Saving the world again. Illegal to release balloons in the air.

LoL...
Surely they exist elsewhere.
Are you suggesting the disappear? Perhaps to the land of wishes and dreams? :laugh2:

Right, they just happen to land where nobody sees them.

So....out of sight means harmless?

What it means is it's not happening as much as you think.

It is, dope. 30k balloons even one time is too much.

You might just as well dump those balloons from an airplane.

No problem......right?

So how many times do people float 30 thousand balloons? The balloons would be expensive enough, but then consider the helium to make them float.

That's what the proposed law addresses, dope.

Sure we do, for real litter. This proposal in the OP is similar to making law against bottle caps. Bottle caps are not the problem when we talk about littering.

so balloons are not real litter...got it.

Do people send 39,000 bottle caps in to the sky at once to start a race?

No, balloons are not real litter. When I start finding balloons all over the place like I do cans, bottles and broken bottles, then it's real litter.

You are truly dopey.
So...if it's not within your direct experience, it's not real?
What a stupid and immature argument.

The only thing stupid is legislatures wasting taxpayer money and creating a new law for anything under the sun; even if it's not a real problem.

Sorry, but I have never experienced balloon threats where I live, and I would like to know where these places are at where balloons are flying everywhere and destroying nature or the environment. At least over here, I can't remember the last time I seen a balloon flying around.
i've never experienced murder where i live. rape either. counterfeiting? nope. i can't remember the last time i saw any of that at my house, so let's just do away with those laws also.

to be honest, not seen much litter around my house either. neighbors dog shit at times in my yard. who knows what my own dog will carry to the backyard at times but hey - we can ditch litter laws cause i've never seen litter at my house.

it does seem minor. yes. it seems like we've done it for a long time as harmless fun sure. but if these actions we are taking cause it's fun and pretty are in fact hurting others in some fashion, why dismiss it? i thought it was pretty stupid also til i googled pics of wildlife killed cause we wanted to set a balloon release record. a rescue mission in cleveland couldn't get through the water to see people who may need help because of all the balloons on the water from that release. 2 people did die. balloon direct relation, who knows. but still that's got to be a shitload of popped balloons now on the water. who cleans that up?

or is murder only murder if you find a dead body directly, yourself?

So now you're comparing balloons to murder?

If you read the Cleveland article, you'd find out those balloons were biodegradable. I've lived here all my life. Trust me, once a body is in the water, the only way it's coming out is in a body bag. Very few have ever survived the wrath of Lake Erie unless they were wearing a flotation device or holding on to an overturned boat. As far as the airport is concerned, very few planes take off or land there. Mostly it's small private craft and the only real use we have for that airport is the annual air show. They've talked about closing it down for decades now. If need be, planes can land at the Cleveland International airport which is about 15 miles away.

No, balloons are not real litter. When I start finding balloons all over the place like I do cans, bottles and broken bottles, then it's real litter.

You are truly dopey.

The only thing stupid is legislatures wasting taxpayer money and creating a new law for anything under the sun; even if it's not a real problem.

Sorry, but I have never experienced balloon threats where I live, and I would like to know where these places are at where balloons are flying everywhere and destroying nature or the environment. At least over here, I can't remember the last time I seen a balloon flying around.
i've never experienced murder where i live. rape either. counterfeiting? nope. i can't remember the last time i saw any of that at my house, so let's just do away with those laws also.

to be honest, not seen much litter around my house either. neighbors dog shit at times in my yard. who knows what my own dog will carry to the backyard at times but hey - we can ditch litter laws cause i've never seen litter at my house.

it does seem minor. yes. it seems like we've done it for a long time as harmless fun sure. but if these actions we are taking cause it's fun and pretty are in fact hurting others in some fashion, why dismiss it? i thought it was pretty stupid also til i googled pics of wildlife killed cause we wanted to set a balloon release record. a rescue mission in cleveland couldn't get through the water to see people who may need help because of all the balloons on the water from that release. 2 people did die. balloon direct relation, who knows. but still that's got to be a shitload of popped balloons now on the water. who cleans that up?

If you read the Cleveland article, you'd find out those balloons were biodegradable. I've lived here all my life. Trust me, once a body is in the water, the only way it's coming out is in a body bag. Very few have ever survived the wrath of Lake Erie unless they were wearing a flotation device or holding on to an overturned boat. As far as the airport is concerned, very few planes take off or land there. Mostly it's small private craft and the only real use we have for that airport is the annual air show. They've talked about closing it down for decades now. If need be, planes can land at the Cleveland International airport which is about 15 miles away.

A biodegradable balloon takes up to 4 years to breakdown, in the meantime they are litter and a danger to wildlife, which you have already admitted to not giving a shit about.

You are truly dopey.

actually no - but the way i phrased it opened me up for that question / reply.

you said you never found a balloon yourself, ergo, it's not a problem. well have you ever found a dead body? if someone else found a murdered victim and it wasn't you, is it really a problem?

just because we don't face some of these things or are directly effected in a way we can tangibly see doesn't mean it isn't a valid issue. 4 years to degrade isn't that quick, now is it?

seriously - google balloons and wildlife and see what can and does happen. i see that and am not a fan. i can live w/o seeing 1.5 million balloons released if it means wildlife won't suffer for my OOHS and AHHS. we can find another way to celebrate that doesn't cause that kind of damage, can't we?

You are truly dopey.

you said you never found a balloon yourself, ergo, it's not a problem. well have you ever found a dead body? if someone else found a murdered victim and it wasn't you, is it really a problem?

just because we don't face some of these things or are directly effected in a way we can tangibly see doesn't mean it isn't a valid issue. 4 years to degrade isn't that quick, now is it?

seriously - google balloons and wildlife and see what can and does happen. i see that and am not a fan. i can live w/o seeing 1.5 million balloons released if it means wildlife won't suffer for my OOHS and AHHS. we can find another way to celebrate that doesn't cause that kind of damage, can't we?

If we are going to change the way we celebrate because of every bug, animal or tree, then we won't be able to celebrate anything at all. It's a ridiculous analogy to compare something like murder to balloons. Just because I've never been raped doesn't mean rape is nonexistent. It does happen and can happen anywhere. So we have laws to stop things like that because they seriously affect human beings as well as others associated with the victim.

If people launch some balloons and a bird or fish dies, that's different than if a family member is affected by a crime. I don't worry about birds and fish because God is making plenty of them. That's why animal society is all about killing each other for survival.

My opinion is if you feel the way you do, then don't launch balloons yourself. Don't let your children do it or boycott events that do launch balloons. But for crying out loud, do we really need our legislatures creating yet more laws we don't need because of birds?

helium-filled balloons pollute the environment

Every molecule of Helium released into the atmosphere, comes from the atmosphere. That's not pollution, that's returning Helium to its natural habitat.

Born-Free-Black-LAN-RGB.jpg

You are truly dopey.

If we are going to change the way we celebrate because of every bug, animal or tree, then we won't be able to celebrate anything at all. It's a ridiculous analogy to compare something like murder to balloons. Just because I've never been raped doesn't mean rape is nonexistent. It does happen and can happen anywhere. So we have laws to stop things like that because they seriously affect human beings as well as others associated with the victim.

If people launch some balloons and a bird or fish dies, that's different than if a family member is affected by a crime. I don't worry about birds and fish because God is making plenty of them. That's why animal society is all about killing each other for survival.

My opinion is if you feel the way you do, then don't launch balloons yourself. Don't let your children do it or boycott events that do launch balloons. But for crying out loud, do we really need our legislatures creating yet more laws we don't need because of birds?

God calls you to be a good steward of the earth...do you think needlessly killing His creations is following that direction?

God calls you to be a good steward of the earth...do you think needlessly killing His creations is following that direction?

People do it every day.

helium-filled balloons pollute the environment

Every molecule of Helium released into the atmosphere, comes from the atmosphere. That's not pollution, that's returning Helium to its natural habitat.

every drop of oil put back into the ground came from the ground, so there is no reason we should just not dump our used motor oil wherever we see fit.

Every beer can that drooped on the ground came from the ground, so we can all just throw them wherever we want.

every drop of oil put back into the ground came from the ground, so there is no reason we should just not dump our used motor oil wherever we see fit.

Agreed, makes the seedlings slip into the soil without even digging.

People do it every day.

And that means that God approves? Or do you not really care about God and just used him name to make some meaningless point?

Do you even believe in God?

Better than releasing doves

But still a senseless thing to do

You are truly dopey.

up until today i never thought much about it. it came up and i googled what happens in the aftermath and it doesnt seem worth it to me. i do agree we are hitting a point where we must pass a law for everythibg and no i dont think this should be illegal. but i also dont think we can jyst dismiss our impact on others either.

up until today i never thought much about it. it came up and i googled what happens in the aftermath and it doesnt seem worth it to me. i do agree we are hitting a point where we must pass a law for everythibg and no i dont think this should be illegal. but i also dont think we can jyst dismiss our impact on others either.

The point of the OP is less if balloons are good or bad than it was creating laws about it. It's a very similar topic to making laws against plastic straws or NYC consideration of banning dogs and all processed foods. Pretty soon we will be regulated out of what kind of toilet paper we desire.

People do it every day.

And that means that God approves? Or do you not really care about God and just used him name to make some meaningless point?

Environmentalists could make the same case about cars, electricity, trains, and just about any convenience we have in life. So do we get rid of everything because of what we suppose God would want?

Each Day A Cruise Ship Emits As Much Pollution As A Million Cars

People do it every day.

Environmentalists could make the same case about cars, electricity, trains, and just about any convenience we have in life. So do we get rid of everything because of what we suppose God would want?

People do it every day.

Very much so.

People do it every day.

Very much so.

Do you think that mindless killing His creations for 35 seconds of "fun" follows the edict He gave as far as taking care of His creation?

Forum List

Back