Saving the world again. Illegal to release balloons in the air.

It is government over reach, and a waste of time, and resorurces for a very small problem. Yes, I've seen the pictures. There lots of bigger problems government should be worried about. This is silly.

If they have that much time on their hands, their numbers need to be GREATLY reduced.
It's not government overreach to stop littering. What are you talking about? Don't even tell me. I don't want to hear any Constitutional horseshit--it's too early in the morning.

It has nothing to do with the Constitution, although I know you hate it. It is COST/BENEFIT. Why are these people spending their valuable time passing nonsense laws about balloons? So what a few birds die. I don't give a crap. Birds, animals and PEOPLE are dying every day.
first - where does she say she hates the constitution? these flings into drama sure don't help rational conversations.

if litter, laws already cover it. enforce them.

and your not giving a crap isn't a blanket policy.
Iceberg, if releasing massive numbers of balloons was already covered in littering laws, people would not be doing it. That is why adding it to existing laws would make sense. I can see why. I have never been to an event that released massive numbers of balloons, but apparently in more civilized areas, it's common. And since all the balloons eventually break and fall to earth as latex litter, I don't see why it should be any skin off anyone's nose to outlaw it. Do a bunch of these folks own balloon stores or what?
in research - it varies. some towns DO prohibit it already, no laws needed. permission is simply not given to do it. like needing a permit for a rally or something, maybe you need a permit to release thousands of balloons into the sky.

i would think littering is littering whether you're doing it to chunk something out of your car or releasing the balloons. id need to ask someone who actually makes the laws why just calling it littering and giving a warning until people understand to stop.
Releasing thousands of balloons gives you 30 seconds of enjoyment and then they become someone else’s problem

One of your balloons lands in my tree and I have to spend months looking at it dangling from a branch

Can I call those who released it to come and take it down!

There are already existing laws against littering, yet these politicians waste their time and OUR TAX DOLLARS passing new unenforceable laws.

Littering is unenforceable. Once you find a stray balloon you have no way of determining ownership

Banning people from releasing them in the first place is enforceable

It's not government overreach to stop littering. What are you talking about? Don't even tell me. I don't want to hear any Constitutional horseshit--it's too early in the morning.

It has nothing to do with the Constitution, although I know you hate it. It is COST/BENEFIT. Why are these people spending their valuable time passing nonsense laws about balloons? So what a few birds die. I don't give a crap. Birds, animals and PEOPLE are dying every day.
first - where does she say she hates the constitution? these flings into drama sure don't help rational conversations.

Iceberg, if releasing massive numbers of balloons was already covered in littering laws, people would not be doing it. That is why adding it to existing laws would make sense. I can see why. I have never been to an event that released massive numbers of balloons, but apparently in more civilized areas, it's common. And since all the balloons eventually break and fall to earth as latex litter, I don't see why it should be any skin off anyone's nose to outlaw it. Do a bunch of these folks own balloon stores or what?
in research - it varies. some towns DO prohibit it already, no laws needed. permission is simply not given to do it. like needing a permit for a rally or something, maybe you need a permit to release thousands of balloons into the sky.

i would think littering is littering whether you're doing it to chunk something out of your car or releasing the balloons. id need to ask someone who actually makes the laws why just calling it littering and giving a warning until people understand to stop.
Releasing thousands of balloons gives you 30 seconds of enjoyment and then they become someone else’s problem

One of your balloons lands in my tree and I have to spend months looking at it dangling from a branch

give it a shot.

I remember about 25 years ago, I found one of those balloons dangling from a low tree branch. It had a little paper slip saying if you found the balloon to contact a nearby school so they could tell how far it travelled

I was headed on a business trip to California the next Monday, so I brought the deflated balloon with me.

Once I got to California, I dangled it from a tree near a school. About a week later, the local newspaper ran a story about how a local school had released balloons and one had traveled all the way to California

There are already existing laws against littering, yet these politicians waste their time and OUR TAX DOLLARS passing new unenforceable laws.
Actually, it shouldn't be hard at all to spot a thousand balloons being released. Easy to figure out who to fine.

I remember about 25 years ago, I found one of those balloons dangling from a low tree branch. It had a little paper slip saying if you found the balloon to contact a nearby school so they could tell how far it travelled

I was headed on a business trip to California the next Monday, so I brought the deflated balloon with me.

Once I got to California, I dangled it from a tree near a school. About a week later, the local newspaper ran a story about how a local school had released balloons and one had traveled all the way to California
You naughty boy. That's funny, though.

The thing is ....there is no way a rubber balloon could travel that far
You would think if all the balloons landed within ten miles that they would be suspicious of one that landed in California

But they ran to the local paper with their amazing story and the paper printed it

You would think if all the balloons landed within ten miles that they would be suspicious of one that landed in California

But they ran to the local paper with their amazing story and the paper printed it
Kind of like the message in the bottle that was found 45 years later in China or something. When I was a kid we all wanted to send messages in a bottle, but they didn't have screw on tops at that point, so we couldn't figure out how to make it water tight.

:CryingCow:

Job security

Kind of like the message in the bottle that was found 45 years later in China or something. When I was a kid we all wanted to send messages in a bottle, but they didn't have screw on tops at that point, so we couldn't figure out how to make it water tight.
I once shot a chipmunk, and sent it to Washington DC... in care of the IRS.

Never did hear back from them

Alvin?

Alvin?
Actually, I named him Al Gore...

Wait for a wind storm or hard rain. It will come down by itself.

Thought I'd check in on this thread--can't believe we have sixteen pages of argument on this. It IS littering and it IS dangerous to wildlife. What's to object to?
Anyway, I see God is now involved, so all is well.
LOL

It is government over reach, and a waste of time, and resorurces for a very small problem. Yes, I've seen the pictures. There lots of bigger problems government should be worried about. This is silly.

If they have that much time on their hands, their numbers need to be GREATLY reduced.

The suburb I live in and surrounding suburbs adopted a fireworks law. They were sick of getting calls from party poopers who keep calling police on Forth of July.

I didn't notice a difference in the amount of fireworks I heard. I knew one guy who got the fine though. He said it was worth paying the stupid $500.00 given the fact he spent over $2,000.00 in fireworks. And he said he's going to do the same thing this year.

i went to a private catholic school also.

balloon fears never came up.

Did being a good steward of God's creation ever come up?

Or do Catholics not buy into that part of the bible?

I didn't want to get into this, however you keep pushing this issue.

Your claim is that you are a career military man, is that correct?

And when you joined the military and decided to make a life out of it, you did so with the full knowledge you may be participating in killing your fellow man, possibly blowing up villages, killing women and children alike, correct?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-military or anti-vet. In fact I have the highest respect for our citizens who volunteer to fight for our country. But I also think that as such, you are not in a position to sit in judgement on behalf of God as to what my stance is when it comes to God's creations.

Nor am I trying to create an analogy between balloons killing birds or fish and your valuable service to our country. My only point is that as human beings, we don't always prioritize "God's creations" when we make such decisions. And I also think, God doesn't really expect us to.

The bible is filled with God honoring men whom were in the military of their country. King David, Joshua, Gideon, and even the Roman Centurion. Being in the military does not mean one kills indiscriminately or for the pleasure of it. While there are those that join the military that do those things, they are not the norm.

I do think that God expects us to, and we all fail at times that is for sure. I am just a bit taken back by the caviler attitude towards unneeded suffering of animals, the idea it is ok for them to suffer and die from a balloon because God will just make more.
well now, that would depend on your religion, now wouldn't it?

like i said - you think you're waving around an "ace" in this game with it as if we should all cower down to your interpretation of "religion" and what God would want. ya know, if people knew exactly what God wanted we'd not have a shitload of religions now would we? so obviously there is room to interpret the bible now isn't there?

once again we fall back to YOUR version being the benchmark WE should aim for.

let me know how that works for you.

I did not bring god into the discussion, he did. I just went through the door that he opened. If you proper cannot take the heat stay out of the damn kitchen

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Wait a minute........just who brought up God into this discussion?

Did being a good steward of God's creation ever come up?

Or do Catholics not buy into that part of the bible?

I didn't want to get into this, however you keep pushing this issue.

Your claim is that you are a career military man, is that correct?

And when you joined the military and decided to make a life out of it, you did so with the full knowledge you may be participating in killing your fellow man, possibly blowing up villages, killing women and children alike, correct?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-military or anti-vet. In fact I have the highest respect for our citizens who volunteer to fight for our country. But I also think that as such, you are not in a position to sit in judgement on behalf of God as to what my stance is when it comes to God's creations.

Nor am I trying to create an analogy between balloons killing birds or fish and your valuable service to our country. My only point is that as human beings, we don't always prioritize "God's creations" when we make such decisions. And I also think, God doesn't really expect us to.

The bible is filled with God honoring men whom were in the military of their country. King David, Joshua, Gideon, and even the Roman Centurion. Being in the military does not mean one kills indiscriminately or for the pleasure of it. While there are those that join the military that do those things, they are not the norm.

I do think that God expects us to, and we all fail at times that is for sure. I am just a bit taken back by the caviler attitude towards unneeded suffering of animals, the idea it is ok for them to suffer and die from a balloon because God will just make more.
well now, that would depend on your religion, now wouldn't it?

like i said - you think you're waving around an "ace" in this game with it as if we should all cower down to your interpretation of "religion" and what God would want. ya know, if people knew exactly what God wanted we'd not have a shitload of religions now would we? so obviously there is room to interpret the bible now isn't there?

once again we fall back to YOUR version being the benchmark WE should aim for.

let me know how that works for you.

I did not bring god into the discussion, he did. I just went through the door that he opened. If you proper cannot take the heat stay out of the damn kitchen

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Wait a minute........just who brought up God into this discussion?

you did. at 6:47 last night....I don't worry about birds and fish because God is making plenty of them.

Forum List

Back