SC Sheriff defies Obama order to fly flag half staff for Nelson Mandela

Flag flies at full-staff despite presidential order - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Keep it classy Republicans. In ultra right wing upstate South Carolina, a sheriff has decided to defy President Obama's order to fly the flag at half-staff for Nelson Mandela. He says only US citizens deserve that. Wow, way to stay classy and honor one if this Earth's most noble humans to have lived on it.

On a BRIGHTER note....you right wingers can relax. See? Police DO NOT have to follow Obama's orders. They are not under his Chain of Command. So, he cant order them to do shit, like take yer guns.

Only the military, through martial law, can do the nightmarish stuff you think the gubmint is gonna do to you. Yet....you always support massive funding and NEVER cuts to the very entity that is the only capable one of inflicting true tyranny on you. Hmmmmm.

Meanwhile, millions are losing their health insurance and Miley Cyrus stained her teeth gold.

MILEY DID WHAT? OMG!

/sarcasm

People who can name all the members of the Steelers starting lineup but don't know what the last name of the House minority whip is are the kind of people letting the Republic degenerate into a fascist dictatorship.

As opposed to our founders who fought for what they believed in?

lol

I was going to mock you, but then I realized you actually don't grasp the difference between using military force to drive out foreign rulers and using terrorism to attack your own government and people. You actually don't, do you?

We were British and the British government was our government. I can't believe you didn't know that.

No, I can believe that.

I already said I realized you actually don't grasp the difference, you didn't need to demonstrate it.

Republicans insist they aren't racist. These posts prove otherwise.

I was going to mock you, but then I realized you actually don't grasp the difference between using military force to drive out foreign rulers and using terrorism to attack your own government and people. You actually don't, do you?

We were British and the British government was our government. I can't believe you didn't know that.

No, I can believe that.

I already said I realized you actually don't grasp the difference, you didn't need to demonstrate it.

By that time we no longer considered ourselves Brits but Americans.

NYC doesn't grasp that a Brit is someone who was born and grew up in the British isles, and seems to think being Brit means you are a subject of the Crown, lol.

Aussies and Indians would probably not find his opinion worth much, nor should they.

The point is...its kinda just the civil thing to do. And this tea party sheriff just had to take a stand that makes it look like he's defying Obama. He didn't have to follow the directive. Only Feds have to. But, he sure made a point to draw attention to his "Look at me, I disobeyed Obama" stance.

it doesn't look like he's defying Obama, he is defying Obama.

:up:

The President can order the Flag to fly at half-staff for Foreign Dignitaries.

United States Flag Code

(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day, the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a state, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any state, territory, or possession of the United States or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff, and the same authority is provided to the Mayor of the District of Columbia with respect to present or former officials of the District of Columbia and members of the Armed Forces from the District of Columbia. When the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, or the Mayor of the District of Columbia, issues a proclamation under the preceding sentence that the National flag be flown at half-staff in that State, territory, or possession or in the District of Columbia because of the death of a member of the Armed Forces, the National flag flown at any Federal installation or facility in the area covered by that proclamation shall be flown at half-staff consistent with that proclamation.

The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice-President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice-President, or the Governor of a state, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress.

The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection —

See highlighted portion.

No, I can believe that.

By that time we no longer considered ourselves Brits but Americans.

NYC doesn't grasp that a Brit is someone who was born and grew up in the British isles, and seems to think being Brit means you are a subject of the Crown, lol.

Aussies and Indians would probably not find his opinion worth much, nor should they.

True dat. And even if we were "Brits" we were still ruled from overseas. We were trying to drive them out, not kill them, again demonstrating your point we did not consider ourselves "Brits." That we were British because the British called us British so we were attacking our own government is circular logic.

We also created an army that fought their army, we didn't practice terrorism to just murder people or troops for non-military purposes.

I stopped explaining why her points are wrong to her unless she actually reads, processes and responds to the point. There's no purpose in specifically addressing her fly-by points.

Last edited:
The American flag that flies over the Pickens County Sheriff’s Office will be raised high tonight despite an order by President Barack Obama that flags across the country be lowered to half-staff to honor the death of iconic South African leader Nelson Mandela.

Sheriff Rick Clark told The Greenville News that he has ordered the flag be raised at the end of today because he said the honor of lowering flags to half-staff should be reserved for Americans.

“The flag at half-staff is for Americans’ ultimate sacrifice for our country,” Clark said. “We should never stray away from that.”

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/art...es-lower-flag-Mandela?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

It's scary that there are so many ignorant people in power in SC.

SC was were the bigoted south decided they wanted to protect the right to own people as property. They burned for it.

This pathetic little man will burn for this.

The American flag that flies over the Pickens County Sheriff’s Office will be raised high tonight despite an order by President Barack Obama that flags across the country be lowered to half-staff to honor the death of iconic South African leader Nelson Mandela.

Sheriff Rick Clark told The Greenville News that he has ordered the flag be raised at the end of today because he said the honor of lowering flags to half-staff should be reserved for Americans.

“The flag at half-staff is for Americans’ ultimate sacrifice for our country,” Clark said. “We should never stray away from that.”

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/art...es-lower-flag-Mandela?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

SC was were the bigoted south decided they wanted to protect the right to own people as property. They burned for it.

Are you going to carry out that threat, tough guy?

So because a sheriff does this, this make all the people in SC ignorant?

this is the prime example of the so called, TOLERANT LEFT/liberal/Democrat/progressive/commie folks

If you don't want to honor someone who isn't an American citizen you will be forced to by them or called racist or ignorant and get 15 threads posted on it

Nah...it's no big thing. It's like flying a Southern Cross Segregationist flag....just helps point out that type. :D

The point is...its kinda just the civil thing to do. And this tea party sheriff just had to take a stand that makes it look like he's defying Obama. He didn't have to follow the directive. Only Feds have to. But, he sure made a point to draw attention to his "Look at me, I disobeyed Obama" stance.
Conversely, had the media not made a stink about it - "How DARE this guy defy Obama! Its MANDELLA for goodness sake! - no one would have noticed.

You bring up things that happened over 150 years ago to justify your ideological hatred for something that happened there today.

That is so standard libtard totalitarianism it is just goofy.

Nah...it's no big thing. It's like flying a Southern Cross Segregationist flag....just helps point out that type. :D

The vast majority of uses annually of the CBF is for re-enactments and displays of honor to the Confederates who died in a war defending their homes and communities.

But in your ideological wackjob mind, it is all about segregation?

roflmao

Are you going to carry out that threat, tough guy?

Still waiting on Hazltwat to respond on this.

Forum List

Back