...if it's not within your direct experience, it's not real?
What a stupid and immature argument.

These are biodegradable?

category-vintage-bottle-caps.jpg

These are biodegradable?

category-vintage-bottle-caps.jpg

They're steel....no?

I love how foreign collusion with Mexican cheap labor (project brazos) morphed into sanctuary cities nobody got to vote on. Anyone get to vote on whether their city/state was a sanctuary for illegal aliens? NO? But the Russians did this and that....really? Foreign collusion? Sanctuary cities? Yeah how about THAT. Why we pander to MEXICAN illegals, above all other immigrants that actually immigrate legally? Isn't that unconstitutional? seems to me we can get enough lawyers to challenge the constitutionality of sanctuary cities/states. Why isn't that happening? I am myself about to do that...care to join me?
Haven't you figured it out yet. The Democratic party has ran out of sane legal members who will vote for them so they are looking for replacements by importing illegals. The end game is to give illegals the vote. Democrats are just that desperate. Hell they're even turning to the crooks in our jails, trying to lower the voting age so toddlers can vote, anything to survive except act in a responsible, thoughtful and adult manner.

Haven't you figured it out yet. The Democratic party has ran out of sane legal members who will vote for them so they are looking for replacements by importing illegals. The end game is to give illegals the vote. Democrats are just that desperate. Hell they're even turning to the crooks in our jails, trying to lower the voting age so toddlers can vote, anything to survive except act in a responsible, thoughtful and adult manner.

Survive?

3 million more votes than Trump, dope.

Forum List

Back